PDA

View Full Version : Smallest 9mm pistol??

MiamiSniper
07-27-12, 20:59
looking for a back up piece but do not want to go the .380 way... so I'm looking to find out what's the smallest 9mm pistol out there...
Thanks in advance...

AFCATM
07-27-12, 21:26
Of what I have shot:

Smith and Wesson Shield: Very nice, accurate. BUT HARD TO FIND.

Beretta Nano: Shitty trigger. reliable, snappy, reasonable accuracy.

Kimber Solo: Very snappy recoil, decent accuracy. Jury is still out for reliability. EXPENSIVE.

Kahr PM9: Accurate, reliable, in between the shield and the solo for recoil I think but it has been out the longest of the ones in this group.

Hope this helps. Without knowing more info from you this is the best I can do. In the end I would choose from the Shield or the Kahrs.

AFCATM
07-27-12, 21:27
If they are too big I would not be hesitant of a 380 BUG. Sig 238 is nice. Kahr MP380 is too.

ddnguyen9
07-27-12, 21:36
I am only going to provide my personal insight on firearms what I own.

Glock 26 Gen4: Currently it is my off-duty firearm. Great subcompact pistol. Has a double stack magazine so it has the highest capacity (10 rounds in the standard mag without any modifications.)

Kimber Solo Carry: VERY EXPENSIVE and very unreliable. I probably shot about <250 rounds and I can't remember when I actually got through a full magazine without a a malfunction. I had A LOT double feeds and failure to ejects. I called Kimber and they replaced the slide, barrel and recoil spring free of charge. I haven't taken it out to the range to see if that fixed the problems I had.

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm : Just picked up this bad boy about 2 days ago (I was one of 25 lucky ones) and haven't been able to go to the range. But I have heard it is VERY reliable and accurate. I will update as soon as I go to the range. I an crossing my fingers that this will be as reliable as my Glock 26. I picked this because I liked the single stack mag which would make it more concealable than the Glock 26.

Of those three... the SMALLEST is the Kimber Solo Carry. But I wouldn't depend on it to save my life or my family's life due to this unreliable history. The second smallest is the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9MM. Largest is the Glock 26.

MiamiSniper
07-27-12, 21:41
I carry the Glock 36 but at times I wish to own something smaller, the G26 is actually about the same size as the G36, I'm looking for something the size of the Ruger lcp but in 9mm

gunnut284
07-27-12, 21:44
I carry a Ruger LCP as a backup because the size works for me and I'm willing to accept the drawbacks. As far as 9mm goes, the Kahr PM9 is one of the smallest and they work and shoot well. Just be sure to test it before real use (like anything else). The S&W Shield has been getting great initial reviews but is still new. Those would be the two I would look at. I wasn't impressed with the Nano or Solo and both have had reliability issues.

AFCATM
07-27-12, 21:53
Miami,

Take a glock 36 and put it next to a 26. The 36 is actually more along the size of a 19. The 26 may very well be the answer you are looking for. Another gun that is pretty small is the Sig 938 but I have not shot one yet. They are small but very new so reliability is unknown as of yet. I would second the shield if you can find one though.

YVK
07-27-12, 22:08
http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Scroll to the page 2 for 9 mm.

skyugo
07-27-12, 22:28
i just picked up a walther PPS. it's baaarely pocketable. but pocketable nonetheless.

backstrap safety (you can remove the backstrap to render the gun inoperable) is stupid with a somewhat failure prone latch. the general consensus is to pick the backstrap size you want and dont' take it off.
I drilled a hole through mine and put a stainless pin in.

other than that it's proven reliable with a variety of hollowpoints. trigger is nice. recoil is mild. it's a single stack glock basically, but slightly more.... german.

i was considering a shield but the thumb safety is a deal breaker for me.

D.O.A.F.S.
07-27-12, 22:30
I was lucky, at the rite place, at the rite time, picked up a Shield at LGS when first released. I have 1800 plus rounds through it with "ZERO" issues, very accurate and reliable. I have 4 other M&P's, the Shield by far was the best out of the box. The only changes I made were I installed an Apex Sear and Striker Block (stock trigger is good, the best out of the box, but wanted all my triggers to feel the same) Trijicon HD night sites, and stippled the frame. IMHO Smith hit a home run with this gun...

D.O.A.F.S.
07-27-12, 22:37
i was considering a shield but the thumb safety is a deal breaker for me.

When I first saw the pics of the Shield I was in agreement, I hate the thumb safety on the M&P, my other four are with out. The way the Shield safety is thou it's a none issue, hold one in your hand and you'll see what I'm talking about.

MiamiSniper
07-27-12, 22:47
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies but maybe I didn't make myself clear, the Shield is almost as big as the G26, I'm looking for something way smaller, in the size of the Ruger LCP.... just not sure if there is anything like that out there.... something like a pocket gun but in 9mm..
sorry for the confusion...

ImBroke
07-27-12, 22:52
You can't have a 9mm that small, the cartridge itself is too long and creates too much pressure. The Diamondback is close, but from what I understand, not reliable. The Kahr pm/cm9 is the closest in size.

F-Trooper05
07-28-12, 00:20
Check out the Rhorbaugh.

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 07:23
You can't have a 9mm that small, the cartridge itself is too long and creates too much pressure. The Diamondback is close, but from what I understand, not reliable. The Kahr pm/cm9 is the closest in size.

I guess I'm stock with .380...:mad:

royal
07-28-12, 07:30

Good luck with the .380, I hope it stops the threat when your life depends on it.

I'll stick with my Kahr PM9 that rides comfortably in cargo pocket or kydex clip-on.

Arik
07-28-12, 08:00
Are you just planning on throwing this in your pocket? Out of what's available the best overall will probably be the Kahr PM9 and that's already pretty small. I used to carry the Kahr CW9 and with a good belt and holster....i felt he weight of my wallet more then the CW9. How much smaller are you looking to go?:blink:

There that new Boberg or something. That's supposed to be small. And there is also the new 2shot 9mm which holds an extra round in the grip but those seem better suited for :suicide2: and not SD.

KCBRUIN
07-28-12, 08:05
I wear a G26 IWB, and carry a J frame in my pocket. It may get too hot for the G26, but I always have my J frame with me.

I'll take .357mag/.38+p over .380 all day.

Elusive
07-28-12, 08:09
Looked at the Sig P938 ? Close in size to the P238 but in a single stack 9mm

Arik
07-28-12, 08:31
I wear a G26 IWB, and carry a J frame in my pocket. It may get too hot for the G26, but I always have my J frame with me.

I know everyone is different but I gotta admit I never understood the hot weather excuse. I live near Philly in SE Pa and our summers are hot as hell and humid. Carrying a G19 never seems to make it hotter or colder or change comfort level. It feels the same as it does during fall, winter and spring

KCBRUIN
07-28-12, 08:33
It's not the temperature, it's the amount of clothes I wear in the heat, and the activities I'm doing in said hot weather.

ImBroke
07-28-12, 08:38

Why? Are you trying to carry it in a particularly small holder? The PM/CM 9 can be pocket carried. Compared to an LCP it has real sights, a better trigger and more powerful cartridge.

Kokopelli
07-28-12, 08:44
I believe this is the smallest 45ACP. They also have a 9mm version. I'd like to get my hands on one.. Ron

http://heizerfirearms.com/

CDR_Glock
07-28-12, 09:06
Smallest 9mm pistols available are the Rohrbaugh and Boberg. The Rohrbaugh is not intended to be a range gun, costs over $900 depending upon options, and the recoil spring requires a replacement at short intervals. It is loved by those who carry them. I have a hard time justifying one for the upfront and ongoing cost.

The Diamondback DB9 is thin and small; however, it is a gamble to see if you get a reliable one. I had to sell mine since it was never reliable enough.

I just acquired the Sig P938. It's longer than a Sig P238. My P238 fits the back and front pockets. My P938 fits only the front pocket. Both are Single action (8-9 lb trigger pull) and both have external safeties, inspired by a 1911. However, the safeties do not lock the slide in place; they are mechanical safeties. There is no grip safety. Out of the box, the P938 has a gritty and stiff trigger. Cleaning, oiling prior to shooting helps; however, it takes a few hundred rounds to loosen it up. Dry firing also helps. I'm only accurate out to 15/20 yards, though. Recoil is definitely manageable. Reliability-wise - never had a problem with JHPs but has had 3 FTEs in the first 120 rounds with FMJ. In a Desantis Nemesis or Uncle Mike's Pocket holster, its trigger is protected and conceals well. Cost - Street price is running from $50 under retail to full retail. Mine was a Nightmare P938 with G10 grips, all black and tritium sights - only one 6 round magazine; $699.

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 09:36
I believe this is the smallest 45ACP. They also have a 9mm version. I'd like to get my hands on one.. Ron

http://heizerfirearms.com/

that's the one, has anyone seen one in person yet??? I like the fact of keeping the .45 cal...

WillBrink
07-28-12, 09:36
looking for a back up piece but do not want to go the .380 way... so I'm looking to find out what's the smallest 9mm pistol out there...
Thanks in advance...

Obviously, smallest vs smallest that's worth actually risking your life on are two different things. I had a Kahr MK9, that was dead reliable, amazing accurate, and very small:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-MK9.asp

Not cheap, but worth the $$$. They didn't have a polymer version when I purchased, but I prefer the all steal version anyway personally. Sold the MK9, but do have a K40, which is larger (though still quite small considering it's a .40) and I can report nothing but positive experiences with that too.

Remember, friends don't let friends carry .380 :)

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 09:38
Why? Are you trying to carry it in a particularly small holder? The PM/CM 9 can be pocket carried. Compared to an LCP it has real sights, a better trigger and more powerful cartridge.

yes I want something small so I don't have to carry my G36 at all times...

opdsgt
07-28-12, 10:52
Check out the Rhorbaugh.Outstanding pistols in every way, but spendy.

I own a Kahr CM9 and am pleased as punch with it. It takes the 200 rounds recommended by Kahr to get this tight little pistol broken in and feeding reliably, but it features the best double action only trigger I've ever sampled on a stock gun and the inherent accuracy is remarkable; I was able to consistently ring 10" steel from 75 yards supported last week at the range. Amazing considering the sight radius and what this pistol is designed for.

I carry this off-duty much of the time along with a spare 7-round mag weak side in a PJ Holsters mag pouch. Very tidy, lightweight setup, but with plenty of bite if needed.

dmaxfireman
07-28-12, 10:52
How about an LC9? Too small for my taste but it is a little larger than an LCP.

Hogsgunwild
07-28-12, 12:07
Check out the Rhorbaugh.

This answer is the winner. It is a very reliable and surprisingly accurate gun. Manufacturer recommended rounds are the non-plus P Gold Dots.

Magsz
07-28-12, 12:12
This answer is the winner. It is a very reliable and surprisingly accurate gun. Manufacturer recommended rounds are the non-plus P Gold Dots.

Seems a little limiting...

I would rather have a gun that will feed, function and fire whatever round I want to put through it.

darr3239
07-28-12, 12:20
Take a look at the Keltec P11. It is a 9mm, and is a pocket carry gun. I've fired a number of different rounds through it, both high power factory and mild practice loads. It has digested everything. I carry Corbon 115 gr. full power loads in it.

Yes, the trigger isn't the best, but most really small guns aren't either. You would be carrying it for self defense, and I guarantee you won't notice the trigger if you have to use it.

The great thing about the Keltec is it's not too expensive, especially if you find one used. I paid $240 for mine.

SkiDevil
07-28-12, 12:42
I did not catch if there was a specific purpose for the micro-sized compact, but I would personally look at some of the more proven suggestions made; Glock 26, Kahr Mk9, and I would add the HKP2000SK.

Also, I would agree with what someone else stated in that the Glock 36 is very comparable in size with a G19.

I was in a similar quandary myself looking for a very compact pistol in 9mm or larger caliber and I came to the conclusion that a sub-compact was not the best choice for my needs. First, I have a large hand and have difficulty shooting the pistols with a small (Short) grip. Second, I decided that it was more important to have a pistol which I could shoot very well, reload quickly, and carry at a minimum 9-10 rounds. I am also not a fan of 'dual-captured' recoil springs in the smaller auto designs.

I ended-up selecting an HK USPC 9mm compact. It is larger [slightly shorter slide and grip than a G19] than what I initially planned but with proper attire easily concealed. It has proven reliable in firing over 500 rounds with no malfunctions, carries 14 rounds, and is extremely accurate.

The bottom-line is whether you are a CCW carrier or off-duty LE, the first priority should be the intended role of the weapon.

If I were looking for the most reliable and compact 9mm handgun then I would find a Derringer or one of the discontinued 9mm J-framed size revolvers.

Good luck in your search.
SkiDevil

P.S. If I would have to select one of the 9mm compacts known for being very reliable then it would be a toss-up between the G26 and the HKP2000SK.

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 12:57
this thing looks sweet... I need to check it out... does anyone here has any experience with one of those?

http://heizerfirearms.com/images/HeroNOBG20111226.gif

Big A
07-28-12, 17:53
I know everyone is different but I gotta admit I never understood the hot weather excuse. I live near Philly in SE Pa and our summers are hot as hell and humid. Carrying a G19 never seems to make it hotter or colder or change comfort level. It feels the same as it does during fall, winter and spring
I don't get it either. I carry my G19 the most. Its only when I have to tuck in my shirt that I pocket carry my G26 or my J-frame.

this thing looks sweet... I need to check it out... does anyone here has any experience with one of those?

http://heizerfirearms.com/images/HeroNOBG20111226.gif
So you wanna go from 7 rounds to 2?

Hogsgunwild
07-28-12, 18:32

I would rather have a gun that will feed, function and fire whatever round I want to put through it.

Yes, it is limiting except in the concealibility department. I almost bought a PM-9 after the R9 just because I like how both guns shoot but wanted another that was capable of be fired without restrictions.
The bottom line is the R9 is smaller and you have to give something up to gain that concealibility. I have found that the PM-9 is not able to replace my R9 for most of my needs. Some can get by with the PM-9 as a pocket gun. I have even pocket carried a .40 PPS before but that is not practicle on a regular basis and I have lately found that my Shield has a very viable role carried IWB for me.

I liked my R9 so much that I never carried my LCP again and it had been very reliable.

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 19:39
So you wanna go from 7 rounds to 2?

I'm looking at the size not the round count, but I'll take 2 rounds of .45 over 9mm

gtmtnbiker98
07-28-12, 21:47
Rather surprised nobody mentioned the PPS.

Magsz
07-28-12, 21:53
Rather surprised nobody mentioned the PPS.

PPS was mentioned on page 1.

The PPS offers nothing over the shield in my opinion.

DZL HOG
07-28-12, 22:11
When I first started carrying about 4 years ago, I carried my PM9 IWB, its light, small and packs a punch. Yes it will fit in my pocket but my jean pockets are way too tight to draw out in a hurry if I had too. When wearing a suit or khakis with my shirt tucked in I usually have a Jframe in my pocket. But its rare I dress like that. I live in VA and work outside year round. With 100* heat and high humidity most days I stay soaked in sweat. Even a small PM9 IWB starts to dig in my side and gets very uncomfortable. For the last couple years Ive been carrying my XD9 OWB, undershirt tucked in, over shirt un tucked year round. I was subconscious at first, knowing that everyone could see the imprint in my shirt and I would get called out. Truth is very few ppl notice.

lunchbox
07-28-12, 22:20
I'm looking at the size not the round count, but I'll take 2 rounds of .45 over 9mmhttps://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105658&highlight=9mm+45acp All about the round count...Havent you seen the Die Hard movies?

Tarheel
07-29-12, 14:14
No experience with one but the S&W 940 is a 9mm J frame. Pocket carry is like any other J but bulky moon clips would be required for reloads.

skyugo
07-29-12, 14:24

indeed. 38 throws more lead, and revos tend to have a pretty serious reliability advantage over the wee 380's that are so popular these days.

Pistol Shooter
07-29-12, 16:15

With all respect I strongly disagree. ;)

The PPS has been on the market for 5 years now and, at this point is fully vetted as a top quality, accurate, reliable pistol.

The Shield on the other hand, is brand new and will have to establish a solid track record before it can be considered seriously IMO.

Let's see how it does 5 yrs. from now. Then we can accurately compare the two pistols.

ARonBoard
07-31-12, 11:50
I had a PM9 and did not like many things about it, especially the price. The slide release is very sharp on the edges for a slide release the mags are difficult to load and the gun has its issues with reliability depending on how you chamber the round.

The gun was very accurate though. My wife had many FTFs with this pistol and thus it had to go. (This was far surpassing the 200 round break in) I will not keep anything around that both of us can not operate perfectly. I did not have feeding issues.

I picked up a shield directly after the PM9 and found it to be as accurate and reliable for both of us.

This is my full time EDC in a Glocktech MIC holster and it dissapears AIWB with ANY clothing.

gtmtnbiker98
07-31-12, 17:20

Kool Aid, much?

CLJ94104
07-31-12, 18:26
Springfield XDs if interested in larger caliber BUG? Mine has been perfect.

I know the XD line isn't popular in this forum but the several models I've had have been perfect through thousands of rounds. Some with more than 1500 a piece. I trust them with my life.

tctlrld
07-31-12, 20:31
Rohrbaughr R9 is as small as they get.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/images/product-gun-r9stealth.png

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9

skyugo
07-31-12, 20:38
Rohrbaughr R9 is as small as they get.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/images/product-gun-r9stealth.png

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9

pretty high maintenance, needs a new recoil spring every 200 rounds. expensive as well. I like my carry guns a little closer to pickup truck than ferrari.

Cazwell
07-31-12, 21:55
My wife has a PM9 and has never had any problems. We have several Kahrs now that are roughly 1500-2000 rounds plus and no issues. I do hear the odd complaint like the one above, but have never seen it. Highly accurate, ours have been reliable, and they can be concealed easily.

tctlrld
07-31-12, 22:00
pretty high maintenance, needs a new recoil spring every 200 rounds. expensive as well. I like my carry guns a little closer to pickup truck than ferrari.

Nothing I would buy either. But the OP asked for smallest.

skyugo
08-01-12, 01:25
Nothing I would buy either. But the OP asked for smallest.

true..
just wanted to make sure he got an idea of what the rohrbaugh was and was not before he got too excited about em. they are neat for sure...

Eagle00
08-01-12, 02:09
I too have a G-36, and even though its a great CCW firearm, sometimes I want / need something smaller. I also have an LC9 but was also looking for an LCP/P3AT size 9mm. I have determined the Kahr PM9 or the CM9 is as close to the LCP there is at a most reasonable price.

Check this link. Los has put together a few charts comparing the small 9mm's.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4464486

Hope this helps you.

Magsz
08-01-12, 13:09
Kool Aid, much?

How so?

Sigh...

Let me elaborate.

Cons of the PPS.

The PPS is a more expensive pistol.
The PPS has more expensive magazines.
The PPS has proprietary sights with very few aftermarket options (it could be argued that the shield is the same way but standard M&P sights DO fit the dovetails)
Subjective: European Mag release.
PPS has a backstrap system that will disable the pistol if the backstrap is removed.
Subjective: PPS has a square beavertail area. This is not comfortable to me.
No options for trigger components if you desire to modify your gun.
Subjective: More recoil/muzzle climb on the pps versus the shield
Subjective: Extensions on the PPS are even worse than on the shield. Major pinch points all around, SHARP pinch points. Reloading the gun is a bitch.
Subjective: I can get three fingers on the shield sans the magazine. I cannot do this on the PPS and give up control of the firearm when shooting with the flat, carry baseplates. I do not give up anything on the shield.
No laser options other than the crimson trace rail master and im not even sure that will fit.

Pros of the PPS:

PPS has a slightly better texture on the grip only because the shield has NO texture...way to go S&W.

To this day, the track record of the pps is still quite dubious, about as dubious as the shield despite the shield being on the market for less than four months. There are probably more shields at this point in circulation than PPS's. I have yet to see any true high round count tests on the PPS but i do not expect to. This is a carry pistol. The same can be said for the Shield although i DO feel compelled to shoot the snot out of this thing due to how robust it feels, how well it is designed and how well it is holding up.

The bottom line is that the PPS IS indeed a good pistol. I just fail to see any benefit to the platform when the shield becomes readily available. Then again, options are always nice.

Hogsgunwild
08-02-12, 01:59

I just realized that I should clarify that while the Gold Dots are recommended for the carry round, your standard ball practice ammo is fine for practice ammo. I understand that the manufacturer just doesn't want the hotter loads in this little gun to keep it from wearing out prematurely.

It is still limiting in that you don't want to run more than a few mags through the R9 in a row to avoid heating it up. I shoot a few mags and then switch guns for awhile. The fact that the R9 is not designed for +P loads doesn't bother me but may seem limiting to some.

Hogsgunwild
08-02-12, 02:19
Bummer reading the cons of the PPS. I was considering buying one in 9MM to standardize with my PPQ which I have been carrying.
My Shield is one of my favorite pistols and I like my M&Ps (have the 9MM FS accuracy issue thing going on, so, I switched to the PPQ) but I would feel better keeping a PPS in my rotation instead of the Shield presently.

I tried to rent the PPS but someone already had it out the last time I was at the range. I sold my .40 S&W PPS several years ago and remember it as having been a solid and accurate gun but my handgun
collection and skills have changed a lot since then. I really need to try one out again.

fail wagon
08-02-12, 12:00
I have an M&P9c and I'm thinking about getting rid of it to pocket carry a CM9 or PM9 now. My line of work as an aircraft mechanic doesn't make it easy to disarm and arm multiple times away with an iwb gun

FAS1
08-02-12, 12:39
http://api.ning.com/files/Fqq8zUJqSC8wKBxUfad3jWoXLcdmY2qHayNFLAhco9Jghoi8cSkWf8YQi07NEu0NeyaN9Rp1221P1DN3gI3wkDJ5cP6C95Zr/IMG_1912.JPG?width=737&height=507

Pretty small, a little expensive, excellent craftsmanship. I hope it does well and proves to be reliable. As volume goes up the price should come down a little.

http://www.bobergarms.com/notes/XR9_Shorty

Shabazz
08-12-12, 15:20
Is the Ruger LC9 proving to be reliable?

anubismp
08-13-12, 00:27
For the smallest it's probably a rorbagh or however you spell it but I have a diamondback db9 that's slim and that's the best "small" dimension. here it's is in comparison with my shield in 40 for an idea of size. It's been great for me but many limp wrist it so there's lots of bad reports.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/anubismp/photobucket-2095-1344827903424.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/anubismp/photobucket-2260-1344827940085.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/anubismp/photobucket-1764-1344827781914.jpg

Btw it will punish the hell out of your hand after about 100 rds.

lebowski
08-14-12, 09:06
I have a PM9, and I like it. It's been reliable and I shoot it reasonably well (better than my 642).

For small pocket carry where you draw the line above .380ACP, you should not rule out a 642/442 IMO.

I've considered the Rohrbaugh as well. As others have mentioned, it has some drawbacks. But most of these pocket sized guns have drawbacks (either not truly pocket sized ... and honeslty if I'm carrying IWB I find the PM9 is not all that much easier to carry than a G19, especially with the new Raven VG2 ... or they have major caliber/shootability compromises).

Radchero
10-06-12, 22:55
The Boberg is fantastic! I put myself on the waiting list September 2011 and received mine at the end of June. The build quality is fantastic, the grip is as good as any gun I've ever held, the recoil is very tame, its more accurate than I am. Arne Boberg's customer service will keep you happy.

This is not a crappy little self defense gun. This is a the first shooter's pocket pistol. It feels fantastic, I've shot as many as 200 rounds at one time, it feels like a larger gun.

The gun is expensive and worth every penny.

travistheone
10-06-12, 23:40
My Keltec pf-9 is pocketable and has proven to be very reliable with a variety of ammunition. Made in the USA and affordable.

packinaglock
10-07-12, 06:54

Agreed, I live in Florida and carry a G19 all year round. I do have a PM9 and it has been very reliable even through the 200 round break in period. I'm just more comfortable with the round count of the G19.

fowler
10-07-12, 07:16
When it has to run 100% ,shoot +P ,+P+ and hold up to 400,000 plus rds and hold 11 rds. its the G26. The Gold standard in sub-compact 9mm"s in double stack. In single stack the Berretta Nano can handle +p and +P+ with great accuracy and low recoil for fast repeat shot's. The Nano is made to hold up and run 100%. It's a single stack with 7 shot magazine. I have been using a G26 for near 2 decades 24/7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvMJcmpVsQ

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-07-12, 08:15
No doubt the G26 is the Gold Standard if durability is everything.

The Kahr PM9 is my favorite autoloader when concealibility/ comfort is everything.

Eliakim
10-07-12, 08:25
Thanks in advance...

The Heizer DoubleTap™ is the smallest 9mm and also the smallest available .45ACP

The Heizer is .665 inches wide 5.5 inches long and 3.9 inches high and weighs 12 oz.

The only drawback is it only holds two shots, but for such a small package some compromises are to be expected. The Heizer looked cool on a TV show I was watching the other night but personally I carry a S&W snubby for discreet carry

skyugo
10-07-12, 14:25
The Boberg is fantastic! I put myself on the waiting list September 2011 and received mine at the end of June. The build quality is fantastic, the grip is as good as any gun I've ever held, the recoil is very tame, its more accurate than I am. Arne Boberg's customer service will keep you happy.

This is not a crappy little self defense gun. This is a the first shooter's pocket pistol. It feels fantastic, I've shot as many as 200 rounds at one time, it feels like a larger gun.

The gun is expensive and worth every penny.

we'd love some pics and a full review. It's certainly an interesting firearm.

ElyasWolff
10-07-12, 14:59
Smallest would be the Heizer double tap (if they ever ship them)

But my vote would be for the Shield or PM9/CM9 as a tiny carry gun.

fowler
10-07-12, 19:30
This is the small 9mm that my wife got rid of her Ruger LCP 380 for. The Berretta Nano is a very well made reliable little full power 9mm. I have gave it a work out and it has a clean bill of health. Allso a interesting test from another fellow. http://gunclasses.net/beretta-nano-review/

CAVDOC
10-08-12, 08:35
rohrbaugh is indeed the smallest- kind of like a seecamp 32 on steroids. so limited in production I don't know much about how reliable they are. Lots of other options mentioned here. I helped a friend go shopping the other day with the exact same thing in mind. He has been shooting 1911's longer than most of us have been alive and we ended up with a sig 938. We found it was a hair smaller than his usual walther ppk 380. Jury is still out on reliability on these however. I think it is a lot like 1911's- try to go smaller than commander size and it becomes a challenge to get them to run right

TMS951
10-11-12, 12:13
I have a Kahr PM9. I don't have single bad thing to say about it.

I am able to wear it IWB under a tighter tucked in shirt. It does not print.

Very accurate, and manageable recoil. I also feel confident in its reliability.

The Kahr changed my attitude towards carrying, previously I may have chosen not to. The Kahr is so small it is no work to carry it, as in I do not have to be conscious of the fact I am carrying it.

ozy
10-11-12, 14:19
The new Sig p938.

RiggerGod
10-12-12, 10:06
My wife has a PM9. It is a nice gun and hers has run reliably. I was initially concerned over reports of reliability issues. But she "had to have something small" that wouldn't interfere with her wardrobe choices too badly. We have been fortunate; hers has run 100%. She even shot a Randy Cain class at SE with it exclusively.

I've stol- er borrowed, it on occasion. On a normal sized adult, with a decent holster, it disappears. I'm going to date myself here, but with a OWB holster it reminds me of wearing a pager. You know, one of those messaging kind from the mid-90s? It's like wearing nothing and isn't bad to shoot either. My J frame carries better in the pocket (the Kahr is blockier and too heavy in my opinion) but shooting the PM9 is better and far more comfortable.

That said, now that we are out of Miami and back in a cooler climate I am gently pushing for her to get a Glock 19. In my experience six or seven shots on deck is just not enough. I've responded to too many calls w/ multiple assailants or even, down in Miami, packs of stray dogs. Think about that and see if you still feel confident w/ six shots?

To the OP (if you're even still reading this thread):
Respectfully, I would suggest re-evaluating your priorities if you are seriously considering the Heizer Double Tap for a defensive weapon. I think that the DT looks like a neat gun. I'd love to have one. BUT I would never trust my life or the lives of my friends and family members on two rounds and my ability to hit/take a target down w/ them 100 percent of the time. I mean honestly if that is your idea of a defense weapon, why look at traditional guns at all? Why not get an NFA pen gun? One shot, but I defy you to find a "smaller" easier to conceal weapon. This I feel is where that "....It's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable...." thing comes into play. Not trying to break balls or anything, just hoping you think things over a little more.

decodeddiesel
08-16-13, 11:55
My wife has a PM9. It is a nice gun and hers has run reliably. I was initially concerned over reports of reliability issues. But she "had to have something small" that wouldn't interfere with her wardrobe choices too badly. We have been fortunate; hers has run 100%. She even shot a Randy Cain class at SE with it exclusively.

I've stol- er borrowed, it on occasion. On a normal sized adult, with a decent holster, it disappears. I'm going to date myself here, but with a OWB holster it reminds me of wearing a pager. You know, one of those messaging kind from the mid-90s? It's like wearing nothing and isn't bad to shoot either. My J frame carries better in the pocket (the Kahr is blockier and too heavy in my opinion) but shooting the PM9 is better and far more comfortable.

That said, now that we are out of Miami and back in a cooler climate I am gently pushing for her to get a Glock 19. In my experience six or seven shots on deck is just not enough. I've responded to too many calls w/ multiple assailants or even, down in Miami, packs of stray dogs. Think about that and see if you still feel confident w/ six shots?

To the OP (if you're even still reading this thread):
Respectfully, I would suggest re-evaluating your priorities if you are seriously considering the Heizer Double Tap for a defensive weapon. I think that the DT looks like a neat gun. I'd love to have one. BUT I would never trust my life or the lives of my friends and family members on two rounds and my ability to hit/take a target down w/ them 100 percent of the time. I mean honestly if that is your idea of a defense weapon, why look at traditional guns at all? Why not get an NFA pen gun? One shot, but I defy you to find a "smaller" easier to conceal weapon. This I feel is where that "....It's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable...." thing comes into play. Not trying to break balls or anything, just hoping you think things over a little more.

Good post, some great points made. Personally I am looking for a deep concealment pistol I can wear at work without the chance of being "made". My M&P9c which I normally carry AIWB when "going out" is out of the question. I think 5x .38 +P or 6x 9mm certainly beats a mechanical pencil.

jandbj
08-16-13, 15:16
I'll also recommend the PM9. Have about 100 rounds through mine this week. Very comfortable as the gun to carry, when you can't carry a gun. I have pocket holsters & an ankle rig for it. If i'm carrying IWB its my G26.

That said, my daily carry for the past 5 years has been a G26 and it disappears when carried in a crossbreed supertuck in most any clothing.

nimdabew
08-16-13, 15:22
I really like my MK9, though sometimes I wish it was lighter. A PM9 will be in my future.

Averageman
08-16-13, 16:13
If you want a nice, small, very practical pistol; find a P64.
I was in the market for something to carry when carrying is difficult and this little gem certainly fits the bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXAklp0a2I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-64_(pistol)
The P-64 is a double-action blowback-operated pistol. It has a spring extractor mounted within the slide. The rotating slide catch, installed inside the pistol's frame, contains a protrusion which acts as an empty case ejector. The pistol's trigger mechanism includes a disconnector (which ensures semi-automatic-only fire); a double-action trigger (which allows the pistol to be both cocked and fired with one pull of the trigger); and an exposed hammer. The slide features a loaded chamber indicator (which, both visually and by feel, indicates the presence of a round in the chamber) and a manual safety lever that prevents the weapon from being accidentally discharged with the hammer either cocked or released.
Hornady makes this ammo.
http://www.hornady.com/store/9-x-18mm-Makarov-95-gr-Critical-Defense/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O18YhseiQMg
This is an inexpensive and very reliable pistol in my experiance. It has been very accurate for me, if you are recoil sensitive you can swap some springs around. This gun with this bullet is what I carry when I can't carry.

Phillygunguy
08-16-13, 23:25
OP I'd get rid of that g36 I saw a guy have one in class malfunction almost every magazine to be fair he put a laser guide rod in it, but even when he swapped it out still wasnt very reliable Not sure why you need something smaller than a g26 or PM 9 but those 2 are the way to go IMO

Nick081974
08-17-13, 08:37
I have a sig P938 and it is just very very marginally bigger than the P238 (.380). The P938 just gets that much better when you add the hogue grip and run the 7 round extended magazines