PDA

View Full Version : glock sights

steve m
07-24-12, 13:26
Looking for a little help. I have a glock 19, I believe in shooting what you carry for everything. I am looking for different opionions on POA/POI for 10-8 sights vs ameriglo Hacks (tritium dot). I shoot IDPA and carry the glock. I am truly looking for an all around best sight. I currently have the hacks on and at 25m they are a tad wide for the target.

Thanks for all opinions and info.

Sensei
07-24-12, 13:41
I'm a big believer in the the Ameriglo ProGlo (SKU: GL-212-OR-C) front with the rear of your choice (I use Pro Operators). There are several combinations of the orange/green front if you go to AmeriGlo's website.

F-Trooper05
07-24-12, 13:53
I use RB1's and love them.

ridgerunner70
07-24-12, 14:08
RB1's are G2G

SheWantsMyGlock
07-24-12, 14:44
RB1's here as well on my 19. I like them so much I will ordering a set for my 26. My favorite points of them being the blacked out rear with wide notch in addition to the height of the front.

G34Shooter
07-24-12, 14:55
After trying a dozen, I prefer Ameriglo C.A.P.'s

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/IMG_20120721_112107.jpg

okie john
07-24-12, 15:39
Looking for a little help. I have a glock 19, I believe in shooting what you carry for everything. I am looking for different opionions on POA/POI for 10-8 sights vs ameriglo Hacks (tritium dot). I shoot IDPA and carry the glock. I am truly looking for an all around best sight. I currently have the hacks on and at 25m they are a tad wide for the target.

Welcome to the baffling world of pistol sights. The all-around best sight is very much a matter of opinion. Some shooters like fat light bars, others like skinny ones. Some like plain black sights, others like one-, two-, and three-lamp night sights. And some shooters make compelling cases for any combination of those you can imagine. My advice about choosing a sight design is to shoot as many different types as you can before you buy anything else. Hacks are very highly regarded, and you may already have the best setup for your eyes and your needs. Most IDPA matches have a good cross section of sights and most shooters will let you shoot their pistols if you ask politely and have your own factory ammo.

POI varies slightly for each pistol, even those of the same make and model, so I don't think you can necessarily predict it. Sight makers design and build sights to match factory sights heights, which may be problematic if your pistol is an outlier.

For instance, I have a Gen3 G17 that hits 6" high at 25 yards and over a foot high at 50 with 115-grain ball ammo with factory sights. Basically, it's zeroed somewhere between 150 and 175 yards. It hits the exact same place with Trijicon HDs and other sights that are sold as a set. This pistol has been back to Glock, who maintains that it's within factory spec. After months of dicking around trying to get a usable zero with taller front sight blades--and yes, I used Ameriglo's calculator, which also offers an approximation--I finally put an adjustable rear sight on it and had it precisely zeroed 30 rounds later. (For what it's worth, I've worked with about a dozen other Glocks in the last couple of years. All of them hit very close to where the factory sights point, so they work fine with most aftermarket sights.)

I don't find that front sight blade width changes my group size much. I thought for sure that Trijicon HDs would be hopeless beyond 15m or so, but I've shot some very good groups with them, and they're just as wide as Hacks.

Okie John

Striker
07-24-12, 15:46
Welcome to the baffling world of pistol sights. The all-around best sight is very much a matter of opinion. Some shooters like fat light bars, others like skinny ones. Some like plain black sights, others like one-, two-, and three-lamp night sights. And some shooters make compelling cases for any combination of those you can imagine. My advice about choosing a sight design is to shoot as many different types as you can before you buy anything else. Hacks are very highly regarded, and you may already have the best setup for your eyes and your needs. Most IDPA matches have a good cross section of sights and most shooters will let you shoot their pistols if you ask politely and have your own factory ammo.

POI varies slightly for each pistol, even those of the same make and model, so I don't think you can necessarily predict it. Sight makers design and build sights to match factory sights heights, which may be problematic if your pistol is an outlier.

For instance, I have a Gen3 G17 that hits 6" high at 25 yards and over a foot high at 50 with 115-grain ball ammo with factory sights. Basically, it's zeroed somewhere between 150 and 175 yards. It hits the exact same place with Trijicon HDs and other sights that are sold as a set. This pistol has been back to Glock, who maintains that it's within factory spec. After months of dicking around trying to get a usable zero with taller front sight blades--and yes, I used Ameriglo's calculator, which also offers an approximation--I finally put an adjustable rear sight on it and had it precisely zeroed 30 rounds later. (For what it's worth, I've worked with about a dozen other Glocks in the last couple of years. All of them hit very close to where the factory sights point, so they work fine with most aftermarket sights.)

I don't find that front sight blade width changes my group size much. I thought for sure that Trijicon HDs would be hopeless beyond 15m or so, but I've shot some very good groups with them, and they're just as wide as Hacks.

Okie John

John, what rear site did you choose? Is it an adjustable night sight?

okie john
07-24-12, 16:53
John, what rear site did you choose? Is it an adjustable night sight?

The oddball G17 has a Meprolight adjustable rear with a 0.159” notch. The 0.139” post that came with it is too wide for me, so I swapped it for a 0.125" tritium post. I haven’t shot it enough to really have an opinion on it yet, but I find that a notch that is 0.035" to 0.040" wider than the post is faster than sights with a narrower gap, and that things start to slow down again with wider gaps. For instance, a 0.115" post with a 0.215" notch looks like a fencepost on a prairie, and it's hard to find it in a hurry.

The narrowest tritium post I can find is 0.125”, so that means a notch about 0.160” or a bit wider. You have more options with plain black sights. I can hit very quickly with plain black Sevignys, which run 0.115” for the post and 0.150” for the rear.

Right now, I’m testing two G19 setups. One is a 0.125" tritium post and a plain black Warren rear with a custom 0.165" rear notch. The other is the plain black Sevigny set described above. They’re on different slides, and I shoot them on the same lower to keep the trigger pull consistent. On IDPA-type drills, these two are consistently faster for first shot (~0.25 second) and overall drill times (~0.5 to 1.0 seconds) than factory night sights or a stock Warren rear (0.125" notch) and a 0.125" tritium post.

I need to do more accuracy tests before I can comment on their precision.

Okie John

C.Edwards
07-24-12, 19:05
I've been using tfo's for carry/idpa on my g23. I would prefer an all black sight for the rear but can not find any that will work with the tfo front. Poi at 10-15 yards is front dot covering center of target.

I chose these for their visibility in all lightning conditions. My ultimate solution will be to have a g19 to use for idpa.

Sent from my .... Who cares using Tapatalk - not responsible for auto correct.

Shawn.L
07-24-12, 19:23

I run the GL-433 "Hack" set on all my GLOCK's.
I ****ing own 25 yards.
Yes, they are wide, but if your using you top edges and center it then I can shoot 10 ring groups so long as Im doing my part. Of course Im also damn near blind, so the Hack style sights have a lot more appeal to me, if I had stronger eyes and keener vision I might get some advantage out of a thinner front.

VIP3R 237
07-24-12, 19:28
Big fan of the 10-8 .215 front fiber optic and .140 rear on my G23. Nuts accurate, SO much better than factory.
For some reason my camera makes the front look much smaller than it really is.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20120724_183342.jpg

Shawn.L
07-24-12, 19:42
to be clear I hear a lot of which sights are "more accurate"
sights are not in and of themselves accurate, the gun shoots the groups it shoots with or without sights at all. The sights allow the shooter to shoot faster or more precisely based on how the shooter interacts with them. And with everyone's eyesight differing and other factors such as arm length and focal point its no wonder we have such a variety of sights and some shooters who prefer some over others.

JR3
07-24-12, 19:59
I have been running Warren Tactical sights on my 21SF for almost 2 years now and they have been very fast/easy to acquire. They also excell when doing one hand manipulations, which to me is an important factor.

ryu_sekai
07-24-12, 20:49

New favorite are the straight 8 Hienie Ledge.

Striker
07-24-12, 22:37
The oddball G17 has a Meprolight adjustable rear with a 0.159” notch. The 0.139” post that came with it is too wide for me, so I swapped it for a 0.125" tritium post. I haven’t shot it enough to really have an opinion on it yet, but I find that a notch that is 0.035" to 0.040" wider than the post is faster than sights with a narrower gap, and that things start to slow down again with wider gaps. For instance, a 0.115" post with a 0.215" notch looks like a fencepost on a prairie, and it's hard to find it in a hurry.

The narrowest tritium post I can find is 0.125”, so that means a notch about 0.160” or a bit wider. You have more options with plain black sights. I can hit very quickly with plain black Sevignys, which run 0.115” for the post and 0.150” for the rear.

Right now, I’m testing two G19 setups. One is a 0.125" tritium post and a plain black Warren rear with a custom 0.165" rear notch. The other is the plain black Sevigny set described above. They’re on different slides, and I shoot them on the same lower to keep the trigger pull consistent. On IDPA-type drills, these two are consistently faster for first shot (~0.25 second) and overall drill times (~0.5 to 1.0 seconds) than factory night sights or a stock Warren rear (0.125" notch) and a 0.125" tritium post.

I need to do more accuracy tests before I can comment on their precision.

Okie John

Thank you.

ComradeBoris
07-24-12, 22:49
Guess I am an oddball. I have the Defoor tactical sights for my 19 and the same with a trit front on my 17 just to try that combo out. Verdict? I still rather carry a white light and black sights. I have an orange oil marker I use to put some at the base of the front sight for catching my eye, but I like the tip black on my sights. Just a preference after using a bunch of combos. I will likely go back to black on the front of my 17 but at the moment it isn't a priority.

okie john
07-25-12, 00:40
Thank you.

You're welcome.

I just noticed an error in my posts: I have never used Warren sights. I meant to say Dawson. Swap the two words and everything else is the same.

Okie John

okie john
07-25-12, 00:44
Guess I am an oddball. I have the Defoor tactical sights for my 19 and the same with a trit front on my 17 just to try that combo out. Verdict? I still rather carry a white light and black sights.

I'm starting to agree with that. But I worry about fumbling around and dropping my light...

Okie John

Wolf Spyder
07-25-12, 03:59
I thought about switching an adjustable rear night sight, but I want one with protective wings...

Does any one know of anything like this?

steve m
07-25-12, 05:20
I have decided to run the 10-8's. I have also decided that most of you are correct, it is not the sights as much as the shooter. I am gonna make an effort to hit the range at least once a week and shoot at least 30 rds, practicing basic skills.

okie john
07-25-12, 09:30
I thought about switching an adjustable rear night sight, but I want one with protective wings...

Smith made some sights like that back in the 90's, but the Dawsons are pretty burly.

I think adjustables are a viable option. When I was a kid, most cops were issued fixed-sight revolvers but bought adjustable-sight guns as soon as they could afford them.

I read in an AAR that Pat McNamara used adjustable sights on all of his work pistols, including those he took into harm's way. There's a thread about it in the SME section.

Okie John

uwe1
07-25-12, 10:09
As people have already mentioned, POA/POI can vary with different pistols and can change with ammo.

I use Warren Tactical Sevignys tritium front/plain rear. Three of my Glocks shoot about 2"-3" high at 25 yards, requiring a 6:00 hold to land shots into the 10 ring. Another shot the same as the others with the stock barrel, 3" high at 25 yards. I dropped a KKM barrel into this one and it caused the POI to be 5"-6" high at 25 yards. A taller front sight from Ameriglo corrected that problem.

Sights are a very subjective thing and as you try different ones you'll learn your preferences. For me, I prefer a rear sight that extends to the rear of the gun. This gives a more consistent plane of black at the rear sight.

I tried to like the Defoors, a quality and economical option, but didn't like that my eyes could pick up the rear sight plane and the rear of the slide on different focal planes and it was a distraction. Standard Warren Tacticals didn't work for me either because I intuitively tried to pyramid the sights instead of aligning them.

If you end up with multiple Glocks and start playing around with different sight configurations, a sight tool, like the MGW, is extremely helpful to have.

okie john
07-25-12, 18:11
If you end up with multiple Glocks and start playing around with different sight configurations, a sight tool, like the MGW, is extremely helpful to have.

This.

Speaking of which, there's one (not mine) on the Equipment Exchange right now for $80.

Okie John

duece71
07-25-12, 19:06
Heinie Straight 8's Ledge on both Glocks, excellent sight.

ekujustice
07-25-12, 23:47
The sights depend on what you like as far as light on the side. My preference is a very small amount of light on the sides. ie .110 front with a .115 rear Alot of people like the huge rear with a narrow front. for me, that combo is quick to see but slower to shoot. With little light, if i see the front sight, its on target and I know even if it touching either edge its an Alpha.

The_Count
08-13-12, 08:38
I have the MGW Sight Tool. I would be willing to loan it out to any well established member of this site (Say 500 Posts). If you are willing to pay shipping to and from. If interested PM me for info.

TC

Wake27
08-13-12, 09:48
I'm not nearly good enough with handguns to really have much of an opinion here - I'm very much still working on the fundamentals. However, I have the RB1's now, but am planning on changing them. I don't like not having tritium in the rear sight of my handguns. That being said, I'm seriously considering Trijicon HD's becauseive heard they are super fast to acquire.

LtDave
08-14-12, 20:10

MMC made one, but they're no longer around (and not sure about tritium availability). I have a black one on a G19.

Wolf Spyder
08-15-12, 00:04
This is what I am looking for...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/MEPROSIGHTadcom_smallAD-COMML-20225.jpg

from Meprolight, but they are only for the Glock 26, & 27 at this time.

Voodoo_Man
08-15-12, 20:25
I have Ameriglo Pro-I on my G19 and G17.

When they do not wobble crooked or loose they work great.

.45's and .38's
08-16-12, 14:32
Im a huge fan of the tru glo TFO's on a glock. they work amazing in the daytime. brightest sights I have seen yet. JMO