PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 13

Arik
07-28-12, 09:25
I did a search and came up empty.

Does anyone have experience with this revolver? Good? Bad? Can they handle hot 357 loads?

A buddy just bought one, I got a chance to play with it and really liked it. I was amazed at how fast, easy and naturally the sights aligned. The store he bought it from has a few more for $295. They are police trade ins. I was thinking of picking one up as a first revolver. HD/range/carry. In that order.

wlptpd3
07-28-12, 10:21
It's a K-frame revolver, with that said I would not feed it a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition. It will work just fine with any .38 or 38+p ammunition which will also prolong the life of the revolver.

IIRC this was the issued revolver of the FBI back in the 80's and they were always a good seller. The 3" barrel and K-frame seems to be the perfect size for carry and ease of use.

I think you will be more than satisfied with your purchase.

tdb59
07-28-12, 11:40
It is basically a fixed sight, heavy barrel version of the Model 19. It will digest whatever factory or factory equivalent 357 loads you want to run through it.

Sam
07-28-12, 11:41
Like the poster above said, it would serve you well. Additional info: they come in 3" and 4" barrel, the 3" would be an excellent choice for all around gun. I carry a 3" model 65 (stainless steel version) and love how it feels, not too heavy and well balanced. The weight help soak up the recoil of the .357 and almost eliminate the recoil of most .38 specials. At $295, get it, you can't go wrong with it as your first wheelgun.

Arik
07-28-12, 14:12
These are 4in barrels. Thanks guys. Ill probably pick one up on Tuesday. Not planning on shooting a whole lot of 357. Just seems like a well balanced, tough revolver

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

okie john
07-29-12, 07:57
Just seems like a well balanced, tough revolver

That they are, as long as you go easy on the .357 ammo, especially the 125-grain loads, which have a long history of cracking forcing cones in K-frame Smiths. Google for more info.

Also, $295 is a good price on a Model 13.

Okie John

CAVDOC
07-29-12, 08:52
a k frame smith is one of the most reliable , accurate handguns in existence. Don't be scared of all the hype that k- frames can't handle magnums- I know no one who wastes time powder and recoil abuse shooting magnum all the time. nearly everyone who shoots one of these will shoot a few magnums to check point of impact and function, then scale back to 38's 90+% of the time. let's say you shoot 250 magnums a year and 5000 specials. at that rate the gun will last about 150 years. Just a word of caution- if you do shoot specials clean cylinder throughly before shooting magnums. the crud that builds up where the end of the spcial case is in the chamber will make getting magnums in and out very hard if not removed.

williejc
08-01-12, 21:25
Since this'll be your first wheel gun, remember this tip. Clean under the extractor star to remove any crud from extractor or cylinder. Unburned powder grains or any other debris--regardless of how small the amount is--will raise the extractor and cause cylinder to bind. An old toothbrush works great. When ejecting empties, allow the barrel to point straight up and the cylinder straight down to alleviate the debris problem.

Learn to shoot it double action. Once you do, you'll seldom use single action.....You have selected an outstanding revolver. If you think repair is needed, contact the factory which will charge you less anyway. Please avoid jack-legs for repair issues.

If you can afford it, buy two.

DocH
08-05-12, 09:38
The K frames are my all around favorite S&W revolvers. I have a Mod 19 2 1/2 inch that I've had for 41 years. It went through my police career with me and has had many magnum rounds through it.
Just stay away from the hot 125gr. loads and you'll be fine,as far as wear on the gun. I carry mine a lot still,and normally it's just loaded with the Gold Dot short barrel load or Golden Sabers. Both very controllable in rapid fire. The fixed sighted revolvers have always been the bread and butter for Smith & Wesson and are great lifetime investments.
I feel that owning some guns that are not dependant on detachable magazines for operation is just plain smart. A Mod.13 with a three or four inch barrel will accomplish a lot of things for you.
I have some other K frames and they are not going anywhere,anytime soon.

CAVDOC
08-06-12, 08:37
second all of willlie's comments

JHC
08-06-12, 18:52
I did a search and came up empty.

Does anyone have experience with this revolver? Good? Bad? Can they handle hot 357 loads?

A buddy just bought one, I got a chance to play with it and really liked it. I was amazed at how fast, easy and naturally the sights aligned. The store he bought it from has a few more for $295. They are police trade ins. I was thinking of picking one up as a first revolver. HD/range/carry. In that order.

That sounds like an excellent price for those. They supply of those is not getting any better. I plan to buy the next 3" I see on sight price within reason.

Arik
08-11-12, 12:04
That sounds like an excellent price for those. They supply of those is not getting any better. I plan to buy the next 3" I see on sight price within reason.

Well i just bought the Model 13, 4 inch barrel. And they had a 3in barrel one with wooden grips for $350 ish, maybe a bit closer to $400 i dont remember.

Frailer
08-11-12, 15:57
...they had a 3in barrel one with wooden grips for $350 ish, maybe a bit closer to $400 i dont remember.

I never seem to come across deals like this.

Well...to be completely truthful, I sometimes do, but it always seems to be a gun that I already have *two* of.

Congratulations on your new gun. I feel sure you'll love it, but even if you don't used S&W revolvers go up in value--not down.

Hawgleg44
08-14-12, 16:33
S&W K-Frames are my absolute favorites I've carried custom K's built by Karl Sokol at Chestnutmountainsports.com since I turned 21, starting with a 3" M65, which is simply a SS M13. Back then, I was young and dumb and felt that every handloads I assembled had to be full power magnum loads. Over the years and well over 10,000 rounds of hot magnums later, the M65 was loose with flame cutting on the face of the cylinder and topstrap.

As I type this, I have a 2-1/2" M66 that Karl built for me on my hip. I also have a 3" M13 that Karl also built for me that I carry, too. He has another M65 that he's doing over for me now.

Here are my two Sokol snubs.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/SWM13.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/100_2079-2-1-1.jpg

okie john
08-14-12, 16:46
S&W K-Frames are my absolute favorites I've carried custom K's built by Karl Sokol at Chestnutmountainsports.com since I turned 21, starting with a 3" M65, which is simply a SS M13.

Karl Sokol breathed new life into my four-inch Model 29-2. He's the MAN for S&W work.

Okie John

Arik
08-14-12, 21:15
Nice! Like the look of the hammers

Fly'nBuff
08-23-12, 21:50
A good condition 3" for $350-$400 is a great deal in my book. I'd jump on that in a hurry.

Blueinterceptor
08-25-12, 00:52
It was the first handgun I ever purchased. I have had it for almost 3 decades, I will never give it up.

ETA I was at the gun show in the Philly expo center today. They had one in mint condition. 850$
Standard grips blued 4 inch barrel and square butt.