PDA

View Full Version : Why is the bolt catch shaped the way it is?

HKoolaid
07-24-12, 16:13
This is a really esoteric question but I've always wondered about the shape of the bolt catch. What I am meaning specifically is the lower exterior section of the catch. Why does it notch inwards and then extrude outwards again? It would seem much simpler for it to either be completely flat through this section or, if it needs to be notched then to keep it tapered like that all the way through. It's shape implies purpose, but what that purpose is I can't deduce and I've never seen an explanation anywhere. Can anyone enlighten me? I know the answer to this is truly crucial to all here but I've always been curious about it.

wahoo95
07-24-12, 16:36
There are two paddles on the bolt catch......the large one up top for releasing the bolt and the small one at the bottom to assist in locking the bolt back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Gun
07-24-12, 16:37
Damn, I had to go look.

HKoolaid
07-24-12, 16:44
So then the smaller one is actually supposed to be a button to manually lock the bolt back? Interesting that it is shaped the way it is.

wahoo95
07-24-12, 16:45
There is some variance in the shape depending on the maker of the LPK. I prefer the LMT version which has a small but distinct paddle at the bottom.

Pressing in on the lower portion of the lever is faster and easier than trying to lock the bolt back by lifting on the top paddle.

Failure2Stop
07-24-12, 16:51
As I am reading it, the question isn't so much "why is there a lower button" as it is "why bother cutting the notch above the lower button".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wahoo95
07-24-12, 16:53
As I am reading it, the question isn't so much "why is there a lower button" as it is "why bother cutting the notch above the lower button".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Could possibly be to give more tactile feedback....only thing I can think of.

HKoolaid
07-24-12, 16:54

Correct. Since we agree that the lower section needs to be there to be used as a button, then what would the purpose be for it to be shaped like it can be hooked to stuff?

wahoo95
07-24-12, 17:07
Correct. Since we agree that the lower section needs to be there to be used as a button, then what would the purpose be for it to be shaped like it can be hooked to stuff?

Design differences dependent upon manufacturer. Some have a more prominent notch while others don't have much of a nigh at all. Its a cheap part so you can always swap it out if you're concerned about it getting snagged. My personal favorite is the LMT version.

HKoolaid
07-24-12, 17:11
Do you have a source for the LMT bolt catch? I couldn't find it on their website.

Rayrevolver
07-24-12, 17:50
I just got in a Lauer LPK and was under the impression it was also made by LMT.

Here is the bolt catch. Based on some pictures on the net, the LMT seems to be serrated on the lower portion and marked MT.

I wonder who made my Lauer LPK?

Here is link to the LMT catch:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LMP101

TehLlama
07-24-12, 18:01
I'd have been for two comparably sized paddles being part of the original, and while the LMT ones are good, this is the only place where the BAD actually shines, it's much easier to lock the bolt back with a larger target to push.

Quentin
07-25-12, 00:53
ArmaLite's bolt catch is pretty straight forward, no jutting in and out at the bottom like the standard catch. Either design works fine of course.

DSG Arms sells the ArmaLite part if you're interested.

Clint
07-25-12, 01:21
Here is the Armalite catch

http://www.armalite.com/images/Medium%20Images/EL0230medium.jpg

Savior 6
07-25-12, 04:07
The large "paddle" being that it aids to one of the most important funtions of reloading is large and in a conspicuous place so as to have the best probabilty of being actuated.

The little "tit" being an aide to a less needed function is small so as not to cause accidental employment but still being a needed function gives a tactile reference point to confirm you are performing the correct function.

dukduk
07-25-12, 07:41
i want a die or an 8-ball on the large paddle side...obviously not to size though