PDA

View Full Version : Which 14.5" AR? Noveske LoPro vs S&W M&P 15 TS

LoneStarM1A
07-27-12, 11:08
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first AR. I have narrowed it down to these two.

Either the Noveske 14.5" Lo-Pro upper (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcmlp-556&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) (w/ an affordable non-noveske lower)

Or

The S&W M&P 15 TS (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766300_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

Noveske Pros:

Better Barrel (4150 vs 4140 on the S&W)
Noveske Name
Get to pick/choose my own lower
Mid Length gas system (although not sure what the S&W really has?)

S&W Pros:

1 pound lighter
A few hundred dollars cheaper
Don't have to bother building a lower
Vortex Flash Suppressor which I prefer to the AAC

May I please have your opinions on which you think is the better buy and why?

Thanks in advance.

PS I do have an NFA trust setup but want a 14.5" AR without waiting 8 months.

saddlerocker
07-27-12, 11:19
The Noveske is much better, there is no question.
But it will cost more by the time you build the lower.

While S&W is arguably the best of the commercial AR's, your on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

Why not go with a BCM upper with rail installed, and build a lower.
Would be better than the Smith and less expensive than the Noveske.

Cesiumsponge
07-27-12, 11:20
Noveske occasionally has cosmetic blemished lowers for sale, last time I checked. You can build a complete rifle with some timing and luck. I'm not sure where the extra pound is distributed but going with their light barrel offering shaves off the front-heavy feel. Weight and weight distribution will make a difference with extended use but I have no idea what role your rifle will fulfill.

LoneStarM1A
07-27-12, 11:39
Purpose for the rifle will be IDPS/IPSC style shooting sports, defensive, and short range (<200 yards) pest control. Also considering the purchase of an NFA M16 so the upper might see use mated with a Colt full auto lower at some point.

LoneStarM1A
07-31-12, 18:55
ok, I bought a Noveske light carbine lo-pro upper today.

2 questions:

1. Do the Noveske uppers come with a Bolt Carrier group? From the picture, it looks like it does.

2. If I register the lower as a short barreled rifle, can I simply have a gunsmith remove the pinned flash suppressor and then be free to put any muzzle device I choose on it (after I receive my stamp of course)?

buckjay
07-31-12, 19:02
ok, I bought a Noveske light carbine lo-pro upper today.

2 questions:

1. Do the Noveske uppers come with a Bolt Carrier group? From the picture, it looks like it does.

2. If I register the lower as a short barreled rifle, can I simply have a gunsmith remove the pinned flash suppressor and then be free to put any muzzle device I choose on it (after I receive my stamp of course)?

Yes, and yes.

LoneStarM1A
07-31-12, 23:20
Thanks. I've decided to put it on an LRB arms lower with a colt lower parts kits, geissele super 3 gun trigger, Vltor imod stock, BCM H-Buffer and magpul miad grip.

I've always been an M14 guy but recent event have me in panic-buy mode. Hopefully this will be a good one.