PDA

View Full Version : bye bye bushmaster

woody d
01-25-08, 10:46
ive had enough! this is my second carbon fiber, and im NEVER gonna get another. thats right, two of them, and theyve been back to the manufacturer, to a gunsmith, and nothing works. it seems the angle is wrong, causing the gun to drive the bullet back into the case.....again and again. ive taken it to a gunsmith i know, and hes sick of seeing me!(or my bushmaster) anyway, im gonna take it to a show this weekend. i know a dealer who seems very willing to take it off my hands.(does he know something?) either way, i have NO patience for a firearm that doesnt function 100%, and im in need of something new. i just dont know what yet:D

markm
01-25-08, 10:54
The first time I handled one of those hunks of shit, I wanted to puke!

I was sickened to find out that there WAS, IN FACT, something worse than Olympic Arms out there.

woody d
01-25-08, 12:04
who makes the finest AR for the average joe right now? name a couple in order if ya would please......

evilmonkey
01-25-08, 12:05
I think bushmaster puts out decent rifles not excellent but decent. As far as the carbon rifles go I think they are pieces of shit! I have heard nothing but bad things about them, so my opinion would be to get rid of it!

markm
01-25-08, 12:06
who makes the finest AR for the average joe right now? name a couple in order if ya would please......

The two top dogs right now seem to be the COLT 6920 and the Noveske N4 carbean!

woody d
01-25-08, 12:07
oh its gone allright, just waiting for the gunshow tommorow! the sad fact is i also had a similar experience w/ the pistol version. fool me twice....

R.Miksits
01-25-08, 12:13
3rds a charm :D Get the N4

RojasTKD
01-25-08, 12:32
Colt
LMT
Noveske
Saber Defense

all are top notch.

I'd consider getting an LMT complete Upper and Lower separate, then just slapping them together. You save a little $$$ that way.

But it sounds like anything would be an upgrade to that BM.

Nathan_Bell
01-25-08, 12:46
The first time I handled one of those hunks of shit, I wanted to puke!

I was sickened to find out that there WAS, IN FACT, something worse than Olympic Arms out there.

Thats one hell of an indictment, coming from you!

rob_s
01-25-08, 13:18
Believe it or not, the BM version are actually an IMPROVEMENT over the originals before BM bought the company. :eek:

Paulinski
01-25-08, 14:02
Frankly I can never understand the need for a AR-15 made out of carbon fiber.

markm
01-25-08, 14:07
Frankly I can never understand the need for a AR-15 made out of carbon fiber.

I can't understand why so many people buy them! :confused:

paradoc
01-25-08, 15:09
If you got burned on a carbon rifle, why in the hell did you get another one?

Guns are supposed to be made from metal not carbon or any other polymer, plastic crap. Plastic is ok for handguards and such not frames or receivers.

I have changed a few things on my Bushmaster but never has anything just broken, but then again mine is a real gun not plastic.

neodecker
01-25-08, 15:15
If you got burned on a carbon rifle, why in the hell did you get another one?.

I was wondering the same thing

SuicideHz
01-25-08, 16:14
For the last time, it's NOT CARBON FIBER. Carbon fiber is strong. This fiber reinforced plastic is not.

Bushmaster "carbons" are shit.

M4arc
01-25-08, 16:20
Let's try and help woody d find a new carbine instead of questioning his past decisions. This website is about learning and progressing and that's what he has realized so let's steer him in the right direction.

SuicideHz
01-25-08, 16:27
I'm not trying to rag on him. I just wanted to point out that I hate hearing them referred to as CF.

My suggestion to help him out would be to beg Grant for an end of the year sale LMT with KAC rails.

paradoc
01-25-08, 16:53
Now a thought, replace the upper receiver on the "carbon" Bushy with a metal upper, say a CMMG 14.7 w/A2 FH add the BCG, charging handle, and iron sight/optic of your choice. Having the lighter weight lower with a decent upper may make a great combo.

I heard bad things about the Carbon 15's from the time they were introduced, but maybe the lowers aren't the problem.

ZGXtreme
01-25-08, 16:58
I'm not trying to rag on him. I just wanted to point out that I hate hearing them referred to as CF.

My suggestion to help him out would be to beg Grant for an end of the year sale LMT with KAC rails.

Suicide hit it on the head... the OP needs drastic help to make up for his past, horrid experience!

Edit to Add: I may be a bit slow, but I just noticed that it appears the forum's clock is back on time! Good job guys! :D

SuicideHz
01-25-08, 17:18
Maybe Grant will take it in on trade and then sell it on Ebay as a plastic toy.

BushmasterFanBoy
01-25-08, 18:20
I can't understand why so many people buy them! :confused:

A couple of stores locally carry them. The sales clerks always seem to push them on the customers.
The fact that they are so light makes it seem appealing at the sales counter, where the buyer might not know much about AR-15's.
I think it's horrible and speaks volumes about a company that knowingly puts utter trash in the hands of perhaps, ill-informed gun buyers. It makes the company look terrible and not to mention it's a terrible thing to do.

Semper Paratus
01-25-08, 18:26
The OP should call Grant @ G&R Tactical, sometimes a little hard to get through to, but definitely worth the effort, and have him build up what you want. I'm sur he will talk you through and make recommendations. Great service and prices.....great guy. I'll build my next AR through him.

SuicideHz
01-25-08, 18:35
And 99% of the time, those store owners call them Carbon Fiber to fool people into thinking they are strong when more often than not, chips and chunks come flying off.

scottryan
01-25-08, 20:32
Bushmaster has been on a backwards slide relative to everyone else in the AR-15 market.

They have not updated any components to their GI style product line in 20 years to keep up.

The move to offer the carbon guns is another blunder.

thmpr
01-25-08, 21:08
Get a noveske N4...

TheGhostRider
01-25-08, 21:30
Don't get me started on the "Carbine 15 Type 97S Pistol". Been there, done that ain't doin it again. Even though I found out after I sold it that it was the magazines that were the problem........... who knew.:p :D

N4
LMT

or

Build your own.

01-25-08, 23:50

For the average joe who has 8 to 10 bills ot spend on a M4 clone I would go;

Sabre Defense
Stag
Smith & wesson
Rock river

markm
01-26-08, 07:40
A couple of stores locally carry them. The sales clerks always seem to push them on the customers.
The fact that they are so light makes it seem appealing at the sales counter, where the buyer might not know much about AR-15's.

This is FOR SURE! I don't know how many times I read some putz on TOS describing how light the Carbon Crap was at his local gun store, and that he had to have one.... for the wife or some nonsense.

I used to offer to make those fools ARs out of styrofoam if lightness was so important to them.

woody d
01-26-08, 08:00
thanks everyone, i appreciate the advice. im getting ready to hit the road for the gun show:D and yes, the bushmaster is coming with me. ive got a short list of a few firearms id like to add to my safe, and its gonna be a big show, so im not sure what i ll end up getting. i know a guy who cant get this piece of junk fast enough, so im walking straight to his table first.

C4IGrant
01-26-08, 12:39
Maybe Grant will take it in on trade and then sell it on Ebay as a plastic toy.

Don't do trades (especially with shrubmasters). ;)

C4

SuicideHz
01-26-08, 12:49
Hey Grant- not to be a tattle tale but I got yelled at for UN recommending a bushmaster to a guy in another thread. I was disappointed that some of your mods scolded me for saying BM sucks and to go for something else. They both in turn then recommended one...

:eek:

C4IGrant
01-26-08, 12:54
Hey Grant- not to be a tattle tale but I got yelled at for UN recommending a bushmaster to a guy in another thread. I was disappointed that some of your mods scolded me for saying BM sucks and to go for something else. They both in turn then recommended one...

:eek:

I am sure you have better things to do then worrying about what the mods and staff on M4C do.

BM AR's have their place and if someone thinks that is the best fit for them, then great!

Honestly speaking, if the AR is going to be a safe queen, it really doesn't matter what you buy.

C4

SuicideHz
01-26-08, 13:01
I am sure you have better things to do then worrying about what the mods and staff on M4C do.

BM AR's have their place and if someone thinks that is the best fit for them, then great!

Honestly speaking, if the AR is going to be a safe queen, it really doesn't matter what you buy.

C4

But I see you already responded to that thread.

I have better things to do than pay attention to what two mods are telling a new member. But, I am a little more than interested when I'm giving him advice and they shoot me down. Then I'm involved.

C4IGrant
01-26-08, 13:04
But I see you already responded to that thread.

I have better things to do than pay attention to what two mods are telling a new member. But, I am a little more than interested when I'm giving him advice and they shoot me down. Then I'm involved.

Maybe the mods were right? We all have our POV and the mods/staff on this forum are some of the most weapon/gear knowledgeable shooters I know (which is how they got the job). They also attend a lot of training. Point being is that if they shoot down your idea, that is ok and would not take it personally.

C4

pearson
01-26-08, 13:51
Really what is wrong with bushmaster if you dont shoot that often and just go plinking it will do the job. But if you are relying on something and it has to work or you life could be at risk then buy the best that is made.

There are lots of people that just want to go plinking with their ar and proably wont ever have a problem with it.

Buy the best you can afford if all you can afford is a bushmaster then buy that if you can afford the best of the best go for it.

GONIF
01-26-08, 14:26
I always hoped BM would get the carbon AR perfected,but never saw a need for it to begin with . on the subject of BM building a top shelf AR ,I have an A2 I bought new in 1999 from a guy who bought it new and never fired it . got it $550 cash and it has been flawless through a couple thousand rounds ,so they do make a good AR , top tier maybe not but reliable and trouble free for sure . don't what they are shipping now but the one I have is a keeper . :cool:

Redfisher
01-26-08, 17:26
Bushmaster has been on a backwards slide relative to everyone else in the AR-15 market.

They have not updated any components to their GI style product line in 20 years to keep up.

The move to offer the carbon guns is another blunder.

Hard to disagree with that statement, Scottryan.

But didn't Bushmaster purchase a company operating out of AZ that built the carbon-fiber guns?

If it is as I remember it, they likely were just hedging their bets on the future use of CF in firearms. That plan placed a higher stock in the value of lighter weights, and (theoretically) stronger materials.

Had the theory been right, BM would look like geniuses right now. But as it turns out.........it is simply a bad AR15 design and poor performing business unit without a future.

Just because the CF guns are bad should not have any relation to the quality or viability of their primary offerings. Those are another story.

woody d
01-27-08, 09:10
in case anyone was curious i sold my bushmaster yesterday(lost $100), and i bought a glock 36. it will eventually become my every day carry, so i will upgrade from glock 9mm to .45. not really what i intended to buy, but something i wanted eventually. so now im in the market for an AR of some form. i looked at the smith and wesson rifles, and that is what im probably gonna end up with.

recon
01-27-08, 11:07
I have Bushnaster I bought back in 85'. Great rifle with no problems at all. Just picked up a RRA lower with a Busmaster HB upper. Looks good. Can't wait to try this one out. All the other one's listed to buy are good rifles. Just depends on what you can afford.

SuicideHz
01-27-08, 11:33
Hard to disagree with that statement, Scottryan.

But didn't Bushmaster purchase a company operating out of AZ that built the carbon-fiber guns?

If it is as I remember it, they likely were just hedging their bets on the future use of CF in firearms. That plan placed a higher stock in the value of lighter weights, and (theoretically) stronger materials.

Had the theory been right, BM would look like geniuses right now. But as it turns out.........it is simply a bad AR15 design and poor performing business unit without a future.

Just because the CF guns are bad should not have any relation to the quality or viability of their primary offerings. Those are another story.

Carbon Fiber huh? ;)

woody d
01-27-08, 11:52
am i correct in saying the company based in AZ they bought out was professional ordanance?

heston911
01-27-08, 12:06
ive had enough! this is my second carbon fiber, and im NEVER gonna get another. thats right, two of them, and theyve been back to the manufacturer, to a gunsmith, and nothing works. it seems the angle is wrong, causing the gun to drive the bullet back into the case.....again and again. ive taken it to a gunsmith i know, and hes sick of seeing me!(or my bushmaster) anyway, im gonna take it to a show this weekend. i know a dealer who seems very willing to take it off my hands.(does he know something?) either way, i have NO patience for a firearm that doesnt function 100%, and im in need of something new. i just dont know what yet:D

I think I know the problem and the fix for this. I have one of these P.O.S's :mad:

I actually bought one when they first came out under the Bushy line. I was impressed by the weight. :o After 100 rds it quit working. I had the same problem, only it was so bad, the rifle became a single shot, jamming each successive rd into the barrel ext. I took it on the chin and just parted out the gun for what usable parts there were for other builds. For two years the scraps from the rifle sat in a box until one day for shits and giggles I decided to re-assemble it.

I tried all kinds of things to get it to run. For days and days I pondered what the deal was. Then I found it:

The upper receiver was so out of dimension (inner dimensions) the pistol length BCG so tight against the inner surface of the upper, it would get stuck inside, requiring quite a bit if force to unjam it.

So what I did was roll up pieces of emery cloth to lightly fit the inside of upper rec. (barrel removed ;) ) and shaved material from the inside, opening up the dimensions, progressively moving to finer grits for a smooth finish, until the BCG would drop through easily with no resistance. I reassembled it and lo and behold it works!

I would dare say this condition is extremely common in these pieces of vomit-inducing trash. Boy how I would love to sell mine, but I wouldn't wish such a monstrosity on even my worst enemy. So It will just hang around the house collecting dust until I can find something cool to do with it.

woody d
01-27-08, 14:38
for the record, both versions i had were traded with ALL knowledge of the problems. the pistol i traded to a buddy (who thinks its a work in progress) for a marlin 1895 stainless and some cash, and i think i did pretty well considering, on the rifle (glock 36, nite sights,and $100). the guy i traded the rifle to had a buyer lined up, so the guilt thing isnt an issue. he knew what was up, so if he doesnt pass on the info that reflects on him not me.