PDA

View Full Version : DPMS buffer tube help?

KingCobra
07-28-12, 14:33
I have been shooting my rifle alot more then usual lately ad I shot my buddies "moe" rifle and decided I really liked the look and feel and I want to do this to my ar.

now my issues is, I cannot figure out if my buffer is commercial or milspec. I found some pots online saying that a 5 pos is milspec and 6 is commercial but I wanted to confim if this was true?

I did try the search tab but I didnt know what to type in. I tried "buffer tube indentification" and got nothing.

munch520
07-28-12, 14:42
I would bet its commercial

http://www.ar15fornoobs.com/wp-content/uploads/Buffertube_Specs.jpg

KingCobra
07-28-12, 14:46
oh man, if I would have found that photo I could have prevented myself from looking like an ass.

It appears to be a commercial tube, thank for the help man!

ST911
07-28-12, 14:47
You need to either mic it, or put a sample of a known dim on it. It is almost certainly a commercial dim receiver extension, but DPMS has shipped guns with mil dim receiver extensions.

KingCobra
07-28-12, 14:55
according to the photo its commercial.

Quentin
07-29-12, 00:02
according to the photo its commercial.

Yeah DPMS is commercial unless someone already changed out the receiver extension. A quick test: if the threads feel the same diameter as the tube it's commercial, if the threads are larger than the tube, milspec.

KingCobra
07-29-12, 00:03
according to everything you experts said, its commercial so I ordered a commercial stock..LOL

mjkeat
07-29-12, 00:44
According to DPMS their commercial extension is stronger than the mil-spec versions. I would like to see some testing.

KingCobra
07-29-12, 01:11
The best I can say is I dropped it from the second story of a building.

I fell on it once.

And basically I throw the rifle around. I don't so much abuse it, but you know..if it can't handle being thrown around I don't need it anyways. :p

lunchbox
07-29-12, 01:20
According to DPMS their commercial extension is stronger than the mil-spec versions. I would like to see some testing.Their commercial tubes have thicker walls. So I have read...

lunchbox
07-29-12, 01:30
Their commercial tubes have thicker walls. So I have read...And that receiver extensions can be as thick as it wants. Where ext. mounts in to receiver is where I have seen (pics on net) most failures/break points, dont think I've ever seen the tube itself fail..

KingCobra
07-29-12, 12:34
And that receiver extensions can be as thick as it wants. Where ext. mounts in to receiver is where I have seen (pics on net) most failures/break points, dont think I've ever seen the tube itself fail..

+1, thats where I see the failure also. kinda making me want to mic the difference between my dpms lower and say a DD or colt.