PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow in 300 Win Mag

jwfuhrman
07-28-12, 23:04
My little cousin has recently gone through a divorce and is wanting to sell some of his less used guns to get some cash back.

He has a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow model in 300 WM and wants $350 for it.

My question is, I know its worth probably that just for resale value($799.99 MSRP on Winchester's website), but I'm wondering if I should buy it and "build it". I see McMillan makes stocks for them, someone makes DBM that use Accuracy International mags.

Just curious as to what you guys think. Should I re-barrel it for something else. Its long action, but thats not a breaking point. I've always had a soft spot for 30-06, thought about rebarreling it for that and building a match gun with it, less recoil than a 300 WM.

C-grunt
07-31-12, 12:20
On another site that I frequent there was a guy who had a 30-06 precision rifle. It had a long barrel and if I remember correctly he was getting around 2800 FPS with a 190 grn bullet.

JStor
07-31-12, 20:55
It'll have the magnum bolt face, so standard cartridges won't fit it, even with a new barrel. I'd pass, unless I really wanted a .300 Magnum...but it would make a great elk rifle if you live in that sort of country.

The .300 Mag shines for long range duty, but if you want a rifle for that, forget sporter versions. To take advantage of the ballistics of the cartridge, you should select a heavy barrel and a McMillan A-5 or other fiberglass stock. Then you need a set of Badger Ordnance rings and a rail and a decent optic...the list goes on. How much are you willing to spend?