PDA

View Full Version : Kimberly Rhode wins Gold sets American record

tb-av
07-29-12, 17:38
Kimberly Rhode won gold in Skeet.

First American to win an individual medal in 5 consecutive Olympics.

Palmguy
07-29-12, 18:06
If I'm not mistaken, her score was also an Olympic & world record.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tb-av
07-29-12, 19:14
Yes, you are correct. I just heard that. She said there's always next time to get all 100.

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-12, 19:17
Yeah 99 out of 100 clays ain't bad. ;)

3 AE
07-29-12, 22:41
My Lord! To be able to sustain that level of world class competition for twenty years at both Doubles Trap and Skeet is just incredible. When I competed at the regional level in International Skeet over 25 years ago we were allowed to use 1-1/8 ounce of #9 birdshot. Todays game allows a maximum of 7/8 ounce of shot. Very small margin of error going after a clay bird moving @90 MPH out of the house, on a variable 0-3 second time delay, and with the butt of your stock at your hipbone and not move it until the bird is out of the house. I was shooting 800-1000 rounds a week in practice. She does that in a DAY! What incredible mental game she must possess. I salute her, a job well done.

Jellybean
07-29-12, 23:09
Epic!

Although, I will say, I would be kind of annoyed if the U.S. DIDN'T win gold in a shooting sport. It's just so us...:laugh:

Belmont31R
07-29-12, 23:43
I met her when I shot trap. Very nice and humble lady. Congrats to her on her accomplishments, and I hope to see here kicking ass for the USA and herself at future Olympics. :cool:

Moose-Knuckle
07-30-12, 01:52
Epic!

Although, I will say, I would be kind of annoyed if the U.S. DIDN'T win gold in a shooting sport. It's just so us...:laugh:

Yeah well China is beating us by three medals (one Gold, one Silver, and one Bronze) in this games shooting events. :(

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/

chadbag
07-30-12, 02:02
Yeah well China is beating us by three medals (one Gold, one Silver, and one Bronze) in this games shooting events. :(

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/

That is because we shoot real guns :-)

Everything except the Skeet was Air Pistol or Air Rifle so far and in 2 out of the 3 the US didn't even have anyone in the finals (I did not check if there were any US competitors at all in them, just the finals list).

--

Moose-Knuckle
07-30-12, 02:14
That is because we shoot real guns :-)

Everything except the Skeet was Air Pistol or Air Rifle so far and in 2 out of the 3 the US didn't even have anyone in the finals (I did not check if there were any US competitors at all in them, just the finals list).

--

No doubt, but it's not like their gonna have a 3-gun event. :D

The whole air gun thing is big in places like Europe where firearms are heavily restricted in most countries.

tb-av
07-30-12, 09:07
My Lord! To be able to sustain that level of world class competition for twenty years at both Doubles Trap and Skeet is just incredible. When I competed at the regional level in International Skeet over 25 years ago we were allowed to use 1-1/8 ounce of #9 birdshot. Todays game allows a maximum of 7/8 ounce of shot. Very small margin of error going after a clay bird moving @90 MPH out of the house, on a variable 0-3 second time delay, and with the butt of your stock at your hipbone and not move it until the bird is out of the house. I was shooting 800-1000 rounds a week in practice. She does that in a DAY! What incredible mental game she must possess. I salute her, a job well done.

.... and if that were not enough...... someone stole her shotgun that she had previously won all the medals with!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-29/u-s-shooter-rhode-aims-to-boost-olympic-tally-after-fifth-medal.html

Bubba FAL
07-30-12, 22:23
Back in the '90s, I got to see Kim practicing one day out in Corona, CA - she is a shooting machine!

Congrats to her. Too bad NBC won't cover any of the shooting events (at least not on the OTA broadcast, don't know about the cable channels).

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 23:06
I wish 3-gun was an Olympic event.

Or IDPA type stuff.

GeorgiaBoy
07-30-12, 23:41
Nothing devoted to shooting humanoid targets will ever be an Olympic sport.

And theres not anything wrong with that.

chadbag
07-30-12, 23:50
Back in the '90s, I got to see Kim practicing one day out in Corona, CA - she is a shooting machine!

Congrats to her. Too bad NBC won't cover any of the shooting events (at least not on the OTA broadcast, don't know about the cable channels).

They seem to be doing it in cable channels or at least you can go to nbcolympics.com and watch replays, but only if your cable subscription includes the channel it originally aired on.

Yet another reason to just go to the BBC site and pay for the VPN.

=

Magic_Salad0892
07-31-12, 00:16
Nothing devoted to shooting humanoid targets will ever be an Olympic sport.

And theres not anything wrong with that.

Maybe I just wanna see international military competitions. Lol.

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-12, 17:08
In case you didn't think she was already a stand up person before, here are her comments on the Aurora shooting when asked in London.

"There always is something positive," said Kim Rhode, the Olympic women's skeet champion and first U.S. athlete to win an individual medal in five straight Olympics.

"I mean, shooting is something that teaches responsibility, discipline, focus," she added. "And this is a sport and it's sad when those lines get blurred with media and news, with someone that was obviously very disturbed. And, you know, hopefully we just continue on the positive path and just keep showing and teaching others."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-athletes-competing-aurora-mind-160910223--oly.html

Skyyr
07-31-12, 18:18
Maybe I just wanna see international military competitions. Lol.

We have those on a pretty regular basis; they're called "wars."

Moose-Knuckle
08-01-12, 12:13
Good read and hell of a shooter.

Vince Hancock on why American shooters dominate Olympics

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/vince-hancock-why-american-shooters-dominate-olympics-121149392--oly.html