PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in

joeyprice
07-25-12, 13:49
I've never owned an AR before, but I've decided to give one a go.
It will mainly be for plinking etc. out to about 300 yards.

My original plan was to go with a PSA upper like this one
http://goo.gl/yyyyk

A buddy has a YHM stripped lower he was going to xfer to me and I was going to use std. M4 stock.
I hadn't really settled on the BCG or LPK yet. What I'm wondering is....
I talked to some guy on anther form that said he doesn't like to mix uppers from company A and BCGs from company B, for several reasons that I can't even remember right now. That is all fine and dandy except I can't find an upper in my budget that has doesn't have the bolt carriers on back order.

Is it OK to mix and match the upper and the bolt carrier group?

joey

clmarshall21
07-26-12, 15:14
I would be I interested to hear the reasons that this guy gave you. It is not uncommon to mismatch the BCG and upper and you shouldn't see any issues if you choose to do it (as long as you are pairing quality components). With that being said, my experience is very thin compared to many of the guys on this forum. Be sure to search around and see what others have to say.

Quentin
07-26-12, 15:37
If you look around you'll see quite a few BCM BCGs in PSA uppers. Never heard of a problem yet.

But why not just get a complete BCM upper and be sure!

TehLlama
07-27-12, 16:50
Start reading if you plan on spending much money, and each hour saved can be frequently worth a hundred dollars of parts you either don't need, poor quality parts that wind up being money sinks, or stuff that makes no sense.

If you're limited for time to read, a PSA lower, DD LPK, and BCM or DD Complete Upper will work brilliantly.

420ollie
07-28-12, 00:10
You can mix and match bolts and barrels. There are sales on uppers and lpks you just have to watch out. You can also build a upper.

Stopsign32v
07-28-12, 01:19
a PSA lower, DD LPK

Why not go with the PSA LPK as well? I'm sure it is much cheaper than the DD stuff and it's good quality. I just got done putting together my PSA lower with PSA LPK and I'm very impressed with the quality! Cheap too. Those are things that normally don't go together.