PDA

View Full Version : Had an KAC SR-15 come in today.

Golden Ghost
07-27-12, 22:43
A few days ago I found out at work that we a a KAC SR-15 in Taupe coming in on a transfer. Since I've never had the chance to handle a KAC rifle, I was looking forward to it coming in.

My first impressions however were very disappointing. The quality was way lower than what I thought I could expect from KAC. It seemed to be painted when totally assembled, there for a lot of over spray was under the dust cover, on the flash hider, the buffertube was half painted, etc, etc.

Is this normal for a KAC rifle? I was quite amazed at the lack of quality, due to prior experience with other KAC products.

deadly0311
07-27-12, 23:34
The Taupe rifles were like that. The 5 we had come through our shop were the same way. Painted like I would paint a krylon job. But the KAC really shines when you start slinging rounds downrange. I have shot my SR15, Predatar, Noveske Afghan, DD M4V4, LWRC, POF, and Barretts REC-7 and the SR15 is my favorite of them all. That old saying that you can't read a book by its cover holds true with those rifles. For the added info, I bought the black ones and used a couple cans of Krylon on mine and rocked on. I honestly don't give a rats ass what they look like in a case or hanging on the wall

Although I am agreeing with you that the Taupe paint job looks like shit.

Tzook
07-27-12, 23:40
I'm glad I didn't go spend more money for a taupe gun then...

Magic_Salad0892
07-27-12, 23:45
I liked how ghetto the taupe looked. I just looks like it's begging to be abused.

Of course, anodizing would be welcomed, but I don't care. I got the black ones anyway. (Well... now I only use the lowers.)

a0cake
07-28-12, 00:32
Colored finishes exist for the following reasons:

- To make the firearm less observable. Taupe / Tan / Brown does a good job at this in multiple environments, often even better than green in a woodland environment. In the desert, it's obviously better.

- To reduce the gun's IR signature when viewed through Night Vision (black is notoriously bad in this respect).

- To keep the external surfaces of the gun somewhat cooler under intense sunlight so that it doesn't get too hot to touch without gloves.

Did the way the rifle was finished reduce its effectiveness in any of the ways mentioned above? If not, then who cares?

I'll never understand the obsession with fit and finish when it comes to these kinds of rifles.

Freedoooom
07-28-12, 03:26
Colored finishes exist for the following reasons:

- To make the firearm less observable. Taupe / Tan / Brown does a good job at this in multiple environments, often even better than green in a woodland environment. In the desert, it's obviously better.

- To reduce the gun's IR signature when viewed through Night Vision (black is notoriously bad in this respect).

- To keep the external surfaces of the gun somewhat cooler under intense sunlight so that it doesn't get too hot to touch without gloves.

Did the way the rifle was finished reduce its effectiveness in any of the ways mentioned above? If not, then who cares?

I'll never understand the obsession with fit and finish when it comes to these kinds of rifles.

You pay extra for a half assed job and see how you feel.

sinlessorrow
07-28-12, 11:04
You pay extra for a half assed job and see how you feel.

i guarantee you it would have looked better than when I paint my guns.

justin_247
07-28-12, 12:08
Here we go again.........

Golden Ghost
07-28-12, 21:31
The Taupe rifles were like that. The 5 we had come through our shop were the same way. Painted like I would paint a krylon job. But the KAC really shines when you start slinging rounds downrange. I have shot my SR15, Predatar, Noveske Afghan, DD M4V4, LWRC, POF, and Barretts REC-7 and the SR15 is my favorite of them all. That old saying that you can't read a book by its cover holds true with those rifles. For the added info, I bought the black ones and used a couple cans of Krylon on mine and rocked on. I honestly don't give a rats ass what they look like in a case or hanging on the wall

Although I am agreeing with you that the Taupe paint job looks like shit.

I'm sure they do shoot very well, and I'd love to get some trigger time on one. All I know is, if I was to drop $1,800 bucks on that grade of rifle, I'd want it to have a better look than someone taking a rattle can to it.

BufordTJustice
07-28-12, 21:34
I'm sure they do shoot very well, and I'd love to get some trigger time on one. All I know is, if I was to drop $1,800 bucks on that grade of rifle, I'd want it to have a better look than someone taking a rattle can to it.

Then don't buy one.

It's a fighting rifle, not a showpiece.

STAFF
07-28-12, 21:38
Starting a thread to complain about a paint job is, well not worth the BW.