PDA

View Full Version : Critique this idea before I spend the $$$$

paradoc
01-24-08, 20:45
Ok, I have a Bushmaster Patrolman 16 inch A3 that is about to receive a facelift, now here is what I have planned- if there are no faults noted in the plan.

Barrel- replace with CMMG 14.7 w/A2 FH, it's 1/7 twist, MP tested, chrome lined.
BCG- LMT enhanced BC and bolt
Lower parts kit- replace internals with LMT or Colt
CAR stock- aluminum 4 pos from Essential Arms (just like the old school stock).
BUIS- ARMS 40L
EOTECH 551 HWS

The purpose of the carbine is HD and general plinking, but I do plan to use it for carbine classes as well.

Shihan
01-24-08, 20:50
It might be better to just buy another upper or complete carbine and keep that as a spare. With the replacements you want to do a new upper is not much more.

paradoc
01-24-08, 20:56
plan B is a complete CMMG carbine.......tax money is burning a hole in my pocket ;)

IrishDevil
01-24-08, 20:58
For the cost of all that put together, I'd just buy another rifle which is what you're essentially doing minus upper/lower receiver. The "enhanced" LMT bcg is from what I've seen unnecessary, a.k.a. not an improvement. I don't really do folding BUIS, but I'd go Troy personally. CMT is good for a parts kit.

ST911
01-24-08, 21:03
Ok, I have a Bushmaster Patrolman 16 inch A3 that is about to receive a facelift, now here is what I have planned- if there are no faults noted in the plan.

Barrel- replace with CMMG 14.7 w/A2 FH, it's 1/7 twist, MP tested, chrome lined.
BCG- LMT enhanced BC and bolt
Lower parts kit- replace internals with LMT or Colt
CAR stock- aluminum 4 pos from Essential Arms (just like the old school stock).
BUIS- ARMS 40L
EOTECH 551 HWS

The purpose of the carbine is HD and general plinking, but I do plan to use it for carbine classes as well.

I agree with Shihan. Trade for, or buy, a complete LMT, 6920, or N4.

Part by part on your list:

If your barrel and chamber hasn't been a problem, there's no reason to change unless you want a 1/7 twist.

The bolt is of greater concern than the carrier. Select a MP tested unit. The "enhanced" variants aren't worth it, IMHO.

An LPK swap isn't altogether bad. Priority items would by the FCG and bolt stop.

If changing stocks, I'd install a CTR, unless you want the retro look (and functionality).

For a BUIS, I'll pass on the ARMS. Troy, MI, or Larue.

For an optic, Aimpoint, unless the Eotech is your preference.

jmart
01-24-08, 21:11
If the barrel is good (doesn't pop primers) and you don't intend to shoot 77 grain stuff, I'd just keep it.

Buy a good bolt and keep the stock bolt as a backup.

If carrier staking needs improved, send it to Grant or Rob and either will stake it with a MOACKS. But I wouldn't replace the carrier unless there's something fundamentally wrong with it (and I doubt there is).

Your LPK is probably fine. I'd replace it only if you wanted to swap out for a two-stage. If you're worried, pick up a spare disconnector and spare springs, but I'm betting the trigger and hammer are GTG.

The stock is up to you.

The BUIS and Eotech are both decent choices. You might want to consider Troy or MI folders instead of the ARMS.

Bottomline: don't assume everything needs upgraded (except for maybe the bolt). Run it hard for a couple of range sessions, and if there are warts, they will show up. But you could end up spending several hundred dollars in unnecessary upgrades, dollars that could be better spent on quality mags, ammo, or training.

ETA: Kinda redundant based on Skintops post. He must have hit Send when I hit Post Reply. Oh well........

paradoc
01-25-08, 15:01
I am planning to get a new rifle this year as well.

The reasons for upgrading the BM is that I want to shoot heavier bullets predominantly, and also want the 1/7 with the 14.5 or 14.7 in bbl without going SBR. Bolt upgrades are preventative in nature as I plan to take the carbine to several courses this year and really beat the hell out of it.

Eotech HWS is what I have developed a liking for after using them as issued items, I also love the Aimpoint as well. BUIS is open- Larue, ARMS, LMT and several others are possibilities.

This BM has never had any issues in 2 years and I shoot a lot of rounds through it each session.

markm
01-25-08, 15:05
Say what you want about bushmaster, but there's something not right about replacing a bushmaster barrel with a cmmg. :confused:

I know you want to shoot heavies, but I'd get an LMT or Sabre.