PDA

View Full Version : Why is a regime like North Korea allowed to participate in the Olympics?

feedramp
07-26-12, 09:37
That's the question that came to mind when I read this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9427788/North-Korea-women-footballers-protest-over-flag-gaffe.html

Why are they even there? Why should the world give recognition to such a despotic, evil regime at all by allowing them to compete?
:confused:

davidjinks
07-26-12, 09:42
"I'd like to buy the world a coke and live in peace and harmony..."

World unity bro...that's what the olympics are all about...peace and love!

That's the question that came to mind when I read this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9427788/North-Korea-women-footballers-protest-over-flag-gaffe.html

Why are they even there? Why should the world give recognition to such a despotic, evil regime at all by allowing them to compete?
:confused:

feedramp
07-26-12, 10:05

Cesiumsponge
07-26-12, 10:06
Comedic relief? I can't see how athletes can successfully train in a nation of starving people. Didn't they fly a bunch of Chinese spectators to the last Olympics to pose as North Korean fans? Because obviously no one can freely leave the country.

Moose-Knuckle
07-26-12, 17:26
Ah, the globalist's marxist utopian pipe-dream.

Bingo bango!

I can't see how athletes can successfully train in a nation of starving people.

The reason why NK, China, Iran, the former USSR, et al. participate in such events is so they can further their own propaganda. Nazi Germany did this as well mind you. Their athletes are "chosen" at a very young age, taken from their families and placed in "schools" where they do nothing but "learn" the specific discipline that they have been selected for. The same goes for chess players, ballet dancers, cellist, etc. They pour money into these programs giving the "students" the best food, housing, and creature comforts so when on the world stage they can compete with the best of them.

davidjinks
07-26-12, 17:28
I did...

They didn't listen.

Ah, the globalist's marxist utopian pipe-dream.

Well, tell the world to have a coke and a smile and STFU.

:D

Reagans Rascals
07-26-12, 18:02
I don't necessarily see it as a "Nation" competing..... I see it as athletes wanting to compete, that just so happen to be from an armpit....

I don't think an athlete should be barred from competition solely because their country is pure shit.... they are not the policy makers... they just happen to be have been unlucky enough to have been born in a place that would be better off being firebombed....

I disagree with denying the dream of an individual that worked their ass off to get there, simply because we disagree with the policies of their country....

**** it... let them compete under no flag if North Korea is such a deal breaker.... but let them compete if they've earned a shot to be there...

don't forget..... North Korea was the first nation in the world to crack the mystery of cold fusion.... :lol:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8676678.stm

TehLlama
07-27-12, 16:47
Whatever the implied political undertones, bringing attention to the plight of all those under the NK regime is still a worthy cause, even if it's done so overly delicately that it's a travesty.

feedramp
07-27-12, 16:54
This is solely used by NK as propaganda to support the regime. How you do see allowing them to compete as "bringing attention to the plight of all those under the NK regime"? :confused: