PDA

View Full Version : XDs, HK P2000sk or glock 27 which is best and why?

Deltaspeed93
07-26-12, 16:50
I almost picked up an XDs today on impulse....I have been saving for a .40 HK P2000 sk. I also havehad my eye on the G27.
I want this gun to be one I can take out and just have fun with not just a man stopper, Thats why I wanted the HK originally. I know it's heavier and fatter than the glock. but I also don't like the idea of the single stack XDs 6 rounds of .45

Price aside, What would you guys pick and why?...I know 2 are .40 and 1 is .45 so it's not a really fair to compare them but they are roughly the same size.

wahoo95
07-26-12, 17:07
Not a decision we can make for you. I'd pick the one that "I" shoot best and carry best. Pretty sure those factors will be different for different people so expect lots of subjective answers

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

.45's and .38's
07-26-12, 17:19
The XDS is great but I would like more mag capacity, so I chose the glock 27. I would definately give the glock a good feel over & make sure it points right for you. a lot of people find the grip angle to naturally point the gun upwards when aiming it. I find the glock 17 points high when I aim but the smaller sub compacts point a bit more natural to me, like a XD. Glock 27 has a nice capacity, 40 ammo is priced well & is a great round.....number one reason I would take the glock over the other 2, is.....Lone wolf.....conversion barrel to 9mm. I have owned many glocks & many conversion barrels & I think they are a fantastic mix. takes about 30 seconds to swap barrels. just need a 9mm magazine & your good to go :) 40 for carry & cheap 9mm to plink with :) ;)

I would pick the gun that fits my hand best, something that I can easily hit all the controls on the weapon without changing my grip angle. If a range has the guns for rent, that would be even better :)

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-26-12, 19:10
P2000SK. It will be the most problem free in my opinion.

C4IGrant
07-26-12, 19:20
Unless you are getting .40 ammo for FREE, I have no idea why you would choose this caliber over 9mm.

Of those choices, I would go with the HK.

C4

zacii
07-26-12, 19:29
I've never shot an HK, but I do like the lower bore axis of the Glock over the XD, personally.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

.45fmjoe
07-26-12, 22:17

I agree, my service weapon is a P2000 and it's been a phenomenal pistol. I've NEVER had a malfunction in the year and ~4,000 rounds I have through it. I have complete confidence it will serve me well until it's eventually replaced.

Hogsgunwild
07-26-12, 22:22
I easily prefer the H&K but is there a reason the M&P compact is not included here? I think it is a more updated design than all of the others that you are looking at. The trigger and ergonomics alone make it worth considering for me.

10-76
07-26-12, 22:40
The HK or a G36.

kmrtnsn
07-26-12, 23:06
I carry a P2000SK in .40 S&W, daily. I'd take it hands down over the other two choices mentioned.

t1tan
07-26-12, 23:16
P2000SK or Glock 26

The HK or a G36.

Going up to a 36 just makes me think, why not go for a 19 being nearly the same dimensions.

warpedcamshaft
07-26-12, 23:24
Larry Vickers said the following:

Not really a fan of the Glock in calibers other than 9mm ( exception of course is the excellent G20 in 10mm which is the best backpacking pistol made)

In 40 or 45 I would go elsewhere

A hint; think HK

Be safe

LAV

Just figured it was worth mentioning.

KCBRUIN
07-27-12, 00:11
P2000sk, because you'll always wonder and fantasize about the HK if you don't get it. If the P2000 is not for you, it's trade in value should cover the Glock easily. I'd skip the XD altogether, as I just don't like the way they feel in my hand.

HKBanger
07-27-12, 09:00
P2000SK is an awesome weapon. I wouldn't hesitate. If you settle for anything less than an HK then you'll end up regretting it later!

Cosmo M3
07-27-12, 10:45
why .40?

warpigM-4
07-27-12, 11:18
I had a Glock 30 sold it Bought a XD had it maybe 3 months Sold it Got a HK USP 45 compact and have been a Happy camper ever since

brickboy240
07-27-12, 12:25
You will find next to no XD love around here at all.

I once asked if (with all the Glock ejection problems) if the XDm was a viable alternative and the responses told me to avoid the Croatian pistol.

This is a Glock/M&P/HK/1911 forum and that is pretty much it.

-brickboy240

C4IGrant
07-27-12, 12:36
You will find next to no XD love around here at all.

I once asked if (with all the Glock ejection problems) if the XDm was a viable alternative and the responses told me to avoid the Croatian pistol.

This is a Glock/M&P/HK/1911 forum and that is pretty much it.

-brickboy240

So you got a good answer then. Even though SOME Glock's have erratic ejection, most of us that know anything about pistols would still choose that over the XD(m).

I think it is great that this is a Glock/HK/M&P/1911 forum That means the members are clued in on what the best defensive brands are.

C4

Bulldog7972
07-27-12, 15:56
Of the guns you mentioned, I would go with the G27. I had a 2000sk but sold it after realizing it was simply an very expensive G27. It didn't do anything that my G27 couldn't do. Another suggestion however is to take a look at a Sig 239 in 40S&W. An awesome gun, better IMHO that either the G27 or 2000sk.

Pistol Shooter
07-27-12, 16:21
I highly recommend the HK P2000 SK. Accurate, uber reliable easy to shoot well and carry.

I've got one in 9mm with approximately 3,000 rds of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero malfunctions to date.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot for extended range sessions and is a real tack driver, which amazes me for a pistol with a 3.26" barrel.

It is easy to take down for cleaning and has a lifetime warranty.
(HK customer service, if needed is excellent these days btw.)

Here's a picture of mine to inspire you. ;)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN1280.jpg

BTW, I've been buying and shooting quality pistols since the early 1970's -- this one is worth every penny.

10-76
07-27-12, 16:32
P2000SK or Glock 26

Going up to a 36 just makes me think, why not go for a 19 being nearly the same dimensions.

I hear ya. The G19 belongs to the Det. Bureau. The G36 is mine, as is my next prefernce in the 638 Airweight.

I believe the best compact .40 I've run has been the M&P 40c-had 2 of em and they run like champs. (That's not an OP choice though.)

LOVE the G19s and after talking with local reps at a conference, that G4 G might be next....They were talkin like 379 agency pricing!

Oh yeah. the G36 shoots almost as soft as the 19s. No shite.

Wolvee
07-27-12, 18:53
Both are great tools. The SK is more accurate for me the 26 or in your case the 27 is easier to work on.

The SK is an amazing pistol to shoot but SUCKs if you have a particular kind of sights you like. I prefer Hienies and Trijicon HD's. Neither are available for the SK. Although many of your standard 3 dot Meps & Trij's are.

kmrtnsn
07-27-12, 22:32
Of the guns you mentioned, I would go with the G27. I had a 2000sk but sold it after realizing it was simply an very expensive G27. It didn't do anything that my G27 couldn't do. Another suggestion however is to take a look at a Sig 239 in 40S&W. An awesome gun, better IMHO that either the G27 or 2000sk.

Actually, it does. The HK is fully ambidextrous, something the Glock isn't, nor can it be, a bonus for left handed shooters and those that do a lot of left/support hand shooting. In addition, the HK was designed as a .40 first, not a 9mm scaled up, like the Glock was. I run 155gr Remington R40SW1 through mine.

As far as the poster wondering, "why .40?". some people operate in a world of barriers and the .40's edge over 9mm in this regard is appreciated by them.

RogerinTPA
07-28-12, 00:46
Go with the HK. That is all.

Magic_Salad0892
07-28-12, 00:57
None of the above.

Walther PPS .40. If I'm going subcompact...

HK is too big to be a subcompact pistol. Glocks in .40 generally aren't stellar, however the Gen4 guns could have fixed this. Springfield sucks. I would choose the M&P, but I like Walther better.

... Just a thought.

KCBRUIN
07-28-12, 07:59
None of the above.

Walther PPS .40. If I'm going subcompact...

HK is too big to be a subcompact pistol. Glocks in .40 generally aren't stellar, however the Gen4 guns could have fixed this. Springfield sucks. I would choose the M&P, but I like Walther better.

... Just a thought.
That's a pretty big statement. The XD line may suck, but their 1911's sure as hell don't.

Arik
07-28-12, 08:51
I'd go with the HK personally. For me, the sub compact Glocks don't fit my hand and I'm not talking about grip angles or anything. They are just to short for my hands and I can't get a good grip on them. I could never warm up to the XD and did not like the new single stack 45. Their grip is narrow and long which in itself wasn't horrible but when you add that stupid grip safety to it I would grip it and the safety wouldnt always engage all the way. So for me, between your choices it would be the HK

Magic_Salad0892
07-28-12, 09:43
That's a pretty big statement. The XD line may suck, but their 1911's sure as hell don't.

Thank you for adding that. I should have amended that.

Their 1911s are great as far as 1911s go.

And a part of me really doesn't believe that those guns are produced in the same factory.

The quality isn't even remotely the same.

Arik
07-28-12, 09:47
Thank you for adding that. I should have amended that.

Their 1911s are great as far as 1911s go.

And a part of me really doesn't believe that those guns are produced in the same factory.

The quality isn't even remotely the same.

Are you talking about SA1911 and the XD? The XD is imported, not made by SA. Imported from Croatia. It's a Croatian gun.

Psalms144.1
07-28-12, 09:55
After Glock sent me four, count 'em, FOUR bad G19s as "replacements" for my LE duty carry pistol in the course of one year, I figured out that I suck, and they hate me. (Actually, I realized that they just don't give a darn about anything except volume of sales - not whether or not a working LEO gets killed because they're cranking out pistols that have serious design flaws). Therefore, I won't give them any more of my money, or recommend them to anyone else. I've personally switched to HKs for my 9mm needs - a P30 and a P2000, specifically.

Besides that personal issue, it's pretty well known that Glocks in .40 S&W are simply not the best choice in that caliber. I had a good friend who went through the tortures of the damned trying to get his 3rd Gen G23 to work with an attached pistol light. Nothing worked. He "traded up" to a Gen4, because they were allegedly designed from the ground up around .40 S&W with attached light; and, not surprisingly, it won't run with an attached light either.

Doc Roberts recommends the M&P line in .40, and when he talks, I STFU and listen. Likewise, when Larry Vickers recommends HK, I take his input seriously.

If you're convinced you want a smaller .40, I'd look at the M&Pc first, then the P2000sk. I'd run, not walk, away from the XD, or anyone who recommends them as serious use pistols.

Regards,

Kevin

Magic_Salad0892
07-28-12, 10:17
Are you talking about SA1911 and the XD? The XD is imported, not made by SA. Imported from Croatia. It's a Croatian gun.

I thought they bought the design, and started producing them in house.

If what you're saying is true, then I'm way happier now.

G34
07-28-12, 18:54
As far as I know none (XD_) are produced domestically. A lot of SA's weapons are either imports or start their lives as imports. Not sure where their mediocre M14 clones come from.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend anything Springfield except for a 1911.

gunnut284
07-29-12, 00:47

They don't make a good number of their 1911s either, those are imported from Brazil (Imbel). Even the ones they make use some imported parts. Not saying they suck, just saying they don't make them here.

OP: either the HK or Glock would be fine choices. I would personally go with 9mm, especially in the smaller guns. That said, I have a Glock 27 (and a 26) and a HK P2000 .40 (full size not SK) and both work well and I would be comfortable carrying either.

Magic_Salad0892
07-29-12, 01:01
I got off the point there with the Springfield thing.

But like I said. Walther.

Just out of curiosity...

How did you narrow it down to those three options?

RioGrandeGreen
07-29-12, 01:42
Dude, get the HK SK! It's an awesome compact gun. Get a Crossbreed Supertuck and call it a day. Shoot it a couple of hundred rounds and you will be a believer.

It is super accurate! I have seen guys and girls shoot it more accurate than a P2000 .40 LEM. I personally have not seen one jam FWIW.

Magic_Salad0892
07-29-12, 02:21
The P2000 SK is big for a subcompact.

kmrtnsn
07-29-12, 02:26
The P2000 SK is big for a subcompact.

The P2000SK was designed as a .40 first, it is not an up-sized 9mm with their associated deficiencies. The P2000SK will handle full power duty loads all day without fatiguing the shooter, like the G27 will. I've lost track of my round count but it has been in regular duty service since 2006 without a hickup.

Magic_Salad0892
07-29-12, 02:31
The P2000SK was designed as a .40 first, it is not an up-sized 9mm with their associated deficiencies. The P2000SK will handle full power duty loads all day without fatiguing the shooter, like the G27 will. I've lost track of my round count but it has been in regular duty service since 2006 without a hickup.

I am aware of that. And I do believe that it justifies the size of the pistol. In fact you compare it to the G27, which is a pistol I'd never carry.

All I meant is that it's the biggest pistol in the group. However, it should also be the most accurate, durable, ergonomic, and reliable.

I think the thing that kind of screws this whole thing up, is that we don't know the OP's current ''main'' pistol.

But the OP, isn't mentioning other good subcompacts which he should be considering like the Walther PPS, and the S&W Shield in .40.

Also not sure why the OP is considering .40, and .45ACP pistols, and not 9x19mm.

Sorry if my post in incoherent, I'm trying to multi-task.

kmrtnsn
07-29-12, 02:36
I am aware of that. And I do believe that it justifies the size of the pistol. In fact you compare it to the G27, which is a pistol I'd never carry.

All I meant is that it's the biggest pistol in the group. However, it should also be the most accurate, durable, ergonomic, and reliable.

I think the thing that kind of screws this whole thing up, is that we don't know the OP's current ''main'' pistol.

But the OP, isn't mentioning other good subcompacts which he should be considering like the Walther PPS, and the S&W Shield in .40.

Also not sure why the OP is considering .40, and .45ACP pistols, and not 9x19mm.

Sorry if my post in incoherent, I'm trying to multi-task.

I like to think of the P2000SK as, "detective-sized"!

Magic_Salad0892
07-29-12, 05:13
I like to think of the P2000SK as, "detective-sized"!

Even with it's high bore axis it's surprisingly easy to shoot. I liked it a lot. If my main pistol was an HK variant, I'd own an SK gun as a backup if I needed one.

H&K
07-29-12, 09:13
P2000 sk & g26

These are not my guns.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/boesep01/p20002.jpg

GJM
07-29-12, 09:28
Unless you are getting .40 ammo for FREE, I have no idea why you would choose this caliber over 9mm.
C4

In my experience, the .40 is much more economical to shoot than a 9mm. With a 9, my typical practice session is 300-400 rounds. With .40, especially in a small pistol, I lose interest after about 50 rounds. :)

ALCOAR
07-29-12, 10:06
The .40 SK is one awesome little shooter...or in my case the .357sig SK. If I didn't have tons and tons of free duty/training .357sig ammo, I'd buy the .40 barrel in a minute and switch it up.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is X-grips and USPc 12 rd mags...that's nice for both training, and many real world threat scenarios. My primary is a USP40c....makes things even more convenient as well.

The controls on the SKs make them really shine imo as well, then again I'm a satan hander.

My SK has never had a single stoppage after several thousand rounds, and it's very accurate too.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC01062-1-1.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
07-29-12, 10:21
The .40 SK is one awesome little shooter...or in my case the .357sig SK. If I didn't have tons and tons of free duty/training .357sig ammo, I'd buy the .40 barrel in a minute and switch it up.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is X-grips and USPc 12 rd mags...that's nice for both training, and many real world threat scenarios. My primary is a USP40c....makes things even more convenient as well.

The controls on the SKs make them really shine imo as well, then again I'm a satan hander.

My SK has never had a single stoppage after several thousand rounds, and it's very accurate too.

Y'know... with that grip enhancement... that would be a pretty sweet carry pistol in 9x19mm...

In that pic it almost looks like the size of a G19.

(Are you LEO?...)

Guinnessman
07-29-12, 11:07
The P2000sk is a dream to shoot. It is the lightest recoiling . 40 IMHO. However, I just sold mine because of the caliber (I am sold all my .40's), and the size. The P2000sk is just too close in size to a Glock 19/23 to suit my needs. But, if the size of the HK works for you, that would be my pick. Good luck.

kmrtnsn
07-29-12, 13:26

I should have mentioned that I generally carry mine using the flat floorplate on the SK mag and run USPc mags for reloads. I have yet to try the X-grip.

l8apex
07-29-12, 20:07
HK SK .40 Cal, G26 9mm

CLJ94104
07-31-12, 23:46
My XDs .45 has been flawless. Had Trijicon HD night sights installed. Not one problem in 500 rounds. You may say I need to put more rounds through it and I know this forum hates the XD line anyway, but it has met my expectations for my CCW weapon nearly perfectly. The only thing I will say is a con is that it only has a 5+1 capacity, other than that it is perfect for CCW imo.

Buy whatever one you shoot best with and meets your individual concealment specs.