PDA

View Full Version : Which Geissele trigger?

brasse
07-26-12, 20:52
I have looked at dozens of forum responses about AR triggers, but still confused about which to get.

First I have never used a two stage rifle trigger, always shot shotgun and handguns.

My AR now is a New Frontier lower with an ALG Defense ACT trigger, single stage about 5.5 pounds break. Using a Mako recoil reducing stock, Spikes tactical T2 buffer, Sprinco "blue" action spring.

Upper is a Superior Barrels Lilja Patrolman 17 inch carbine gas system with Clark Custom carbon fiber handguard. I have shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards of .375 and a 5 shot 0.75 inches. I am NOT a good rifle shot, that was my first sub MOA group ever.

But I would like to shoot even better, so thinking about a Geissele trigger group. But their web site shows 7 triggers for "competition".

I was looking at the SSA-E and the SD-E as I do not shoot fast strings.

Also am I correct that Geissele triggers are all sold with no discount??

So only way to get reduced prices is when Midway or Brownells has a discount coupon?

Thanks

Stopsign32v
07-26-12, 21:15
I suggest to call Geissele and talk to them. They are always willing to talk, friendly, and more than helpful!

From what they suggest..For HD go with the SSA and for a more long range SSA-E

308sako
07-26-12, 22:30
11.5 SBR, Giessele SD-E, you will love the flat trigger shoe once you use one.

18" SPR, Giessele Match, very sweet and super crisp and consistent.

24" Colt Hbar Elite, Jewell match (also a toss up to the Giessele match) but I have had it for over 15 years.

A person in my opinion cannot shoot his or her best with a heavy trigger pull. Consistent break and realistic weight of pull will greatly improve your groups.

wetidlerjr
07-26-12, 22:48
I have Geissele SSAs on both of my ARs and I have ordered a third SSA for my new lower. I'm not an SME but I don't think you can get better than a Geissele.

Hop
07-26-12, 23:32
I'm not sure where you live but PK Firearms shows up at Indy1500 gun shows all the time. They must have brought 8 different Geissele sample triggers with them the last time. I actually liked the HS-DMR the best followed by the SSA, SDC & HSS over some of the lighter match triggers. The 3G triggers were pretty interesting though.

Take a look at their trigger summary then hit up a large local gun show. Maybe someone will have sample triggers.

http://geissele.com/pdfs/TriggerSummarySheet.pdf

SomeOtherGuy
07-26-12, 23:36
On the triggers: all the Geissele combat triggers are great, and the SD-E (which I own one of) is absolutely outstanding. Possibly my favorite trigger of anything, including the SD3 (which I also use).

A two stage trigger is different from single stage, of course. Many people like them for semiprecision, but true precision rifles more often have fine single stage triggers. YMMV, etc.

I have to note, however:

My AR now is a New Frontier lower with an ALG Defense ACT trigger, single stage about 5.5 pounds break. Using a Mako recoil reducing stock, Spikes tactical T2 buffer, Sprinco "blue" action spring.

Upper is a Superior Barrels Lilja Patrolman 17 inch carbine gas system with Clark Custom carbon fiber handguard. I have shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards of .375 and a 5 shot 0.75 inches. I am NOT a good rifle shot, that was my first sub MOA group ever.

You have a very odd AR setup there - an upper that I'm guessing cost $700+ on a lower that sells for $109 complete with LPK and stock installed... a nice way of saying I am very skeptical of the quality of the lower. It would just seem weird to put a $230 trigger into a $30 lower (my estimate of what the lower itself would cost if sold stripped). Also skeptical that the Mako stock is a good fit - if your barrel and upper is capable of sub-MOA, the stock and flexi lower might be holding you back. Yes, I know the lower is not stressed by firing, but too much flexibility may affect your aiming.

Anyway, if it were me I would be looking at a conventional forged lower with better quality parts and a fixed or otherwise very rigid stock (like a Magpul UBR) before I would be spending $230 on a trigger. The SD-E is in a different class from the ACT, but the ACT is still pretty decent and probably not your biggest limiting factor at this point.

Wiggity
07-26-12, 23:37
The SD3G is my favorite trigger in the entire world. Buttery smooth, crisp, short sweet reset, and fast as hell.

thecolter
07-27-12, 09:31
I'm running the SSA-E on my 16" Carbine. It has a nice, smooth and predictable 1st stage and a crisp break. Reset is good and very tactile. It's on the lighter side at 3.5lbs total, but I honestly don't think it's too light for the rifle's purpose. I also have no problem with fast, accurate strings. While not a SD3G, it's plenty fast for me and gives me better control for longer shots.

Cesiumsponge
07-27-12, 11:42
I have the SSA and National Match DMR. The DMR is more crisp with minimum creep but the SSA still feels fantastic and doesn't have the adjustments. Some argue for adjustments so you can tweak to taste; others feel less parts equal less vectors of malfunction. Really, the creep and crispness is excellent for a semi-auto trigger and felt better than the Timney and Jewells I've tried out on other rigs but I've been spoiled by my Sako TRG trigger (best two-stage trigger pull in the world IMO)

All of the Geissele products are known for reliability so try finding a vendor or friend locally. Geissele dealers will have dummy lowers with sample triggers to test out. That's the only objective way to determine what you want.

Tootsies
07-27-12, 11:46
I have the 3 gun and I love it, I'll be buying another one soon.

MistWolf
07-27-12, 12:44
...My AR now is a New Frontier lower with an ALG Defense ACT trigger, single stage about 5.5 pounds break...

The ALG triggers are stock triggers using Geisselle technology. You already have a Geisselle trigger

...A person in my opinion cannot shot his or her best with a heavy trigger pull. Consistent break and realistic weight of pull will greatly improve your groups.

A heavy trigger can be very consistent and crisp. In fact, it's often easier to achieve consistency and crispness with a trigger set to break at 5 lbs than it is when the trigger is set to break at just a few ounces.

Even so, from all reports, the break of the ALG is, if I recall, about 6.5 lbs, a little on the heavy side for precision shooting but not a real handicap especially when brasse can get sub-moa groups with it. The ALG trigger is working.

brasse, take the trigger group out of the lower and apply grease to all the sears and the pins. This will improve the feel and consistency of an already good trigger and save you $230. If you're getting the type of groups you reported, that's real good shooting. Swapping out the trigger isn't going to make them any smaller than that. Keep shooting the rifle with the trigger you have until your skills improve to the point you know whether or not the trigger is limiting you

Burnit7
07-27-12, 13:39
If you're strongly considering the SSA, I'd totally jump on the fact that PSA is having a sale on them for 149.00 just for today for their daily deal.

SSA Trigger (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/enhanced-triggers/geissele-super-semi-automatic-trigger.html?utm_source=Geissele+SSA&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email)

TehLlama
07-27-12, 16:30
SSA, for the money, unless your next lower is a G&R, in which case the G2S.

I've picked up half a dozen SSA's for an average of $150 used, and been extremely happy with them. My one SSA-E is very nice, feel s really close, just lighter. I'm torn between leaving it on my Mk12 or moving it to my .308 rifle.

Fiiyablade
07-27-12, 19:46
super dynamic 3 gun is what i have and it works great

clmarshall21
07-27-12, 23:05
I suggest to call Geissele and talk to them. They are always willing to talk, friendly, and more than helpful!

Take this advice. Bill and the guys at Geissele Automatics are awesome and they will lead you in the right direction if you tell them your goal. FWIW, I have the SSA-E in my precision set up and it has been the perfect trigger group for the job.

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 00:25
So, are you just trying to punch paper and with small groups? I am still unsure of your goals.

I have 4 SSA, 1 SSA-E, 1 S3G, 1 SD-C. The jury is still out on all of them except the SSA which I think is the do-it-all great trigger. They are all OUTSTANDING triggers and I would only put a Geissele in my rifles.

I know of one of the top 3 Gunners in the country that can use what ever he wants and has tested every Geissele trigger and still prefers the High Speed National Match-DMR.

My interpretation on these triggers and as always YMMV and you get what you pay for :p this is just me and "my" opinion.

SSA is an all around solid combat do it all well 2 stage trigger. Breaks like carrot - noticeable tension, noticeable break

SSA-E is the SSA with a bit lighter and a bit more crisp trigger pull that needs a very well trained/disciplined shooter for use under combat stress. Breaks like icesickle/candycaine short sharp tension and a sudden snap

S3G is hard to describe as it does not "break" it is a "rolling break" there is "to me" no noticeable tension/shelf, but it feels more like the trigger is being pulled thru thickened heavy air or thru a soft brush and then bang. Its fast. Is it faster that any other trigger? Don't know yet but I'm working on it:p

SD series are the same as its complementary trigger designate, but with a different trigger face (flat) and it creates a longer reach for your trigger finger (which I LOVE) as it sits further forward, not sure if this is solely from the trigger shape or a combination of shape, angle and position. I measured the distance between curved and flat triggers using very IMPRECISE methods:eek: and the distance from the back of a:

BCM Mod 1 grip to face of curved Geissele SSA-E is 2 1/2"
BCM Mod 1 grip to face of flat Geissele SD-C is 2 3/4"

So, far I really like the extra length which gets my trigger finger more straight and the pad of first digit more consistent on the trigger face (for me)... FYI I also have medium hands.

The DMR I believe is suppose to be the ultimate precision beast and some are adjustable and some are not, but have never done anything but dryfire one.

I will always have some SSA triggers in guns and as my bullet proof backup triggers. I am really hoping the Dynamic series with the longer reach between web of hand to face of trigger (LOP would be incorrect term) will be the Bee's Knee's for me but will have to get used to the flat trigger which (for me) is a bit scary... scary how you say?

When you press the trigger for your preset you feel the curved trigger kind of lock you into place and you do not have this psychologically tactile comfort factor with the flat trigger... when you start with it (for me:confused:) my finger feels nekid and nervous not knowing if it is in the right place or am I going to slide around, etc. it lacks a tactile witness mark to say you are in the right place and from what I understand that is actually the purpose as it now does not matter, but it will take time for me to develop confidence that my shot will be OK;)

I would be happy with any of them as they are that great!

Good Luck!

BufordTJustice
07-28-12, 03:10
I run an SD-C. Feels like I'm clicking a mouse. :cool:

Another bit about the SD series. The trigger bow has also been moved slightly further forward of the sear-disconnect line, meaning you will have more leverage and less perceived trigger pull weight even though the forces required to overcome the sear-break remain the same. It's all gravy when you go Super Dynamic.

MistWolf
07-28-12, 23:46
If you're strongly considering the SSA, I'd totally jump on the fact that PSA is having a sale on them for 149.00 just for today for their daily deal.

SSA Trigger (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/enhanced-triggers/geissele-super-semi-automatic-trigger.html?utm_source=Geissele+SSA&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email)

Thanks for the tip!

I pulled the trigger on this deal and am now waiting for it to arrive

brasse
07-29-12, 14:33
Darn, I missed out on the PSA sale. They do have the SSA-E for $199 which seems lower than most web sites.

To further clarify, most of my shooting is not with my $99 complete New Frontier polymer lower. I use it with my 6.8 upper.

My lower is using a forged mil spec New Frontier lower reciever, with the Spikes tactical tungsten buffer and the Sprinco "Blue" spring. Both the 6.8 and 5.56 shells come out at 3 o'clock to 3:30. The 6.8 land one foot in front and the 223/5.56 land further out and behind the ejection port.

Since I build my lowers I fit every part (and polish), use the best moly grease with gun oil mix and work the mixture in until I feel the lowest trigger break and the least grit.

I shoot with the handguard on a range supplied plastic rest. I see some people with a complete "lead sled" type shooting rests, but that's a big crutch. All my groups would be great then.

As it is the 223 wylde does consistant 1.5 inch groups with the Black Hills 68/69 and 77 grain HPBT rounds. Can't seem to get them tighter. I think it is my shooting and not the upper. Could be the trigger and that is why I think a Giessele would help with consistancy.

With the 52 grain Match I shoot 1.1-1.2 inch groups (5 shots)

The 55 grain works best, more than once now I have shot inside an inch for the first 3-4 shots, then get one outlier. The wind is always kicking up here in Las Vegas.

I have shot a lot of Hornady from 40 grains to 77, right now shooting a lot of their steel match 55 grain. Under $17 for 50 rounds.
My 9 year old grandson is shooting the AR now with me.

I down loaded the Giessele trigger application guide, that is what triggered this thread, they listed 7 of their 10 triggers as "competition." I am too old and slow to do 3 Gun, and my shoulder can't take the pounding any more. Used to be pretty good with a 12 gauge and with a 1911 in 45 ACP. I can shoot maybe 20 shots of each, then won't be able to shoot or sleep on that shoulder for several days. Sucks to get old.

But with my 1911 in 38 super, or the AR with the Mako recoild reducing stock, I shoot at least 150 rounds with each gun each trip to the range. Lately been able to get to the range 2-3 times a week with the grandson.

Looks like the SSA-E covers what I "think" I need.

Glock30
11-02-13, 09:35
So, are you just trying to punch paper and with small groups? I am still unsure of your goals.

I have 4 SSA, 1 SSA-E, 1 S3G, 1 SD-C. The jury is still out on all of them except the SSA which I think is the do-it-all great trigger. They are all OUTSTANDING triggers and I would only put a Geissele in my rifles.

I know of one of the top 3 Gunners in the country that can use what ever he wants and has tested every Geissele trigger and still prefers the High Speed National Match-DMR.

My interpretation on these triggers and as always YMMV and you get what you pay for :p this is just me and "my" opinion.

SSA is an all around solid combat do it all well 2 stage trigger. Breaks like carrot - noticeable tension, noticeable break

SSA-E is the SSA with a bit lighter and a bit more crisp trigger pull that needs a very well trained/disciplined shooter for use under combat stress. Breaks like icesickle/candycaine short sharp tension and a sudden snap

S3G is hard to describe as it does not "break" it is a "rolling break" there is "to me" no noticeable tension/shelf, but it feels more like the trigger is being pulled thru thickened heavy air or thru a soft brush and then bang. Its fast. Is it faster that any other trigger? Don't know yet but I'm working on it:p

SD series are the same as its complementary trigger designate, but with a different trigger face (flat) and it creates a longer reach for your trigger finger (which I LOVE) as it sits further forward, not sure if this is solely from the trigger shape or a combination of shape, angle and position. I measured the distance between curved and flat triggers using very IMPRECISE methods:eek: and the distance from the back of a:
BCM Mod 1 grip to face of curved Geissele SSA-E is 2 1/2"
BCM Mod 1 grip to face of flat Geissele SD-C is 2 3/4"

So, far I really like the extra length which gets my trigger finger more straight and the pad of first digit more consistent on the trigger face (for me)... FYI I also have medium hands.

The DMR I believe is suppose to be the ultimate precision beast and some are adjustable and some are not, but have never done anything but dryfire one.

I will always have some SSA triggers in guns and as my bullet proof backup triggers. I am really hoping the Dynamic series with the longer reach between web of hand to face of trigger (LOP would be incorrect term) will be the Bee's Knee's for me but will have to get used to the flat trigger which (for me) is a bit scary... scary how you say?

When you press the trigger for your preset you feel the curved trigger kind of lock you into place and you do not have this psychologically tactile comfort factor with the flat trigger... when you start with it (for me:confused:) my finger feels nekid and nervous not knowing if it is in the right place or am I going to slide around, etc. it lacks a tactile witness mark to say you are in the right place and from what I understand that is actually the purpose as it now does not matter, but it will take time for me to develop confidence that my shot will be OK;)

I would be happy with any of them as they are that great!

Good Luck!

thank you. I'm debating between the S3G & SSA. A local AR boutique has them all in stock

sugerwater
11-02-13, 16:28

From what they suggest..For HD go with the SSA and for a more long range SSA-E

+1 SSA-E

F-Trooper05
11-02-13, 17:18
thank you. I'm debating between the S3G & SSA. A local AR boutique has them all in stock

If it's a serious use gun stay away from the 3G triggers. I used one at a RB1 course and it was a terrible idea. I had at least two bump fires that I can remember. Even the SD-E is too light IMO. The SD-C is about as light as I'm personally comfortable with.

Sparky5019
11-02-13, 17:25
I like the S3G...but I shoot fast. I have felt the SSA, it's a nice trigger; I just wanted something lighter.

bzdog
11-02-13, 22:59
FWIW, hear about the differences from the man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

-john

Toddler
11-02-13, 23:13
I personally run SD3G triggers. But if your not interested in speed I would go with the G2S, it's the same as a SSA but cheaper. But you may want to check out the SD line, I thought they were a gimmick till I shot my buddy's rifle. After that I absolutely love Geisslee's SD line. If your not interested in speed the SDE is probably my favorite trigger.

fourXfour
11-03-13, 01:09
I have had a ACT, G2S, SSA and SDC. Hands down the SDC is my favorite.

Mr.Peacewalker
05-12-14, 23:51
A Little off subject here but Bill Geissele in one of his Youtube videos refers to a trigger that USSOCOM was using that had a negligent discharge while in a tank or apc. I was curious if anyone knew what trigger it was that caused that to occur. I had heard rumors that it was a Knights Armament trigger they were using at the time. Any truth to this?

HD1911
05-13-14, 01:56
SSA/Super Tricon for Non-Precision Work. SSA-E for Precision Work.

Onyx Z
05-13-14, 09:14
A Little off subject here but Bill Geissele in one of his Youtube videos refers to a trigger that USSOCOM was using that had a negligent discharge while in a tank or apc. I was curious if anyone knew what trigger it was that caused that to occur. I had heard rumors that it was a Knights Armament trigger they were using at the time. Any truth to this?

From my understanding, it was a KAC 2-stage trigger that you are referring to.

Mr.Peacewalker
05-13-14, 19:13
From my understanding, it was a KAC 2-stage trigger that you are referring to.

Thank you man, that's what I heard but wasn't really sure. Guess the rumors are true...

Dist. Expert 26
05-13-14, 20:14
I absolutely LOVE my SD-C. The break is extremely clean and predictable, there's almost no over travel and the reset is totally solid. The difference between this and the stock trigger is night and day, and I noticed a marked improvement in my speed immediately. I grew up shooting smallbore competition, so going back to a flat trigger blade felt like home to me, and the extra length makes finger placement more natural for my 2XL hands.

rojocorsa
10-14-14, 00:50
I can't decide or seem to find any SD-Es. My fall back is naturally the SSA-E.

Does the flatness really make that much of a difference? I've never tried one personally, but it looks very intriguing.

GH41
10-14-14, 06:19
"Does the flatness really make that much of a difference"

More preference than difference.

brianc142
10-14-14, 07:01

Does the flatness really make that much of a difference? I've never tried one personally, but it looks very intriguing.
I prefer the SSA or SSA-E generally but the SD-E is nice for precision or recce type guns. I no longer own a SD-E but the one I had did feel lighter than my SSA-E due to the flatness.

steyrman13
10-14-14, 10:30

The flat blade allows you to get a better finger purchase on any part of the blade rather than it having a curve to "fall in the center" also giving more leverage at the end of the trigger making it feel lighter

GunBugBit
10-14-14, 12:00

"Does the flatness really make that much of a difference"

More preference than difference.
Yeah, it's mainly a feel thing. Can get a lighter pull since it's easier to press the flat SD-E at the very bottom -- easy to get more leverage in other words. And the flatness simply feels different. I like the SD-E just a hair better than the SSA-E.

ar2mp5
10-16-14, 01:03
I run the ssa-e and absolutely love it. One of my buddies uses the equivalent but with the flat trigger he loves it but me, not so much.