PDA

View Full Version : Best M&P Model - 9 or 40?

RockBottom
07-25-12, 21:30
Hi, I was wondering, given the various quality issues, both good and bad, with the M&P, which is the best model to get between the M&P9 and M&P40?

I'm definitely not asking which caliber is better (I may be new to this board, but I'm not an idiot! :) ), I'm just asking which is the better model quality-wise.

I want to get an M&P, and was initially looking at the M&P9, but given the accuracy issues, etc., I'm thinking of going with the M&P40 instead. I've shot both and like both. From what I've read the 40 sounds more accurate, and the 9 obviously is cheaper to feed, but between the two I'm leaning towards the 40 and will get a 9c or 9Shield sometime down the road.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

(Edited to add that if anyone thinks the M&P45 is the best M&P, I'd still like to know your opinion on which is better between the 40 and the 9.)

dirvo85
07-26-12, 00:52
What do you plan on using it for? Is it going to be a home defense gun, range toy, competition..... If it's for all of the above I would go with the 9 and make sure it's accurate. If it's not than you could always get a barrel from GandRTactical.com. My $.02

I own a 9c and have full size mags I run with X-Grips for the range and as a reload when carrying.

DocGKR
07-26-12, 03:11
I've been around quite a few M&P's. The M&P45's tend to have the least problems and are typically the most accurate, followed by the M&P40's. The M&P9's have generally had the most issues, all though when you get a good one, they are a joy to shoot. FWIW, the M&P9c has tended to exhibit less issues than the full size model.

mdrums
07-26-12, 08:03
Both are the same gun...just different barrel. Either you like 9mm or .40.

I just sold my Glock g27 .40 because I like my wifes M&P 9c 9mm better.

HKBanger
07-26-12, 08:09
I'd go M&P40 just because of the recent issues with accuracy, etc regarding the M&P9. The M&P40 is known to be one of the better .40's out there.

Microalign
07-26-12, 08:14
Neither.......the .45acp of course. ;)

USA
07-26-12, 09:19
Welcome to the board.

This question has been asked frequently.

That being said, both models are equally good. Sure, some M&P9's exhibit accuracy issues, but fixes will be available in a month or two from G&R Tactical and further down the road from Apex Tactical. Hopefully, S&W will address the issue down the road too.

I would not let the cost of an aftermarket barrel dissuade you from an M&P9. The price difference between a case of 9mm and a case of .40 S&W will easily pay for an aftermarket barrel in 1-3 cases and will be a miniscule cost over the life of the gun, IMO.

I can afford to shoot a 9mm a lot more than a .40 S&W or .45 ACP, and practicing with your weapon of choice is important.

Accuracy issues aside, my M&P9 has been undeniably reliable for the 1.5 years that I've had it, and I've probably shot at least 6000 rds through it. I suspect the M&P40 should perform equally well.

The only issue I have had is the slide lock lever broke, but the gun still functioned. Luckily I had a spare on hand as I pretty much went through the trouble shooting table in the amorer's manual and purchased any part the manual suggested to change in case of a problem. Parts can be ordered easily, from among other places, G&R Tactical and Speed Shooter Specialties. Hopefully S&W will replace my broken slide lock, but in the meantime, I'm good to go.

The only other issue that I'm working through is the auto slide forward, but right now I'm focusing on fixing it from the software side instead of the hardware side.

I will buy an aftermarket barrel when they come out, either from G&R or Apex, but truth is the gun has done everything I've asked of it (i.e., has not let me down in training classes or competition and I was able to win a high shooter award with it in a training class), is easy to work on, has plenty of aftermarket accessories, parts are plentiful, mags are cheap and S&W has one of the better, if not best, warranties.

I want the barrel so I can get a silencer. In addition, even though I still think software is the limiting factor, I want to get the barrel to eliminate any perceived hardware issues. FWIW, I don't even know if I have an inaccurate M&P9. Like I said before, I believe software is still the limiting factor for me, but both software and hardware performed good enough for a high shooter award (we were shooting Q targets at various ranges and positions and not bullseye 8" circles at 25 yrds so YMMV).

TLDR: Bottomline, either choice is fine IMO, if you are interested in the M&P line. I don't reload and I try to shoot every week, either practice, training or competition, so irrespective of which round is better, I simply cannot afford to shoot as much as I would like if I had a .40. You could buy a M&P40 and buy a 9mm conversion barrel, but I did not choose that route.

RockBottom
07-27-12, 02:12
Thanks all for your replies - good info! - they are much appreciated.

I plan to use this as a home defense and range gun. I'd love to do competition at some point, but I have two teen boys and a pre-teen daughter, so I'm swamped with their stuff, so just getting to the range once a month and getting a few rounds of golf in a year is almost impossible as it is! :)

I'm in the Chicago burbs (Naperville), so I'm not sure if there are many competitions relatively close by. I'm hoping we get concealed carry in the next couple of years, but right now it's not worth buying a compact or smaller gun for me.

Thanks again, and thanks for welcoming me to the board.

turbo38gn
07-27-12, 07:00
Welcome RB, I have pretty much all models M&P in 9,40 and 45, love em all. Knowing what I know from experience, I would purchase the 40FS. That was my 1st M&P and I loved it out of the box. I then purchased a 9mm conversion barrel from Storm\Lake, loved it too. The gun was dead on out of the box, in fact, I think my signature is a picture of my 1st time shooting my M&P40.... also was like the 3rd time ever shooting a pistol. :) My avatar is my 1st time ever shooting an AR, my friend from Colt took me out and introduced me to the sport with one of his many Colt AR's..

Good luck and safe shooting,.

RockBottom
07-27-12, 08:46
Welcome RB, I have pretty much all models M&P in 9,40 and 45, love em all. Knowing what I know from experience, I would purchase the 40FS. That was my 1st M&P and I loved it out of the box. I then purchased a 9mm conversion barrel from Storm\Lake, loved it too. The gun was dead on out of the box, in fact, I think my signature is a picture of my 1st time shooting my M&P40.... also was like the 3rd time ever shooting a pistol. :) My avatar is my 1st time ever shooting an AR, my friend from Colt took me out and introduced me to the sport with one of his many Colt AR's..

Good luck and safe shooting,.

Wow - that's some great shooting for the third time out ever!!! I wasn't even close to that the first time I rented an M&P40 (which was probably about the 3-4th time out for me).

bmac2323
07-30-12, 01:37
I would go with the M&P 40. I might be biased, have had one for 5 years. No issues at all. Accuracy is great. Only my SIG 220 is more accurate. Either way, its your call

Pappabear
07-30-12, 01:54
For Hm defense and competition. I would get the PRO
MY 9 mm Pro is perfect. Then get a shield.

40 or 9, it's your pick

Mauser KAR98K
07-30-12, 13:59
I was toying with the same issue: .40 or 9mm.

Just put a down payment on a M&P9FS. 9mm is cheaper in the long run, though i have a .40M&P shield.

In IL, know what is cheap to shoot.

BTW: More gun range, less driving range. :cool:

RockBottom
07-30-12, 19:18
I was toying with the same issue: .40 or 9mm.

Just put a down payment on a M&P9FS. 9mm is cheaper in the long run, though i have a .40M&P shield.

In IL, know what is cheap to shoot.

BTW: More gun range, less driving range. :cool:

Interesting! See, I was thinking strongly about going the opposite way - M&P40 FS and M&P Shield9.

Mauser KAR98K
07-31-12, 08:49
Interesting! See, I was thinking strongly about going the opposite way - M&P FS and M&P Shield9.

I go the Shield in .40 due to I couldn't get one in 9mm in my local area for a long time. Really, it was on impulse that I am kinda regretting. I am hoping I can put a 9mm shield barrel just for practice sake. Hoping.:o

Now if they start selling extra mags for them.

shootist1970
08-12-12, 10:12
The M&P .45, bigger holes for bigger wounds!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!!

packinaglock
08-12-12, 16:00
The M&P .45, bigger holes for bigger wounds!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!!

O.K.............

IZinterrogator
08-12-12, 23:13
Interesting! See, I was thinking strongly about going the opposite way - M&P40 FS and M&P Shield9.

That's the way I went. Easier to control the .40 in the full size and one more round per magazine for concealed carry with the Shield in 9mm.