PDA

View Full Version : Vltor VIS-KM (Keymod) - official release of information

militarymoron
07-25-12, 11:36
Eric Kincel has given me the green light to officially release the information here on M4C, on behalf of Vltor Weapon Systems. Here is his statement to the shooting industry:

To the Firearm Industry and Shooting Public,

Introducing the Vltor KeyMod system.
The concept has been bouncing around in my mind (and the Vltor offices) for a few years now and it’s finally become reality. I first introduced the KeyMod Tech data package to friends in the community, starting with Noveske.

The design is nothing major or earth shattering, it’s just something I thought was needed for the industry. My goal is for the industry to make this system a standard; working in parallel with the Picatinny rail; not replacing it. I’m not taking credit for coming up with this “keyhole” design, because I found out a year and a half ago that Accuracy International was working on a similar program. Also, it’s hard to take credit for a design that’s been around for 100+ years, i.e. warehouse shelving, scaffolding, etc.. Plus, with close examination of the A.I. key slot design, there are a number of improvements that the KeyMod covered and improved upon.

The main difference is in the mounting and re-zeroing capabilities of the component. In addition, A.I.’s design was never taken into consideration for counter-recoil but recoil only.

With this official introduction, I’m releasing the prints (shown below) to the firearm industry, so fellow companies can develop their own rail systems/platforms utilizing the KeyMod configuration. I added a sample component print (4-inch rail section) showing the mating interface to the outside of the platform surface. I also included a picture of the accessory nut that interfaces/ indexes to the chamfered surface on the backside of the platform. Please note the nut has a counter bore, so the mating screw can be distorted at the tip. The thread distortion will stop the screw from backing out, making the accessory a self contained, self centering, “drop and slide” mounting component. As you can imagine, there are a number of companies that are already developing and/or manufacturing components that mount directly to the slots. For example, Noveske and I are making our own rail panels, to work with “our” platform requirements. Other items being developed are VFGs, handstops, bipods, light, sight and sling mounts. The possibilities are endless.

In all, I see this design as being a viable solution to limit the use of the aging “cheese grater” Picatinny Rail and/or multiple mounting points, which require threads, Helicoils and thread inserts. It is time to move on and I think the industry is ready for it.

With the amount of enthusiasm I've seen so far, I think there will be a lot of fresh ideas for both the rail system and accessory world. There’s more than enough market for all of us to benefit from this KeyMod system, which is why Vltor is releasing the Data Pack into the public domain. Any manufacturer is free to use the Data Package for manufacturing their own Keymod handguards or related mounting accessories without needing consent from Vltor.

If I can help in any way with this project, please feel free to contact me.
Take care, I hope to hear from you soon.

Eric S. Kincel
General Manager
Vltor Weapon Systems

The drawings below are in the public domain and are free to use. Note that these have been updated in October: Full .pdf file can be downloaded here (http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/KEY%20MOD%20DIMS%20OCT%202012.PDF). (right click and 'save link as')

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm7.jpg

Rendered images:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/VISKMrender2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/VISKM12b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/VISKM12c.jpg

Weight savings compared to existing VIS (KM prototypes shown):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm4.jpg

Additional images of lower handguard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/viskm1.jpg

Vltor will be offering the same four lengths as before (7, 9, 10 and 12-inch). Each VIS KM version averages a 6 ounce weight reduction over the original VIS system. Relevant to suppressor users, the internal dimension of the VIS KM is 1.400" (without the heat shield) and 1.125" with heat shield. The outside diameter is 1.725 inches. The total height (from the top of the Picatinny Rail to the bottom handguard) is 2.125".

Noveske will be getting the first quantity of VIS KMs, followed by the release to the general public, under the Vltor banner.

More information will follow as it's released.

El Cid
07-25-12, 11:46
Nice! I hope it takes off! I'm rather tired of dealing with proprietary designs.

rob_s
07-25-12, 11:59
Great!

Now get me Keymod covers and VFG (because apparently I have all sissy-ass office hands and don't like wrapping around something that burns them) and I'm anxious to give either this or the Noveske examples a try.

ETA:
anyone have the OD of the male end of a QD sling swivel? Or the ID of the female cup?

Noodles
07-25-12, 12:00
Looks great!

I'm definitely liking the public domain part, good show Vltor! I still don't like the look of their brass deflector and forward assist chunky box, but you can't have everything. :)

Ironman8
07-25-12, 12:04
So it seems that the weigh savings of the VIS-KM over the standard VIS will be somewhere between 4-6 oz. depending on the model.

I'm guessing that the 9" VIS-KM will save about 4.5 oz, correct?

This may be an ignorant question, but will 4.5 oz be extremely noticeable if I were to switch my standard VIS over to the KM?

deviljon
07-25-12, 12:29
Looks like a great design! A qd keymod picatinny rail offered in different sizes would allow users to swap entire rail attachment setups over to another rifle in a few seconds. Call it the recon-figure. :)

Amur
07-25-12, 12:53
I would be interested in MUR+NSR for comparision weight as well.

Thanks for continuing to put out quality cutting edge products.

35percent
07-25-12, 14:13
Yup, this is pretty freakin cool. Very nice.

M4Fundi
07-25-12, 14:15
So it seems that the weigh savings of the VIS-KM over the standard VIS will be somewhere between 4-6 oz. depending on the model.

I'm guessing that the 9" VIS-KM will save about 4.5 oz, correct?

This may be an ignorant question, but will 4.5 oz be extremely noticeable if I were to switch my standard VIS over to the KM?

Yes. It depends on how you look at it I guess. If you are doing a hundred presentations a day or one hundred target transitions with your rifle one ounce can really add up after awhile even if you do not notice it on the first few movements up or side to side. It will make a difference for me.

ROG Tactical
07-25-12, 18:06
With this official introduction, I’m releasing the prints (shown below) to the firearm industry, so fellow companies can develop their own rail systems/platforms utilizing the KeyMod configuration. I added a sample component print (4-inch rail section) showing the mating interface to the outside of the platform surface. I also included a picture of the accessory nut that interfaces/ indexes to the chamfered surface on the backside of the platform. Please note the nut has a counter bore, so the mating screw can be distorted at the tip. The thread distortion will stop the screw from backing out, making the accessory a self contained, self centering, “drop and slide” mounting component. As you can imagine, there are a number of companies that are already developing and/or manufacturing components that mount directly to the slots. For example, Noveske and I are making our own rail panels, to work with “our” platform requirements. Other items being developed are VFGs, handstops, bipods, light, sight and sling mounts. The possibilities are endless.

Awesome! Time to hurry up and get my 3D Printer extruders calibrated!

SpankMonkey
07-25-12, 18:59
MM thank you, this is pretty cool. Always like seeing new stuff. Any idea when the public release will be? Any idea on price yet?

BigLarge
07-25-12, 20:05
Looks great!

I'm definitely liking the public domain part, good show Vltor! I still don't like the look of their brass deflector and forward assist chunky box, but you can't have everything. :)

agreed with all of that!

ROG Tactical
07-25-12, 20:42
I would be interested in MUR+NSR for comparision weight as well.

Thanks for continuing to put out quality cutting edge products.

MUR+NSR 11" = 1 lb 4.1 oz (including barrel nut and screws)
MUR+NSR 13.5" = 1 lb 5.4 oz (including barrel nut and screws)

barrel nut + screw weight = 3.6 oz

ROG Tactical
07-25-12, 20:46
Noveske will be getting the first quantity of VIS KMs...

I just noticed this statement. I guess I was told wrong by someone at Noveske :cray:

MOUNT-N-SLOT
07-26-12, 14:50
Hi Eric,

Thanks for making the prints available. It will speed up our R&D for sure!

IWC will be making a version of our RADIAL UNIVERSAL (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/radial-universal-light-mount-n-slot-for-handheld-lights/) Light MOUNT-N-SLOT as well as the Haley Strategic DROPWING ADAPTIVE Light Mounts (http://www.haleystrategic.com/store/dropwing.php) for the KeyMod system.

Plans call for product to be available in 8 weeks or less, with no price increase for the KeyMod products.

We really like this system and applaud the efforts of the Teams at VLTOR & NOVESKE who commercialized this design for firearms and chose to release it to the Industry.

Sincerely,

Earl Pittman - A.K.A. MOUNT-N-SLOT
Partner - IWC

Hehuhates
07-26-12, 15:20
so, do the heat shields just pop in and out?

John W
07-26-12, 18:58
Right on guys! Thanks for sharing and I hope this takes off!

boltcatch
08-11-12, 16:42
These look fantastic. Weight is the only thing I don't like about the VIS, so it's cool to see something lighter.

For those who haven't assembled an upper with a VIS before, they're about as easy as it gets.

buckjay
08-11-12, 21:33
The nut/wrench looks pretty similar to the URX nut and wrench. It will be interesting to see how they price the wrench/nuts in comparassion to Knights.

panzerr
08-11-12, 22:22
I have viewed monolithic rail systems as a way to limited a user's options. After all, you can't try out a different rail system or different length for that matter. You are stuck with what you have. However, this new keymod monolithic is so slick it may drive me to get one just for something different. I am looking forward to seeing one in person.

bp7178
08-11-12, 22:47
The nut/wrench looks pretty similar to the URX nut and wrench. It will be interesting to see how they price the wrench/nuts in comparassion to Knights.

Looks exactly like the old VIS barrel nut and wrench. Price...$19.95 each.

KAC is very proud of their barrel nut wrench.

First think I thought of when I saw the keymod VIS was that I wanted to post a pic of it and caption it, "Look Noveske...a heatshield..."

My other thought was that Vltor needs to drop the white letter logos already. Theres something classy about a nice subdued engraved logo/lettering. I get that this creates production problems, ie that when a rail system is made, it could either be marked Vltor or Noveske, and engraving it would have to be done prior to anodizing.

But if anyone in the manufacturing side of the industry is reading, drop the white lettering. Engraved, ok...white lettering...tacky.

SFCRoOKs415
08-13-12, 23:33
Subscribing looking forward to this

markm
08-14-12, 08:14

I always get a kick out of the instructions that come with the VIS. The ominous wrench warning "one time use", "dispose of immediately" or whatever.

Hey, VLTOR! I used one wrench for two installs on Friday!! :p

Stickman
08-14-12, 10:15
Hey, VLTOR! I used one wrench for two installs on Friday!! :p

Two times on one day? You are going straight to hell for that one....

markm
08-14-12, 10:29
Two times on one day? You are going straight to hell for that one....

Actually it was separate days. But still. I totally used the wrench TWICE!

M4Fundi
08-14-12, 15:49
That 2nd rifle will always be suspect now, you should send it to me for a thorough eval:p

VLODPG
08-14-12, 19:55

Mine came with the upper!

cop1211
08-14-12, 22:05
I might have missed it, does anyone know if the handguard circumference is the same as the NSR?

jaxman7
08-14-12, 22:40
I might have missed it, does anyone know if the handguard circumference is the same as the NSR?

Was curious about this myself. It definitely looks wider at the base and has a different profile for the most part. I am sure (as pertaining to the more squared off profile at the bottom) this has to do with the removable lower section.

For reference my own NSR:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/IMG_20120814_222400.jpg

And a pic from MM earlier in the thread:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/VISKM12b.jpg

CoryCop25
08-14-12, 22:44
I have two VIS poly uppers a VIS-2A (10 inch) and a VIS-3 (12 inch) both are substantially thinner in comparison to the DD Lite Rail due to the tucked in bottom rail so this new VIS-KM is going to be quite thin. I am not sure how it will compete with the NSR or Troy Alpha in weight but let's not forget that this is still very light for billet.

M4Fundi
08-14-12, 23:54
This is from Eric K. at VLTOR

"Vltor will be offering the same four lengths as before (7, 9, 10 and 12-inch). Each VIS KM version averages a 6 ounce weight reduction over the original VIS system. Relevant to suppressor users, the internal dimension of the VIS KM is 1.400" (without the heat shield) and 1.125" with heat shield. The outside diameter is 1.725 inches. The total height (from the top of the Picatinny Rail to the bottom handguard) is 2.125"."

echang86
09-05-12, 04:15
Anyone hear updates on this rail?

WS6
09-06-12, 18:48
So...can you use a heat-shield AND a VFG, or will mounting the VFG take up too much space to install the heat shield?

militarymoron
09-06-12, 19:16
as i understand it, the heatshield doesn't interfere with mounting KM accessories to the rail. the heatshield will be riveted in, like the VIS, and is not meant to be taken on and off. but, the user can remove it permanently if desired.

WS6
09-06-12, 19:23
as i understand it, the heatshield doesn't interfere with mounting KM accessories to the rail. the heatshield will be riveted in, like the VIS, and is not meant to be taken on and off. but, the user can remove it permanently if desired.

So you attach stuff without going "inside" the rail, all the "work" by the user happens from the outside?

militarymoron
09-06-12, 19:47
So you attach stuff without going "inside" the rail, all the "work" by the user happens from the outside?

yes, correct.

WS6
09-06-12, 20:11
yes, correct.

Is the 6oz weigh savings across the board, or is it different on different lengths? THe word that makes me ask is "...averages..." I cannot see how it shaves the same amount of weight off of 11" of rail as it does off of 7" of rail. Specifically, I am curious about weight savings with regards to the 7" platform.

Based on my calculations, I come up with 4.2oz weight savings. Then considering I want to run my LaRue FUG and my scout in a LaRue QD mount, and that most 5-slot 1913 sections weigh 1oz, I will end up with at best a 2.2oz lighter platform which adds the complexity of 4 additional screws which could theoretically loosen, but while gaining ergonomics.

On the shorter rails, it seems almost to be a wash/user-preference issue to me. I think this system really shines in the longer rails for the most part.

Just my .02, but maybe I've got things all backwards.

Stickman
09-06-12, 20:38

That is the beauty of it.

VLODPG
09-06-12, 22:05
So the question is: When is Noveske going to have them for builds?

WS6
09-06-12, 22:15
So the question is: When is Noveske going to have them for builds?

I have an upper on order right now and want to know this as well. It is being held up by another component's availability, and I won't be able to actually USE it until the ATF says so, so I want to know if I should ask that they hold off until the polylithic Keymod is available...

jaxman7
09-06-12, 22:16
That is the beauty of it.

Yep because it stinks trying to mount something like a magpul moe rail section backing plate on the inside of a slim rail. Especially when having to maneuver that backing plate around the gas block and keep it lined up at the same time.

-Jax

CodeRed30
09-06-12, 23:28

Just remember- Ounces equal pounds. Pounds equal pain.

WS6
09-06-12, 23:53
Just remember- Ounces equal pounds. Pounds equal pain.

Yes, but there is a law of diminishing returns. 2 cases of ammo to run drills with...or a 4.5oz lighter weapon and 2,000 rounds less training that year, might be the real question being asked.

militarymoron
09-07-12, 08:26
Based on my calculations, I come up with 4.2oz weight savings.
you don't have enough information on the VIS KM to make accurate calculations.

the scale readings for the 10" and 12" are at the bottom of my writeup: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers5.html#viskm

Ironman8
09-07-12, 09:08

the scale readings for the 10" and 12" are at the bottom of my writeup: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers5.html#viskm

Have one for the 9"?

militarymoron
09-07-12, 10:09
sorry - not yet.

Treehopr
09-25-12, 21:52
Any updates on when this will be available commercially?

CodeRed30
09-25-12, 21:58
Yes, but there is a law of diminishing returns. 2 cases of ammo to run drills with...or a 4.5oz lighter weapon and 2,000 rounds less training that year, might be the real question being asked.

I see your argument.

WS6
09-25-12, 22:27

The weight of the receiver end is not changing. What is changing is the length of the piece on the "rail" end. That means we can assume that for any length reduction, it is a constant, as the shape and material is symmetrical on this end. Thus, any reduction in length will have a constant, regarding weight-loss.

The 10" KM weighs 5 oz less than the 10" VIS
The 12" KM weighs 6.2 oz less than the 12" VIS

This means that there is a 0.6 oz per-inch weigh savings for the KM over the VIS, and as previously discussed, the receiver end is a constant while the "rail" end is what changes, physically, thus these weights can be extrapolated over the length of the system until the receiver is reached.

Using this method, one can rather closely determine that the 7" KM will only save only 3.2 oz over the 7" VIS. My previous of 4.2 was on the presumption that the "average weight savings was 6oz" and I used the 10" rail as a reference point. This was incorrect.

Ergo, I think it reasonable to state that it can be presumed that the 7" KM will only weigh roughly 3oz less than the 7" VIS.

Then you take into account that each 5-slot rail section you attach is going to weigh around 0.9oz.

It becomes about feel/rail-size and user preference.

Of course, I could be all wrong, but that's how I see it, and the math that gets me there. That's my prediction, and I look forward to vindication or eating crow, when the 7" system's weight is revealed.

VIS 7" = 21.5 oz.

The VIS-KM 7" will weigh within 1 oz of 18.3oz. That's my prediction.

devinsdad
09-25-12, 22:43
Was looking at one last week, very nice upgrade for Vltor.

militarymoron
09-25-12, 22:49
that makes more sense now and i agree, it should be pretty close.

loganp0916
10-08-12, 22:33
This looks really good to me right now. Anyone have any idea when they'll be released to the public?

fallenromeo
10-09-12, 11:19
Very interested in when these will be available for sale to the public

T-TAC
10-09-12, 15:36
These will be available for sale the day after the "Bren Ten" hits the market! :D

ESK
10-09-12, 15:47
Actually, that's kinda funny.. :D

These will be available for sale the day after the "Bren Ten" hits the market! :D

M4Fundi
10-09-12, 19:40
Actually, that's kinda funny.. :D

So Eric...... any sort of soft ETA on the VIS-KM ????:D

Steve S.
10-10-12, 00:13

Why drudge up bad things from the past and make us all remember them? :p

I'm STILL pissed the Bren Ten turned into vaporware.

T-TAC
10-10-12, 05:33
Because Viltor kept everybody wanting one, through two, maybe three Shot Shows. I read on the 10mm forum that there were people that had placed prepaid orders with Bass pro shop.
There were buyers with 10 to 5 grand on deposit with Bass Pro.
At least have the guts to come out and tell the public that supports your company. "Hey we bought the rights to it. we tried to build it. But we can't make it work".
Instead we get "Here is a new rail system what do you think".

No before anybody starts, I'm not Trolling. But I was one of the hopefuls that was wishing the Bren Ten became reality.

WS6
10-10-12, 07:33
I've been keeping up with the VIS-KM, and I'm not holding my breath for a 2012 product release. In fact, if someone would like to take a bet...

BJV
11-03-12, 16:42
No bet here, but I'd go for an update of some kind.

militarymoron
11-03-12, 17:45
well, it is kind of trolling because this thread is about the Vltor KM, not the bren ten. i've explained it before - the bren ten does not have the same priority as vltor's other projects. they're unrelated projects with different priorities, so you can't use one as an estimate of when we'll see a KM. the holdup on the KM is because that it's behind other jobs in the abrams airborne factory schedule. while abrams owns vltor, vltor doesn't necessarily get priority. they have to stand in line as well.

also, what happened with bass pro has nothing to do with vltor.

On the fortis blog, vltor states "we have not committed to any pre-orders or sales agreements, nor have we received any down payment for any of the Bren Ten pistols."

vltor has not accepted any money for the bren ten/fortis project, or purchase orders, or committed to a delivery date.
what bass pro did was of their own accord, not based on any contract or purchase order from vltor. it is solely between bass pro shop and those who put down money; vltor had no part in that. vltor will not take any actual orders until they're sure that they're ready to ship.

Because Viltor kept everybody wanting one, through two, maybe three Shot Shows. I read on the 10mm forum that there were people that had placed prepaid orders with Bass pro shop.
There were buyers with 10 to 5 grand on deposit with Bass Pro.
At least have the guts to come out and tell the public that supports your company. "Hey we bought the rights to it. we tried to build it. But we can't make it work".
Instead we get "Here is a new rail system what do you think".

No before anybody starts, I'm not Trolling. But I was one of the hopefuls that was wishing the Bren Ten became reality.

militarymoron
11-05-12, 21:11
Vltor has just released an updated drawing for the KeyMod dimensions, which now includes a minimum flat section width for KM-compatible handguards. Download the latest drawing revision here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/KEY%20MOD%20DIMS%20OCT%202012.PDF

Snipe315
11-06-12, 10:29
These KeyMod uppers do look very nice.

I decided to ditch my LMT MRPs for the Vltor VIS right before these KeyMods were announced. Now I might wait and see if I like them more than the regular VIS.

Hoping to see a complete rifle wearing a KM soon. :)

tw4
11-12-12, 10:59
Its done Im selling my old vis noveske 10.5 !!!

markm
11-12-12, 11:03
Its done Im selling my old vis noveske 10.5 !!!

AMEN! You don't want to be caught with last seasons systems!

A huge fashion NO NO!!:D

tw4
11-12-12, 11:15
I didn't care for the nsr- the vis km looks sweet- I have been striving for a smaller foot print rail since my POF predetor rail
I might go 12.5 and a 9. Right now I'm rocking a 10.5 with a 7

tw4
11-12-12, 11:17
Whos is already making rail covers? Or is everyone upswing oven mitts when shooting?

gamewarden
12-04-12, 14:01
I'm hoping for a .308 version to be released at SHOT...maybe a project with Noveske?! One can dream...

Snipe315
12-04-12, 19:52
After doing some additional research and talking to a few folks, it looks like I'll be keeping my LMT MRPs. They still offer a better option for swapping out the barrel. The fact that VLTOR doesn't offer their reusable armor's wrench (and neither does anyone else I've checked... including Brownells) really lowers my intended use for this kind of system.

:(

It's still a very nice looking setup that I'll be watching develop.

Ironman8
12-04-12, 20:13
After doing some additional research and talking to a few folks, it looks like I'll be keeping my LMT MRPs. They still offer a better option for swapping out the barrel. The fact that VLTOR doesn't offer their reusable armor's wrench (and neither does anyone else I've checked... including Brownells) really lowers my intended use for this kind of system.

:(

It's still a very nice looking setup that I'll be watching develop.

I've used mine numerous times...but don't tell anyone! :eek:

Not to mention they're pretty cheap if you do need another one.

Just sayin.

Jaysop
01-16-14, 19:25
Anyone know what the status of these monolithic keymod uppers are?
Has anyone touched one at shot yet?

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/VISKM12b.jpg

jaxman7
01-16-14, 20:11
Wondering the same thing. I will say Vltor is my favorite AR based company but they seem (to me at least) to be in a state of limbo lately. The Keymod VIS isn't out yet. Kincel left. I have been trying to buy another Vltor lower for well over a year now and they aren't out there. This isn't bashing them. Like I said Vltor is on the top of my list but not much coming out of them lately. Maybe some SHOT info will (hopefully) prove me incorrect.

-Jax

VIP3R 237
01-16-14, 20:32
May is the release date, and the design has changed. Ill throw up a picture tomorrow.

tw4
01-16-14, 20:34
I just picked them up at the shot show I was very impressed.
Super light one piece- they will ship in a week or 2

tw4
01-16-14, 20:37
I took some shitty pics I'll post Saturday- my phone was some weird mode
- I will say that shot show was keymod crazy
Everyone had a version

Jaysop
01-16-14, 23:39
So wait. Are they coming out in May or are the shipping in a few weeks?
A 12" or 13" would be perfect. I'm kinda waiting on the BCM upper but I'd take this one over it.

tw4
01-16-14, 23:54
The rep told me 2 weeks they just Finnished making a judgment on the take down lever-
It sticks out on the demos and they got bad feed back on it-
I'll swing by tomorrow and confirm

Jaysop
01-17-14, 09:19
I'd love to see the pics and your overall impressions.

Did you happen to catch what the price would be on these?

tw4
01-17-14, 10:22
7-9 hundred retail is what he said- they had keymod a for scars , FAL, etc..
I'm head over now

scatsob
01-17-14, 10:28
I would like to see some pictures as well. Does this mean they are discontinuing the regular VIS uppers?

kirito
01-17-14, 12:14
May is the release date, and the design has changed. Ill throw up a picture tomorrow.

Yes and agreed w/ Vip3r, I was also advised May as well per Vltor rep. This is one of my new favorite keymod rails that I saw at SHOT show. The sleekness without the overbearing wideness made this fit perfect in my hand comfortably. Can't wait for this to come out. This has become my 2nd favorite rail aside from Geissele.

tw4
01-17-14, 16:26
Yes talk to guy who seem more knowledgable about there product - orders are being taking for dilivery in May
they have to make adjustment to the lever releasing the bottom portion of the rail.

VIP3R 237
01-17-14, 20:52
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140117_111333_LLS_zpsddb23eba.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140117_111655_LLS_zps647cf5af.jpg

Swag
01-17-14, 21:38
Extreme hotness...

scatsob
01-18-14, 07:38
Wow, both of those look amazing. The top one reminds me of a KAC URX 3.1.

VIP3R 237
01-18-14, 15:11
Wow, both of those look amazing. The top one reminds me of a KAC URX 3.1.

Similar design, the textured section on the sides is extremely aggressive, you will want to wear gloves if it stands through production.

tw4
01-19-14, 00:44
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/713/0ee0.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/jt0ee0j)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/24/kxw9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/0okxw9j)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/845/5udd.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nh5uddj)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/208/f4q5.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/5sf4q5j)

2011BLDR
01-20-14, 12:47
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140117_111333_LLS_zpsddb23eba.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140117_111655_LLS_zps647cf5af.jpg

To clear things up the top VIS is the new SlimLine:
Versatile Interface Structure – Slim Line (VIS-SL)

Vltor Weapons Systems (VWS) has conducted extensive research and development in the area of upper receivers and railed hand guards for the M16 family of assault rifles to address the demands of modern warfare and the needs of our modern war fighters this has resulted in several innovative products:

• CASV (adopted by U.S Navy EOD Teams)
• Gen 1 VIS
• VIS-A5
• VIS KeyMod

The VIS –SL is the newest product in this evolution and was and is based on lessons learned from over a decade of continual combat operations.

All VIS receivers are a monolithic railed upper receiver that are of polylithic construction, two components that are permanently bonded together prior to machining of the 12 o’clock rail. This allows free floating of the barrel without the increased stresses placed on the bolt and barrel extension portion of the upper receiver that traditional rail/ hand guard systems exhibit. Traditional rail/ hand guard systems have 100% of the rail / hand guard weight and the weight of any enablers used supported only by the barrel nut on the relatively short barrel extension.

VIS –SL incorporates the following features:

• Four short sections of fixed M1913 rails at the rear and forward locations in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions that support legacy M1913 enablers such as:

 Offset iron sights
 Offset Mini Red Dot (MRD) CQB sights
 Visible Lights

• Four integrated Quick Disconnect Sling (QDS) pockets are co-located with the fixed M1913 in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions.

• The hand guard body along the 3:00 and 9:00 positions between the four short sections of fixed M1913 rails is slimed down offering the fallowing enhancements:

 The transition between the slim section and the fixed M1913 rails gives the shooter:

 Enhanced ergonomics, lowers the profile of the system in the primary griping area
 Integrated hand stop
 Integrated index points
 Integrated thumb rest / gas pedal

 The slim section is textured for enhanced grip to aid the shooter with:

 Driving the muzzle between targets
 CQB muzzle strikes
 CQB weapons retention
 Side bracing in a improvised rest ( window or door jamb)

No KeyMod holes are present in this area to eliminate the pinch and
snag hazards they would present in a CQB environment. This texture is
aggressive enough that many shooters don’t feel the need for a add on
hand stop or angled fore grip device in the 6:00 o’clock position of the
hand guard.

• KeyMod direct mounting points at the 1:30 and 10:30 positions are not designed to accept rails they are optimized for low profile mounting of KeyMod enablers such as:

 Offset iron sights
 Offset Mini Red Dot (MRD) CQB sights
 Visible Lights

• The bottom of the hand guard along the 6:00 position incorporates the following features:

 Removable lower hand guard for M203 mounting
 Wide flat bottom that aids in a improvised rest
 No mounting points in the 4:30 and 7:30 this lowers the profile of the system in the primary griping area
 Full length KeyMod along the 6:00 o’clock position

VIS –SL incorporates key features to support legacy M1913 enablers as well as emerging KeyMod enablers while also incorporating features that enhance the shooter to weapon interface in a slim and light package.

Out.
2011BLDR

loganp0916
01-20-14, 13:08
Is that supposed to be released at the same time as the VIS-KM?

kwelz
01-20-14, 14:51
that slimline is sexy. I think once my current issues are worked out I will be looking into one of those.