PDA

View Full Version : In an upscale Portland restaurant listening to next table talk gun control

JoshNC
07-26-12, 22:00
So the table next to me is talking about the CO theater shooting. Much liberal talk is being thrown around, such as "why would anyone need a semiautomatic assault rifle? There is no need for those, you can't hunt with them", "guns are just too accessible here in the US", "it will be interesting to see if the families of the victims sue the gun manufacturers", "I mean assault rifles are not like my little 38, there is NO need for those" and other such nonsense.

Our country is doomed with people like this as part of the mainstream.

Belmont31R
07-26-12, 23:30
Should have spoke up and asked how the Norway shooter managed to kill so many in a country with far more extreme gun control than the US has or how a dude in Liege, Belgium, got a hole of hand grenades and started throwing them into a town square. Ask how in the ultimate nanny state of of the UK how they managed to kill over 50 and wound over 700 in the subway/bus attacks in 2005.

SteyrAUG
07-27-12, 02:19
Should have spoke up and asked how the Norway shooter managed to kill so many in a country with far more extreme gun control than the US has or how a dude in Liege, Belgium, got a hole of hand grenades and started throwing them into a town square. Ask how in the ultimate nanny state of of the UK how they managed to kill over 50 and wound over 700 in the subway/bus attacks in 2005.

Facts < Stupidity

You can never win.

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-12, 03:09
Yeah I bet those same f$%& sticks didn't cry out for a ban on box cutters after 911. :rolleyes:

"You can't fix stupid".

MistWolf
07-27-12, 03:41
It's so bad in the UK, you have to be at least 18 to buy flatware and kitchen knives have to have a rounded tip. In fact, flatware is kept in a separate of the store as dangerous items and children are not allowed in that section

jaxman7
07-27-12, 04:59
It's so bad in the UK, you have to be at least 18 to buy flatware and kitchen knives have to have a rounded tip. In fact, flatware is kept in a separate of the store as dangerous items and children are not allowed in that section

Wow...Churchill and Thatcher must be turning in their graves. That's just a shame what's happened to the U.K.

-Jax

ETA: I hereby nominate Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson for Prime Minister. The guy loves fast cars, loves guns and hates anything 'green'.

Palmguy
07-27-12, 06:29
So the table next to me is talking about the CO theater shooting. Much liberal talk is being thrown around, such as "why would anyone need a semiautomatic assault rifle? There is no need for those, you can't hunt with them", "guns are just too accessible here in the US", "it will be interesting to see if the families of the victims sue the gun manufacturers", "I mean assault rifles are not like my little 38, there is NO need for those" and other such nonsense.

My condolences for having to be in Portland. I guess I have somewhat of a counterpoint...a few days ago I sat down at the bar in a BBQ joint in Niceville, FL waiting on a to go food order and when I sat down, there were a half dozen guys at the bar that were also discussing the shooting, however the discussion was about 180 degrees out from the one you got to overhear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Icculus
07-27-12, 12:15

I would love to think that your are kidding and exaggerating to prove a point but unfortunately I'm sure you telling the truth. What a screwed up country.

Titleist
07-27-12, 12:36
My condolences for having to be in Portland.

Go pound sand, dude. Don't generalize a city based on a lunatic fringe.

I've met liberals in every city, and I travel for work a lot. I've seen more gun owning folks who have a BALANCED opinion on firearms in Portland than anyone else. There's folks who own full auto SBRs who live in the most affluent areas of downtown Portland, and then there's liberal nutbags out in the sticks.

feedramp
07-27-12, 12:38

Titleist
07-27-12, 12:45
Yeah but if you're honest, you'll admit Oregon (and to some degree Washington state as well) are known for their ecomaniacs and lefties.

I'm a centrist, recycling, 2nd amendment supporting, gay marriage supporting, person who believes in not letting how others live their lives affect me.

Any place you go you'll find some group of folks you don't necessarily see yourself agreeing with. You get out what you put in. I never found Portlandia (the show) funny because that's not the experience I see when I walk around this city. To me labeling oregon as a state of lefties and ecomanics would be the same as saying Ohio is nothing but cow-tipping hicks and fat people, neither of which I actually experienced when I lived there for 4 years. Oregon is actually at a tipping point politically where it's not so clear cut of a blue-state. Portland is a weird mixing pot, one that if you want to find stereotypes on both sides, you can certainly do so. Just like any city/state.

There are ass-tools everywhere if you go and seek them out, regardless of where you live.

GlockWRX
07-27-12, 12:57
WA and OR do have left of center politics for the most part. And Portland and Seattle also have some serious eye-rolling left wing policies and personalities, but for the most part that is concentrated in the cities. On balance they are more centrist than people realize. OR allows nearly all kinds of NFA items, and WA has a simple CCW permitting system, and just recently allowed use of suppressors (which passed a Dem legislature and was signed by a Dem Gov; a similar SBS and SBR bill has been introduced and sponsored by several Dems). And if you go to the Regional Training Forum, the Pacific Northwest has more threads and posts than just about any other region. We have a pretty vibrant shooting community around here, despite being blue states.

SteyrAUG
07-27-12, 13:00

And to think, when I was 15 I used to carry a Jody Samson PCC balisong all the time.

LHS
07-27-12, 13:28
And to think, when I was 15 I used to carry a Jody Samson PCC balisong all the time.

I had a factory 2nd Benchmade balisong when I was 15, carried it everywhere. I loved it for a rafting knife because it was stainless and easy to clean after I got out of the river. I still have that knife.

scottryan
07-27-12, 14:33
Go pound sand, dude. Don't generalize a city based on a lunatic fringe.

Portland is a hotbed of liberalism.

Oregon has been a blue state for the past several elections.

NWPilgrim
07-27-12, 14:59
Misposted

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-12, 15:07

I'll re-post this in this thread:

". . .and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks. . ."

In the UK they go has far as Knife Surrender Bins (http://content.met.police.uk/News/Knife-Surrender-Bin-makes-sharp-point/1300000724343/1257246745756)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/knife_surrender_bin_london_united_kingdom_10-16-2006.jpg

Pay attention to the wording. . .

Although many were kitchen knives there were some far more sinister ones including flick knives, butterfly knives and combat knives.

"Get a life. Bin that knife". "Don't waste a life, bin that knife". "Surrender", "sinister", . . .

:rolleyes:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/MeatsheepintruckSM.jpg

Redmanfms
07-27-12, 15:16
Wow...Churchill and Thatcher must be turning in their graves. That's just a shame what's happened to the U.K.

-Jax

ETA: I hereby nominate Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson for Prime Minister. The guy loves fast cars, loves guns and hates anything 'green'.

The Iron Lady is alive and kickin'

Jeremy Clarkson is hardly pro-gun. You need to watch Top Gear some more.

Cesiumsponge
07-28-12, 17:30
Living in western Washington, I deal with the same types of far left liberals, but we actually have a population of gun-owning moderate liberals which are overshadowed by some of the kooks.

Why isn't anyone talking about bomb control and how Holmes managed to legally buy deadly materials to construct booby traps and explosives? No one needs explosives to hunt deer.

feedramp
07-28-12, 20:32
I'm a centrist, recycling, 2nd amendment supporting, gay marriage supporting, person who believes in not letting how others live their lives affect me.
I didn't say you, I said what Oregon is known for.

Heavy Metal
07-28-12, 20:56

If this is what being doomed looks like, bring me more doom.

From Gallup:

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/ylqmvpzqn0muer-v0mqgkq.gif

Sensei
07-28-12, 22:20

Very interesting indeed. It looks like the real change in opinion came right as the economy was starting to fall off the cliff. I can't imagine that was a coincidence.

Magic_Salad0892
07-28-12, 23:25

Any place you go you'll find some group of folks you don't necessarily see yourself agreeing with. You get out what you put in. I never found Portlandia (the show) funny because that's not the experience I see when I walk around this city. To me labeling oregon as a state of lefties and ecomanics would be the same as saying Ohio is nothing but cow-tipping hicks and fat people, neither of which I actually experienced when I lived there for 4 years. Oregon is actually at a tipping point politically where it's not so clear cut of a blue-state. Portland is a weird mixing pot, one that if you want to find stereotypes on both sides, you can certainly do so. Just like any city/state.

There are ass-tools everywhere if you go and seek them out, regardless of where you live.

I couldn't have said it better. :dirol:

I'd argue that lots of cool stuff has come out of Ohio. Like Marilyn Manson.

Belmont31R
07-29-12, 00:08
Almost every big city is "liberal". Look at national maps of presidential elections. There are states where almost every county is "red" except for the big city counties. Just the way shit is.

FWIW it was a helluva lot easier to get a CHL in "liberal" WA than it is in "conservative" TX.

hunt_ak
07-29-12, 10:48
Fighting an emotional battle with facts is an uphill battle...

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-29-12, 17:01

From Gallup:

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/ylqmvpzqn0muer-v0mqgkq.gif

Drop the polarizing "assault weapons" and see what you get. Or taking it the other way "Do you support banning all guns." I bet it is even bigger than 10 points. In a liberal school where my son goes, a quarter of the dads have ARs- and that's only with people that I know about from casual conversation.

That question is like asking "Do you support gay marriage and making kids learn about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered lifestyles in school." Or you can ask "Should we be able to marry who we want?". Either way can seems to be used to show support for gay marriage.

Polling questions are always more interesting than the answers.

Spurholder
07-30-12, 09:44
Drop the polarizing "assault weapons" and see what you get. Or taking it the other way "Do you support banning all guns." I bet it is even bigger than 10 points. In a liberal school where my son goes, a quarter of the dads have ARs- and that's only with people that I know about from casual conversation.

Polling questions are always more interesting than the answers.

How about a 41% "for more measures" from a recent Rasmussen poll?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/41_say_u_s_needs_stricter_gun_laws

And I thought this was fairly interesting, too:

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that just nine percent (9%) of American Adults believe public places can be made completely safe against violence like the incident in Colorado. Seventy-nine percent (79%) disagree and say they cannot be made safer.

One thing I like about Rasmussen, you can also see the questions asked.

Skyyr
07-30-12, 13:11

I had a factory 2nd Benchmade balisong when I was 15, carried it everywhere. I loved it for a rafting knife because it was stainless and easy to clean after I got out of the river. I still have that knife.

I got arrested when I was 16 for carrying a Benchmade 970 CQC in conjunction with being out past curfrew (I had just moved to the area and had never heard of curfew). Police officer was cool, knew I hadn't gotten into trouble before, so he drove me home and turned the knife in to my dad, who gave it back to me. I still carry it today, 12 years later.

Heavy Metal
07-30-12, 13:30
How about a 41% "for more measures" from a recent Rasmussen poll?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/41_say_u_s_needs_stricter_gun_laws

And I thought this was fairly interesting, too:

One thing I like about Rasmussen, you can also see the questions asked.

Amazing that in the aftermath and media coverage, no doubt including a temporary bump of support, there is still 59% opposition to new gun laws.

SHIVAN
07-30-12, 13:39
There will always be stupid, right up until they start trying to "ban" stuff they see as a "right":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180635/Mayor-Bloomberg-bans-baby-formula-NY-hospitals.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

If they attempted to ban the Prius, due to dangerous cycles, and the harm they might cause to landfills, there would be hell to pay. Count on it.

"I have a RIGHT to my Prius."

Yet, when tangible rights, outlined by our Constitution, are under attack there is no outcry because some people think it's uncool or dangerous.

The real danger is that the government is being allowed to decide about formula, 16oz+ sodas, sugar content, etc.

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 15:03
The real danger is that the government is being allowed to decide about formula, 16oz+ sodas, sugar content, etc.

We haven't even delved into the shitpile that is the diet they serve in the school system.

Or saturated fats, or high fructose corn syrup, or the tumor causeing aspertame.