PDA

View Full Version : 1 o'clock sight questions.

srkelly
07-25-12, 16:32
I bought the primary arms 3x scope not too long ago. Its sort of like an acog style id say. Love the scope, it does its job great and you cant beat the price. Now i am starting to miss my irons. I would like to have the best of both worlds and offset a sight to the right of the scope.

This right here is the setup im thinking about doing.

this mount.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-0607

this sight.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SCP-292

here is a pic of my ar. i am thinking about mounting it infront of the scope instead of behind which is what i usually see. My mbuis are mounted behind the scope and i dont want to loose those.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/srkelly/image15.jpg

I should have enough room on my rail on the upper.

thoughts?

thanks!

Socom Elite
07-25-12, 22:00
I have a Burris fastfire II on a weaver 1 o'clock mount under my Nikon prostaff. I like the setup a lot. Transitioning from the scope to the MRD is fast and only takes a little can't of the weapon.

That being said. Ive never been a fan of cheapo optics and mounts. I've never tried either of those but sight mark just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As does the no name mount.

Not that my Burris Fastfire is top of the line, because it's not. Its probably considered the lowest acceptible Mini red dot. And im fine with that. But it's been around for a while now and proven.

At the end of the day what Are you doing with it? Putting small holes in paper I assume. You lr not kicking down doors are you?

187penguin
07-26-12, 00:28
If you are looking for just a backup sight, I had a little hands on time with a LC-7-40-M16. I think that would be pretty sweet for a 1 o'clock sight on a budget. From time to time that can be found for cheaper than your listed sight on ebay and I'd be willing to bet it's a bit better quality. Could even mount it to a MOE rail perhaps and have reasonable accuracy for typical 1 o'clock sight ranges..... Maybe.....

JSantoro
07-26-12, 09:47
You'll not see a lot of responces advocating the cheaper options available on the market for anything other than plinking/paper shooting only, and the like. It's recognized that the whole world isn't made up of Mr. Moneybags-es (or whatever the plural of that is...), but it's also valid that going cheap on something you might envision staking your life on is false economy; penny-wise/pound-foolish.

A few examples of existing threads regarding offset irons. Grey Search button, keywords "offset iron," limited to thread titles only and to the Optics & Mounts subforum: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=4594207

srkelly
07-26-12, 14:28
i saw on CTD that the sightmark had good reviews. I agree 100% with you get what you pay for, but all i need is for a sight to just hold zero. I am choosing that particular mount over the nicer daniel defense because it doesn't use the slots on the upper rail. I dont think there will be enough room for the daniel defense mount to find a slot that it will need without interfering with my mbus and scope.

I would mount one of these on my handgaurd but that thing moves around so much idk if i want to do that or not. Im afraid to mount any kind of sight on there. I bought the handgaurd because its super light weight and i liked that, but i dont think it would be a good foundation for a sight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/492064/advantage-tactical-guardian-ar-15-45-degree-offset-triangular-sight-set-picatinny-rail-mount-steel-with-interchangeable-front-and-rear-colored-inserts

I think ill like the red dot more since it has much easier target acquisition than looking down that fixed sight rail. Ill be using this gun to play around with but also as home defense of course. I also had the idea of mounting a front mbus sight on a 45 offset on the front of my uppers rail and then offsetting my rear mbus but I dont know if that will work or not being that they are only spaced about 7.5 inches or so apart.

187penguin
07-26-12, 15:00
If you are looking for a cheap sight to just hold zero, I wasn't able to beak my little UTG SCP-DS3028W on my 22lr and I beat it pretty thoroughly before I got rid of it. I actually have been somewhat surprised with the newest generation of UTG stuff. The old stuff is JUNK!!!! I have a 25-ft-lb springer with a Vortek spring kit that has destroyed every "ShockProof" scope I have put on it including some Leupolds. I put a new UTG 3-12 SWAT scope on it and it's held zero for a few thousand shots now and still shoots a perfect box at 50 yards, but man is it HEAVY! Plus they have a lifetime warranty...I'm not sure if SightMark does. I would trust in on a "play around with" gun if you are against going with a higher end, more expensive option.

FWIW, one other iron sight idea I had though about trying just for fun is bolting a set of ATI Part #A.5.10.2505 at the one o'clock position on some cheapie hand guards. Non adjustable, so you might need to shim them to get it reasonably zeroed and sight height correct, but would probably suffice for center mass to 20m. No moving parts so less stuff to knock outta whack, no batteries, radiused bottom to fit hand guards a little better, 6061 T6 aluminum and only about $15 on ebay

srkelly
07-26-12, 22:13
The sightmark does have a life time warranty. On all the sights ive looked at they have good ratings. I think ill go that route and if i dont like it ill throw it on my mossy 500 tactical for giggles. Has anyone used the mount im interested in? Im currious about the placement of the optic with that mount. I like the GG&G mount but it looks like it doesnt offset enough

187penguin
07-28-12, 16:04
Cool well post how it works out!