PDA

View Full Version : My First AR

Dkillett
07-29-12, 20:13
First off I would like to thank the members of this forum for all the different perspectives they give. I have spent almost a month just reading and learning. I have been thinking about getting an AR for quite some time and my friend told me about this site.

About 2 weeks ago I shot my first AR and was instantly hooked. I had to have one, LOL. My longtime friend let me shoot his mid-length BCM.

Originally I was going to go with a Colt LE6920 with MOE Furniture.

After shooting the BCM I decided to look into them and see what I could come up with.

Basically, unless someone here can give me a good reason not to, I plan on ordering a BCM mid-length from G and R Tactical this week.

Its pretty much the standard rifle to which I am adding the following options:

Magpul MOE Grip
Magpul STR Stock
Daniel Defense 9.0 Omega Rail
Magpul MBUS

Total price comes out to $1411 plus shipping and transfer fee.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

The_Hunter
07-29-12, 20:42
You should be good to go.

kml9705
07-29-12, 21:08
I went with a BCM middy after finding this site and I couldn't be happier. I'm very glad that I found this site, I had a stag ordered and after reading here I canceled the order, did some more research and decided to go with the BCM.

Warp
07-29-12, 21:12
Basically, unless someone here can give me a good reason not to, I plan on ordering a BCM mid-length from G and R Tactical this week.

This...will not happen.

Do it. Do it now. :)

NeoNeanderthal
07-29-12, 21:25
To be honest dude, i would not get the rail. I was in your same position 2 years ago and went with the MOE hand-guard. After shooting for a year i knew enough to know what type of rail i wanted, and went with a 13" free-float tube, because PERSONALLY i didn't need the quad rail. and i wanted a longer rail to get my hand further out on (something that was lacking with the moe)You, I'm sure, will come to different conclusions....but the 40 dollar moe guard allows you to come to your own conclusions and not buy twice. If i hadn't shot the moe for a while i never would have realized that i did indeed need/want a longer hand-guard.

With that being said your rail is a nice one, and if you don't like it i'm sure you can sell it with minimal loss.

Get yourself a good sling, optic, and light and your ready to roll.

lunchbox
07-29-12, 21:35
Welcome to the forum. Whats the primary use for gun? The reason I ask is if you got MOE hand guard first (hold on now dont start cussin) You would have cash for quality optic, then upgrade to DD Omega rail later on. Either way ya cant go wrong with BCM.

Dkillett
07-29-12, 22:01
Welcome to the forum. Whats the primary use for gun? The reason I ask is if you got MOE hand guard first (hold on now dont start cussin) You would have cash for quality optic, then upgrade to DD Omega rail later on. Either way ya cant go wrong with BCM.

Basically it will just be used for Target shooting. Not much of a hunter, so it probably won't be used for that. Of course it will be good for a SHTF situation.

As for the MOE Hand guard, I almost went that route. I still might. Only problem is G and R doesn't have the MOE mid-length hand guard in black.

If I were to order the gun without the hand guard, and purchase the hand guard elsewhere, how difficult is it to install?

Thanks

lunchbox
07-29-12, 22:10
Basically it will just be used for Target shooting. Not much of a hunter, so it probably won't be used for that. Of course it will be good for a SHTF situation.

As for the MOE Hand guard, I almost went that route. I still might. Only problem is G and R doesn't have the MOE mid-length hand guard in black.

If I were to order the gun without the hand guard, and purchase the hand guard elsewhere, how difficult is it to install?

ThanksThis would be a good thing to sharpen teeth on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLvirSprEs
**EDIT this a better vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3PzO_Hd6qo&feature=related

Warp
07-29-12, 22:11

Thanks

You can get the MOE hand guard from a lot of other sources very easily if you like.

Split66
07-29-12, 22:14
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Get gun. Shoot the piss out of said gun.

M-FOURTEEN
07-29-12, 23:25
Welcome to the AR world. Once you go black, you never go back!

maddawg5777
07-30-12, 00:43

Thanks

These take all of 30 seconds to install.

Warp
07-30-12, 00:46

Thanks

I missed this earlier. It's been covered, but I'll repeat it...very easy. I did it with little trouble, and I don't know jack squat about working on rifles. No tools at all, either, for removing a basic handguard and installing an MOE handguard

Mr Elbowseed
07-30-12, 00:59
These take all of 30 seconds to install.

The delta ring can be a PITA but as he said its not time consuming or difficult

polymorpheous
07-30-12, 01:09
Skip the rail and put that money towards an Aimpoint.

lunchbox
07-30-12, 01:28
Skip the rail and put that money towards an Aimpoint.+1 Thats what I was getting at in first place. If plan on using in any way as fightin/shft gun get the Aimpoint.

sdcromer
07-31-12, 21:00

Agreed

seb5
07-31-12, 21:36
If given the choice of the middie BCM or the Colt I'll take the BCM. Agree on the MOE and Aimpoint PRO. A good all around AR needs a sling, flashlight, and red dot sight, in that order if used for defense. After a couple thousand rounds you can look at rails, triggers, stocks, grips, etc. and know what you need or want.

rob_s
08-01-12, 05:02

Skip the rail and put that money towards training.

You don't have a tool suitable for "shtf" if you don't know how to use it.

BigLarge
08-01-12, 05:33
Skip the rail and put that money towards training.

You don't have a tool suitable for "shtf" if you don't know how to use it.

agreed!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

Dkillett
08-01-12, 20:07
I ordered the BCM yesterday. While everyone has made some great points, and I do thank each and every one of you for your opinions, I decided to get the gun as I had it in my original post.

The CTR stock was OOS so I went with the B5 SOPMOD instead.
I did get the quad rail. And I wanted a vertical grip so after a lot of research went with the Troy modular vertical grip.

I totally agree that an optic and training are both high on my priority list, but the bank account can only handle so much at one time.

Again, thanks for all the help and I will update as soon as the rifle comes in.:D

rob_s
08-02-12, 05:24
I totally agree that an optic and training are both high on my priority list, but the bank account can only handle so much at one time.

which, of course, was entirely the reason people were suggesting not spending money on things you don't have any way of knowing if you'll actually use or not.

Dkillett
08-02-12, 08:15
which, of course, was entirely the reason people were suggesting not spending money on things you don't have any way of knowing if you'll actually use or not.

I see your point, but does everything have to all be done at once?

As for the quad rail. I like the one my friend has on his, which was pretty much the reason I went with the same one on mine. Like someone else stated, if I don't like it, I can easily sell it.

With my birthday and the holidays not too far off, this gives me some time with the rifle to get a better idea of what will work for me. Also puts a whole new spin on what to tell people to get me for said bday, and around Christmas time.

I feel as if I made the right decision for me. While some may say that they would have done things different, I couldn't agree more.

That's whats so great about having choices. Everyone make a different one.

JackFanToM
08-02-12, 08:29
I got a BCM from Grant - love the rifle, service was excellent, I went with the 9" larue hand guard

rob_s
08-02-12, 10:15
I see your point, but does everything have to all be done at once?

As for the quad rail. I like the one my friend has on his, which was pretty much the reason I went with the same one on mine. Like someone else stated, if I don't like it, I can easily sell it.

With my birthday and the holidays not too far off, this gives me some time with the rifle to get a better idea of what will work for me. Also puts a whole new spin on what to tell people to get me for said bday, and around Christmas time.

I feel as if I made the right decision for me. While some may say that they would have done things different, I couldn't agree more.

That's whats so great about having choices. Everyone make a different one.

If you can't afford training, because budget is so tight, what are you going to be doing between now and then to figure out if it works for you or not?

Sure, you can sell it. But if you wait long enough with the way everyone in this market chases (and pushes) MOAR! you're not going to get near what you paid for it.

I don't really expect you, or anyone else in your shoes, to "get it". I didn't when I was in your shoes, and I made the same mistakes. Most people never even get beyond it or are willing to admit they made mistakes at all, ever, and instead just cling feebly to their bad choices made in ignorance.

I post what I post because every so often there's someone that understands that I'm trying to save them money and headaches. Take the advice or leave it, no sweat off my balls either way, but IMO your stated goals don't mesh with your actions.

Norman
08-02-12, 10:53
Your advice was good but he’s already made his decision and his purchase. By continuing to harp on it, you look like you’re just upset because someone didn’t do what you told them to.

Airhasz
08-02-12, 15:52
Plus, lots of times you hear "shoot the iron sights till you learn them and then get optics...but it's easy to see Rob's point, he could of had hand guards and the aim point and been gtg.

Dkillett
08-02-12, 21:19
If you can't afford training, because budget is so tight, what are you going to be doing between now and then to figure out if it works for you or not?

Sure, you can sell it. But if you wait long enough with the way everyone in this market chases (and pushes) MOAR! you're not going to get near what you paid for it.

I don't really expect you, or anyone else in your shoes, to "get it". I didn't when I was in your shoes, and I made the same mistakes. Most people never even get beyond it or are willing to admit they made mistakes at all, ever, and instead just cling feebly to their bad choices made in ignorance.

I post what I post because every so often there's someone that understands that I'm trying to save them money and headaches. Take the advice or leave it, no sweat off my balls either way, but IMO your stated goals don't mesh with your actions.

And you are entitled to your opinions just like everyone on this site. Just because I didn't do it the way you think I should have done it does not make my choices wrong. It just means that we look at things differently.

I think I bought an awesome rifle. I agree that many people would have gone about it in a different way.

Will I add accessories (optic) to it as time goes along, Yes.

Will I get some training to help me use the rifle better and learn a lot of things, Yes.

Will I make some mistakes along the way, absolutely.

Will it all happen right now, No.

I do live on a budget, like many others on here I'm sure. Accessories and training will come in time. Just because I'm not getting the optic and training right now doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

I can certainly understand your point as to not wanting people to make mistakes that you may have made or seen others make. That makes 100% sense to me.

I'm not on here to bash anyone or stir up shit with people. I have learned a lot from the short time I have been on here, and I will continue to learn going forward.

MegademiC
08-02-12, 23:01
Rob trains a shit-ton. He's not just "some member". Take his advice a little more heavily than other black-letter members. My view on things anyways.

Hes not saying you made a bad descision or "scolding" you. Hes just saying that you're new to the ar-shooting scene and dont know what you want - but you think you do - like we all do when we are new. You may be happy with the 9", you may prefer a moe handguard and aimpoint for the same price, you might want a 12". Thats why everyone suggests buying a stock m4, then shootings ks of rounds to find out if you need a ff, longer handguard, scope/rds, foregrip/bare HG, more training, etc. shooting/training is 90%(abitrary) of it - accessories are the rest and you dont know what helps you till you shed some lead.

That said, you got a DD rail, which means if you want a longer rail, you can get a 12" and install it easily. They are on the EE often enough. And you can probably sell the 9" if needed, for a reasonable price.

Congrats on the new purcase - you bought quality from the gate so you are ahead of almost everyone who buys sub-par then gets better stuff down the road. Now its time to save up for training! Good luck and stay safe!

Edward78
08-03-12, 18:58
The Ar is a great rifle platform you will be hooked now and never regret it :)

TehLlama
08-06-12, 00:54
And you are entitled to your opinions just like everyone on this site. Just because I didn't do it the way you think I should have done it does not make my choices wrong. It just means that we look at things differently.

I think I bought an awesome rifle. I agree that many people would have gone about it in a different way.

Will I get some training to help me use the rifle better and learn a lot of things, Yes.

I do live on a budget, like many others on here I'm sure. Accessories and training will come in time. Just because I'm not getting the optic and training right now doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

I can certainly understand your point as to not wanting people to make mistakes that you may have made or seen others make. That makes 100% sense to me.

I'm not on here to bash anyone or stir up shit with people. I have learned a lot from the short time I have been on here, and I will continue to learn going forward.

For most, it does actually make more sense to get a fair amount of hardware in hand before training really seems to feel like a priority, all Rob is harping on is the usual tendency to get some hardware, take it out to the range once, fire a couple magazines, and then use that as the direction to start buying hundreds of dollars of aftermarket stuff. I've done it, and it gets expensive the moment you discover you didn't magically guess the right parts for you based on a sample size of one range trip.

If you can budget towards having all of the following: a quality rifle, a decent red dot sight, a weaponlight, a good sling, some good ammunition, half a dozen quality magazines, and some training; you'll be set. The RDS and weaponlight can be optional, but to be effective you'll have to train more to work around that limitation using irons and a tertiary light - for most, it's cheaper AND more effective to start out with something like an Aimpoint PRO and well mounted SureFire in order to maximize the improvements made in training at first.

lunchbox
08-06-12, 01:36

I'm not on here to bash anyone or stir up shit with people. I have learned a lot from the short time I have been on here, and I will continue to learn going forward.Ya know thats what alot of people do anyway,no worries:D. The thought of a picture perfect AR can be too much. I also have no doubt after a couple of range trips you'll start to understand the rifle/art there in(what people are sayn), and want to increase skill, confidence, and ability; and youll be in a training class ASAP. So get out there and shoot it as much as possible see what works and doesnt. And take the fact rob_s took interest in you as a complement (BTW we really dont candy coat things around here, not mean just blunt).