PDA

View Full Version : A possible 'Aurora style shooting' thwarted in Maryland

jaxman7
07-27-12, 13:15
This is the psycho season:

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=1619106.proteus.fma

URGENT: Police Thwart Aurora-Like Threat

Jul 27, 2012 2:20 PM EDT

DEVELOPING: Authorities have arrested a Maryland man they say referred to himself as "a joker" and threatened to carry out a shooting at his workplace, Fox News has learned.

Police arrested 28-year-old Neil Prescott of Crofton, Md., after he allegedly called his employer and threatened to "shoot the place up," a source close to the investigation told Fox News.

Authorities say the suspect called himself "a joker" before his arrest Thursday. Officials say they believe the threat could have been carried out as a copycat of the shooting massacre one week ago in Aurora, Colo., in which 12 people were killed and 58 injured during a midnight viewing of the new Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

"I'm a joker. I'm going to load my guns and blow everyone up," the man told his supervisor in a phone conversation earlier this week, officials said.

During a press conference Friday afternoon, authorities referred to the case as a "thwarted terror threat."

Police said that when they took the man into custody, they found an "arsenal" of weapons inside his home.

The Associated Press reports that a search of the suspect's home turned up more than 20 guns, including assault rifles and handguns, and more than 400 rounds of ammunition.

The man was about to get fired from his job at Pitney Bowes, a software and mailroom supplier in Prince George's County, authorities said. He was arrested at his home in Crofton, Md., Thursday night.

A source told Fox News that Prescott is "emotionally disturbed." He was being held Friday at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, where he was undergoing a psychological evaluation. Crofton is located between Washington, D.C., and Annapolis, Md.

LHS
07-27-12, 13:19
Every time the media sensationalizes one of these psychos, it just prompts the other borderline nuts to copy them. Oh, and I suppose Maryland's strict gun laws really helped prevent this...

SHIVAN
07-27-12, 13:21
A source told Fox News that Prescott is "emotionally disturbed." He was being held Friday at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, where he was undergoing a psychological evaluation. Crofton is located between Washington, D.C., and Annapolis, Md.

Still not a gun issue, the guns are just the tool. If they had barred him from gun ownership, he would have burned the Pitney Bowes facility to the ground, or run his car through a crowd of departing employees. Or taken a letter opener and stabbed forty people, or whatever.

Also, not quite Aurora, because these people could have been antagonists in this man's life, whereas Aurora was a group of innocents being attacked.

jaxman7
07-27-12, 13:26
Still not a gun issue, the guns are just the tool. If they had barred him from gun ownership, he would have burned the Pitney Bowes facility to the ground, or run his car through a crowd of departing employees. Or taken a letter opener and stabbed forty people, or whatever.

Also, not quite Aurora, because these people could have been antagonists in this man's life, whereas Aurora was a group of innocents being attacked.

Shivan,

Whats ironic is that while in the truck listening to the radio it was reported that he had a T-shirt on with the slogan "Guns don't kill people, I do" when he was arrested.

-Jax

Smuckatelli
07-27-12, 14:51
This is a very dangerous event for gun owners.

Has he lost his mind? Maybe.

He has been arrested and his gun collection is on display.

Could it be a negative watershed event for us?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-27-12, 18:14
Pitney Bowes. That makes him essentially a mail man. Makes sense....

feedramp
07-27-12, 18:33
That's not very much ammunition.

jaxman7
07-27-12, 18:37
That's not very much ammunition.

My thoughts exactly. To us no. To the media its enough to invade France with.

-Jax

SHIVAN
07-27-12, 18:48
To the media its enough to invade France with.

Hilary just had to refuse their surrender over this comment. Everyone should be more careful when referencing France going forward.

Thanks.

:jester:

davidjinks
07-27-12, 19:07
I've been in MD all day today, okay actually for the past 2 years, and I caught every update to this case.

I'll say this...the media can eat shit!

Now on to the reports:

20 guns and 400 rounds of ammo
25 guns and several thousand rounds of ammo
4 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo
Dozens of guns and several thousand rounds of ammo
15 guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo
An arsenal of weapons and assualt rifles (Military grade) and an untold number (numbering in the thousands) of rounds of ammunition

Last police report at 1645 was:

25 guns and several thousand rounds of ammunition

I stopped listening after that. The reports were updated every 30 minutes or so today since breaking news.

These reports came from Fox News station BTW. That's what really tweaked me.

jaxman7
07-27-12, 19:16
Hilary just had to refuse their surrender over this comment. Everyone should be more careful when referencing France going forward.

Thanks.

:jester::

SACREBLEAU!!!!!! ;)

The absolute funniest reference to the French and their inclination towards defeat in combat:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/french-military-victories.png

jaxman7
07-27-12, 19:23
An arsenal of weapons and assualt rifles (Military grade)

I would just foam at the mouth with excitement if I ever got the chance to ask someone in the main stream media the definition of military grade. What's the line of separation between a military grade rifle and Bubba's deer gun? Good Lord thats annoying.

-Jax

davidjinks
07-27-12, 21:13
Try listening to that shit from 0600-1545! I threw up a few times today...

I would just foam at the mouth with excitement if I ever got the chance to ask someone in the main stream media the definition of military grade. What's the line of separation between a military grade rifle and Bubba's deer gun? Good Lord thats annoying.

-Jax

ForTehNguyen
07-27-12, 21:21
saying you were going to shoot the place up doesnt mean youre going to do it, they didnt thwart anything. Acting like they caught the guy while he was gearing up in the work parking lot with a trunk filled with guns. But they can go ahead and pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

SteyrAUG
07-27-12, 22:46
I'm not sure what it worse...another dipshit "joker" making threats to kill people or the media calling his "starter kit" gun collection and 400 rounds an "arsenal."

They have clearly never seen even a small military arsenal.

VooDoo6Actual
07-27-12, 23:01
How long until someone tries to ban Crazy ?

feedramp
07-27-12, 23:08
I'm not sure what it worse...another dipshit "joker" making threats to kill people or the media calling his "starter kit" gun collection and 400 rounds an "arsenal."

The people that would be influenced by media reports like that are the type that get offended by a stiff breeze. To them a firearm is a holocaust and a heart attack wrapped into one.

JoshNC
07-27-12, 23:34
Looking at the video of his firearms all lined up on a table , there is an Arsenal AK, SCAR17, an AR15 in Magpul furniture, among other things.

This is terrible press.

polymorpheous
07-28-12, 00:39
Looking at the video of his firearms all lined up on a table , there is an Arsenal AK, SCAR17, an AR15 in Magpul furniture, among other things.

This is terrible press.

Agreed.

The media thought police are going out of their way to demonize semi-auto rifles.
I don't like the direction the wind is blowing.

Moose-Knuckle
07-28-12, 00:49
How convenient.

zacbol
07-28-12, 00:59

This is terrible press.
That's frighteningly similar to what's in my safe. Not good.

GeorgiaBoy
07-28-12, 01:56
Is there truly any difference between what amount of ammo is "normal", is "above normal" is "a lot", is an "arsenal", is a "big arsenal"?

A 1,000 rounds is a far from an "arsenal". That would fall in the "normal" category to me. 50,000 rounds? Large arsenal.

I've never understood why round count means anything. It's not as if he could actually CARRY that many rounds. But if course, that kind of common sense does not exist in the media.

LHS
07-28-12, 02:02
Is there truly any difference between what amount of ammo is "normal", is "above normal" is "a lot", is an "arsenal", is a "big arsenal"?

A 1,000 rounds is a far from an "arsenal". That would fall in the "normal" category to me. 50,000 rounds? Large arsenal.

I've never understood why round count means anything. It's not as if he could actually CARRY that many rounds. But if course, that kind of common sense does not exist in the media.

The same goes for the hype about the number of guns he had. He's only got two hands, it's not like he can magically make 20+ firearms all go off at once.

Belmont31R
07-28-12, 02:04
This type of thing happens quite a lot...but its all over the national news because of the CO shooting. It takes a month or more for this type of thing to become back page news.

M4arc
07-28-12, 06:57

Starter kit :haha:

Exactly what I was thinking. That guy was a rookie.

Rider79
07-28-12, 07:44
20 guns but only 400 rounds of ammo?

Someone needs to get their priorities straight.

platoonDaddy
07-28-12, 07:59
This doesn't pass the smell test, I believe he did make some dumb comments. If AA Co had probable cause, they could have detained him and then secured a warrant. BUT they didn't, they left and then returned after midnight, evacuated neighbors and then entered the suspects apartment. Haven't read anything on type of entry.

He is also a member of a Md Shooters forum and someone using his ID, logged into his account yesterday afternoon. One would assume LE has his computer and checking out favorites.

Wait and see how this plays out...