PDA

View Full Version : Negligent Discharge

heineken42069
01-24-08, 19:05
I'm sure most of you guys have seen this...

Link is on most other forums, mabey even on this one already (i looked did not see it, so if this is a repost im sorry)

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

Jay Cunningham
01-24-08, 19:21
I've seen this before but it's worth a look. It's a graphic reminder of why we strive to become unconsciously competent with our firearms.

heineken42069
01-24-08, 19:25
I've seen this before but it's worth a look. It's a graphic reminder of why we strive to become unconsciously competent with our firearms.

ya, no matter how comfortable i get with my guns, i alsway stick with the triple check, along with the other basic saftey rules...

this guy got LUCKY, i would hate to see what it would have looked like if it would have hit bone...hydoshock is a DEADLY round 4 sure

Jay Cunningham
01-24-08, 19:26
hydoshock is a DEADLY round 4 sure

I agreed with you up until that part...

;)

heineken42069
01-24-08, 19:45
I agreed with you up until that part...

;)

why dont you like hydroshock rounds, you have me peranoid now, i have these in my SHTF stash...

in my bedside gun though i have extreme shock fange face rounds...

Redmanfms
01-24-08, 21:12
why dont you like hydroshock rounds, you have me peranoid now, i have these in my SHTF stash...

in my bedside gun though i have extreme shock fange face rounds...

Hydroshoks are 20 year old tech. There is much better stuff available.

Everything I've ever read or heard (from compentent sources at least) states that Extreme Shock is a gimmick. In fact, our own DocGKR examined the rounds in a thread on tactical forums and found that ALL the claims made by the manufacturer are bullshit.

heineken42069
01-24-08, 21:53
Hydroshoks are 20 year old tech. There is much better stuff available.

Everything I've ever read or heard (from compentent sources at least) states that Extreme Shock is a gimmick. In fact, our own DocGKR examined the rounds in a thread on tactical forums and found that ALL the claims made by the manufacturer are bullshit.

i know extreme shock is more of a gimmick round, but i thought hydoshoks were tryed and true...what rounds then would you recomend in a .45 ACP for self defence? just average holopoints? give me some recomondations if you dont mind please...i love to get all the opinions and info i can.

John_Wayne777
01-24-08, 22:02
Thumbs up for a post reminding us about safety!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/kaizerandkitty/Thumb6.jpg

John_Wayne777
01-24-08, 22:03
i know extreme shock is more of a gimmick round, but i thought hydoshoks were tryed and true...what rounds then would you recomend in a .45 ACP for self defence? just average holopoints? give me some recomondations if you dont mind please...i love to get all the opinions and info i can.

Take a look at what DocGKR (an IP here as well as a moderator at Tactical Forums) wrote in this thread:
http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964

He gives lots of good options.

Redmanfms
01-24-08, 22:04

I'm not the ballistician, Doc is. You might want to shoot him a PM.

The Hydroshoks work, but they aren't a mystically deadly round and it has expansion troubles through clothing, which I think was what Thekatar was getting at. If they work for you in your weapon I'd recommend that you just keep using them, but I'm not an expert.

ETA: John got it.

Deadduck
01-24-08, 22:05
My Father-in-law did amost the exact same thing when he was a teenager, except that his did a lot more damage. Instead of going in and out cleanly, it ripped a large chuck out of his calf, traveled down his leg took a big peice out of his foot. His is still somewhat crippled because of it.

Jay Cunningham
01-24-08, 22:12
The Hydroshoks work, but they aren't a mystically deadly round and it has expansion troubles through clothing, which I think was what Thekatar was getting at. If they work for you in your weapon I'd recommend that you just keep using them, but I'm not an expert.

What he said.

PaulL
01-24-08, 23:11
I used to chat with a guy at some IDPA club matches who had a roommate ND a .45 in an apartment they were staying in. Same type of situation as this story - user was familiar with firearms, but cocky about safety. The guy told me his roommate was dry-firing towards an interior wall, and somehow chambered a 230gr ball round. The round penetrated 3 walls and finally lodged in an exterior wall without hitting anyone. I believe they were thrown out of the apartment, but no criminal charges were filed against the shooter.

Needless to say, the guy found another roommate...:rolleyes:

ToddG
01-25-08, 08:09
I think it's dangerous (and a disservice to the shooting community) to think of people who have ADs (or NDs if you prefer) as "cocky" or otherwise generally irresponsible. Why? Because it makes light of the reality. Reality is that anyone, no matter how experienced, can have an AD if he gets too casual or comfortable with safety procedures.

I know a few people who've had what I consider "serious" ADs. All of them are well-respected shooters and instructors. All of them are extremely safe gun handlers. All of them had brain farts.

While things like muzzle awareness and trigger finger position should become automatic, basic safe gun handling should always involve a very conscious element. I've seen far too many "unconsciously competent" shooters AD because they were on autopilot, running through the motions without really using their eyeballs and brains.

markm
01-25-08, 09:16
I think it's dangerous (and a disservice to the shooting community) to think of people who have ADs (or NDs if you prefer) as "cocky" or otherwise generally irresponsible. Why? Because it makes light of the reality. Reality is that anyone, no matter how experienced, can have an AD if he gets too casual or comfortable with safety procedures.

I know a few people who've had what I consider "serious" ADs. All of them are well-respected shooters and instructors. All of them are extremely safe gun handlers. All of them had brain farts.

While things like muzzle awareness and trigger finger position should become automatic, basic safe gun handling should always involve a very conscious element. I've seen far too many "unconsciously competent" shooters AD because they were on autopilot, running through the motions without really using their eyeballs and brains.

I agree. cocky and irresponsible would be dry fire practicing at your dog or neighbor... and then.... oops. :confused:

I have an old Ruger Mk I 22 rimfire pistol that doesn't have a bolt lockback on the last shot. I was dry firing it (so I thought) into the ground to put it away. Thankfully my mind always goes into the "point in a safe direction" mode even if I'm "sure" the chamber is empty. Anyway I shot the round into the ground right by me. My buddy thought I shot myself by my reaction. My legs tried to jump up into my ass when that live round went off!

PaulL
01-25-08, 10:41

I agree with you there, and I hope my comment didn't come across like I think all ND/AD are because of an irresponsible attitude. This particular guy was one of the "I've got mad skillz with a gun so it won't happen to me" types. To me, that's cocky. Like you said, that's not really the same as a highly competent shooter having a ND/AD during a function check, etc. on the range.

Personally, I've not had it happen with a firearm. I did, however, shoot my ceiling with a paintball gun once. The hours it took to clean the paint spray off of every surface in the room gave me time to reflect on proper safety procedure. ;)

GLP Standard
01-25-08, 11:07
Thumbs up for a post reminding us about safety!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/kaizerandkitty/Thumb6.jpg

Oh. My. God.

........... :eek:

Nathan_Bell
01-25-08, 11:20
Oh. My. God.

........... :eek:

That picture makes MY hand hurt.

rathos
01-25-08, 13:49
If you think thats bad, a guy I sold a glock 22 came in with a hole through his left hand. Ended up he took out the mag, didn' t clear the chamber, pulled down the takedown levers and pulled the trigger. His hand was in front of the barrel, and he ended up putting a 180 hydra shock through his hand. Luckily he will regain full use of his hand, but he won't get all feeling back into it. He also brought in pictures, but asked that I not publish them.

markm
01-25-08, 14:01
Ended up he took out the mag, didn' t clear the chamber, pulled down the takedown levers and pulled the trigger. His hand was in front of the barrel, and he ended up putting a 180 hydra shock through his hand.

Not very bright. I've never had to put any part of my hand in front of the muzzle to take my G22 down. And I double and triple check the chamber before I dry fire the pistol in a SAFE direction for take down.

John_Wayne777
01-25-08, 20:34
That picture makes MY hand hurt.

That's what happens when you put your thumb near the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone on a S&W 460 XVR revolver.