PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins (again). Obama: "AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers"

30 cal slut
07-26-12, 08:21
:rolleyes:

Looks like black rifle sales are going to go through the roof, again.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/25/obama-takes-on-gun-violence-in-new-orleans-speech/?hpt=hp_c1

Obama takes on gun violence in New Orleans speech

Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough

(CNN) - Days after the Colorado movie theater massacre, President Barack Obama on Wednesday forcefully spoke out against gun violence, making perhaps some of his strongest comments yet as president on the issue.

While the president said he stands by the Second Amendment and recognizes the traditions of hunting and gun ownership in the country, he told a crowd at a gathering for the National Urban League in New Orleans that there is work left to be done in tackling the problem.

"I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals," Obama said. "That they belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities."

ralph
07-26-12, 09:19
I would'nt put alot into it at this point....The brady bunch has been giving him poor ratings for not doing "enough" and King Bloomberg has also made a recent proclaimation to the serfs...Team Obama dosen't like to admit it but they're getting outspent, the ecomony is heading into the shitter again (not that it ever really left) and he's got the possibilty of WWIII starting...I see his comment as a feeble attempt to get some votes...

Doc Safari
07-26-12, 09:25
:rolleyes:

Looks like black rifle sales are going to go through the roof, again.

Every time a liberal opens his mouth, gun sales increase.

Bill O'Reilly was trying to jump on the anti-assault weapon band wagon the other night. The next day Ted Nugent called in to Glenn Beck's radio show and just about had an embolism on the air about it.

Meanwhile, I've heard more than set of commentators on the talking head shows talk about how the will just isn't there for new gun legislation.

feedramp
07-26-12, 09:28

woodandsteel
07-26-12, 11:06
Every time a liberal opens his mouth, gun sales increase.

Bill O'Reilly was trying to jump on the anti-assault weapon band wagon the other night. The next day Ted Nugent called in to Glenn Beck's radio show and just about had an embolism on the air about it.

Meanwhile, I've heard more than set of commentators on the talking head shows talk about how the will just isn't there for new gun legislation.

Not only did Bill O'reilly jump on the AWB bandwagon, but so did William Kristol. On one of the Fox Shows, Kristol said that the Democrats would be foolish not to go after an AWB. Kristol actually would personally support an AWB. He said that Democrats should show support for the right to own and carry weapons with the exception of semi-automatic assault rifles. He believes the American People would go along with such a plan.

Funny thing about O'reilly, the next day he had Charles Krauthammer on his show. Krauthammer said that people were makig a mistake of thinking of the Aurora killings as a gun control issue. He said it is a mental health issue and that is where the politicians should be focussing their atention.

Zhurdan
07-26-12, 11:13
I foresee a "common sense" gun law that could be passed is something like a psych eval. Paid for the gun purchaser of course. Monitored and pricing set by the Gov't ... of course.

It'd be like a NFA tax stamp... adjusted for inflation, of course. They'd price people right out of being able to own a gun rather than have to ban them.

Sorry... frustrated by the stupidity of it all.

Anyone else notice how he said AK47 when it's been well publicized that he used an AR15? Is he just that far out of the loop or do they just use AK47 to demonize guns in general? (Yes, I've seen the "media's rendition of what guns are" poster hehe)

Doc Safari
07-26-12, 11:22
Anyone else notice how he said AK47 when it's been well publicized that he used an AR15? Is he just that far out of the loop or do they just use AK47 to demonize guns in general? (Yes, I've seen the "media's rendition of what guns are" poster hehe)

I think it was Ted Nugent that said the gunman's AR jammed early on, and the actual shooting was done mostly with a shotgun.

I did some digging and the AR he bought was evidently a cheapie from Cabelas or somewhere like that. Probably why it had a stoppage.

I also have seen very little mention of how the gunman probably used his federal education money to buy all his weapons. If the guy spent government funds for his education on weapons instead, I'm assuming that could be considered fraud.

So, not only is this a mental health issue more than a gun issue, it's also more of a federal fraud issue than a gun issue.

Zhurdan
07-26-12, 11:29
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a S&W M&P AR15? Not exactly top of the line, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it was the Beta mag that caused the malfunction, but really that's neither here nor there.

I'm more upset at the vitriol that has full and unfettered access to air time and people saying "most gun owners" would approve of something when they are most likely not even talking to gun owners. They're making fact from pure fiction simply due to their ability to own the airwaves.

Heavy Metal
07-26-12, 11:34
I think it was Ted Nugent that said the gunman's AR jammed early on, and the actual shooting was done mostly with a shotgun.

I did some digging and the AR he bought was evidently a cheapie from Cabelas or somewhere like that. Probably why it had a stoppage.

I also have seen very little mention of how the gunman probably used his federal education money to buy all his weapons. If the guy spent government funds for his education on weapons instead, I'm assuming that could be considered fraud.

So, not only is this a mental health issue more than a gun issue, it's also more of a federal fraud issue than a gun issue.

The AR was fine, it was the shit magazine that stopped him and I too have heard the shotgun and handgun did most of the killing.

Apparently, the shooter fumble-****ed with the rifle for a decent time, loading a 30 on top of the stoppage without clearing it. AMPLE OPPORTUNITY FOR A MODERATELY EXPERIENCED CCWer TO HAVE DUSTED HIS ASS!!

Biggy
07-26-12, 11:36
BHO failed to mention that here in the USA, (semi-auto) AR15's, etc. are "also" allowed by law and belong in the hands of a "well regulated militia". That is us. That being said, IMHO, eventually ammo and its components will probably be key for those trying to take our gun rights away.

Doc Safari
07-26-12, 11:44
BHO failed to mention that here in the USA, (semi-auto) AR15's, etc. are "also" allowed by law and belong in the hands of a "well regulated militia".

Ted Nugent pointed out that the AR is "the" most popular sporting long gun in the country right now. (I'm approximating what he said. He may have said semi-auto sporting gun).

I have also heard this from other sources. (Just the sheer number of manufacturers making the gun should tell you something).

We are a far cry from the late 1980's/early 1990's where an "assault weapon" was the "what do you want that gun for?" weapon.

I find it curious that Barry specifically mentioned AK47's. That's not even the gun the shooter used. But it's a gun that's been so demonized that the mere mention of one to the anti-gun left pushes those all-important campaign buttons.

My take: the speech was a campaign fund-raising speech. These cats know if they try to ban the actual weapon the shooter used they are going against something that is as popular to the gun community as Bud Light is to the beer drinking community.

Ain't gonna happen. ;)

woodandsteel
07-26-12, 12:01
I'm wondering if this is an attempt to control the news coverage.

President Obama talks about a ban on Ak47's. All the news outlets start talking about a ban on assault weapons. No one is talking about Syria, Egypt, Jobs, Bush Tax Cuts, Twilight or anything else.

PrivateCitizen
07-26-12, 12:03
Once again the liberals will dance in the blood of the innocents to advance a political agenda.

Caeser25
07-26-12, 12:08
BHO failed to mention that here in the USA, (semi-auto) AR15's, etc. are "also" allowed by law and belong in the hands of a "well regulated militia". That is us. That being said, IMHO, eventually ammo and components will probably be key for those trying to take our gun rights away.

If he understood the constitution, he'd understand that they do belong in or hands as necessary to the security of the free state.

Caeser25
07-26-12, 12:12
I'm more upset at the vitriol that has full and unfettered access to air time and people saying "most gun owners" would approve of something when they are most likely not even talking to gun owners. They're making fact from pure fiction simply due to their ability to own the airwaves.

Exactly. Just shoving words in our mouths, throwing it at the wall and hoping it sticks.

PrivateCitizen
07-26-12, 12:16

Alinsky … say it enough and it will be 'true.'

Biggy
07-26-12, 12:17
With BHO making a statement like that, he must be trying to get the gun salesman of the year award again this year. That must be the gift he says he has, that he talks about. Yeah, AR's have sure went much more mainstream in the last two years with the gun/ammo industry being one of the few bright spots in the economy. It almost seems that now days if you don't own an AR and a hi-cap 9mm pistol, its like, whats wrong with you, are you weird. As for me, I can proudly say I was not only country when country wasn't cool but I was also shooting AR's, etc. way before they became cool.

C4IGrant
07-26-12, 12:20
This explains why the last 3 days have been CRAZY. Phone ringing off the hook and people buying everything that isn't nailed down.

C4

samuse
07-26-12, 12:59
This explains why the last 3 days have been CRAZY. Phone ringing off the hook and people buying everything that isn't nailed down.

C4

Good!

Personally, I love it when the U.S. goes nuts and hoards guns and ammo. I think it's patriotic.

Hell I may buy a case of 9mm today just to get in on the action.:D

Biggy
07-26-12, 13:16
IMHO BHO is the candidate for sheeple and people who like free cheese.

VooDoo6Actual
07-26-12, 13:29
IMHO BHO is the candidate for sheeple and people who like free cheese.

Agreed.

"There's always free cheese in a Mouse trap."

Run the country down, fan the flames & stoke the fire regarding racial issues & tensions, amplify class warfare, create no real job opportunities, contract & constrict the nation's ability to cultivate new manufacturing growth, increase the free cheese to the slackers for their vote & support & UDA's, stagnate RE industry, create lots of distractions/diversions as EO's & subrosa laws & soon enough you will have martial law voiding the constitution by default. Game is being played on multiple levels like 3D chess. He knows exactly what he's doing & how he's playing it imo.

The_War_Wagon
07-26-12, 14:27
Did he mention how eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Mr. Holme's "AK-47" was, during his speech? :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
07-26-12, 15:42
"I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals," Obama said. "That they belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities."

Funny how he doesn't seem to have the same objection to "criminals on the streets of our cities." Seems to me if you made the same effort to remove the "criminals on the streets of our cities" we wouldn't have to worry about guns.

Moltke
07-26-12, 15:51
Seems to me if you made the same effort to remove the "criminals on the streets of our cities" we wouldn't have to worry about guns.

Awesome.

Doc Safari
07-26-12, 16:10
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-obama-not-seeking-gun-laws-173426783.html

Even as the issue of guns shifts to the forefront of the presidential campaign, the White House and the Senate's top Democrat made it clear Thursday that new gun legislation will not be on the political agenda this year.

So far so good.

In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday that the Senate would not consider the gun issue this year, even though he agreed with Obama's remarks in New Orleans.

Okay. I'm liking that even better.

Acknowledging opposition in Congress to new limits, Carney said Obama will work to enhance existing gun laws.

"While there is that stalemate in Congress there are other things we can do," he said.

Uh oh. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Obama called for stepped-up background checks for people who want to buy guns...

Uh, Hmmmm... What do you mean "stepped-up?" Like when we "step up" to be fondled by TSA?

Moltke
07-26-12, 16:18
Executive orders, increasing regulations from the ATF and re-defined ATF rulings are some "other things" that could be done. And be done without bringing the American voters into it. Any other ideas?

Doc Safari
07-26-12, 16:21
Executive orders, increasing regulations from the ATF and re-defined ATF rulings are some "other things" that could be done. And be done without bringing the American voters into it. Any other ideas?

I'll be the first to admit it may be internet scuttlebutt, but I remember reading some posts somewhere about the ATF looking into expanding the definition of what is or is not for "sporting purposes." It would only affect imports according to the law, but they could decide that "any" AK is not sporting, even if it's a thumbhole or whatever. I find it interesting that Barry specifically mentions AK's in his speech.

Of course AR's would not be affected, nor would any US-made so-called "assault weapon."

I could be wrong about this, but I believe I'm repeating it correctly.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/july-2012-importability-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

This document is recent, and very educational. Although it purports to be mainly about the shotguns ATF recently decided were no longer "sporting", note how phrasing is left vague enough to leave the door open for other firearms to suddenly be "non-sporting."

...Federal law requires ATF to make sporting determinations of firearms before they may legally be approved for importation. This is because section 922(l) of the GCA prohibits the importation of any firearms or ammunition, and therefore a firearm may be imported only if it meets one of the exceptions found in the statute, 18 U.S.C. § 925. One of these exceptions, the sporting purposes test found in section 925(d)(3), currently provides the only avenue by which firearms or ammunition may legally be imported in any quantity for possession and use by private individuals.

More?

...some argued that “three gun” competitions should be considered to fall within the scope of sporting purposes. However, as discussed in the 2011 report, the legislative history indicates that this was not meant to include police and military style shooting competitions. Three gun competitions generally require competitors to use a rifle, a pistol and a shotgun to engage targets in timed events. Competitors and organizers emphasize tactical deployment of these firearms to properly engage the targets. These competitions are clearly based upon military or police training and therefore are the type of activity that Congress sought to exclude as “sporting.”

And apparently if your "sport" represents a tiny minority of the shooting public, then it automatically is not a "sport" I guess:

For tactical shooting events to affect the type of shotgun that may be considered as “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes,” ATF would have to consider use by .18% of the sporting public as determinative of what is “generally recognized” in the community. ATF does not believe such an approach is consistent with the congressional intent in enacting this provision.

I can easily see another "study", then a "public comment" period, and finally another "amendment" to say that imported assault weapons are not sporting. That of course will include hi-cap imported pistol mags since we now know that ATF does not consider IDPA type competition a "sport".

Moose-Knuckle
07-26-12, 18:57
“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms. But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals… that they belong on the battlefields of war and not on the streets of our cities.”

The AK-47 is the weapon of choice for America’s enemies. American troops don’t commonly use them, but the Kalashnikov AK-47, originally designed by the Soviets but widely imitated, has been a symbol of violent revolution for decades. The Third World is lousy with them – it’s thought that over 150 million units of the weapon and its variants have been produced. It’s very popular with the Taliban.

There is a good deal of appreciation for the AK-47 among American gun owners, and there have been accounts of individual American soldiers using captured enemy weapons as far back as Vietnam. The Kalashnikov design has long been admired for its low cost, reliability, and power. Some people think the U.S. military should adopt an AK-47 variant, or at least a rifle that uses the same 7.62mm ammunition. But outside of the odd special unit, it’s not a standard issue weapon."

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/07/26/obama-and-the-ak-47/

I think POTUS is a bona fide expert on the Kalashnikov due to his exposure on that platform via all the Communist, left-wing radicals, and Islamofascists that he encountered when he was reared as boy in such altruistic utopias as Kenya and Indonesia.

halo2304
07-26-12, 19:51

This is like asking if you've ever sucked a c*ck you didn't like.

Funny how he doesn't seem to have the same objection to "criminals on the streets of our cities." Seems to me if you made the same effort to remove the "criminals on the streets of our cities" we wouldn't have to worry about guns.

^ Pure AWESOME!

Smuckatelli
07-26-12, 20:26
Good!

Personally, I love it when the U.S. goes nuts and hoards guns and ammo. I think it's patriotic.

Hell I may buy a case of 9mm today just to get in on the action.:D

I also think it is a reminder to the politicians........talk about restricting and the guns buying goes up.....

Dienekes
07-26-12, 20:48
:jester::jester:The media's ginning up of this sort of reminds me of Shaw's description of advertising: "The rattling of a stick in an empty swill bucket". At this particular time, just prior to a major election, no Democratic politician will touch the topic. Not that some of the nuttier ones wouldn't love to if they thought they could get some traction. I don't have to trust a damn one of them and have no plans to any time in the future, that's for sure.

A few years ago one of us wrote something to the effect that "I have given up this and that and the other thing until I am totally fed up. If you want them, come and try take them all at once. No more."

What are they going to do--not like us anymore?

uwe1
07-26-12, 22:26
I also think it is a reminder to the politicians........talk about restricting and the guns buying goes up.....

This might be the only economic stimulus that he is capable of...

The_War_Wagon
07-26-12, 22:47
Uh, Hmmmm... What do you mean "stepped-up?" Like when we "step up" to be fondled by TSA?

That means drone flights over CURRENT gun owner's homes. :o

Belmont31R
07-26-12, 22:59
Just another example of anti gun politicians who don't even know what the **** they are "attempting" to regulate.

Kfgk14
07-26-12, 23:09
GOD DAMN IT...
The wife better let me finish off the AR before everyone buys up the parts I need...
The best thing for Romney getting elected would be a gun control push on the left. Not that I want Romney, I just don't want BHO.

Kfgk14
07-27-12, 00:33
...So BHO is mandating that US soldiers now carry AK's in addition to AR's in combat?

The troops will love the additional 9lbs on their packs...

Ask dumb questions, and all...:D

Really though? I fancy myself a militiaman, then. That's close enough to soldier, isn't it? If it's what our dear leader wants, I may even give Arsenal some business and buy an AK for militia services, though defending the US with a Russian-made SEMI-AUTO rifle seems a bit ironic, don't you think? Especially given that if we ever get to a shooting war with the bad guys, some variation of communist/socialist will likely be at the receiving end of my weapon...

Jellybean
07-27-12, 00:35
....I'm more upset at the vitriol that has full and unfettered access to air time and people saying "most gun owners" would approve of something when they are most likely not even talking to gun owners. They're making fact from pure fiction simply due to their ability to own the airwaves.

Because to these ****tards, the vast majority of gun owners are the "go out and get mahself uh deer once uh year" folks. The key words being "gun OWNERS" not "gun USERS".
To these ****tards (and apparently the NRA as well) the 2A is ONLY about "Sportsmen"- God how I HATE that term- and because it's incessantly protrayed as such, every time some other ****tard (or certain current high level politician who just so happens to also be interested in a certain strangely shaped office) comes along and starts spewing the "common sense gun laws" bullshit about how "I'm a sportsman too, and I hunted wabbits with my daddy's single shot .22 and clearly the scary 'assault weapons' just aren't needed by the common peasants as they aren't for sportsmen, blah blah blah,", one just wants to Falcon-throat-punch the hell out of them.
The sad[er] part is they're probably right- the majority of gun owners probably would go right along with it, as long as they get to keep their damn .22 and go hunting once a year. :mad:

Anyway, sorry for going a little off topic and ranting to the choir. Just no one else to rant to right now.
Back to the topic-

The problem I have with the "mental health check" idea, is it SOUNDS like a great way to solve this whole "psychos with guns" thing.
BUT, who gets to play God, and decide whether I am mentally fit enough to own said guns? We all know how it'll turn out in the end- totally rigged.

On a side note- so much for buying any more ammo or parts this year. You bastards! :cray::p
I also think, regardless of who gets elected, next term is where things are going to get interesting. But then, I know nothing, so...

feedramp
07-27-12, 00:53

a1fabweld
07-27-12, 06:21
BHO failed to mention that here in the USA, (semi-auto) AR15's, etc. are "also" allowed by law and belong in the hands of a "well regulated militia". That is us. That being said, IMHO, eventually ammo and its components will probably be key for those trying to take our gun rights away.

I did see a that snapper head Nancy Pelosi on the tube, shortly after the chosen one was elected, say something to the effect of "It's going to be hard to go after guns, so we'll go after ammo". This wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Spiffums
07-27-12, 16:24
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/25/obama-calls-measures-against-gun-violence/
Compared to Bloomberg, Obama's speech here sounds quite reasonable.

Bloomberg says: "Herp de-derp, I'm a lunatic! Oooo lookit, shiny!"
Obama says: "“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Mr. Obama said. “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense. So I’m going to continue to work with members of both parties and with religious groups and with civic organizations to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction. Not just of gun violence, but violence at every level.”"

One of those sounds reasonable and sane, and it's actually Obama.

The funny part about his AK-47 comment, and this comment that follows, is they both made me think about Fast & Furious:
"“We’ve been able to take some actions on our own, recognizing that it’s not always easy to get things through Congress these days,” Mr. Obama said. "

MmmHmm -__-

Why? Guns aren't in the Bible and they aren't part of Parks and Recreation?

Spiffums
07-27-12, 16:26

Usually there are no terms on the monies they give to you. The ones with terms you need never they get paid to the school directly. You can use the other for rent, a car, pizza, books, hookers and blow. You just can't get more when it's gone till the next payment.

ryr8828
07-27-12, 16:43
Makes me sorry I only own one ak.

feedramp
07-27-12, 16:53

feedramp
07-29-12, 10:45

The_War_Wagon
07-29-12, 17:22
... they BOTH like Chinese! :o

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zqkBzcFa6bo/UBGvSqBvfPI/AAAAAAAACcM/6nN1thl_W5s/s1600/aks-in-the-hands-of-soldiers.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-12, 18:21

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zqkBzcFa6bo/UBGvSqBvfPI/AAAAAAAACcM/6nN1thl_W5s/s1600/aks-in-the-hands-of-soldiers.jpg

Nice! :cool:

SMETNA
07-30-12, 00:23
Barack Obama can tongue-scoop the feces out of my anus

Mauser KAR98K
07-30-12, 00:58

Even though I totally agree with this, completely, the image still sends shivers up my spine.

Tyrants go to ****ing hell.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-30-12, 01:03

To caveat off of Matt Bracken's photo, here are some more details. Graphic pictures FYI.

http://www.friendsoftibet.org/main/execution.html

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 01:23
Barack Obama can tongue-scoop the feces out of my anus

That... was awesome.

RogerinTPA
07-30-12, 07:46
I look at it this way, every time he opens his mouth against conservative issues, he does the following: offers one more reason for folks with buyers remorse, independents, or just sitting on the fence, not to vote for him, and it fires up the conservatives base. Every time he opens his mouth, it just reinforces what damn fools the liberals, some independents and some conservatives were for voting for him in the first place. Let him chop off his nose despite his face.