PDA

View Full Version : barrels

dansrice
07-29-12, 18:11
is buying new really better?

offroader1006
07-29-12, 18:29
round count under 1000 is close enough to new not to worry about.

but like anything used, you never know how the owner maintained it.

could have never cleaned it properly.

I buy new because I don't have to worry about any previous mistreatment and if there is an issue, the vendor I bought from will take care of it.

Iraqgunz
07-29-12, 19:39
Normally I would shut this down as it makes no real sense. However, I will say this.

When buying a barrel you will need to rely solely on the reputation the person selling it. If it isn't somethin good like Colt, LaRue or Noveske or a good BCM offering, don't waste your time.

Chances are that you don't have the proper tools and gages to check the barrel. If it's some 1/9 twist run of the mill crap, it makes even less sense.

I purchased a pulled off Colt 6920 barrel here on the E&E for a fair price. I cut down the FSB and installed it under a Centurion rail. So far it has proven to be extremely accurate and 100% in function. I alos had the gages to check the barrel once I got it.

ridgerunner70
07-29-12, 20:08
When using the gauge; what exactly are you gauging? If I have purchased a well respected barrel and buy a bolt that has been headspaced for that barrel from the same dealer when installing on the upper are u good to go or is there other checks to be made?

MistWolf
07-29-12, 21:07
The gauges are to check for throat and muzzle erosion

Iraqgunz
07-29-12, 21:16
Correct, the bore erosion gage, the straightness gage would be the mimimum. I always check headspace regardless.

The gauges are to check for throat and muzzle erosion

bsem
07-30-12, 21:53
I don't know that brand new barrels are expensive enough to warrant buying a used barrel to save money.

I recently bought a brand new Blackhole Weaponry barrel for $229 and it came with a stripped upper receiver.

It's stainless (finished in some type of melonite or some other black coating), 1:8 and mid-length. Look around for deals like that before buying something used.

http://www.surplusammo.com/product_images/a/651/BHW_16_HBAR_MID_GAS_2_33953_zoom__67627_zoom.JPG

Iraqgunz
07-30-12, 22:00
What are the specs of the Blackhole barrel? HP/MPI?

I don't know that brand new barrels are expensive enough to warrant buying a used barrel to save money.

I recently bought a brand new Blackhole Weaponry barrel for $229 and it came with a stripped upper receiver.

It's stainless (finished in some type of melonite or some other black coating), 1:8 and mid-length. Look around for deals like that before buying something used.

http://www.surplusammo.com/product_images/a/651/BHW_16_HBAR_MID_GAS_2_33953_zoom__67627_zoom.JPG

bsem
07-30-12, 22:18
After you said that I didn't think so since I got it for that price, Iraqgunz, but I looked it up and evidently it does.

Caliber: 5.56x45mm (NATO)
Barrel Length: 16" H-Bar Profile
Gas System: Mid-Length
Barrel Material: 416 Stainless Steel
Barrel Finish: Matte Black
Rifling: 1:8 Polygonal 3 groove
M4 feed ramp is included
Under Handguard: 0.88 inches
In front of gas block: 0.73 inches
Threading (TPI): 1/2x28"
Weight: 2.2lbs
Magnetic particle inspections and other non-destructive testing performed on barrels by manufacturer

So I don't know exactly what the other tests are but it's at least magnetic particle tested.

dansrice
07-30-12, 22:25
from there web site:
Product Development and Testing:

:: Our quest is to provide the best products we can and not miss an opportunity to learn along the way.
:: We purchase certified material and keep certifications on file.
:: We record material lot numbers and track each piece of steel through the entire manufacturing process.
:: We mark each barrel near the extension with our name, the lot number and the inspectors stamp.
:: We perform magnetic particle inspections and other non-destructive testing
:: We randomly employ destructive testing methods

dansrice
07-30-12, 22:42
i am on a tight budget right know and i don't know if a new barrel is worth the money when i want to train with the AR plate from. i know there are many options and new is NEW which seems good but i wonder? i don't know for sure but. what about pat rogers dirty #14, a rifle with about 14000 rounds and still shoots very good. well enough that its still used to teach.

polymorpheous
07-30-12, 22:52
i am on a tight budget right know and i don't know if a new barrel is worth the money when i want to train with the AR plate from. i know there are many options and new is NEW which seems good but i wonder? i don't know for sure but. what about pat rogers dirty #14, a rifle with about 14000 rounds and still shoots very good. well enough that its still used to teach.

Try over 44,000 rounds on that particular upper.

dansrice
07-30-12, 23:28
wow......