PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever humanely put their pet down; personally?

sadmin
07-25-12, 18:13
I'm not some psycho but I have this cat who has been my buddy for 17 years and its about time she checked out. She's indoor only, declawed, and too feeble to take to the vet. The ride to the vet and that process would be so stressful, Id rather not subject her to it.
So it got me thinking if I had the stones enough to do it myself with a Buckmark and a Colibri powder less round. It would be a little traumatic on me but I don't think she would feel it. Any guys had to do this? In the mean time I'll see if any local vets make house calls for youthanization.

warpigM-4
07-25-12, 18:25
I have put a few animals down Because of them being a danger to myself and family and Father in laws Livestock .

I know he had a old dog that he put down with a 22 handgun the dog was in so much pain (kicked by a horse)that just trying to move him to the vet just couldn't happen being the Vet is some 40 to 50 miles away .
he has had to do the same with a few cows that coyotes got a hold of.

I would not think you are crazy for doing this or thinking of it .It sounds like you deeply love this animal and want to end its suffering .it is a hard thing to do but it is better than seeing the poor animal suffer I am very sorry you are going through this

SeriousStudent
07-25-12, 19:04
If you have a regular vet, go ahead and contact them. They may be willing to have a tech visit your home, or equip you with an injection to perform what needs to be done without pain.

I wish you the best, it's a terribly sad thing to do. But often it's the best mercy one can give to a beloved friend. :(

NWPilgrim
07-25-12, 19:37
I almost did that myself. 18 yr old cat had become feeble over several months. When she lost her appetite and was suffering I just about did shoot her. Vet was going to charge something like $150. Decided to wait over the weekend and then see the vet. Cat died on Sunday and I buried her in a garden area.

If you know its the end near go ahead and do it yourself. Going to the vet is just a lot more trauma for the cat and no less for you.

ryr8828
07-25-12, 19:37
I have headshot 2 and it still haunts me. They were better off but it still wasn't easy.

Hersh
07-25-12, 20:25
Man that's a tough choice that only you can make. I've had to let three cats go in the last few years and although I always stay with them until their heart stops, I don't know if I have enough sand to do it myself.

It's obvious how much you care for your critter and I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

SteyrAUG
07-25-12, 20:25
I'm not some psycho but I have this cat who has been my buddy for 17 years and its about time AE checked out. She's indoor only, declawed, and too feeble to take to the vet. The ride to the vet and that process would be so stressful, Id rather not subject her to it.
So it got me thinking if I had the stones enough to do it myself with a Buckmark and a Colibri powder less round. It would be a little traumatic on me but I don't think she would feel it. Any guys had to do this? In the mean time I'll see if any local vets make house calls for youthanization.

It's certainly not the last memory I'd like to have of my buddy.

I've always been fortunate enough that my local vet would come to my home so things could be done in familiar surroundings.

I'm not sure I understand how a car trip can be more stressful than a possibly botched colibri euthanization. I'm almost positive it will take much more than that and you will only cause quite a bit of pain and suffering for both of you. Please don't take that any other way except for the caution as nothing more was intended.

I could only "do it myself" if it were some extreme situation. And if something went wrong, you'd feel lower than low and would probably never forget it. You really don't want to be in that position.

If your cat has been your "buddy" then you owe your buddy the most comfortable exit possible. I'd focus on a way to make the trip to the vet more comfortable, assuming you cannot arrange a house call.

glocktogo
07-25-12, 21:42
If you have a regular vet, go ahead and contact them. They will be willing to have a tech visit your home, or equip you with an injection to perform what needs to be done without pain.

I wish you the best, it's a terribly sad thing to do. But often it's the best mercy one can give to a beloved friend. :(

This. It's absolutely the most humane method and a LOT less haunting for you. I've put a lot of animals down over the years with a pistol, but none that I loved. Even though those animals probably didn't feel the death throes, it's not a pleasant sight. With the shots, they just go to sleep peacefully and THEN, the shot that stops the heart.

I wouldn't have it any other way. My buddies are worth it.

Don Robison
07-25-12, 21:50
If you have a regular vet, go ahead and contact them. They may be willing to have a tech visit your home, or equip you with an injection to perform what needs to be done without pain.

This^^^but it's doubtful they will give you the injection since in some states it's a controlled item and the vet is required to check for a heart beat at specific interval timing.
Or ask them for a sedative to give the cat to calm her down before you take her to them.
We just put our 17 year old dog down in May. She had the heart, but not the body or mind to continue; it took three times the normal dosage for her body weight with two dosages injected directly into her heart.

sadmin
07-25-12, 21:52
Thanks for the advice / kind words / input all. I don't think I could do it after reading this and letting it sink in, and yes if it went sideways I would feel horrible. She does deserve a peaceful exit and I suppose I could offer to pay extra for a home visit if I find a vet. She was given to me by my high school girlfriend; the only other girl I've ever loved besides my wife, so she is worth whatever it takes to make it painless. Haley

Belmont31R
07-25-12, 21:53
Put a lot of animals down. If you live in a more rural area 'farm' vets will be a lot more willing to do home visits if you can't do it yourself. All the ones I put down were small animals. When I was growing up we had a couple vets come out to put horses down.

threeheadeddog
07-25-12, 22:00
I dont mean to appear to be the cold-hearted one here but I just dont get it.

Maby it is from growing up on an ranch around livestock(where at one point we went through a string of dogs that just wouldnt leave the livestock alone and had to be put down), but I dont see the issue people have with putting down an animal. Would it be emotional, yes. Haunting, are you kidding me? You simply do what you feel is best, and at the end of the day it really doesnt matter one bit if the animal got it at a vet or out in the field.

I also think that this only APPEARS to be cold-hearted to some people. I dont feel that I am at all cold-hearted, and actually have quite a emotional streak in me. It does not extend into prohibiting me from putting down an animal.

Battle*Hound
07-25-12, 22:09
OP...good luck man. I dread the day when I will face the same decision, I absolutely can't imagine. Damn it...brings tears to my eyes to think about it. FWIW, If the vet will not make a house call...not sure if it is true or not but I was told an equestrian dentist has the ability to perform said procedure. Again, good luck.

Belmont31R
07-25-12, 22:10

Maby it is from growing up on an ranch around livestock(where at one point we went through a string of dogs that just wouldnt leave the livestock alone and had to be put down), but I dont see the issue people have with putting down an animal. Would it be emotional, yes. Haunting, are you kidding me? You simply do what you feel is best, and at the end of the day it really doesnt matter one bit if the animal got it at a vet or out in the field.

I also think that this only APPEARS to be cold-hearted to some people. I dont feel that I am at all cold-hearted, and actually have quite a emotional streak in me. It does not extend into prohibiting me from putting down an animal.

Talked about this with a friend of mine here. I grew up with us putting our animals down when needed (aside from horses which its probably better a vet do it), and animals on 'land' are more utilitarian than animals in the city. Its not a macho thing but just that living outside of the city its a lot more humane to put an animal down on the spot than stick it in a car, drive to the vets, and then wait for them to get the stuff ready to do it. We had a cat that rode the garage down, and got scrunched between the frame of the opening and the garage door. Broke its back and the animal was put down within a couple minutes after a few sad goodbyes. If we'd taken it to the vet she'd have had an hour of more in severe pain.

J_Dub_503
07-25-12, 22:24
I'm sure you've heard the saying that cats have 9 lives. Well, my cat must have been on his fifth when he needed to be put down. He took 5 rounds of well placed buckshot to be dispatched... It's not always as easy as you'd think.

Battle*Hound
07-25-12, 22:27

I don't thinks it's cold hearted. First...growing up on a ranch definately plays a part in how you view animals. I don't think it means you don't like/love yours but you obviously see them in a different way than others do...and that's perfectly ok. For instance...I love my dog probably more than any living thing...but again I think it has a lot to do with my previous years and how I grew up. I also couldn't care if a great deal of pos humans wandering around this earth rotted in the ditch. I don't think I'm cold hearted...again it's just how I feel based on prior experience.:D

Battle*Hound
07-25-12, 22:30
I'm sure you've heard the saying that cats have 9 lives. Well, my cat must have been on his fifth when he needed to be put down. He took 5 rounds of well placed buckshot to be dispatched... It's not always as easy as you'd think.

:eek:Jesus man...that's awful...but so often reality is just that, awful.

jaxman7
07-25-12, 22:42
Sadmin,

Not saying anything new but like Steyr said I think you owe it to her and to your conscious, if anything goes wrong, to give her the most humane ending as possible.
My friends always make fun of me b/c I am supposed to be the manly dude who is obsessed with guns and everything yet I've got this little kitten named Abbey (named after John Adams' wife) who I spoil freaking rotten. It's amazing how animals become a part of our lives. Good luck Sadmin,

-Jax

SteyrAUG
07-25-12, 22:46

I can explain it.

Sometimes it's just a dog, cat or whatever but sometimes it's a "buddy." There is a huge difference. And how a person treats a "buddy" who they are responsible for (especially at the end) says a lot about that person.

I somewhat suspect your "rural experience" is the polar opposite end of the spectrum that some K9 officers and military dog handlers have with respect to the animals they work with.

And just so I don't get misunderstood, I'm simply explaining the difference, I'm not trying to criticize you.

SteyrAUG
07-25-12, 22:49
Talked about this with a friend of mine here. I grew up with us putting our animals down when needed (aside from horses which its probably better a vet do it), and animals on 'land' are more utilitarian than animals in the city. Its not a macho thing but just that living outside of the city its a lot more humane to put an animal down on the spot than stick it in a car, drive to the vets, and then wait for them to get the stuff ready to do it. We had a cat that rode the garage down, and got scrunched between the frame of the opening and the garage door. Broke its back and the animal was put down within a couple minutes after a few sad goodbyes. If we'd taken it to the vet she'd have had an hour of more in severe pain.

In your example what you did out of need for expediency was the "most humane" way to take care of your "buddy."

Don Robison
07-25-12, 22:53
I can explain it.

Sometimes it's just a dog, cat or whatever but sometimes it's a "buddy." There is a huge difference. And how a person treats a "buddy" who they are responsible for (especially at the end) says a lot about that person.

I somewhat suspect your "rural experience" is the polar opposite end of the spectrum that some K9 officers and military dog handlers have with respect to the animals they work with.

And just so I don't get misunderstood, I'm simply explaining the difference, I'm not trying to criticize you.

My thoughts as well.
I grew up working on pig and chicken farms and putting one down was no big deal, but the difference was none of them slept at the foot of my bed, played with my kids, road in the passenger seat of my truck or went for runs with me.

Mauser KAR98K
07-26-12, 12:11
I had to, two days ago. Our Sheba has been our companion, our extra set of eyes and ears, our foot warmer, and our joy and happiness. She was an Austrian Pincher. Short, curly tail, and had a bit of an attitude.

She had a tumor in her spleen that e didn't know about that ruptured Tuesday morning. She began breathing very heavily and couldn't walk or move. Taking her to the vet hospital, the doctor gave us the bad news (we thought she had a stroke), and gave us options that would have been long and pain full. he also was hearing her lungs getting worse as the cancer cells were aggressively spreading to her lungs.

It was hard to let her go, but the decision felt so easy to make. She lived a little over 12 years, and for a dog her size, 45 pounds, that a long time. Also consider she was very high strung at times. We will miss her at the foot of the bed, and keeping my black lab in line. :(

But as for our friends and neighbors that come over, the little brown Nazi terror is gone.;)

What we did to get her to the vet was I drove and my mom stayed in the back petting her. Touch and reassurance helps calm them.

Don't do it yourself; the pain will be lasting.

07-26-12, 12:49
Put a cat I had down myself. Sucked but was way I wanted to do it. Didn't want her last hrs. to be at a vet where she is uneasy. Took her out into a field(that was part of her range), gave her a treat, and as she was happily eating, put a .22 round in her head. She died happy. Cancer.

Had a guy that I worked at same company with show up one morning with his GF's rabbit. Intestines coming out of ass. In obvious pain. They couldn't afford the vet bill. I would have paid for it, but the rabbit didn't need to be moved anymore than necessary--too painful. Took it around a building into a field, gently laid it down, and crushed its head with a cinderblock. Total suck. HATED to do it. Only way it didn't **** me up was to realize it was the right thing to do. Still bothers me, but I'd do it again. Suffering animals really get to me.

MAUSER202
07-26-12, 20:09
If you do this by your own hand in such a violent manner you wont be able to forget it. I had to finish a deer off with a knife once, not a pleasant memory. I would see if the vet would make a house call.

We have had to put4 dogs down in 24 years. Two were hunting dogs, that were done in the vets office one 12 y/o the other 17. It was kind of cold and clinical, out of the dogs and our environment.

Our last Shepard was a tear jerker, at the ER. He was more than a dog or pet. This one hurt bad because it was so sudden.

The very first one was 11 y/o and was our 1st dog married together. We both had such an incredible connection to her. She was my hunting dog, and my wife's protector/companion. We were lucky when we put her down, she had cancer and we had two weeks to plan it. All our friends loved this dog like she was theirs, so for two weeks we had visitors bringing her teats and stuff. Our vet at the time was a close friend and we got to do at her house in the country and the dog had one last walk in the woods that she had played/hunted in. We sat and held her as she chewed a pheasant wing while our friend gave her the injection... If we all could go so peacefully.

Dienekes
07-26-12, 20:33
I've put down a number of dogs and cats, and as a family we were present to put down a horse. I plumb hate to shoot a dog, although the ones I have done in weren't even mine--they were hit by cars and I got to be the one to end their suffering.

I am not particularly a cat lover but they seem to like me (?). The last one was my daughter's cat who was with us for most of her childhood right up to college. Even though it was dumb as a rock, I hated to shoot it. It had come to the end of the line and it was obviously suffering.

The horse was the worst, even though as a family we all agreed that it was time and the right thing to do. We had a vet do the deed with meds and it dropped like a rock, DRT.

A fellow agent once came onto an accident with a deer that was badly injured but still alive. For some reason he didn't have a weapon with him so he beat the deer to death with a tire iron. He said it was horrible...

About a year ago my daughter had a deer run into the side of her car with the same result. She had her Glock 19 along and put it down for good. It didn't faze her too much but if she had had to see it suffer I think it would have been a lot rougher.

I can see where people would have very different opinions on all this, but I think as human beings we owe these animals the "best death" we can give them, even if we have to take some pain upon ourselves.

I can readily see why some wouldn't want to do it

QuietShootr
07-26-12, 20:42
I'm not some psycho but I have this cat who has been my buddy for 17 years and its about time she checked out. She's indoor only, declawed, and too feeble to take to the vet. The ride to the vet and that process would be so stressful, Id rather not subject her to it.

Almost all vets make house calls. Don't be an ass. Call one.

sadmin
07-26-12, 21:22
Almost all vets make house calls. Don't be an ass. Call one.

Interesting seeing as how I have called 3 in the past when we lived in Houston, all replying no. Any other pearls of wisdom? :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
07-26-12, 21:48
Interesting seeing as how I have called 3 in the past when we lived in Houston, all replying no. Any other pearls of wisdom? :rolleyes:

It's a little harder in a city. Worth the time and effort to go through the entire list though. At least you then know you did your best. If that proves to not be an option, then I'd recommend just trying to make your cat as comfortable as possible for the vet trip.

Might find some useful info here:

http://blog.chron.com/animalqa/2008/11/who-does-in-home-euthanasia/

Also found this:

http://houstonmobilevet.com/about-dr-donaruma/

Kfgk14
07-27-12, 01:31
Think I can give a little insight, as in the last two weeks I've put down two animals myself. It's painful, and you won't like it. But sometimes, there isn't another option. In the case of your cat, arrange a house call-this isn't something you want to do if you don't have to.

The first was my neighbor's dog (formerly my dog, became the neighbor's dog when I had to move into the city for a few months and the apartment didn't allow dogs), so the emotional attachment was incredibly strong. The dog (Jess, black lab, we miss you Jessie girl) was a working dog and a family pet, good farm dog. She stayed out last Friday, while we were all at the night showing of Batman. We came home, and we were having a few drinks at my buddy's house when we heard howling, growling, barking, fighting going on out in the pasture. 30 seconds later, three of us were in the field. My buddy had launched a flare to scare off whatever was in the field. We went out and inspected the situation. Jess was hobbling towards us, missing her left ear and her back torn up, her tail shredded and spilling blood out her rib cage, alarmingly fast. We brought blankets and her bed and some treats she liked, but we all knew what was gonna happen. There wasn't time for the car ride to the hospital, and nothing they could do was gonna save her now. One of her eyes was punctured, and her paws, her legs were ripped up bad. I was the only one with a gun, and Jess was mine originally. My friend and his wife both broke down. We all sat down with Jess, gave her a hug as best we could without hurting her. She lay down on her blanket, and I shot her once in the back of the head. No twitches or death throes, just laid down and died. We all had a good cry, and buried her that night. I can still see her, in that last moment. I am glad she didn't suffer any more. But trust me, it was one of the most painful moments of my life.

Last night, I had to put down another animal-not a pet, but a deer that was hit up the road a half mile. On impact, the deer went through the window of the car. The family came to my house, panicked. So, we drove down, and to the family's horror, I put the deer down immediately. They screamed, started shouting about "animal cruelty" and "heartless hick" and "sneaking a gun around, killing innocent animals". I'm not gonna pretend it's a pretty way to go, but would waiting for a vet have been more humane? I'm still freaked by that deer's eyes after I shot it, but I know that deer was in a lot of pain before I took him out of the world. He'd been there for almost fifteen minutes when I arrived, broke his front legs and all cut up...

The point is, this isn't something you want to do. If your cat is hit by a car, and is suffering in the street, don't drive 50 miles with the cat suffering. But when you've got warning, make the house call and spend the money. It's the humane thing to do, and you'll save yourself a lot of pain.

a0cake
07-27-12, 01:42
Last night, I had to put down another animal-not a pet, but a deer that was hit up the road a half mile. On impact, the deer went through the window of the car. The family came to my house, panicked. So, we drove down, and to the family's horror, I put the deer down immediately. They screamed, started shouting about "animal cruelty" and "heartless hick" and "sneaking a gun around, killing innocent animals".

Did you tell them how ****ing stupid they were being?

Kfgk14
07-27-12, 02:04
Did you tell them how ****ing stupid they were being?

I cussed them out for calling me cruel after waking me up and essentially trespassing (posted private property with a gate, they're lucky I didn't shoot them on sight) in the middle of the damn night. I was a bit shaken up, as were they, but their lack of gratitude...they threatened to sue me for traumatizing their kids! I threatened to press trespassing and animal cruelty charges of course, so they shut right up. They filed their accident report, made me file one too, big pain in the ass...but hey, I got the deer meat out of it, filled my chest freezer :D

SteyrAUG
07-27-12, 02:18
I cussed them out for calling me cruel after waking me up and essentially trespassing (posted private property with a gate, they're lucky I didn't shoot them on sight) in the middle of the damn night. I was a bit shaken up, as were they, but their lack of gratitude...they threatened to sue me for traumatizing their kids! I threatened to press trespassing and animal cruelty charges of course, so they shut right up. They filed their accident report, made me file one too, big pain in the ass...but hey, I got the deer meat out of it, filled my chest freezer :D

You were nicer about it than I would have been.

Watrdawg
07-27-12, 07:26
Keep calling Vets. You will find one that will make a house call. This past January I had to take a 3yr old Field Champion lab to my Vet and have him put to sleep. Trouble, that was his name, was a great dog and had been through a lot in his short time here but he made a huge impact on me and my family. He had a large cancerous tumor attached to his hip right at the joint. Had no clue unitl 2 weeks before I had to put him down. In the end he was dragging his back end.

There is no way I could think about doing it myself. To have those few moments remian with me like that. Sorry couldn't do it. My vet came to my house and put Trouble down while he was in his bed by my bed.

Keep calling Vets. You will thank yourself in the end.

QuietShootr
07-27-12, 07:59

Sorry, man. I've just seen how these threads usually go other places. Some shithead will suggest sticking the animal in a box with some bleach and Comet, another will suggest gassing them with exhaust, and still another will come up with something brilliant like antifreeze or an overdose of benadryl. It's a sore spot with me.

sadmin
07-27-12, 08:08
Ahh... I see, my bad. No white trash-bologna frying-cat killer here, but I know what you speak of... I meant it genuinely. Your right though, I did find an adjacent town vet that is going to come out. Turns out the issue is that my pet hasnt seen anyone here since we moved, so it was more of a problem that she wasnt a "patient" rather than the home service.
thanks all.

Raven Armament
07-27-12, 10:47

Maybe it is from growing up on an ranch around livestock, but I dont see the issue people have with putting down an animal.
I'm pretty much the same way. I've never had a problem killing animals. I've put down about a dozen of my uncle's hunting dogs because he couldn't do it. I've put down a few dogs of my own without a second thought or any emotional show. I'm the one in the family that has to kill the pigs and cows and chickens on the farm because no one else can handle it. Maybe I just can't emotionally connect with an animal. Not sure.

Zhurdan
07-27-12, 11:15
I've shot deer/elk, walked up to them and slit their throat to finish them off... never batted an eyelash.

I had to shoot my horse when I was about 15 years old because it had broken both front legs while running down a hill when we pulled up to feed them. Cried like a baby and will NEVER get that image out of my head. Ever.

What's the difference? I didn't love the deer, I didn't have a personal attachment to the deer. The deer didn't love me. The deer didn't count on me to be there for it.

It is still to this day, one of the toughest things I've ever done and a haunting memory to have to put that horse down. It was quick and his pain and suffering were over in the matter of a blink of an eye... a tear soaked eye.

I rue the day that my two dogs come to the end of the line. If they are in severe pain, I will take them to the vet, or get one to come over. I understand that it's traumatic for them to go to the vets office as nothing they like is there and may give them a small dose of benedril or something to calm them down. Not enough to kill them of course, but enough to make them comfortable until we get to the vet.

We have no children other than our dogs. They are an integral part of my wife and I's family. I will treat them with the utmost respect and reverence.

warpigM-4
07-27-12, 11:16
I am glad you got it worked out I have done it it doesn't bother me Like some .what really gets me is the amount that Vets charges you in a Moment that it is a part of your family is suffering .I had a guy I work with years ago pay like 250 in Bills to have a large dog put down they charged for disposal even after he took the dog to lay him to rest under his favorite tree:mad:

Littlelebowski
07-27-12, 11:23

Well said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LHS
07-27-12, 14:39
My old dog hated the vet. She'd literally piss all over the waiting room floor from fear (the vet was a really great guy, too, so I don't know what scared her so badly). I didn't want to have that environment for her when it was her time to go. I wanted to take her out to the old farm where she loved to play, give her a treat, and put her down quick and painlessly, so her last moments would be pleasant instead of fearful. Unfortunately, I was away at college when that time came, and my folks took her to the vet to be put down.

I hate people who are cruel to animals. I hunt, I eat what I kill, and I have no compunctions about doing so. But I once took a shot that I shouldn't have taken, and ended up chasing a deer up a hill that was dragging its intestines behind it. That stuck with me for a good while. I have no compunctions about hunting, but I do believe that the hunter owes the animal a clean, quick death if at all possible. I've passed up shots since then that I probably could have made, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I think a lot of the advice here is pretty good. If you can, bring the vet to you, and do it quickly and painlessly. If you can't, if the pain is just too severe to tolerate even for an hour, then give your friend peace as quickly and painlessly as you can.

Brahmzy
07-27-12, 18:47
In this case, you have the luxury of time. Sometimes you don't. You want the last memory of your pooch or kitty to be a pleasant one, and from my experience, the injections are the way to go. Sadly Ive had to put down quite a few old best friends. The way they do it these days is pretty peaceful. Bring a blanket so she/he doesn't have to lie down on a cold stainless table. Or have someone come to the house. Blowing half of their brain bucket off usually leaves undesirable memories.

Have a plan though, cause holy crap they start stinkin' quick! LOL

Had the 'joy' of watching my my wife get her kitty of 12 years put down very recently - not a good time for anybody. I had her dug n buried within 45 minutes, but it smelled like 2 days. Have a plan.

usmcvet
07-27-12, 19:07
You made the right decision. It will be peaceful. I brought my 17 year old cat Devon to the vet to have him put down. It sucked but much less traumatic for all involved. you should get to hold her if you want too.

My old dog hated the vet. She'd literally piss all over the waiting room floor from fear (the vet was a really great guy, too, so I don't know what scared her so badly). I didn't want to have that environment for her when it was her time to go. I wanted to take her out to the old farm where she loved to play, give her a treat, and put her down quick and painlessly, so her last moments would be pleasant instead of fearful. Unfortunately, I was away at college when that time came, and my folks took her to the vet to be put down.

I hate people who are cruel to animals. I hunt, I eat what I kill, and I have no compunctions about doing so. But I once took a shot that I shouldn't have taken, and ended up chasing a deer up a hill that was dragging its intestines behind it. That stuck with me for a good while. I have no compunctions about hunting, but I do believe that the hunter owes the animal a clean, quick death if at all possible. I've passed up shots since then that I probably could have made, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I think a lot of the advice here is pretty good. If you can, bring the vet to you, and do it quickly and painlessly. If you can't, if the pain is just too severe to tolerate even for an hour, then give your friend peace as quickly and painlessly as you can.

My Springer loved the vet until she was fixed. After that the smell and sight of the place puts her into fits too.

Brahmzy
07-27-12, 22:10
You made the right decision. It will be peaceful. I brought my 17 year old cat Devon to the vet to have him put down. It sucked but much less traumatic for all involved. you should get to hold her if you want too.

My Springer loved the vet until she was fixed. After that the smell and sight of the place puts her into fits too.

That's just crazy - guy I work with said his dog has situational epilepsy. Only when he's going to the vet. Dog has seizures only when he knows he's going to the vet. Starts in the parking lot I guess.