PDA

View Full Version : 'New' Gen 4 G19 Range reports

m4brian
07-28-12, 17:32
Took my May 12 G19 out again for another 200 rounds today. I did 250 about 2 weeks ago. I've been shooting Fed Champion 115 gr (Wally World) and some new Aguila 124 gr. - bought it because I heard it runs better in the Gen 4 spring setup.

No failures of any kind so far. First time out I got some real slide burn/bite. I now have a GF Adapter. No bite - and the sights seem to line up a bit easier - recoil MAY be a bit more direct also.

Ejection - none to the head. With the 115 gr, I do get an occasional case over the head to the rear - well to the rear. With the 124 gr, which has noticeably more recoil, it is all to the 5 O'Clock position and thrown fairly far.

I have now run the ejection experiment with no mag. 115gr will often stovepipe when ejecting with no mag. The 124 gr ejects normally. It is amazing how much the mag makes a difference with the 115 gr.

I do believe that I'll try the Apex extractor when it comes out. I'm not a fan of fixing things that work, but it may improve ejection. I have the new stout ejector.

I had considered the PPQ, and despite all the reports of the Gen 4 problems went with the G19, because I always admired the form factor, weight, and simplicity. I also could get it at LEO prices.

Also, this trigger seems to be breaking in nicely - like my sons Gen 3, with a smooth takeup and nice crisp letoff. not too stout. I still need more time on it because it is way different than my CZs and Hipower. Overall, for a gun with no manual safety, I like it.

I THINK I'll stay with the GFA. While it lengthens the pull, it keeps the gun orientation more 1911ish and keep the hands OR gloves away from the slide in recoil - which would NOT be a good thing.

So far I like my Gen 4. Perfection would be no finger grooves, and a tad more beavertail on the frame rear.

gatorfan605
07-28-12, 19:07
I'm with you in the minority. My 2011 gen 4 19 had the gen 4 upgrades when I took it to Glock. 30274 ejector, updated extractor,and new trigger connector. Since then, no erratic ejection in over 1000 rounds. It's been run pretty hard, even in some competition.

PLCedeno
07-29-12, 07:33
Im with you guys on this. New Gen4 G19 serial #TCK... No problems at all. 1600 rounds. I did change the extractor to the non-dip from Glock before firing the first round though.

m4brian
07-29-12, 12:14
Any of you run the "no mag" ejection drill?

I'd be curious to see how the non-dip extractor performs on this drill with 115 gr ammo.

I think my son's boringly reliable ( 5year old) Gen 3 has a dipped extractor also.

PLCedeno
07-29-12, 17:49
Just did it. No problem on mine. BTW im at 1900 rounds now.

joshrunkle35
07-29-12, 18:21
I have an early production, stock Glock 19 Gen 4 LEO package. I had 0 problems from 0-1000 rounds 12 malfunctions from 1-2000 rounds and 0 malfunctions from 2,000-7,000 rounds (about where it's currently at). I have used federal American eagle 115 gr for all but the 1,000-2,000 mark, where I used pmc 115 gr. I have not changed any parts yet or mags.

Of the malfunctions I saw, 10 of 12 were stovepipes. I did keep data on every round fired from 0-2,000 rounds as I was doing a "2,000 rd pistol test", in which the gun was fired and not cleaned for the first 2k rounds. 9 of the 12 malfunctions experienced happened between rounds 1,000-1,600, which were all shot during a class that was in a heavy amount of rain for a few hours and a steady drizzle the whole day. After 2k rounds, the pistol was cleaned, and parts were inspected for wear and tear. I left the gun original, switched back to American Eagle 115 gr, have had a few random boxes of other things in-between, but for the most part just American Eagle 115, and the gun has run flawlessly the last 5,000 rounds, and has not been cleaned, however, it hasn't been in sand, mud, snow or steady rain since 2k rounds. Just polite indoor and outdoor range conditions, and a few classes with decent weather.

wrecks30
07-29-12, 18:22
ran a few today actually, had 1 stovepipe and 2 through the mag well.

m4brian
07-30-12, 07:08
Im with you guys on this. New Gen4 G19 serial #TCK... No problems at all. 1600 rounds. I did change the extractor to the non-dip from Glock before firing the first round though.

When did you change the extractor? How did you get your extractor from Glock. Thanks.

ST911
07-30-12, 09:22
Perhaps the content of this thread could be merged with the existing, 60-page thread on the topic? There are many posts like these already there...

smitty704
07-30-12, 09:35
Congrats!

My gen 4 G19 also has the 30274 ejector, non-MIM extractor, 0-4-3 RSA, and it has been flawless for almost 2700 rounds of mostly Federal champion 115g FMJ's. Strong, consistent ejection to 3:30/4:00 with all ammo I've shot.

Again, congrats on the success with your gen 4! Hope it continues to treat you well.

PLCedeno
07-30-12, 16:20
When did you change the extractor? How did you get your extractor from Glock. Thanks.

I changed it before i fired the gun. Two weeks ago. Im an armorer so i just called Tech Support.

PLCedeno
07-30-12, 16:21
Perhaps the content of this thread could be merged with the existing, 60-page thread on the topic? There are many posts like these already there...

This one is different in that there are remarks by people without problems and perhaps why those problems dont exist.

JHC
07-30-12, 18:33
Two FDE Gen 4 G19s here are running well with ejection that does not hit the shooter. Just under 500 rds on each. Just starting out.

avengd7x
07-31-12, 00:03
Congrats!

My gen 4 G19 also has the 30274 ejector, non-MIM extractor, 0-4-3 RSA, and it has been flawless for almost 2700 rounds of mostly Federal champion 115g FMJ's. Strong, consistent ejection to 3:30/4:00 with all ammo I've shot.

Again, congrats on the success with your gen 4! Hope it continues to treat you well.

how do you know if you have a non MIM extractor? my 2012 gen 4 didn't start giving me problems till around 1000 rounds were through it

m4brian
07-31-12, 07:22
I have not seen the difference between the non-MIM and MIM - just dipped vs. non-dipped. How do you tell?

my 2012 gen 4 didn't start giving me problems till around 1000 rounds were through it

So... it exhibited no erratic ejection? Perfect for the first 1000?

smitty704
07-31-12, 08:02
how do you know if you have a non MIM extractor? my 2012 gen 4 didn't start giving me problems till around 1000 rounds were through it

Glock sent it to me with my replacement gen 4 G19 and was told that it was a non-MIM extractor. It is flush on top and doesn't have the "dip" that the MIM extractors have, or any mold marks.

From what I understand Glock is sending this extractor out with the newest gen 3's, but for some reason not the gen 4's. I guess I got lucky.

avengd7x
07-31-12, 10:25
Glock sent it to me with my replacement gen 4 G19 and was told that it was a non-MIM extractor. It is flush on top and doesn't have the "dip" that the MIM extractors have, or any mold marks.

From what I understand Glock is sending this extractor out with the newest gen 3's, but for some reason not the gen 4's. I guess I got lucky.

ok thanks. mine has the dipped extractor, I wasn't sure if that was the only way to tell. I can definitely tell that my gen 2 is non MIM, but my dipped gen 4 and non dipped gen 3s look similar.

yea the first 1000 rounds or so were nothing out of the ordinary, but I really started noticing erratic ejection after that. and it wasn't just once or twice every 100 rounds, but sometimes several times a magazine

Ranger45
07-31-12, 15:12
My experience has been the same with my Oct. 2010 PYU*** Gen4 G19. One FTE in the first ten rounds...but no problems since. I have kept up with all of the upgrades (RSA, extractor, ejector...no sense in flirting with a problem) and the gun just keeps running without fail.

Scouse
07-31-12, 15:57
Bought mine as they first came out, won one as well. PPYXXX.

All the changes done! Springs etc. Fitted 3-5 connector, extended slide release, TRUGLOW fiber optic sights. Left it original.

Had a steel stage at our March IDPA match, 18 different sized poppers and plates, two were 1ft square plates.
All at around 25m.

I had no misses, took forever, I am 76 when all is said and done.
That pistol is accurate. I carry same. Do the odd fill in, for my Sons Security Company, carry it there as well.