PDA

View Full Version : If you were consolidating to only two handgun calibers, what would they be, and why?

Airborne Infantryman
07-26-12, 18:12
I can pretty much count on M4C for deeply assessing a subject, and giving no BS answers.

With that said, I've sold all my handguns except my Glock 19C, which is currently on its way back from L&M Precision, after having a Trijicon RMR installed.

I have a .22LR pistol that belongs to my wife, and can use that for cheap practice, however, I prefer to train with the actual weapon I carry. Not looking to get another .22LR

I'm consolidating to only TWO handgun calibers, and 9mm is one of them.........which leaves me the true question- do I consolidate to 9mm and .40, or to 9mm and .45?

Ammo commonality, and effectiveness are factors, with price being a smaller factor.

I'm going with either an M&P or a Glock in whichever caliber I decide to go with.

I like the idea of .40, because its almost everywhere, and pretty much every PD is using .40 S&W, AFAIK.

I like the idea of .45, because the recoil impulse to me, is softer, and easier to control.

I'm considering a Glock 21 Gen 4 or an M&P 45 full-size in terms of .45 ACP.

For the .40 S&W side of the house, I'm considering a Glock 22 Gen 3, or an S&W M&P 40 full-size.

Reagans Rascals
07-26-12, 18:18
if you consolidate to 9mm and .40 S&W, you can get a Glock 23 Slide and barrel.... and use that on your 19.... gives you basically 2 pistols in one with the change of a slide...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297758659

just an inexpensive solution... saves you the cost of buying a new pistol.... and doesn't add another "death tool" in your name to the national registry...

can also use .357 SIG with a barrel swap..

Guns-up.50
07-26-12, 18:22
For the most part I shoot 9mm and only 9mm. If I plan to buy a new hg 99.9% it will be a 9mm UNLESS its used for a specific purpose (hunting, competition) I also have a Colt 1911 that is close to never fired.

The main reason I do this is because the 9mm is a great all around round, cheap, reliable and effective. I can and do use it for everything, and in the end of the day I really only need to worry about purchasing one type of ammo for all guns. This helps simplify things as well as allowing me to get some stock built up.
Again I would only pick one round you dont really gain much from the others..

Wiggity
07-26-12, 18:33
9mm and 9mm

vecdran
07-26-12, 18:34
.45 Webley and .41AE.

okie john
07-26-12, 18:39
It depends on what your uses are. I carry concealed and I hunt with a handgun, so I'd say 9mm and 44 Magnum.

I can load or buy 44 ammo for anything I'd ever do with it, from hunting deer to concealed carry. The 9 needs no discussion.

I don't see enough difference between the 9, 40, and 45 to consolidate to two of them, but it would be wise to have a 40 in case 9 ammo gets scarce again.

Okie John

seabiscuit
07-26-12, 18:56
9mm and .22LR. Other than hunting, 9mm does everything I need it to do. I know you said you have a .22, so I'd stick with that and the 9.

I don't think the increased cost and decreased mag capacity of .40 and .45 outweigh the benefits.

Ballistic Agency
07-26-12, 18:59
.45 Webley and .41AE.

Best answer yet. LOL

Excluding 22LR, I've consolidated down to 9 and 45.

I like Glocks in 9 and 1911s in 45 so this made the most sense to me.

07-26-12, 19:06
9mm for most everything and .22 for steel challenge and fun. I do have a .45 but rarely use it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-26-12, 19:13
.40 cal is the most developed round these days. Plus .22 for plinking

SpyderMan2k4
07-26-12, 19:32
If youre talking about calibers for typical carry guns, I'd say 9mm and .45, considering 40 is something of a compromise between those two anyway.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

MILSHOOTER
07-26-12, 19:40
9mm and 454 Casull. My 9mm Glock 17 is my favorite gun to compete with and 454 allows for the taking of larger targets.

Failure2Stop
07-26-12, 19:50
9mm and .460 S&W.
9 does everything I need it to do when it comes to something that I am going to carry, and 460 works on anything that a human has an excuse to be shooting with a pistol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skyugo
07-26-12, 19:55
i am consolidated to 2 handgun calibers, 9mm and 38 special.

9 is a great auto round, cheap to shoot, good penetration, good capacity even in small guns

38 special because j-frames are the best pocket guns.

VIP3R 237
07-26-12, 19:58
I would pick 40 S&W and 22 LR.

The reason i would go with a 40 vs a 9 is in most states that allow handgun hunting there is usually a restriction of a minimum of 500 ft-lbs. the 40 will reach that while with the 9mm is it very hard to reach that threshold without going +P+ which negates the "easier to shoot' arguement. Also the 40 has become very common across the nation and is the most 'modern' load.

22 LR is a no brainier, cheap cheap cheap, easy to shoot and you can carry ALOT of ammo.

El Cid
07-26-12, 20:00
For me I moved back to where I was previous to entering LE. I have 9mm and 45ACP now. I sold the G27 and used the money to buy a G26. I mastered the 40, but never cared for it and don't believe it does anything better than the other major pistol calibers.

So, if I want big bullets... I use 45. If I wants lots of bullets, or a smaller, easier to handle/conceal platform, I use 9mm. I don't feel more/less safe with either and I enjoy shooting both more than 40.

I know 9mm will always be around and it's the least expensive. If my significant other, or a friend/family member needs to borrow a gun during a crisis, the 9mm is perfect.

ishootguns
07-26-12, 20:38
For me it would be .40 and 9mm. Reason being is I primarily compete in USPSA limited with my .40 widebody and I concealed carry a 9mm. I can also load 9 major for my open gun and still technically fall under this hypothetical two caliber rule :-D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

QuickStrike
07-26-12, 21:04
I shoot mostly glocks in 9mm or 1911s, so 9mm and .45 for me. I have 44 mag and 10mm for the bigger stuff but don't shoot them as often because self defense against bigger animals are less likely.

Don't like to limit my tool choices to the extreme though.

Hogsgunwild
07-26-12, 21:58
For pure practicality in defensive calibers I think 9MM is number one and .40 S&W is number two. I could live with just those two and the forties would serve me well when I wanted more bite or am out in the boonies. My problem is that most of my favorite guns (custom 1911s, M&Ps, H&K USP) are in .45ACP.
I just like the guns themselves too much to give them up, just yet.

I hate to even say it out loud, but honestly, the .45ACP has become a bit outdated for me. Sure, it is more of a pleasure to shoot than the .40 (and is possibly inherently more accurate) but the; 1.) lower capacity, 2.) weight of each platform when loaded (at least compared to the 9MM) and 3.) cost of the rounds are all reasons why I don't get as much of a warm fuzzy anymore when carrying the .45ACP. I have listed those three reasons in the order of importance for me. Capacity and weight are way more important to me than cost but they all factor in. If the 9MM was the same price as .45ACP, I would still prefer to carry it.

Otherwise, I am still clinging on to the 10MM, .44 Magnum and .357 Magnums (more for fun than anything) but I do think it is practical to have at least one handgun that has some ass to it. The .44 Magnum in particular is a very practical "do it all" outdoors gun. In reality, in most states, I would be very comfortable outdoors with a .40 S&W.

KiserSose
07-26-12, 22:34
I would say 9mm and 40S&W so Incan cheat and make 357 Sigs if I needed to. ;)

KCBRUIN
07-27-12, 00:17
9mm for every handgun I own and will own that isn't a 1911. I'm not giving up my 1911's any time soon so the other would be .45.

tuck
07-27-12, 01:29
It depends on what your uses are. I carry concealed and I hunt with a handgun, so I'd say 9mm and 44 Magnum.

This is what I did.

I thought I wanted a .22 that I could use for cheap plinking/training but like most others, I prefer to train with what I carry. I sold off the .22 and picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag. Now I can hunt anywhere in the state, as well as get my single action revolver fix at the same time.

TED
07-27-12, 02:51
9mm and 10mm or .40 & 9mm depending on whether or not your hand will fit a G20.

9mm for two legged predators and 10mm for four legged predators.

Both in Glock platforms please.

Also note that you can get a .40 barrell for the G20, a 9mm barrelle for the .40 Glocks and .22lr conversions for either one.

That it plenty of versatility there. I currently run a G20 10mm for the woods, however, I would consider a G24 upper as an alternative.

TED

ffhounddog
07-27-12, 03:45
9mm and 40sw.

I have a lot of time shooting 9mm and it is cheaper than 40sw. I have copies of my guns in 9mm and 40sw.

Why 40sw? It is what the fiance shoots and carries for work. Also you can get the good carry ammo for almost the same price as hardball 40sw.

I carry a HK P2000 or a Glock 23 in 40 as my two primary carry guns 95% of the time.

RogerinTPA
07-27-12, 05:26
I'd stick with the 9mm x 2, for both you and the wife, and 22lr for plinking, practice and small game hunting. Cost & savings would be the main concern compared with other calibers. Another reason is both calibers are ubiquitous & universal, worldwide. Although I do love my 40, and 45 M&Ps, they are pretty much nitch U.S. cartridges and available mostly here in the US. I wouldn't count on any LEO or Military organizations to be sharing ammo with the civilian population, unless it was a complete and total civilization collapse, then I still wouldn't count on it.

The_War_Wagon
07-27-12, 06:32
.45 - ubiquitous, proven stopping power, controllability, 1911 design

.357 - because it ALSO shoots .38 Special

I've got .22 Ruger Mk.III as well, so I guess three has to be MY magic number.

Esq.
07-27-12, 08:13
For serious use handguns I have consolidated on 9mm and .45. The 9mm speaks for itself- it is the defacto standard self defense cartridge in the United States, no question about it. More 9mm ammo is probably sold in centerfire rounds than all the others combined. There are many benefits to this- the ammo is cheaper, mags, holsters, guns and parts are easier to find and cheaper as well.

I never had any interest in the .40. I have quite a few guns and it can get confusing as to what is what in terms of magazines etc...at times- the 9mm and .45 setup takes care of that problem. I never have to worry about trying to make a .40 case feed into a nearly identical 9mm handgun or the opposite- which I have seen done. 9mm cartridges fired in a .40 SW make a funny noise :eek: and the brass doesn't reload all that well either!

Logistics simplicity is a virtue and with modern ammo I don't think there is much difference in performance.

SHIVAN
07-27-12, 08:44
9mm and 22lr.

Jack-O
07-27-12, 09:15
One of the "service calibers" is by far enough. 9mm meets that need so there is no real LOGICAL reason to choose another as the second handgun caliber.

the arguement there is that if you ever really needed another readily available service caliber that if the ammo was there, so would be the pistol. so no need for you to keep one around. right?

that leaves us with the logical choice of a magnum caliber of some sort.

44 mag has a LOT going for it in the "common caliber" arena and is hard to say no to as a very usable and shootable round. 45 Colt has the same thing.

IF you choose 45 colt, then bumping up to a 454 casull platform which shoots 45 colt nicely is a logical step.

personally I really like the 9mm 10mm combo for pistols with the 454 carbine filling the role of the "big bore rifle" and also having a revolver in that same caliber. the 10mm fills the role of the magnum pistol very nicely, particularly when reloaded yet retains the magazine capacity and portability of a smaller pistol particularly with the G29SF/G20SF

So, in summation... 9mm/10mm fills the service caliber AND magnum pistol check boxes, but going a step further and bumping up to a 44 mag makes ammo availability easier and gives more power and penetration. Bumping it further up to a 45 Colt/454 casull c could check both the big bore rifle AND magnum pistol boxes really nicely AND allows a greater range of power levels and bullet weights from 135gr to 400gr.

there is is! worth exactly what you paid for it :D

SOWT
07-27-12, 10:16
9MM and .45.
I went with those two because ammon availability hasn't been a problem for me; unlike some of my friends with other ammo needs.
The government will be using 9MM and .45 for a long time, and will be in charge of most ammo manufacturing for awhile too.

G-lock
07-27-12, 13:04
9mm and .22, all in M&P..

G34
07-27-12, 13:17
9mm and .45ACP

9mm for practice, competition, people.

.45 for hunting and woods carry. Unless you go to Alaska or certain parts of Montana and Wyoming where Grizzly are present that is all you need.

Both widely available in a variety of loadings.

MistWolf
07-27-12, 13:30
If I had to consolidate to two calibers, it would probably be the 9mm and the 45 Colt.

As all defense ammo being made to meet the FBI criteria and the absolute dominance of the self loading pistol has all but eliminated any significant difference in terminal performance of the different calibers. That means the 9mm is the most practical choice with it's lower recoil and compact cartridge size allowing more rounds to be carried in your handgun.

The 45 Colt in a handgun made with modern steels is the most practical choice for hunting. It can meet or exceed the performance of a 44 Magnum at lower pressures and can do so with heavier bullets. With properly constructed bullets, very deep penetration is achieved even with lower velocities and reduced recoil. Factory ammo runs tha gamut from light recoiling for practice and Cowboy Action Shooting to Holy crap that hits hard at BOTH ends!

I will cheat and add a third- the 22LR because I've got to have something for the kids to shoot. You must think of the children.

But it will be a cold day in Hell before I give up my 45 ACP and 357 Magnum

nineteenkilo
07-27-12, 13:44
I've already consolidated down to only two calibers. My go-to ammo is either 9mm or 45ACP. This is for a couple of reasons.

1. I am extremely practiced and experienced with these two rounds.
2. I am already set up to reload both calibers and have all of the components en masse and at the ready.
3. Every time I try to introduce something new - it doesn't work for me. I hate new. New is bad for me.
4. I am confident that either round is capable of doing exactly what I need it to do when the time comes.

JonInWA
07-27-12, 14:00
For most practical purposes, I've already pretty much accomplished this-to 9mm and .45 ACP.

That said, I still have and use .357/.38 Special (mostly .38 Special 125gr +P), and .22 for practice.

I've divested myself of all .40 guns, save my FN Hi-Power; it's a great gun and I simply like having the caliber covered with one trustworthy gun, in case of 9mm/.45 ammunition shortfalls.

I think that for most practical purposes, given modern cartridge/powder/bullet advances, 9mm is the real winner, providing performance at a lower price.

Best, Jon

CumbiaDude
07-27-12, 14:53
9mm and 9mmTook the words out of my mouth.

Red Rezin
07-27-12, 16:31
For me, I'd consolidate to down to one type of handgun round and get a second gun in that caliber with interchangeable parts. Why bother stocking two types of handgun ammo for the same purpose? You will have your long guns and ammo for the other purposes. Just my way of doing it though, obviously it's your decision to make.

Red Rezin

theblackknight
07-27-12, 16:52
9mm and 9mm.

Noodles
07-27-12, 17:26
9mm and 9mm

Pretty much.

If we can all agree that ALL handgun calibers suck. And they do. If you can't understand that and think 45acp will make someone just vaporize, then I feel for you. Since handgun shootings regardless of caliber have an 80% survival rate;

I'm going to want the best option considering power but more importantly capacity, low recoil, and cost to train enough to put rounds accurately where I want them. That's 9mm.

I've been noticing a mass exodus away from 40 and 45 from people I trust on the subject. Anecdotal evidence suggests that of the last two classes I've been to, no one has shot anything but 9mm including the instructors using their carry guns. Just my opinion but unless you have perfect aim under life being threatened stress, 9mm is where it's at. If you have perfect aim, I suggest a 500 S&W.... and 22 for plinking :)

WillBrink
07-27-12, 18:06
I can pretty much count on M4C for deeply assessing a subject, and giving no BS answers.

With that said, I've sold all my handguns except my Glock 19C, which is currently on its way back from L&M Precision, after having a Trijicon RMR installed.

I can tell you what I am essentially consolidate to: 9mm and .45 ACP in both guns and the ammo they require with emphasis on 9mm these days.

packinaglock
07-27-12, 18:11
For me 9mm for CC and 10mm for hunting hogs.

fowler
07-27-12, 18:31
Just two cal's 9m/m and 45 acp. A Navy Seal 226 9mm & Sig 220 45acp,same holsters,same controls,break down. Ultra reliable&accurate. They both look the same in the holster.

gun71530
07-27-12, 18:39
I consolidated a few years back. I sold any handgun that wasn't a 9mm.

Wolvee
07-27-12, 18:46
No question 9mm & 45colt 9mm takes care of almost everything and you have some carbine options. 45 Long Colt has a wealth of revolvers that are both easy to work on and extremely reliable. Not to mention the number of lever action rifles available. :0)

Striker
07-27-12, 19:50

I have a .22LR pistol that belongs to my wife, and can use that for cheap practice, however, I prefer to train with the actual weapon I carry. Not looking to get another .22LR

I'm consolidating to only TWO handgun calibers, and 9mm is one of them.........which leaves me the true question- do I consolidate to 9mm and .40, or to 9mm and .45?

Ammo commonality, and effectiveness are factors, with price being a smaller factor.

I'm going with either an M&P or a Glock in whichever caliber I decide to go with.

I like the idea of .40, because its almost everywhere, and pretty much every PD is using .40 S&W, AFAIK.

I like the idea of .45, because the recoil impulse to me, is softer, and easier to control.

For the .40 S&W side of the house, I'm considering a Glock 22 Gen 3, or an S&W M&P 40 full-size.

So you're looking for two different defense/carry calibers. Personally, I like 9mm. And I do because I shoot it better than the others. More rounds in a smaller group in a shorter amount of time, for me personally, equals good.

Regarding the second caliber, I really like .45acp; well, more to the point, I like 1911s quite a bit. Having said that, I'll also say that for a second DEFENSE caliber I would probably choose .357/.38. The reason is that I like a Jframe for a BUG or a discreet carry gun. I shoot them pretty well, so it's fine. Also, one day I will probably be old (the alternative is dead) and I may not be able to rack a slide or field strip a pistol. In that case six rounds of .357 magnum will do just fine thank you for defense purposes. Even if you include the possibility of medium-large animals, I would prefer a rifle or shotgun with slugs anyway so that wouldn't really play into my decision.

Frailer
07-27-12, 23:00
I've only kept two centerfire handgun calibers for a few years now: 9mm for my semi-autos and 38 special for my J-frames.

I don't feel the need for a second semi-auto caliber, but if you can determine why you do your question might answer itself.

Magic_Salad0892
07-27-12, 23:42
9x19mm, and 22 LR.

Redmanfms
07-28-12, 00:16
.45 ACP and .38 Special, that's because I cheat and consider the .22 a rifle caliber....

Arik
07-28-12, 08:09
I generally stick with the 9 & 45. I swore i'd never buy a 40 because it doesn't really do anything that the other 2 cant however, i did just end up purchasing a 3rd gen S&W 4046. It was too cheap to pass up and in great condition. I figure just in case an extra gun couldnt hurt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Arik
07-28-12, 08:15
I generally stick with the 9 & 45. I swore i'd never buy a 40 because it doesn't really do anything that the other 2 cant however, i did just end up purchasing a 3rd gen S&W 4046. It was too cheap to pass up and in great condition. I figure just in case an extra gun couldnt hurt.

Arik
07-28-12, 08:15

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 10:36
.45 and .40

Big A
07-28-12, 18:13
9mm and .45ACP. They're the most common and meet any needs I could possibly have.

I'm currently trying to get rid of my 1 .40S&W to switch to .45ACP.

I also have .38spl/.357mag because I love wheel guns.

RyanB
07-28-12, 20:04
9 and 10mm depending on the leg count on the target.

Drifting Fate
07-28-12, 21:41
.22LR is the easy choice for anyone who spends a lot of trigger time and has to pay for their own ammo. So, the choice is about what centerfire cartridge to hang onto. The .357 is tempting, but 9mm is more to my taste as I don't handgun hunt.

QuietShootr
07-28-12, 22:29
As attached as I have been to the .45, I think the 9mm is going to get the nod here. And I don't even own a .40, but I think I should get a couple of them just to be able to scavenge ammo.

nitmr26
07-28-12, 23:07
9mm and .45 ACP

Dr.Venkman
07-29-12, 00:51
9mm and 10mm I carry my G19 most of the time but when I'm out hiking or 4x4 I carry my G29

glocktogo
07-29-12, 23:05
I dumped all my .40's and went with 9mm & .45ACP. I still have .38/.357 and .44Mag, but I'm thinking about dumping those as well and getting a 10MM for hunting. Then I would be consolidated to Glock & 1911's.

s0nspark
07-30-12, 12:14
9mm and 10mm I carry my G19 most of the time but when I'm out hiking or 4x4 I carry my G29

My thoughts EXACTLY :)

9mm == cheap to shoot
10mm == awesome to shoot ;-)

Awesome1228
07-30-12, 17:49
It looks like I'm on the same track as a lot of other folks. 9mm is pretty self explanatory, and .45 because I have a lot of practice with that caliber and availability of ammo primarily, although there are other less quantifiable reasons.

I would have a hard time getting rid of my .22s though. I have a .41 magnum blackhawk that I have been thinking of selling to buy a .44 mag blackhawk, mostly because of availability of ammo. I personally prefer the .41, but the .44 ammo is much more readily available and less expensive to boot. Either way, I would have a very difficult time giving up the magnum. It rides my hip pretty regularly in hunting and fishing trips and even while just out hiking. I spend quite a bit of time in areas where running across a grizzly or a moose is a distinct possibility. I have also considered going the .357/.38 route due to the ability to shoot more than one caliber, but in a lot of places, the .357 is not legal for hunting while the .41 and .44 are.

Anyway, all my other caliber handguns have already gone by the wayside.

tpd223
07-30-12, 18:37
All of my serious carry handguns are either Glock 9mms of various size or S&W J frame .38s

I pretty much have the tactical and match shooting niches covered with those choices.

badness
07-30-12, 18:49
I'm not one that would start a caliber debate, because i do believe 9mm is fine and shot placement trumps all. However, for me, having a bigger bullet just "subconsciously" makes me feel better for defensive ammo.

Not only do i have guns for defense, but i have them for fun. To me, having fun shooting requires me to feel each shot. 9mm and especially .22lr, although a lot more economic, doesn't give me the joy of shooting than a round with a bit more punch to it.

For those reasons along with the fact that cost doesn't matter to you much, I'd go with .40 and .45

currahee
07-30-12, 19:13
.22 and 9mm

.22LR = cheap practice, great for starting people off (and SHTF hunting with my can)

9mm = a great defensive round I can aford to practice with more than any of the others.

And I'm already consolidated to that except for some 38/357s that I inherited

If I lived in bear country I might consider 44mag

If I cared about IPSC enough I might get a .40S&W to get into major

masakari
07-30-12, 20:07
I vote .45ACP. Soft shooter, well known stopping power, ammo is plentiful.

WARRIOR84
07-30-12, 20:20
Definitely .45 ACP

youngAR
07-30-12, 21:03
9mm and .45acp. I enjoy the recoil much better and can find em just about everywhere.

carolvs
07-30-12, 21:05
9mm for everyday carry with quality ammo (HST or Ranger-T). Performs to the same standards as the other service calibers while offering higher capacity and lower costs.

I don't see a need for a second caliber unless it is for a woods gun, where .44 Mag will stop anything in North America.

tctlrld
07-30-12, 23:07
9mm and .45 ACP covers the spectrum for me. I trust 9mm as much as any other round when loaded with a top-tier defensive loading (HST etc).

Richard Belott
07-31-12, 08:32
9mm and 45

d90king
07-31-12, 11:38
9mm for Wonder Plastic / Glocks and .45 for 1911's / Hk45C... Covers any and all of my needs.

ARonBoard
07-31-12, 11:41
In pistols I keep 9 and 45.

Both extremely plentiful and both very easy to accustom new shooters to.

smitty704
07-31-12, 12:02
9mm and .223.

Because where I live(and I assume most places) 9mm is the most available and affordable caliber for self defense. Plus, all of my handguns are 9mm except for my LCP.

My AR15 is .223/5.56, but just incase I had to give up my AR for some reason, most AR's in my area are chambered in .223/5.56, and some only .223. Plus, .223 is relatively inexpensive and readily available at my local Walmart, and 5.56 is not as abundant.

So choosing 9mm and .223 would give me more flexibility then any other calibers in my situation and area.

****AFTER POSING I REALIZED ITS ONLY HANDGUN AMMO, SO ONLY 9mm WOULD BE NECESSARY**** :)

ARonBoard
07-31-12, 12:09
Is there a .223 handgun I dont know about? Dont say AR pistol please. ;)

Tiny86
07-31-12, 23:08
I would go with 9mm and .40 s&w.
9 for practice. (but no reason that you can't carry it every now and then if you feel that your in a rut)
.40 for carrying. As a few others have said .40 is a very developed round.

Microalign
08-02-12, 11:47
.40 cal is the most developed round these days. Plus .22 for plinking

This. Words of experience that some find hard to believe on internet forums. ;)

redone13
08-02-12, 16:33
9 and 45 for me. Just what I'm used to using.

Watrdawg
08-02-12, 16:47
Since you have the 9mm already my next choice would be 45acp but not in the S&W M&P full size. I would go with the M&P Midsize. Easier to conceal that the full size. I shoot the Midsize and it is very accurate and so far completely reliable. I've put about 2500 rounds through mine over the last year. Most of that shooting was during classes.

That was all predicated on definitely going with 2 calibers for self defense. Personally I'm sticking with 1 caliber, 45acp, for my SD weapons. Mainly for training and weapons/ammo continuity. I do hunt with a 44mag and as far as sticking with 2 handgun calibers those are my 2, 45acp and 44mag.

SkiDevil
08-02-12, 23:05
I already settled on (2) centirefire handgun calibers: 9mm and .45 ACP.

I selected these two for the following principal considerations; cost, availability, and effectiveness.

The 9mm for practice, self-defense, and recreation. And the .45 ACP for outdoor carry in the mountains and desert.

Any of the modern loadings can de effective for self-defense, but I think that it just boils down to individual preference and comfort with the chosen handgun and caliber.

After owning pistols in several calibers including .44 magnum, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, and .38 special, I chose the two aforementioned in order to simplify ordering ammunition and storage.

I would add that I own several .22 rimfires but I don't count those. Finally, if I move into the Northern part of the U.S. where there are large bears and other similar large mammals, then I would add either a 10 mm or a .44 magnum for outdoors protection.

SkiDevil

MegademiC
08-02-12, 23:52
didnt read the whole things, but my $.02 is 9mm and 40.

9mm is good to carry and cheap practice(.22 doesnt get full effect). I have noticed good bjhp are easy to get and pretty cheap with contract overruns in .40. I found it cheaper to stock 40 than 9 jhp but maybe im looking in wrong places.

either way, you have two similar guns that do same thing and plenty of ammo.

BigJoe
08-02-12, 23:54
9mm and 45

Alaskapopo
08-02-12, 23:58

9mm and 45 colt. The reason I say 45 colt is I have a Bowen Custom revolver in this caliber with a 5 shot cylinder and it can launch 350 grain lead slugs at 1400 fps and I can still fire the mild factory 250 grainers at 900 as well. I can also reload with black powder and still have a reasonably powerful handgun. The choice of the 9mm is obvious.
Pat

zimm17
08-03-12, 09:03
Depends on what are you doing. Do you really need two home defense calibers? No. You already have a 9mm, so stick with that. In my case, I'm all in with .40 and since I reload for it, no plans to move to 9mm or 45.

.22 for the other.

Are you going to reload? Hunt? Want something FUN to shoot? I love my .44 magnum. I can reload with light cowboy target loads that are fun to shoot (kaboom! with no pain), or load with 300gr powerhouse rounds and you can take out a bear- or scare your friends with the recoil.

Jack-O
08-03-12, 09:05
45 seems to be a really popular choice but if one looks at it logically there is just no reason for the redundancy of keeping a second service caliber. Choosing a magnum big bore pistol caliber as the second caliber or maybe a .22 is about all that makes sense.

jared91
08-03-12, 09:42
9mm and .45acp

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

blake g
08-03-12, 12:25
9x19 and .44 Magnum...

jasonhgross
08-03-12, 13:16
I already did this about 5 years ago, down to 9x19 and .38spl, but I could go with only one, that being 9mm. Drink the cool-aid, you will shoot more and as a result, be a better shooter with less to worry about. Take the next step even, and go down to just one pistol platform. I went with the Glock 9mm pistols.

RugerFord
08-04-12, 15:27
Last year I got over the need of having every handgun in every caliber and reduced my defensive pistols to full size carry in .45ACP and a small 9mm for back-up/off duty deep concealment.

Pistol Shooter
08-04-12, 15:52
9mm and .45acp for my primary use handguns. Also have .357 mag and .45 Colt for some safe queens.

DocH
08-05-12, 09:50
If only two,I'd take a 9mm, probably a Glock 17 or 19,and a S&W .357 revolver.
Why? Availability of ammo in 9mm and 38 Spec.as well as the ability to use .357 for the heavy work.

Curly
08-05-12, 10:00
If it were me I'd go for 9mm and 45acp, which I've already consolidated down to 9mm (Glocks) and 45acp (1911's) and feel it's the best overall selections for my use.

seb5
08-05-12, 19:32
For me I am issued a Glock 40 for duty but everything else in my house is very simple. Glock 19's for all 4 of my family, a .22 to plink with. I did the same thing with AR's with the still waiting PredatAR in 7.62 and a .22 or 2. I don't hunt anymore so this makes logistics simple in my house.

Warp
08-06-12, 00:25
Two handgun calibers?

9x19 and .357 magnum.

For defense against people they are great. The 9mm is plenty with the right ammo, capacity is great, ammo is less-expensive, follow up shots are pretty quick, and it is readily available. .357 is a great chambering for a revolver. It's fun. It's effective. It can do woods defense east of the Mississippi, with the right load. It can fire .38 spl, which can be great for defense against people, especially for newer shooters, and is a great platform for instructing new shooters. Also readily available.

Now, if I could only have to handGUNS, they would both be 9mm. Glock 26 and Glock 19. But two calibers is a lot easier to pick.

RyanS
08-06-12, 22:12
After trying to consolidate solely to the 45, the ammo costs proved to be too much and I went back strictly to the 9. If I was to add another caliber, it would be the 40 but keep it in the same platform as the 9 which would allow me to use the same holsters and mag pouches. Another factor in this decision is the fact that during the last ammo hoarding episode, 40 was about the only mainstream caliber that I could readily find at the local gun shops and sporting goods stores.

evosil98
08-07-12, 04:19
9mm and .22lr

I've recently became a big fan of .22lr. Cheap, accurate and fun.

Brahmzy
08-07-12, 07:55
I've screwed around with lots of calibers.

9mm & 45ACP are the keepers.

crusader377
08-07-12, 08:14
Although I have handguns currently in two calibers (9mm and .45). I actually think that most people including myself would be well served with just one caliber which I think the best option is 9mm. I like the .45 and the 1911 platform but I simply don't shoot .45 that much anymore due to cost.

Furthermore, with the advances in modern ammunition, .45 simply doesn't have that much advantage over the 9mm in effectiveness and with 9mm you have a platform than has much higher capacity and is cheaper to train with.

ericb
08-07-12, 16:53
.357 and 10mm

j0sh
08-07-12, 17:07
I have already done this. Went with 9mm and .45.

Awesome1228
08-07-12, 17:15
.357 and 10mm

Unusual choices, why these two? They seem to fill the same role, at least from my way of thinking.

Noodles
08-07-12, 17:26
.357 and 10mm

Joke bro?

Suwannee Tim
08-07-12, 17:31
The most powerful practical revolver cartridge is the 454 Casull, the 460 S&W requires an outsized revolver that is all but a crew served weapon and not very practical or versatile. 454 can always be loaded down as needed. Maybe, maybe a 44 instead of 454. That and a 40 or maybe maybe a 9 instead. 9 is a bit light, a pocket pistol caliber really. And 38 for pocket revolvers. That's three. Oops. Seriously, I shoot 454, 45, 44, 40, 357 SIG, 357 magnum, 38 and 9, only eight calibers. That's not many. In rifles I shoot 204 Ruger, 5.56, 243, 25-06, 7mm Mauser, 6.8, 308, 30-06, 300 Win mag, 338 Federal, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, 375 RUM, 450 Bushmaster, 458 Winchester magnum and soon hope to add 458 SOCOM, 416 Rigby if not Dakota, 260 Remington and 300 AAC and 338 Lapua for an even 20. Not too many. Not really. I know folks who shoot twice that many calibers. I know folks who shoot one caliber. Forgot 577 Tyrannosaur if I can get one for a good price, 460 Weatherby otherwise. Let me know if you got one for sale.

Noodles
08-07-12, 18:25
I just got done writing this up for another forum where the topic was XXX vs YYY hollow point, but it reminded me of this thread and that it might be on topic here...

For what it's worth to anyone... I spent this weekend with a trauma surgeon on a remote river trip. We had plenty of time to chat about all sorts of things. He had just a few weeks ago had to put down a mountain lion that was in hanging around his camp and eyeing up his dog, one 357 in the head put it down, but two more until it stopped gurgling, this is just a side note.

Anyhow... We got to talking about that event and all the shootings he's had to patch up throughout the 25 years he was working emergency on call. He pretty quickly got to the agreed point that it DOES NOT MATTER what you are shot with, you just better hope it was one shot or a couple really bad ones. While working in trauma in Chicago and saw plenty of small caliber (22 and 32) shootings and agreed that all but ocular cavity shots were generally survivable.

He mentioned that multiple shots from 22 to 44mag were the only thing he would have considered really effective. No matter what's wrong with you, there isn't time for more than one surgeon to really be working on you at any instance, so multiple shots make survival less likely. He made absolutely no distinction between between handgun calibers as for the oft discussed "permanent wound cavity" and etc he said it's there is a lot of squishy meat in there that gets cut up and sown together but a lot of the shots all look the same.

He commented that a lot of what you see in the movies about "WE HAVE TO GET TEH BULLET OUT!!" is BS and that often depending on where it is, the bullet or parts of the jacket will be left intentionally. There is a liability issues with taking it out if that act might cause death.

He mentioned how hollowpoint or ball ammo, a shot through the lungs or heart is going to kill you eventually without quick medial attention, but things like muscles and particular the liver does a fine job of healing itself up, spinal hits are likely to stop but unlikely to kill. He had a couple of patients hit with rifles, including a memorable one where a guy was hit in the heart with a 30-06 through a wall and survived. Everything came back to multiple hits.

I asked about cheap ball ammo, good hollowpoints and etc. He recalled that as a doctor it didn't much matter. He had patients with single hits by cops in what we both would assume was .40 and good hollowpoints that would commonly survive and come in the next couple or even the same year with a stabbing or another bullet hole.

It's all annedotal and no one should base their defense choices on the above. However, it absolutely solidified for me that any 9mm hollow point that I know works in my gun and is accurate is the correct choice for me. Further 9mm because I can practice more with it. I don't care what brand, how much the mfg says it will or won't penetrate, or how gnarly the bullet pulled out of wet newspaper looks. Multiple Accurate Shots are all that seem to matter.

dsg2003gt
08-08-12, 23:28
9mm and 45

9mm-For my glocks - its cheap and easy to practice with.

.45-For 1911s, just can't seem to find any 9mm 1911s worth a grain...

Wolf Spyder
08-20-12, 23:54
I would select 40 S&W and 10mm.

The same fire arm can fire both. The 40 S&W is the most common Law Enforcement cartridge so finding ammo is much easier. The 10mm is a great all around cartridge for everything from Self Defense & Home Defense to Hunting most north american game animals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/JW7E2452small.jpg

Noodles
08-21-12, 09:54
I would select 40 S&W and 10mm.

The same fire arm can fire both. The 40 S&W is the most common Law Enforcement cartridge so finding ammo is much easier.

WOW!

That's some world class terrible advice and reasoning there. Further proof that 9mm is the way to go when you have people suggesting using 40sw in 10mm guns... Where is it the case headspaces from again?

s0nspark
08-21-12, 10:00
WOW!

That's some world class terrible advice and reasoning there. Further proof that 9mm is the way to go when you have people suggesting using 40sw in 10mm guns... Where is it the case headspaces from again?

I'd bet we're talking about a conversion barrel... at least that's how I'd do it. ;-)

As for 9mm being "the way to go" ... well, that depends largely on where that way takes you. It works fine against most 2-legged animals but not so well against 4-legged ones.

Remember, one size does not fit all.

Noodles
08-21-12, 12:00
It works fine against most 2-legged animals but not so well against 4-legged ones.

Oh, I agree, I've just found two legged animals to be less reasonable than most 4 legged ones and I spend a lot of time in grizzly country. I'll give a nod to 10mm as an outdoor gun, but I have found it's more socially acceptable and less attention drawing to carry a revolver. Since I'm not foolish enough to shoot at a bear, I carry 357 for smaller size and weight and some bear spray if I think we might need it.

That said, I can't find much reason to support 10mm as an edc. Or 40sw at all.

Moltke
08-21-12, 12:51
9mm for my Glocks and pretty much all the shooting that I do using pistols.

.45acp for the one 1911 that I own because it's fun to shoot occasionally.

Aside from that both are plentiful popular cartridges that can be easily bought in bulk, have good hollowpoint designs, can easily be reloaded with commonly available components...

s0nspark
08-21-12, 12:59

For me it comes down to wanting to carry the same gun no matter where I need to go... a quick mag swap and I am good to go.

aveisone
08-21-12, 16:19
9mm and .22lr are my choices. Take it as you will.

Wolf Spyder
08-22-12, 03:26

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0402_0403enhancedcroppedsmall.jpg

And I have 15 more rounds right behind it if need be, as well as at least two more fully loaded standard capacity, 15 round, magazines on my hip.

SW-Shooter
08-22-12, 03:53
I initially consolidated down to two calibers, the .45 ACP, and the 9 MM, but then I realized an extra big bore caliber would come in handy. So I picked up a Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum. While I realize that the .357 magnum is not a true big bore cartridge, it's close enough for government work.

matemike
08-22-12, 07:45
9mm because of all above mentioned reasons (carry easy, lots of ammo, 2 legged predator weapon)

and 357 magnum because I hunt with it. I have a lever action in same caliber and they can shoot 38 specials for going on cheaper, softer plinking days. This is if I continue to live in Texas

If I ever retire to Alaska, I say I would consolidate to 9mm still, and 44 magnum. Same set up, I have a revolver and lever action in 44mag. simply because of bigger animlas in AK than TX.

Hogsgunwild
08-22-12, 09:14
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0402_0403enhancedcroppedsmall.jpg

And I have 15 more rounds right behind it if need be, as well as at least two more fully loaded standard capacity, 15 round, magazines on my hip.

Wow. Glock Talk has it's own Ballistics Expert now?

Warp
08-22-12, 12:04
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0402_0403enhancedcroppedsmall.jpg[IMG]

I choose 9mm and .357 magnum.

whitjct
08-23-12, 16:18
9mm and 45

ztug
08-23-12, 21:57
1911 in .45 if I'm going someplace dangerous. Colt Mustang in .380 for formal occasions. And good defensive ammo in each.

Ian111
08-24-12, 18:37
I already did.

9mm

.357 Magnum (I can shoot .38 Spl in all my .357 mag revolvers so its a bonus)

Alaskapopo
08-24-12, 19:22
if you consolidate to 9mm and .40 S&W, you can get a Glock 23 Slide and barrel.... and use that on your 19.... gives you basically 2 pistols in one with the change of a slide...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297758659

just an inexpensive solution... saves you the cost of buying a new pistol.... and doesn't add another "death tool" in your name to the national registry...can also use .357 SIG with a barrel swap..

There is no national registry.
I used to have 40sw,357 sig and 9mm barrels all in the same gun and found it over time to be useless. The calibers are redunant and don't do anything for you the other calibers will not. Your better off in my view getting something like a service pistol caliber and a .22 lr or a 44 mag. At least then you have different tools that can do radically different things.
Pat

Microalign
08-24-12, 21:04
Your better off in my view getting something like a service pistol caliber and a .22 lr or a 44 mag. At least then you have different tools that can do radically different things.
Pat

Yep.

One service caliber, and one specialty caliber(s). Wisely pick a service caliber based on your likely scenarios, carry needs, and monitary support.......and then stick with it. Shoot it, reload it, get used to it.....and you will master the art of the handgun much better than trying to split your muscle memory between many different platforms.

jp0319
08-24-12, 23:17
for me if I had to choose two calibers they would be 9mm and .45 acp.

JP

cbbully
08-25-12, 13:15
9mm and 45 acp

Nephrology
08-25-12, 13:43
9mm and 22LR.

If .22 doesn't count.... .38SPL. Gotta have a pocket gun.

warriorsociologist
08-26-12, 13:54
9mm and 22LR.

If .22 doesn't count.... .38SPL. Gotta have a pocket gun.

This.

Right now, I have consolidated to: 10mm, 9mm, .357 mag, .38spec., and .22lr for handguns.

dante2
08-26-12, 14:45
9mm and .45 for me. I have enough with 4 calibers and a 12 gauge on the way.

Axcelea
08-26-12, 15:23
Of the options you mention I would go the 9MM and 45 Auto route. 45 just gives me a warmer feeling then 40S&W if a 9MM isn't enough. 45 also will give more options imo in diversification later on.

Going a more personal route for self defense and it is 9MM and 357 mag. As others have mentioned you really only need to have one semi-auto service caliber which is the 9MM with the 357 mag giving you options for pocket carry as well as less likely larger frame revolvers.

To do anything under the sun I have to agree with F2S and say 9MM and 460 mag. Can also do 454 casull and 45 colt.

blackbox
08-26-12, 21:47
I train with my Glocks and they're 9mm. I have a couple 1911's , so 9mm and .45 for me.

bondmid003
08-27-12, 01:16
Hands down .40 and .45

Vic303
09-28-12, 22:10
9mm and .38/.357 for my choices. The .357 gives my everything from a pocket rocket, to a lever action long fun.

bleaman225
09-28-12, 22:33
9mm and .38/.357 for my choices. The .357 gives my everything from a pocket rocket, to a lever action long fun.

+1 couldn't have said it better myself

kwesi
09-29-12, 09:21
10mm due to it's versatility. You can load it from 135gr - 220gr. Ideal for 2 or 4 legged attacks or hunting. .22LR for plinking.

fowler
09-29-12, 17:12
In a combat defence automatic the two cal's would be 90% of the time a 9m/m and the other 10% a 45acp Colt 1911,but in truth the 9m/m would be fine.

usmcvet
09-06-20, 10:29
i am consolidated to 2 handgun calibers, 9mm and 38 special.

9 is a great auto round, cheap to shoot, good penetration, good capacity even in small guns

38 special because j-frames are the best pocket guns.

Good points. I suppose I could get a 9mm J Frame and get down to 3. . Do they make them in the 642. I seem to remember a Steel 940. That’s my preferred J-Frame. I bet someone is still doing conversions. I think 9mm and 22 is a great pair. I’d go so far as to say everyone should have at least one of each and better yet two of each. OP did you have a pistol while the 19 was out getting work done? I want to send my 19X out for an RMR cut and have the G45 as a spare.

I have gotten it down to four Calibers. I sold all but one .40 a G22. I Have been using .40 since 1992 and have LOTS of .40 ammo and a pile of G22 magazines it made sense to keep it. I have a Brace of .38’s. Not a proper brace as Clint Smith would describe but the 642 and a beautiful old 2” Model 10.

I have a S&W Shield that replaced the 642 for most pocket carry. I remember thinking where’s this gun been my whole career. Then I discovered the G43X and 15 round Shield magazines and had the same thought. . I bought the G19X when it came out. I git a G45 and my first RMR last week. I like the improvements over the 19X.

I just found this custom shop: https://tkcustom.com/services/machining-sw
It says a .38 Or .357 cylinder rechambered To 9mm Will still shoot .38/.357. Have any of you used them? I’d say it’s a deal breaker. No hot rounds in their conversions. No NATO or +P rounds.

Firefly
09-06-20, 11:14
9mm and .45 just out of both practicality and feels.

1986s4
09-06-20, 14:22
.45 Webley and .41AE.

Ha ! Very good. For me it would be 9mm and .38 spl. But look at the recent ammo shortage, having alternative calibers is proving handy to me. Where 9mm and .38 spl. has been unavailable I was able to get .38 super auto for a reasonable price. Otherwise bare shelves with 10mm auto, etc.

It helps to be able to reload too.

Right now wishing I had a long gun in 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 39 ....

maximus83
09-06-20, 14:41
Consolidated 2 years ago to just 9 and 45, and reduced number of different pistol platforms I have. Now thinking of going to 9 only...

okie
09-06-20, 17:07
I have 9mm and .32 ACP only. 9mm because it's the best, and .32 because it fits where 9mm doesn't.

mark5pt56
09-06-20, 18:02
2012?, really?