PDA

View Full Version : does drilling a small hole into a quadrail hurt it?

cthompson36
07-24-12, 18:24
Hey guys, I just drilled and tapped a small hole in my quadrail between grooves to be able to install a sling stud because it is easier and smaller than using a rail mounted stud. My problem is when I went to show it to my dad he said that makes the gun dangerous. It's just a handguard, and the hole is less than 1/8" diameter. Can that really hurt it? Thanks

AR15barrels
07-24-12, 18:48
It will be fine.
Some rails even come with tapped holes already in them..

rero360
07-24-12, 18:54
Yup, what Randall said, provided you still have enough meat around the hole drilled you're fine. Worse case scenario is if there are other holes or slots nearby is that the pressure put on the sling stud inducing cracks into the hand guard, but that all depends on the type of material, thickness of material and the distance of the hole from other holes. In all reality though, shouldn't have any problems at all.

cthompson36
07-24-12, 23:33
okay cool. thanks. I drilled it into the thickest and widest part I could. Its just for a bipod anyways

swedeboy
07-25-12, 01:01
My gunsmith is drilling two holes in the Samson evolution rail since they didn't think about putting that A-Arms block back on.

Markasaurus
07-25-12, 08:12
How does drilling a hole make the gun dangerous? The only thing i would do extra is use a screw and nut not a sheet metal screw if the part its going to be stressed, like for a sling swivel (I'm guessing the vanguard is aluminum).

cthompson36
07-25-12, 09:07
My dad has no knowledge of guns. He has never shot one, and hates me having them. He thought the handguard made it an assault rifle, and therefore fully automatic. It is aluminum, but I can't put a nut on it because i drilled in a spot that was too thick and the screw doesn't go out the back. I'm not using it for a sling, just a bipod for the occasion I want to shoot further.

rero360
07-25-12, 11:47
Maybe use the opportunity to teach your dad about firearms, take him to the range, might turn him into a gunny.

Brian Brazier
07-28-12, 19:46
My dad has no knowledge of guns. He has never shot one, and hates me having them. He thought the handguard made it an assault rifle, and therefore fully automatic. It is aluminum, but I can't put a nut on it because i drilled in a spot that was too thick and the screw doesn't go out the back. I'm not using it for a sling, just a bipod for the occasion I want to shoot further.

Sounds like my Dad, as others stated should not effect anything. Technically he is right about the handguard making it an assault weapon, back in the 90's they focused on the handguard, you know "that shoulder thing that goes up" as one of the parts that made an AR (Armalite Rifle) an assault weapon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ba Some female senator made that quote when a reporter asked her what made a rifle a assault rifle.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/barrelshroud.jpg