PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody point me in the direction of, or post their pasta recipes?

Magic_Salad0892
07-26-12, 09:54
I'm trying to gather some ideas, and figured I'd get some pretty cool answers here.

Pics would be cool too.

:D

davidjinks
07-26-12, 10:31
Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Large shrimp: sauté in olive oil until cooked

Marinara sauce (Family secret recipe) any good red sauce will do. Cook/heat until light boil.

Large pan: heat pan prior to adding olive oil. Add olive oil and heat. Don't over do it! Enough to get a mirage effect in the oil. Depending on how hot you want your sauce add crushed red pepper. I use a teaspoon and a quarter. Test it out for your liking.

Cook crushed red pepper. Be careful because it will burn fast. I'd say maybe 20 seconds or so.

Immediately add shrimp and (depending how much sauce you like) a ladle full of red sauce. CAREFULLY add the red sauce as you will get oil spitting at you if you do it too fast.

Serve over a bed of linguini.

All heat should be medium/hi.

Vodka blush sauce:

Heat olive in pan. Add in fresh chopped garlic. Cook until tender. Add 1-1.5 oz of vodka. I prefer grey goose as it has the best "cooked" flavor. Ensure you cook off the alcohol. If not your sauce will be ruined. If you don't have a gas stove to ignite the vodka you can use a lighter (at your own risk of course). Cook off alcohol until the flames die out.

Add Alfredo sauce half ladle full. Cook until hot. Add a ladle full of red sauce. Serve over your favorite pasta. I like tortellini personally with this sauce.

THCDDM4
07-26-12, 11:37
My wife and I built this recipe up over a few months time coming up with a pasta we both really liked, mixing our cooking/flavor styles together.

Use whatever type of pasta you like, it is good with them all; I prefer linguine, fettuccini or pene.

This is not a light pasta; it is a spicy garlic rose-pesto sauce; very rich, very spicy and complex flavors. Not for the timid or light stomach.

-LOTS of garlic- I use a lot (To taste)
-1/4 Cup Pesto (To taste)
-1/4 cup fresh tomatos (To taste) chop-it up real good and get some juices flowing
-1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream (Add to preferred consitencey- sometime sI use up to 1 cup, FYI)
-1/4 cup stewed plum tomatoes chop lightly
-LOTS of red pepper flakes (To taste)
-Splash of red and white wine (I usually use a pinot noir & Grigio, but any will suffice)
-small drop truffle oil (Black truffle oil)
-Olive oil
-Cayenne pepper to taste
-Basil & oregano to taste
-1/4 cup Parmesean cheese (Fresh shaved)
-Small amount of sundried tomatoes-mush into a paste (To taste)
-1 drop of pinot grigio vinegar (Very little)
-1 tsp (Teaspoon) congac (Optional)
-Salt & pepper to taste

-I also use some of my own personal spice mixtures and a random ingredient or two for this- but omitted them here...

Directions:

1) Simmer slowly (Medium) garlic in olive oil/truffle oil until softened or to your liking. Add a small amount of crushed red pepper (I add about a third of my total amount in this step and the rest later on) and simmer very slightly for just a moment (Not too much).

2) Add pesto and mix well simmering for a few moments.

3) Add sundired tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and stewed tomatoes; mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.

4) Add red & White wine & Pinot vinegar mix well. Add cognac if desired.

5) Add some of this mixture to your cream to temper; then add the mixture to the whole and whisk constantly for several minutes.

6) Once mixture is up to temperature (Not bubbling) add the parmeasean cheese and mix well constantly stirring the mixture never allowing a boil/bubbling to get going. Melt/mix cheese well.

7) Add crushed red pepper, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper and mix well.

8) Add pre-boiled pasta to the sauce (I keep my pasta al dente; and when added/cooked in the sauce it comes out perfect/soft); mix well, reduce heat to low and cover for about 5-10 minutes.

I will serve this on its own, with grilled chicken or spicy sausage. It goes great with shrimp as well. I make a homemade Italian bread loaf to go with this.

I usualluy serve/drink a pinot noir with this plate, but sometimes a light/creamy cabernet is better; or find a good Chianti.
Slainte.

chadbag
07-26-12, 12:33
This is pretty general. Any recipes that contain noodles? Or specifically Italian/mediterranean type recipes with "pasta"? Ie, are we talking "pasta" the noodles, or "pasta" the food category?

-

Pork Chop
07-26-12, 12:53
I'm not a gourmet chef, so I need "inspiration" (read that as: I use recipe ideas on the packages)

I found this to be delicious and it's easy, which is a plus for me.

Chicken Penne Carbonara

2 cups penne pasta
4 slices bacon
1 pound chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
1 package McCormick® Gourmet Creamy Parmesan & Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Penne Recipe & Seasoning Mix
1 cup Kitchen Basics® Chicken Stock or low sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside. Add chicken to drippings in skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add Seasoning Mix, stock, cream and cheese. Bring to boil, stirring constantly with wire whisk until well blended. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.

3. Stir in pasta and bacon; toss gently to coat. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

tb-av
07-26-12, 14:56
Jar of sun dried tomatoes from costco ( packed in oil ).

fill a large pot with water. All some olive oil. You can also add salt and any other spice you like, any dried spices, crushed red pepper, black pepper, ginger(go easy on that one), basil, tarragon, mixed spices, whatever. Cook the pasta in that . Hard to overdo the spices. A good tablespoon of several things is fine ( except maybe crushed red pepper )

Heat the tomatoes ( sliced in strips or whole ), can also saute in some strips of chicken or shrimp. The oil from the tomatoes is all you need. When it's cooked pour the excess oil in pasta water. Or alternately if pan dries up a bit add some pasta water.

sprinkle some crushed red pepper on plate. scoop some pasta up and the spices will stick to it somewhat. Put that on plate. sprinkle some blue cheese in on the pasta ( Maytag is really good ). Toss it around a bit to mix. Top with the chicken/sun dried tomato and some cracked black pepper and a little fresh basil if you have it.

You can saute onions and peppers with the chicken and tomato if you like.

SteyrAUG
07-26-12, 15:28
SteyrAUGs "Lose The Panties Shrimp Scampi"

What you will need:

1 Pound FRESH (Peeled and deveined cooked shrimp)
1 batch of Green Onion
1 Jar of Chopped Garlic in Oil
2 Sticks of REAL Butter
1 Bag of Parmesian Cheese (No Green Can)
1 Lemon or Lemon Juice
1 Bottle White Zinfandel

First, tail and rinse the shrimp in cold water.
Second, Chop green onions.
Third, in a skillet over low-medium heat (3 of 10) add both sticks of butter, chopped green onions, 1-2 tablespoons of garlic and lemon juice.
Let it simmer.

If you want sweet scampi you have it, if you prefer it a bit dry add a shot or two of white zin. When it begins to simmer, add shrimp and a thin layer of Parmesan cheese. Remember, the shrimp is ALREADY cooked, you are only heating it. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT.

As soon as the Parmesan melts, turn each individual shrimp and recover with more cheese. When the new cheese layer melts, you are done.

Serve in a pool of butter/garlic sauce. Another option is to serve over angel hair pasta. A useful trick and will make it seem like more food. Hopefully you know how to boil pasta and have it ready prior to the shrimp. Drain it and stir in a shot of olive oil to keep it from getting sticky.

Use the rest of the white zin to get her loaded while she still believes you are talented and have promise.

Magic_Salad0892
07-26-12, 21:20
This is pretty general. Any recipes that contain noodles? Or specifically Italian/mediterranean type recipes with "pasta"? Ie, are we talking "pasta" the noodles, or "pasta" the food category?

-

Specifically Italian/mediterranean type recipes with pasta. :)

Thanks for the recipes guys, they sound awesome. Keep 'em comin'.

I'm gonna try THCDDM4, or SteyrAUG's real soon...

Magic_Salad0892
07-26-12, 21:21
Use the rest of the white zin to get her loaded while she still believes you are talented and have promise.

What if she's foolish enough to think that when she's sober?

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 01:11
Hey. I wanted to add that I tried THCDDM4's recipe.

It was awesome. Thanks for posting it.

chadbag
07-30-12, 01:16
Specifically Italian/mediterranean type recipes with pasta. :)

Ok. I guess you don't want my Cheese Stroganoff recipe then :( (I made it up and it is Stroganoff like but not a real Stroganoff probably)

My kid's call it "Daddy Noodles". My wife calls it a heart attack.

I'll have to see if I can find some of my more Italian or Mediterranean type recipes. I have made a bunch up that have been good but I don't remember them off hand.

--

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 01:22
Ok. I guess you don't want my Cheese Stroganoff recipe then :( (I made it up and it is Stroganoff like but not a real Stroganoff probably)

My kid's call it "Daddy Noodles". My wife calls it a heart attack.

I'll have to see if I can find some of my more Italian or Mediterranean type recipes. I have made a bunch up that have been good but I don't remember them off hand.

--

I love cheese, and heart attacks. Bring it on.

chadbag
07-30-12, 02:23
I love cheese, and heart attacks. Bring it on.

Ok. I made this up a couple of years ago. The recipe will be a little broad sounding since I do it a little differently each time I make it. So you can follow this but can add more or less of things to suit your taste. This make a big pan full. You can use less stuff to make a smaller pan. Adjust accordingly.

But in general it goes like this:

Chad's Awesome* Cheese Stroganoff AKA "Daddy Noodles"

2-4 lbs ground beef

2 16oz bags of good pasta noodles. I use the high end Italian ones that Costco sells. Shape does not matter. Penne, or butterfly, or rigatoni, or whatever. I usually use a mix. A good quality pasta is important. No crap noodles need apply.

1 box or 2 cans of Beef Broth
a few beef bullion cubes

cheese (whatever you have). I usually use (this is an AND, i.e., all of the below):
-- a couple good handfuls grated cheese. Since we usually have the Kirkland Mexican Blend I use that
-- 7-14 slices of American Cheese or more
-- whatever else I have on hand. If I have a block of some sort, be it swiss, or gouda, or cheddar, or mozzarella, or a couple cheese sticks, I put some in.

Basically whatever cheese you have -- put as much as you'd like in.

2 x 16oz Sour Cream or 1 x 24oz Sour Cream. (Yes I know the amounts are different)

1/4-1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 teaspoon or so of ground White Pepper. You can use black pepper if that is all you have

1 tsp to 1 tblsp Paprika. I use a Hot Hungarian type but whatever Paprika you fancy is fine.

1/2 tsp Garlic powder. More or less depending on how you like garlic. But remember, Garlic is not the main flavor here.

1 tbsp or so Marjoram. You can use Oregano in a pinch.

1 tbsp Dried Parsley.

------

Brown the meat and set aside. I like to rinse it in a colander, first with hot water and then cold water to get rid of all the grease. I also use my hands to break up really big clumps. This is not a meat sauce or taco meat so no need to really mash it fine.

Get a large pot. Put the noodles in dry. Add the beef broth and bullion cubes. Add enough water to just barely cover the noodles. Bring to a boil and cook for about 50% of the time listed on the noodle package. For example, if it says that you normally cook the noodles for 11 minutes, boil them in the broth mix for about 5-6 minutes. Don't worry, they will absorb water and cook more from the rest of the ingredients. You don't want soggy noodles. Keep an eye on so that all the liquid does not get absorbed or boil away and you burn the noodles.

After the noodles are boiled for 50% of the time on the noodle package, turn down to medium or medium low and add the worcestershire sauce; stir about 10 seconds.

Then add the sour cream; stir another minute.

Add all the cheese. Stir until it is all melted or most of the way there.

And all the dry spices and stir. Keep testing the noodles until they are a good firm "al dente". The cheese should be all melted and stirred in well with the sour cream etc. It will thicken up as you cook it.

Taste test as you are stirring it until it gets "al dente" and adjust. You may want to add in more pepper, or garlic, or whatever. Maybe even more cheese.

Add in the cooked meat and stir and serve.

Serve lots of your favorite vegetables on the side. Especially good ones with lots of fiber in them to offset the noodles, cheese, and meat.

It is not romantic, or gourmet, but it is delicious and a hit with most people.

This is good the second day as well, but by then the noodles have absorbed all the excess liquid and so it will be dense and the noodles soft. But it still tastes good microwaved the second day anyway.

* I actually have a bunch of "Chad's Awesome" recipes I have made up over time, like Chad's Awesome Chili with Beans and Meat, Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice, and others. If people want to try some of these things, let me know. A few I have actually typed up on another gun forum and I can go get them... The rest I will have to remember.

---

3 AE
07-30-12, 02:39
This is classic Italian simplicity. You can use just about any pasta you have in the pantry. If you don't have any fresh garlic, you can substitute garlic powder(granulated kind) to taste. The same with red pepper flakes, you can use a little cayenne powder. It tastes great on it's own or you can add grilled meats, chicken, seafood, on the side. My Italian father in-law would sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on it because he liked the tanginess of it.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art20489.asp

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 04:03
Ok. I made this up a couple of years ago. The recipe will be a little broad sounding since I do it a little differently each time I make it. So you can follow this but can add more or less of things to suit your taste. This make a big pan full. You can use less stuff to make a smaller pan. Adjust accordingly.

But in general it goes like this:

Chad's Awesome* Cheese Stroganoff AKA "Daddy Noodles"

2-4 lbs ground beef

2 16oz bags of good pasta noodles. I use the high end Italian ones that Costco sells. Shape does not matter. Penne, or butterfly, or rigatoni, or whatever. I usually use a mix. A good quality pasta is important. No crap noodles need apply.

1 box or 2 cans of Beef Broth
a few beef bullion cubes

cheese (whatever you have). I usually use (this is an AND, i.e., all of the below):
-- a couple good handfuls grated cheese. Since we usually have the Kirkland Mexican Blend I use that
-- 7-14 slices of American Cheese or more
-- whatever else I have on hand. If I have a block of some sort, be it swiss, or gouda, or cheddar, or mozzarella, or a couple cheese sticks, I put some in.

Basically whatever cheese you have -- put as much as you'd like in.

2 x 16oz Sour Cream or 1 x 24oz Sour Cream. (Yes I know the amounts are different)

1/4-1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 teaspoon or so of ground White Pepper. You can use black pepper if that is all you have

1 tsp to 1 tblsp Paprika. I use a Hot Hungarian type but whatever Paprika you fancy is fine.

1/2 tsp Garlic powder. More or less depending on how you like garlic. But remember, Garlic is not the main flavor here.

1 tbsp or so Marjoram. You can use Oregano in a pinch.

1 tbsp Dried Parsley.

------

Brown the meat and set aside. I like to rinse it in a colander, first with hot water and then cold water to get rid of all the grease. I also use my hands to break up really big clumps. This is not a meat sauce or taco meat so no need to really mash it fine.

Get a large pot. Put the noodles in dry. Add the beef broth and bullion cubes. Add enough water to just barely cover the noodles. Bring to a boil and cook for about 50% of the time listed on the noodle package. For example, if it says that you normally cook the noodles for 11 minutes, boil them in the broth mix for about 5-6 minutes. Don't worry, they will absorb water and cook more from the rest of the ingredients. You don't want soggy noodles. Keep an eye on so that all the liquid does not get absorbed or boil away and you burn the noodles.

After the noodles are boiled for 50% of the time on the noodle package, turn down to medium or medium low and add the worcestershire sauce; stir about 10 seconds.

Then add the sour cream; stir another minute.

Add all the cheese. Stir until it is all melted or most of the way there.

And all the dry spices and stir. Keep testing the noodles until they are a good firm "al dente". The cheese should be all melted and stirred in well with the sour cream etc. It will thicken up as you cook it.

Taste test as you are stirring it until it gets "al dente" and adjust. You may want to add in more pepper, or garlic, or whatever. Maybe even more cheese.

Add in the cooked meat and stir and serve.

Serve lots of your favorite vegetables on the side. Especially good ones with lots of fiber in them to offset the noodles, cheese, and meat.

It is not romantic, or gourmet, but it is delicious and a hit with most people.

This is good the second day as well, but by then the noodles have absorbed all the excess liquid and so it will be dense and the noodles soft. But it still tastes good microwaved the second day anyway.

* I actually have a bunch of "Chad's Awesome" recipes I have made up over time, like Chad's Awesome Chili with Beans and Meat, Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice, and others. If people want to try some of these things, let me know. A few I have actually typed up on another gun forum and I can go get them... The rest I will have to remember.

---

That sounds really good, man. Thanks for posting it.

If you wanted to throw the Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice on this thread too it'd be great. It's not pasta, but whatever. Has grains in it...

Spurholder
07-30-12, 10:03
I modified this one from a Rachel Ray recipe - it's so good it'll make a vegan want to dig in...:D

Tricolore Pasta:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
1/4 pound thin-sliced pancetta, finely chopped
1/2 pound bulk hot Italian sausage (or links torn open)
1 pound ground sirloin
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef stock
2 cans crushed tomatoes (28 ounce cans)
A handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped for topping
1/4 teaspoon allspice
Pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
2 pounds rigatoni, cooked to al dente (I like rigatoni, but any pasta will do nicely)
Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, for topping

Cooking:

- Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, bay leaf and pancetta bits and brown for one minute.
- Add the meats and brown and crumble them for five minutes.
- Chop the carrot, celery and onion near the stove and add to the pot as you work.
- Cook the vegetables with the meat for five minutes and add the wine. Cook for 1 minute; add the stock and tomatoes to the pot.
- Stir in the allspice and season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Top the pasta a large portion of the sauce, followed by a little parsely and cheese (the red, white and green colors of the Italian flag).
- Enjoy!

chadbag
07-30-12, 11:09
That sounds really good, man. Thanks for posting it.

If you wanted to throw the Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice on this thread too it'd be great. It's not pasta, but whatever. Has grains in it...

OK, here it is. This is cut and paste from where I originally posted it like 4 years ago so it includes the intro and ending commentary...

Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice

---------------------------------------

I don't remember where the idea for this came from, but I have made this many times, though it has been a while.

---

a bunch (several cups) of left over rice -- asian sticky rice works best [short or medium grain rice] -- better for you if you use a mix of white and brown -- if you don't have left over rice, make your rice and the let it sit a half or full day in the fridge. If you mix brown in, soak the brown 1 hour before adding the white rice in and cooking it.

several cups of diced/cut vegetables. You can use frozen mixed vegetables, or cut up fresh veggies. Carrots, beans (in pod or out), broccoli, or anything else you might like. Bell peppers cut up also work well for this in addition to your normal vegetables. Don't overcook peppers when the time comes

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tablespoon Japanese Style Soy Sauce (Kikkoman or whatever -- if you buy it at a normal supermarket it is likely to be Japanese style unless it is from the Caribbean or Hawaii :-)

2 eggs

1 to 1 1/2 cup of drained Sauerkraut

a couple or a few (2-4) polish sausages or some kielbasa -- like the Thorn Apple Valley or other ones that look like the big hot dogs

Paprika

Mustard

-----

Cook the sausage until slightly crispy. Cut into bite sized chunks. Set aside.

Boil a small amount of water, like 1/2 cup and add the bouillon cube. Add the Soy Sauce. Stir until cube is dissolved. Set aside

Scramble eggs and cook until firm, making sure the pieces are all quite small. Set aside.

Put a small amount of oil in a large frying pan or Wok and stick vegetables in and cook only about 1 or 2 minutes. Add in several cups of rice. Add in the bouillon/soy sauce water mixture. Stir well while cooking. Add in the eggs. Stir well.

Add in the sausage. Stir well. Add in the Sauerkraut and about 1-2 TBS normal red Paprika or spicy Hungarian Paprika. Stir well.

Remove from heat.

You can add in a tablespoon or so of mustard and stir well or you can serve the mustard on the side (I mix it in).

Serve.

---------

This sounds kind of strange but is very good. Even my wife, who is from Japan, thinks it is good.

I think I might serve the mustard on the side now-a-days. Though mixing it in works well, which is how I originally did it.

--

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 13:06
OK, here it is. This is cut and paste from where I originally posted it like 4 years ago so it includes the intro and ending commentary...

Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice

I don't remember where the idea for this came from, but I have made this many times, though it has been a while.

---

a bunch (several cups) of left over rice -- asian sticky rice works best [short or medium grain rice] -- better for you if you use a mix of white and brown -- if you don't have left over rice, make your rice and the let it sit a half or full day in the fridge. If you mix brown in, soak the brown 1 hour before adding the white rice in and cooking it.

several cups of diced/cut vegetables. You can use frozen mixed vegetables, or cut up fresh veggies. Carrots, beans (in pod or out), broccoli, or anything else you might like. Bell peppers cut up also work well for this in addition to your normal vegetables. Don't overcook peppers when the time comes

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tablespoon Japanese Style Soy Sauce (Kikkoman or whatever -- if you buy it at a normal supermarket it is likely to be Japanese style unless it is from the Caribbean or Hawaii :-)

2 eggs

1 to 1 1/2 cup of drained Sauerkraut

a couple or a few (2-4) polish sausages or some kielbasa -- like the Thorn Apple Valley or other ones that look like the big hot dogs

Paprika

Mustard

-----

Cook the sausage until slightly crispy. Cut into bite sized chunks. Set aside.

Boil a small amount of water, like 1/2 cup and add the bouillon cube. Add the Soy Sauce. Stir until cube is dissolved. Set aside

Scramble eggs and cook until firm, making sure the pieces are all quite small. Set aside.

Put a small amount of oil in a large frying pan or Wok and stick vegetables in and cook only about 1 or 2 minutes. Add in several cups of rice. Add in the bouillon/soy sauce water mixture. Stir well while cooking. Add in the eggs. Stir well.

Add in the sausage. Stir well. Add in the Sauerkraut and about 1-2 TBS normal red Paprika or spicy Hungarian Paprika. Stir well.

Remove from heat.

You can add in a tablespoon or so of mustard and stir well or you can serve the mustard on the side (I mix it in).

Serve.

---------

This sounds kind of strange but is very good. Even my wife, who is from Japan, thinks it is good.

I think I might serve the mustard on the side now-a-days. Though mixing it in works well, which is how I originally did it.

--

... What's weird is how amazing that recipe sounds considering I hate every ingredient in it when they're by themselves.

I'm tryin' it, on payday. :D

Thanks for posting that, Chad.