PDA

View Full Version : CMMG dissipator?

duece71
07-29-12, 22:18
Whilst at the grocery store, perusing the mag rack, I happen upon a gun mag showing what looks like a dissipator set up. I open the mag (I can't remember which one, the AR in question is on the front cover) and read about CMMG VTS Elite dissipator. Midlength Gas system. Was the original Bush version a carbine length gas system?

newguy
07-30-12, 00:50
AS FAR AS I know it was Bm.I;VE been looking to find another dissy I LOVE MY BM but its h-bar not fun to practice with.Id bee a little worried about the CMMG thing; IVE HEARD BAD THING ON HERE ABOUT RIFLE GAS SYSTEMS ON 16IN BARRELS. I SAW ADCO HAD A NICE DISSY ON THERE WEB SITE. IVE BEEN TALKING TO A WELL KNOWN GUNSMITM IN MY AREA .HE SAID HE COULD GET ABOUT ANY BARREL BLANCK HE WANTED OR EVEN I COULD FIND ONE OF MY CHOISE MOSTLY A H BAR I THINK SO HE WILL BE ABLE TO MACHINE IT TO THE CORRECT TOLORENCES. IM STUCK ON A FIXED SITE BASE,PLUS I REALLY LIKE THE ROOM YOU GET WITH A RIFLE LENGTH RAIL.

MrSmitty
07-30-12, 11:31
^ That post almost gave me an aneurism. Make sure to turn the caps lock off next time...

badness
07-30-12, 16:32
AS FAR AS I know it was Bm.I;VE been looking to find another dissy I LOVE MY BM but its h-bar not fun to practice with.Id bee a little worried about the CMMG thing; IVE HEARD BAD THING ON HERE ABOUT RIFLE GAS SYSTEMS ON 16IN BARRELS. I SAW ADCO HAD A NICE DISSY ON THERE WEB SITE. IVE BEEN TALKING TO A WELL KNOWN GUNSMITM IN MY AREA .HE SAID HE COULD GET ABOUT ANY BARREL BLANCK HE WANTED OR EVEN I COULD FIND ONE OF MY CHOISE MOSTLY A H BAR I THINK SO HE WILL BE ABLE TO MACHINE IT TO THE CORRECT TOLORENCES. IM STUCK ON A FIXED SITE BASE,PLUS I REALLY LIKE THE ROOM YOU GET WITH A RIFLE LENGTH RAIL.

You....need to learn to use the shift key instead of hitting caps lock. I don't necessarily have a problem with people posting in all caps, but this is just ridiculous.

duece71
07-30-12, 19:44
Ok guys, it looks like CMMG product has a midlength system which could possibly be an improvement, correct? I am not familiar with CMMGs products (if they made magazines then I probably have one or 2) so some research will have to be done.

Merle
07-30-12, 19:45
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/7986225037/8382986/6697bc34a864ea4710968886f91108f9.jpgI thought dissipator barrels had a micro gas block on a carbine length gas system and that the fsb is just pinned in the rifle length position for the increased sight radius only? The gas tube isn't even connected to the fsb.

Tommel
07-30-12, 19:51
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/7986225037/8382986/6697bc34a864ea4710968886f91108f9.jpgI thought dissipator barrels had a micro gas block on a carbine length gas system and that the fsb is just pinned in the rifle length position for the increased sight radius only? The gas tube isn't even connected to the fsb.

It isn't in the PSA version that I have. Mine is a midlength

-Tom

Merle
07-30-12, 19:59
It isn't in the PSA version that I have. Mine is a midlength

-Tom

Ok but it still is using a fsb pinned at the length of a rifle gas system? Same concept just executed differently.

a0cake
07-30-12, 20:23
I am not familiar with CMMGs products (if they made magazines then I probably have one or 2) so some research will have to be done.

Worst. Barrels. Ever. I had a CMMG upper a long time ago. I think it came with a full choke, or maybe it was a modified? :D Seriously, it wouldn't shoot for shit.

Then more recently, one of my dumbass friends bought one, and it was the same deal. The bore was clearly drilled off axis, I mean, this thing was ugly. Called ADCO about it; they said CMMG barrels are consistently the worst they see out of all the manufacturers.

I wouldn't recommend screwing around with them.

Iraqgunz
07-30-12, 21:25
Considering how important the barrel is, you need to ask yourself if having a piece of shit CMMG barrel is worth it.

duece71
07-30-12, 21:28
Well, that settles that then. I am going to steer clear and wait for BCM to build a version.

RD62
07-30-12, 21:38

Several things are wrong with this whole thread.

First, the post above hurts my head. I'm not usually a grammar Nazi or care much about forum etiquette, but sweet baby Jesus, some basic spelling and punctuation would be nice and much easier to read.

Secondly, please educate me. I've seen two threads on dissipators today. What the hell is the point? Back in the day, I kind of got the concept, longer sight radius on a shorter carbine barrel. But with the advent of the midlength gas system, what is the point now? What advantage do these have? It seems like more parts, more weight, more assembly, etc to still retain the harsher carbine length system.

I'm obviously missing something here....

rob_s
07-31-12, 04:54
The BCM, if it's ever released, will have a mid-length, for those that think it matters.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BCM/BCMlwta2dissypencilprofile.jpg

SMETNA
07-31-12, 05:07

If that's true, that's retarded.

Plenty of folks make a 13" - 15" free float rail

rob_s
07-31-12, 05:41
If that's true, that's retarded.

Plenty of folks make a 13" - 15" free float rail

What does one thing have to do with another?

Using a slave GB under the handguard has been the definition of the Dissipator for years.

Wolvee
07-31-12, 08:29
The BCM, if it's ever released, will have a mid-length, for those that think it matters.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BCM/BCMlwta2dissypencilprofile.jpg

I'm a little confused by the sizes of all the components. What I've wanted for a long time is a Midlength gas system combined with an A2 rifle length fore grip with an A2 front sight post and a 14.5" barrel. welded FH out to 16.5

Is that the dimensions and configuration that a midlength Dizzy would have? I'm unclear on the actual barrel length.

wahoo95
07-31-12, 09:03
I'm a little confused by the sizes of all the components. What I've wanted for a long time is a Midlength gas system combined with an A2 rifle length fore grip with an A2 front sight post and a 14.5" barrel. welded FH out to 16.5

Is that the dimensions and configuration that a midlength Dizzy would have? I'm unclear on the actual barrel length.

Dissy has 16" barrel and either Carbine or Middy gas. Mine is a Spikes Middy Dissy with 16" Lightweight barrel that is a dream to shoot.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_5623.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rob_s
07-31-12, 13:19

I'm not positive that a 14.5" barrel with A2 FSB will work.

Everything in my picture is a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas. Top is an A1 profile, middle is an A2 profile, bottom is an A2 profile Dissipator. All BCM.

Shiz
07-31-12, 16:21
Rob, what would make BCM not do a dissy? sounds like you have a little info...if you don't mind me asking.

rob_s
07-31-12, 16:24
Rob, what would make BCM not do a dissy? sounds like you have a little info...if you don't mind me asking.

They did a few, like the one I have, as T&E samples but I think they are just so backed up with other projects and the labor to assemble them is higher so they aren't a priority. Just my guess, I don't work for them.

They sent me the one I have specifically for an article I wrote where I took a basic carbine course, Randy Cain Carbine 1, with iron sights and I thought the Dissipator configuration was well suited to that application.

badness
07-31-12, 16:35
I'm not positive that a 14.5" barrel with A2 FSB will work.

Everything in my picture is a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas. Top is an A1 profile, middle is an A2 profile, bottom is an A2 profile Dissipator. All BCM.

Why wouldn't it work? Seems to me it would, except you'd have to use an odd rail length like 10".

rob_s
07-31-12, 17:01
Why wouldn't it work? Seems to me it would, except you'd have to use an odd rail length like 10".

Where are you planning on putting the A2? At the normal rifle location or further back?

If you're just going to use a ff hand guard anyway just out the sit on that and stop chasing minutiae that gains you nothing tangible.

SMETNA
07-31-12, 18:51
What does one thing have to do with another?

Because if longer sight radius is what you're after, a long rail and a fixed sight will accomplish the same thing. And you wouldn't need to have a stupid pinned fake FSB

IYAAYASwarrior
07-31-12, 18:58
:D Exactly what I was thinking...

^ That post almost gave me an aneurism. Make sure to turn the caps lock off next time...

Dissipators use a rifle length gas system and a carbine length barrel. I DON'T have experience with them but from what I understand they are unreliable because of the severely decreased dwell time.

wahoo95
07-31-12, 19:05
Because if longer sight radius is what you're after, a long rail and a fixed sight will accomplish the same thing. And you wouldn't need to have a stupid pinned fake FSB

Most that are in the know feel a pinned FSB is a much more solid setup than a fixed front sight screwed onto a free float handguard.

munch520
07-31-12, 19:49
Dissipators use a rifle length gas system and a carbine length barrel.

What?

MrSmitty
07-31-12, 20:06
What?

That was my interpretation of what a dissipator setup consisted of based on what I've read here and there over the years. I've never paid that much attention to them because they didn't fill any requirements of mine. I pulled the trigger a little too soon with my response, probably a result of my CAPS induced brain fart...

I guess you learn something new everyday :blink: I retract my previous post so no misinformation is passed...

munch520
07-31-12, 20:15
Gotcha! No worries - I was just confused

badness
07-31-12, 20:38
That was my interpretation of what a dissipator setup consisted of based on what I've read here and there over the years. I've never paid that much attention to them because they didn't fill any requirements of mine. I pulled the trigger a little too soon with my response, probably a result of my CAPS induced brain fart...

I guess you learn something new everyday :blink: I retract my previous post so no misinformation is passed...

you weren't entirely incorrect about that. People did use 20" barrels with rifle length gas systems and then cut the barrel down to 16" while still keeping the rifle length gas system. Obviously there were a lot of problems with dwell time until someone came up with the idea of what a dissipator is today with an fsb used in conjunction with a low pro gas block.

Where are you planning on putting the A2? At the normal rifle location or further back?

If you're just going to use a ff hand guard anyway just out the sit on that and stop chasing minutiae that gains you nothing tangible.

I'm not saying it'd be the best idea. I'm saying it can be done.

MrSmitty
07-31-12, 20:51
you weren't entirely incorrect about that. People did use 20" barrels with rifle length gas systems and then cut the barrel down to 16" while still keeping the rifle length gas system. Obviously there were a lot of problems with dwell time until someone came up with the idea of what a dissipator is today with an fsb used in conjunction with a low pro gas block.

I thought I remembered reading about a shit ton of dwell time issues with them, that's why I never saw them as having any practical use. I never even gave the setup a thought, or connected it, when BCM came out with the Kino.

rob_s
08-02-12, 05:20

You're still not making any sense.

IMO the Dissipator concept is a little outdated as they came from a time when there were few, if any, flattop uppers and virtually no free float hand guards like we're used to seeing today. Given the restriction of iron sights and CAR or A2 hand guards, the Dissipator made a lot of sense.

However, a pinned-on FSB is going to be stronger and less likely to fail than a bolted-on FSB attached to a free-float hand guard. For people that want the security of a pinned-on FSB the Dissipator (or the Kino, for those wanting a 12.5" barrel) makes a lot of sense. And while it may be heavier than many free-float setups, it will be lighter than others by the time people add rails or rail covers, and it will always be less expensive to put $40 hand guards on instead of a $200+ free-float and a $100+ clamp-on front sight.

All of that said, I don't think I'd get all assed up about trying to cobble together a 14.5" version, although apparently that was all an exercise in "well, you could" anyway.

SMETNA
08-02-12, 07:29
Makes sense I guess. I'd never rock one, but more power to ya!

duglasfur
08-02-12, 15:35
Like The Shiz, I have a Spikes Middy Dissy and couldn't be happier.

The kick is noticeably more gentle with the mid'length GB compared to my LW ER Shaw Carbine upper.

IMHO, the Spikes trigger in the STANDARD LPK feels like a spring trigger in an cheap AirSoft rifle.

And, I am taking Randy Cain's Carbine 1 course in October...I was glad to hear this is the right tool to hone those skills :-)

AZSUNDEVIL
08-02-12, 23:07
Most that are in the know feel a pinned FSB is a much more solid setup than a fixed front sight screwed onto a free float handguard.

Wouldn't a handguard-mounted front sight also be subject to POA/POI inconsistencies as compared to a barrel-mounted FSB? I've handled carbines where I could shift the handguard just by squeezing the HG and the barrel together between two fingers. It seems to me that resting a free-floated handguard on different surfaces and gripping it in different ways could cause it to shift to different degrees and alter the relationship between the front and rear sights.

Or am I overthinking this? :o

MegademiC
08-02-12, 23:17
Just because there seems to be some confusion:

A dissipator was first made by bushmaster 16" barrel carbine gas with rifle length handguards.

Now some people have them with midlength gas systems such as BCM apparently soon-coming out dissy, ADCO has a nice one currently(probably the only dissipator I'd buy right now), and some people just cut a 20" down to 16" - which can work but they tend to be finicky.

That said, the point I believe rob_s is trying to make is that these days, irons are backup. A dissy with an aimpoint is heavier than a ff middy with an aimpiont - and for a good one its more expensive since they are custom from high end manufactures. If you want an iron sight gun than yes, dissy has more radius than a midlength, but whats the tradeoff? Is it worth it?

Wouldn't a handguard-mounted front sight also be subject to POA/POI inconsistencies as compared to a barrel-mounted FSB? I've handled carbines where I could shift the handguard just by squeezing the HG and the barrel together between two fingers. It seems to me that resting a free-floated handguard on different surfaces and gripping it in different ways could cause it to shift to different degrees and alter the relationship between the front and rear sights.

Or am I overthinking this? :o

Technically, yes. But IIRC its negligeble, especially when compared to a non ff HG. Bending the barrel changes the angle of the bullets path. a ff will change poa, but bullet is still straight and the dfference is very small. If you want to get technical -a barrel isnt ff from an ar as its attatched to barrel nut which holds the barrel, but the poi is so small we (as humans) cant tell the difference.

peabody
11-07-12, 22:05
i myself have a rifle gas dissy...20" barrel cutt to 16"..
just for the record..it runs perfect..i haven't had any problems at all.
its a smooth shooter.
peabody