PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ban Colt Lightweight sporter question

Stinx
07-24-12, 17:12
Did the Colt Lightweight sporters ever come standard with a 3 position collapsible stock.? A local shop has one for sale and claim its unfired. Judging by its condition I belive its never been fired. I have nevr seen a sporter lightweight with a collapsible stock standard.

48J
07-24-12, 18:41
There was a version of the sporter that came with a collapsible stock. That rifle also had the bayonet lug. The version identified as the sporter came with the fixed stock and no bayonet lug. These versions were available in the early nineties with A2 sights.

I do not have my Colt book with or I could give you model numbers. If it is pre ban and unfired it would be a nice find for a collector. If the price were good, I would buy it and shoot the crap out of it. :p

JoshNC
07-24-12, 23:59
I thought all Sporter Lightweight marked rifles (model 6530 if memory serves me) came with A2 stocks and no bayonet lug. These should have all been Blue Label guns. Blue label 6520 Govt Carbines (6520) came with Collapsible stocks and bayo lugs. I don't recall Colt making a factory 3 position collapsible stock, only 2 and 4 position.

I could be wrong and with Colt it is always possible that a run of oddball mix & match parts were assembled and shipped to fill an order.

cqbdriver
07-25-12, 08:20
My lightweight came with A1 length stock, but was made of A2 construction (material & buttplate design). It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, it had the letters CS (S inside the C) written on the side of the stock near the lower receiver.

I don't recall any coming from the factory with collapsible stock, but doesn't that they never did.

You may what to look to see if the Extension Nut (Castle Nut) is staked. If it is, does it look like a factory job or Bubba with a center punch. If it not staked or looks like a drunken monkey did it then it probably wasn't done by the Colt.

Stinx
07-25-12, 21:07
the AR in question