PDA

View Full Version : Barrel slightly oversized-Would you thin out your gas block a little to make it fit?

blasternank
07-29-12, 08:49
I received a barrel from a company that I don't think is around any more. Anyway, it was last year and I now started to put it together. The cuts where the gas block goes is slightly oversized. It was made for a .750" gas block. It measures about .7540" where the block fits over. The barrel where the block stops is measured in at about .790", so that looks fine there.

My question is, I want to use this barrel. Should I just take a dremel and lightly hallow out a little bit on the bottom of the gas block until it fits? Or do you have some other recommendation?

Thanks.

SpankMonkey
07-29-12, 09:32
I would not screw with it. Get a 2 piece YHM gas block, it bolts on.

MarkG
07-29-12, 09:36
You may to try a cylinder hone and hand fit the gas block to the barrel.

McMaster Part No. 4424A67 (http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-hones/=im85y9)

MistWolf
07-29-12, 12:33
.004" isn't very much. The gas block should fit fine. This is NOT a job for Dr. Dremel. It's also premature to start cutting, honing or otherwise removing material from anything without seeing how the parts fit. The gas block I installed on my precision AR was a little tight but went on fine with a light coat of anti-seize and a bit of tapping with a dead blow hammer & punch.

In any case, a light application with some 180 grit emery cloth will be more than sufficient

seb5
07-29-12, 14:37
Agree with above. Whenever removing material DO NOT start with the higher priced part. I do not use 2 piece blocks simply because I don't have the experience with them to trust them as much as a 1 piece, YMMV.