PDA

View Full Version : 3 Arrested at Oak Ridge Weapons Storage Facility

mnoe82
07-30-12, 14:57
An 82 year old Nun, a 63 and 57 year old man arrested defacing and trespassing at what is rumored to be one of the most secure sites in the country, the Oak Ridge Nuclear Weapons Storage Site.

http://www.oakridger.com/newsnow/x111270429/3-arrested-for-trespassing-at-Y-12-nuclear-site

Link fixed

Cincinnatus
07-30-12, 14:59
Link doesn't work

mnoe82
07-30-12, 15:20
Fixed the link. Thanks

Mauser KAR98K
07-30-12, 17:32
I shoot competition over there (I try) at least once a month. last time I was over there, there was scuttlebutt of a new law being brawn up that stated anyone seen trespassing on a nuclear facility could be stopped , or shot by a regular citizen in order to protect the facility. AGAIN, Scuttlebutt.

Either way, these tree people, hippies are going away for a long time.

And how the hell can three people, not in their prime, break in and get this close to a nuclear storage facility...and still be alive, after 9/11 and all?

07-30-12, 18:32
Went on a ride up there with friends one time while attending UT(Go Vols!). Took a wrong turn and we were staring down a tank barrel. Don't know if was exercise day, training day, etc. but there were also about 10 guys in BDU's with loaded M-16's. We turned around quickfast and got the **** outta' there.

mnoe82
07-30-12, 22:03
And how the hell can three people, not in their prime, break in and get this close to a nuclear storage facility...and still be alive, after 9/11 and all?

This is what really got my attention. 3 AARP members can breach their security. What would a dozen motivated young men be able to do?

I came to the gate for a delivery not long ago which was flanked on either side with hummers. Both had MA-Deuces manned and aimed at the oncoming vehicles. It seems as they are expecting a vehicle born assault. Maybe they will reevaluate their security threats after this.

Also mentioned in the article is a proposed cut in security. Tin foil hat says maybe they let them in knowing they weren't an actual threat in terms of stealing a nuke or something crazy. Just enough to scare the public into increasing their security funding. Again, tin foil hat but not too far out of reach?

Armati
08-01-12, 18:27
You guys ever met any DOE security?

mnoe82
08-01-12, 20:20

Nope. Just the guys who have checked the deliveries at the entrances.

buzz_knox
08-01-12, 20:27

Define "security.". Do you mean the hard chargers ex-mil who have the cool toys and the training/dedication to go with the toys, or the Wackenhut contractors who range from good to "most likely to have an ND in the guard tower"?

Oak Ridge has changed a lot since the Cold War ended and not for the better. After 9/11 it's often been security theater rather than real security.

CarlosDJackal
08-03-12, 11:11
They need to hire these Geriatricians to form a Red Cell unit. :blink:

NWPilgrim
08-03-12, 13:16
Sounds like TSA is managing the facility security. Lots of big show but leaks all over the place. Oh wait, TSA and DOE both report to the same traitorous crime boss. Never mind.

Reagans Rascals
08-03-12, 13:22
I'm just glad Red Jacket gave those guys the tools to get the job done... mainly their one of kind Spikes Piston Powered M4 with special Hydraulic Buffer ... :suicide:

jhs1969
08-04-12, 00:37
Define "security.". Do you mean the hard chargers ex-mil who have the cool toys and the training/dedication to go with the toys, or the Wackenhut contractors who range from good to "most likely to have an ND in the guard tower"?

Oak Ridge has changed a lot since the Cold War ended and not for the better. After 9/11 it's often been security theater rather than real security.

A lot has defintely changed. I've been out of touch on their situation for several years, other than Wackenhut taking over security I haven't heard much in awhile.

There was a time when rumor had it that if their security did not improve the feds were going to step in and handle it for themselves. I used to be close to someone who worked there, apparently in one incident someone in security had a ND with a vehicle mounted belt fed, none of the workers were allowed to leave at shift change until every loosed round had been accounted for.

Another interesting rumor had it that the SEALS used be brought in to infiltrate the facility in order to test their security.

Again most of this is rumor but it is interesting.

Armati
08-04-12, 12:18

My point.

I know a few guys who do this work. DOE security tends to either be an older fatter ex-mil guy who can't qualify for other agencies or who want a static security gig, or younger hotdogs who didn't get hired at some other Federal agency. In other words, we don't have the best and brightest guarding the nukes. This incident speaks for it's self - just sayin'....

Reagans Rascals
08-04-12, 15:42
My point.

I know a few guys who do this work. DOE security tends to either be an older fatter ex-mil guy who can't qualify for other agencies or who want a static security gig, or younger hotdogs who didn't get hired at some other Federal agency. In other words, we don't have the best and brightest guarding the nukes. This incident speaks for it's self - just sayin'....

I was under the impression that the Y-12 guys were some of the best CQB guys out there, mostly former specwar and Tier 1 guys...

jhs1969
08-04-12, 17:15
I was under the impression that the Y-12 guys were some of the best CQB guys out there, mostly former specwar and Tier 1 guys...

No, I've known a couple. I'd venture a guess that more than half of the membership here, or more, is more in touch than these guys. Not that they are idiots or anything but they just see it as a "job". Like most armed agencies, I'm sure they have their number of gun guys but the bulk are just "locals". At least that is my impression from a lifetime in the area.

Mauser KAR98K
08-05-12, 03:38
...Did you say...WACKENHUT?

Spiffums
08-05-12, 04:13
I shoot competition over there (I try) at least once a month. last time I was over there, there was scuttlebutt of a new law being brawn up that stated anyone seen trespassing on a nuclear facility could be stopped , or shot by a regular citizen in order to protect the facility. AGAIN, Scuttlebutt.

Either way, these tree people, hippies are going away for a long time.

You miss one match and out of the gossip loop!!! I haven't heard this one yet.

Spiffums
08-05-12, 04:16
When my uncle worked as a guard for Y12 and K25 they were mostly ex Mil MPs. That's about all the hired. I took the wrong turn one time trying to come the back way into Oak Ridge. Saw I was in the wrong spot, rolled up to the shack told the guard I had got in the wrong lane. He said it happens alot just circle and have good day.

11B101ABN
08-05-12, 10:43
My take is that the were allowed to penetrate and proceed a certain distance before being interdicted. I believe that a threat assesment was made and found to be low to non existent and that on site security acted in accordance with the level of the threat.

BrigandTwoFour
08-15-12, 23:00
I held off on talking about this one until I could get more information. Since I work with nuclear weapons, I didn't want to say anything too early.

First off, this shouldn't have happened. But, frankly, I'm not surprised with the way funding has gone for the nuclear enterprise in the years since the end of the cold war.

My experiences with ICBMs has shown me that security measures are tailored to the expected threat. Nuclear missile silos are actually rather easy to get onto- just cut the fence. The system is not designed to completely stop you from getting into the area, it's designed to delay you long enough for someone else to make you stop. Actually getting into the silo is a whole new class of difficult, something that requires a lot more than just cutting a fence.

Defenses also get tailored to the expected threat. I think everyone at Y-12 was probably expecting an attack to come in the form of a truck barreling through the gates or fence in an effort to either deliver a large bomb or steal fissile material. Three senior citizens don't pose much of a threat, other than being embarrassing.

What happened at Y-12, to me, speaks of complacency. Articles I've read mention that intrusion sensors were tripped, and alarms triggered, but the response was a single guard to go look. That is probably due to it usually being some stray animal or other false alarm. Cameras were in place, but either nonfunctioning or not steerable. I'm sure that if the three had actually attempted to enter the storage building, we would be having a very different conversation about three dead protestors (but still wondering how they got that far without being caught).

I know of other areas in the Oak Ridge facilities that have security measures that are not to be trifled with, as they will use lethal force without question. But I've never been there, I can't say one way or the other.

feedramp
08-15-12, 23:24
Let's be thankful it wasn't a significant threat and hope that they adjust to make protection measures more effective.