PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on ambi safety Defense Package

420ollie
07-25-12, 19:38
I wanted to get an ambi safety and came across this.

http://www.defensepackage.com/?data=prodDisp&sku=1002000

It is a Defense Package ambidexterous safety. It looks good to go. I just wanted to see what you guys think of it.

swedeboy
07-25-12, 22:18
I'm curious too. I have 2 sets of the BAD-A$$ but they're $20 more and I'm looking at getting 3 more sets. These are an interesting alternative so I'd like to hear from someone who may have both to see how they compare.

420ollie
07-26-12, 23:31
Is there anybody that has experience withthese?

VIP3R 237
07-26-12, 23:34
Hmm thats looks very similar to the bad-ass, but maybe not as refined and using an allen head screw vs a torx. price is right though.

PD2BP253
09-13-12, 19:37
I have both Battle Arms and Defense Package, I think they're both GTG... I would say they're pretty equal, for $20 you get a 3 levers instead of DP's 2.

DeltaSierra
09-13-12, 20:01
If you need an ambi-safety selector, the Battle Arms Development selectors are the way to go.

The dovetail on the BAD makes more sense from a design perspective, and is the only ambi-selector that I could recommend.

SomeOtherGuy
09-13-12, 21:13
If you need an ambi-safety selector, the Battle Arms Development selectors are the way to go.

The dovetail on the BAD makes more sense from a design perspective, and is the only ambi-selector that I could recommend.

Unless I'm mistaken, the dovetail fit is only on the BAD-CASS, which costs $10 more and has limited availability of the lever options.

Also, Troy's ambi safety also uses a dovetail fit, but with a spring detent instead of a screw to hold the arms secure.

I have a BAD-ASS waiting to install, and it's clearly a high quality piece, but $60+ for a selector is getting kinda pricey. FWIW, I also have in use a Kies ambi selector that was $32 and works quite well. No dovetail or six different lever options, but it does have two lever sizes, reversible for whichever thumb you want to have the long one, and is half the price.

09-14-12, 12:45
I have the Troy lever on my rifle and it works great. I didn't think it would be secure with just the spring detent but it is. This does look interesting though.

Duffy
09-14-12, 13:45
We (Battle Arms Dev.) offer a life time, unconditional warranty on the selectors.

The free lever exchange program is also life time, unconditional (condition, age, appearance, etc. are all immaterial)

The differences of various selectors are more than skin deep.

We have reworked the detent holes size, detent groove shoulder depth and angle, the "ramp" angle, and the length of the selector center, now there's nothing like it in the market. The lever's 90 degree shelf, diagonal serrations, center groove, the absence of a pointer (the pointer is replaced by a simple groove), various dimensions to accommodate different preferences, are all refinements unheard of and unseen previously.

There are reasons our selectors are smooth, have positive detent engagement, and minimal lateral movement. Many attribute this to the KNS detent we include. The KNS detent will help many selectors, but NOT if the detent groove and holes are less than ideal. The real magic takes place in the detent groove and detent holes. We have spent untold amount of time and money on perfecting it.

We're also the first manufacturer to include a detent in the selector kit back in 2010. In 2012, the included items list has been expanded to: 2 extra screws and a detent spring. I'm sure that'll be copied soon enough lol.

Add these refinements to our penchant for overdoing things, the result speaks for itself. We don't design or produce competition grade gear, all of our products are designed for folks going in harm's way. Whereas aluminum may have sufficed, we use heat treated steel. When off the shelf screws are readily available and cheap, we had half a million custom, Grade 8 screws made to our specification. When factory specs are good enough, we went beyond and found the sweet spots that nobody bothered to research.

As a company policy, above and beyond is the baseline, and we always go beyond the baseline, that's an unwritten policy. You can see evidence of which in the product, in our conduct, and in the way we interface with our customers :)

Stickman
09-14-12, 14:28
This thread reminds me I need to pick up a few more safeties from Battle Arms Development. :D

Duffy
09-14-12, 15:53
Which reminds me, I was supposed to send you a BAD-CASS-SA :p If you like, please get them from John and let me know, and I'll replace as many as you've acquired from his inventory :D

Stickman
09-14-12, 16:19
Thank you.

09-14-12, 18:21
Thanks Duffy, good info, I may need to pick up one or two for the build I'm working on right now! Do you guys do a military discount?

samuse
09-14-12, 18:38
This thread reminds me I need to pick up a few more safeties from Battle Arms Development. :D

Ha! Hell, I don't even like ambi safeties but now I want one too!

TOM1911
09-14-12, 19:02
The B.A.D. A.S.S./ B.A.D. C.A.S.S. both in short throw, would be my only choice as far as ambi selectors go.. They are worth every penny, even on a tight budget... Some things you just don't scrimp on..;)

Iraqgunz
09-14-12, 19:06
Battle Arms Selectors are hands down the best on the market. Their customer service is top notch and I won't recommend anything but them.

Disclaimer; This was a paid advertisement. Get over it.

420ollie
09-14-12, 19:22
I got the BAD ASS selector and it is nice. I seen and heard all the hype about the short throw version. I don't want to get another safety after I just shelled out the dough to get this one. I guess it will have to wait till way later.

archad
09-14-12, 22:16
Here is my opinion. Not the best video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIT_9T0A74

420ollie
09-14-12, 22:23
Here is my opinion. Not the best video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIT_9T0A74

The link is not working. Just takes you somewhere to no video.

archad
09-14-12, 22:33
sorry made it public

09-16-12, 09:17
Has anyone tried their (Battle Arms Dev.) short throw selectors? If so how are they? BTW just ordered one for the rifle I'm working on for a friend.

ROG Tactical
09-16-12, 10:37
As a company policy, above and beyond is the baseline, and we always go beyond the baseline, that's an unwritten policy. You can see evidence of which in the product, in our conduct, and in the way we interface with our customers :)

This is very true of Battle Arms Development! Very few companies provide great products with great customer service...BAD is one of the very few that do!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Littlelebowski
09-16-12, 10:50
Has anyone tried their (Battle Arms Dev.) short throw selectors? If so how are they? BTW just ordered one for the rifle I'm working on for a friend.

Yup. Phenomenal. Unbeatable customer service and comms. Unpaid advertisement.

I-M4-REAL
09-16-12, 11:04
I've too been looking towards a new ambi-selctor and have decided to go with the B.A.D-A.S.S...Seems they have really done their home work plus some on design and function options.Plus the lever exchange ect.,how can ya beat that!?!

jw0312
09-16-12, 11:07
Disclaimer; This was a paid advertisement. Get over it.
Much easier to get over when the advertisement is true and would be the same endorsement even if it was unpaid - as in this case. BAD is a great company to deal with.

09-16-12, 11:44
Yup. Phenomenal. Unbeatable customer service and comms. Unpaid advertisement.

SWEET Good news!!! Will be ordering 2, 1 for my present .300 blk build and 1 for my current "toy"...!!

4DAIVI PAI2K5
09-16-12, 13:02
Happy with the 3 DP selectors I have.

operatordown
07-03-15, 08:45
We (Battle Arms Dev.) offer a life time, unconditional warranty on the selectors.

The free lever exchange program is also life time, unconditional (condition, age, appearance, etc. are all immaterial)

The differences of various selectors are more than skin deep.

We have reworked the detent holes size, detent groove shoulder depth and angle, the "ramp" angle, and the length of the selector center, now there's nothing like it in the market. The lever's 90 degree shelf, diagonal serrations, center groove, the absence of a pointer (the pointer is replaced by a simple groove), various dimensions to accommodate different preferences, are all refinements unheard of and unseen previously.

There are reasons our selectors are smooth, have positive detent engagement, and minimal lateral movement. Many attribute this to the KNS detent we include. The KNS detent will help many selectors, but NOT if the detent groove and holes are less than ideal. The real magic takes place in the detent groove and detent holes. We have spent untold amount of time and money on perfecting it.

We're also the first manufacturer to include a detent in the selector kit back in 2010. In 2012, the included items list has been expanded to: 2 extra screws and a detent spring. I'm sure that'll be copied soon enough lol.

Add these refinements to our penchant for overdoing things, the result speaks for itself. We don't design or produce competition grade gear, all of our products are designed for folks going in harm's way. Whereas aluminum may have sufficed, we use heat treated steel. When off the shelf screws are readily available and cheap, we had half a million custom, Grade 8 screws made to our specification. When factory specs are good enough, we went beyond and found the sweet spots that nobody bothered to research.

Duffy, how can I go about the lever exchange? I have a BAD ASS with two long, or standard black levers. I would like one standard and one short in fde. Can you help?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Duffy
07-03-15, 09:22
Holy thread resurrection, I thought this thread was locked away and never to be found again back in 2012 lol.

Operatordown, I had left Battle Arms last August to start another company. The lever exchange program is still alive, but the terms had changed couple of years ago.

Please email sales@battlearmsdevelopment.com and they'll give you all the details :)

djegators
07-03-15, 09:22
I offer a few different ambi safeties, but when customers ask for my recommendation, its the BAD-ASS....

LOL...I didn't notice how old this thread was until after I posted, haha!

Duffy
07-03-15, 09:40
There have been new AR safeties since this thread back in 2012, some from folks that used to use Battle Arms safeties as OEM. Competition is healthy, as it benefits the end users by offering more choices. If competing manufacturers want to do well, they need to do better, and be better. Battle Arms has the benefit of having an established product and reputation, but remember that wasn't always the case, especially back in 2010 when the selector first became available, comments like snake oil, solution in search of a problem, were not uncommon from folks that had neither seen nor used it.

Fortunately, the mods and members on M4C had shown us a great deal of trust and latitude. Even though I'm not a part of Battle Arms anymore, I will always be grateful for the opportunity you guys had given us to earn your trust, and deliver on our promises.

Battle Arms selectors now have pretty good competition, many of which have the short throw option. If you can find the thread here and TOS about short throw selector discussions, you'll see the road to where we are wasn't always smooth, and it was paved by Battle Arms and its partners that invested in short throw compatible receivers. The short throw selector's acceptance in the market is largely the work of BAD, its partners, and the happy customers / early adopters.

I am proud to have been a part of that.

HD1911
07-03-15, 09:41
I'm a huge fan of the KAC Ambi Safety... haven't tried the Battle Arms Safeties yet.

Duffy
07-03-15, 10:15
KAC deserves credit for giving thoughts to the right lever's ergonomics by scalloping / relieving the right lever's tip so it won't rub on the index finger as bad, but if you're a southpaw and try to use the right lever, it's now that much harder to use.

Thus detachable levers on both sides give the users the option to put the correct lever on the side of their choosing. As a manufacturer, we didn't want to dictate that, which to me would be akin to making cars with non-adjustable car seats based on the designer's height and size, and everyone has to conform.

Over the years the anti-screw sentiment finally subsided, there had been different ways to attach a selector lever sans the use of screws. It usually doubles or triples the parts count on the selector in so doing. Not a believer in that.

HD1911
07-03-15, 10:17
Good Info, Duffy. Thanks

Duffy
07-03-15, 10:35
I liked it so much I made my own right lever based on the KAC pattern :) But I'm a righty so this works for me. I hacked up this $30 ambi safety back in mid 2000s, when there was but two or three choices, mostly just from different manufacturer with different screw holes on the right lever (one type has the hole in dead center, the other type has an offset screw hole)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/oldsafety_zpsooscpv5c.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/oldsafety_zpsooscpv5c.jpg.html)