PDA

View Full Version : If proper quality control prevails... This could be good for SIG lovers. M11-A1

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 15:07
http://sigsauer.com/m11-a1/

I think it looks good, and I've heard good things about the Mk. 25.

Lets hope SIG can hold back from ****ing this up. Again.

The SIG Logo on the slide is obnoxious though.

KCBRUIN
07-30-12, 15:21
Is that just a 229 with a UID label?

Edit: I see 228 on the grips. I like it, but they can keep the engraved NASCAR hood sponsor logo off the gun please.

Snake Plissken
07-30-12, 15:30
Is that just a 229 with a UID label?

Edit: I see 228 on the grips. I like it, but they can keep the engraved NASCAR hood sponsor logo off the gun please.

Yep, P228.

Complete with H&K level pricing, Exeter quality craftsmanship, and genuine Sig gimmicky bull shit. I'm not sure why people buy new Sigs but it may have something to do with H&K "price equivalent" pistols being banned in California for not being safe.

JHC
07-30-12, 18:36
http://sigsauer.com/m11-a1/

I think it looks good, and I've heard good things about the Mk. 25.

Lets hope SIG can hold back from ****ing this up. Again.

The SIG Logo on the slide is obnoxious though.

Yep. Glockaid poisoning or not; I could be tempted easily to give one a long test drive.

Thanks for posting that.

BCmJUnKie
07-30-12, 18:44
Yep, P228.

Complete with H&K level pricing, Exeter quality craftsmanship, and genuine Sig gimmicky bull shit. I'm not sure why people buy new Sigs but it may have something to do with H&K "price equivalent" pistols being banned in California for not being safe.

This nailed it.

It's beyond me how all the gimmick bullshit appeals to folks.

I will say, they are well shooting pistols, from my experience.

Microalign
07-30-12, 19:17
I would think that if they were going to go to all that trouble, they would at least modernize the design with a rail.

Brad A
07-30-12, 20:50
I would think that if they were going to go to all that trouble, they would at least modernize the design with a rail.

They already have it. It's called a P229.

Microalign
07-30-12, 21:49
They already have it. It's called a P229.

Don't forget to wipe, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Brad A
07-30-12, 22:16
Don't forget to wipe, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

LOL! Hey man, had to clarify because you never know.

ChocLab
07-30-12, 23:16

tctlrld
07-30-12, 23:30
There's not much coming out of Exeter these days that I would trust SIG not to f*ck up!

deejai
07-31-12, 00:17
Looks just like their P229 SAS with P228 grips. I'd rather buy a real P228 second hand or try to come across a CPO and save myself some money.

Magic_Salad0892
07-31-12, 00:27
I hate railed SIGs actually.

However, this or a P229 Enhanced Elite would be worth owning, if I didn't have so much invested in Glocks.

(http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229-enhanced-elite.aspx - Enhanced Elite)

Lets hope this thing (M11-A1) doesn't turn out to be a polished turd.

(It would have been slightly cooler if it was labelled "P228" with "M11" laser engraved on the slide like the actual .mil guns.)

JHC
07-31-12, 11:41
This nailed it.

It's beyond me how all the gimmick bullshit appeals to folks.

I will say, they are well shooting pistols, from my experience.

But that's not beyond you right? Too cool for all "M11 moniker etc but the shooting part is good.
So it's ok to buy for enjoying the shooting? ;)

brickboy240
07-31-12, 12:10
Since it has what looks like a solid slide...it is not like the old P228, like my 1991 made beauty.

Basically this is like the older non-rail 9mm P229...right? Overall a decent shooter.

The solid slide P-series guns are a tad top heavy but other than that...it does not look like anything new, really.

(...and yes...they need to lose that logo on the slide top...concentrate more on QC and less on advertising, please)

-brickboy240

Awesome1228
07-31-12, 12:51
(...and yes...they need to lose that logo on the slide top...concentrate more on QC and less on advertising, please)

-brickboy240

I'm in agreement, however what they have been doing has been working, from a business perspective. SIG is one of the fastest growing firearms manufacturers in the world and has nearly doubled sales since 2005.

They will obviously continue with the marketing stuff because it makes them money. And really, what's so bad about the logo on the slide? EVERY gun manufacturer puts their logo on their guns. We aren't talking about the rainbow finished slides here, which is pretty ridiculous, but a logo. At least it isn't a zombie or a pirate, or a silly prancing pony :D

brickboy240
07-31-12, 13:34
True, but you have to admit that lately, SIG has concentrated more on offering tons of models with tons of different finishes while QC took a slide.

Back in the early 90s and earlier, they offered mostly black P-Series guns with few options and the things were rock solid and ran like the devil. You have to admit that a mid 80s to early 90s P228, P226, P220 or even P225 was a very well made and totally reliable beast that was hard to stop from running. I have a P228, P225 and P220 from that time period and all run great.

I don't really care if they put the logo on the slide....just please return to the QC and reliability of the W. German made P-series guns and people like me will start buying them again.

Right now? Forget it...for 800 plus dollars...buying a new SIG is just too iffy. Why...when I can spend that same amount on an HK USP and that WILL run like the devil.

If they can get the quality back to their old standards...I hope the M11 sells and is a good piece of kit.

I am still trying to kill my 1991 made P228....a very hard thing to do.

-brickboy240

Awesome1228
07-31-12, 16:40
True, but you have to admit that lately, SIG has concentrated more on offering tons of models with tons of different finishes while QC took a slide.

Back in the early 90s and earlier, they offered mostly black P-Series guns with few options and the things were rock solid and ran like the devil. You have to admit that a mid 80s to early 90s P228, P226, P220 or even P225 was a very well made and totally reliable beast that was hard to stop from running. I have a P228, P225 and P220 from that time period and all run great.

I don't really care if they put the logo on the slide....just please return to the QC and reliability of the W. German made P-series guns and people like me will start buying them again.

Right now? Forget it...for 800 plus dollars...buying a new SIG is just too iffy. Why...when I can spend that same amount on an HK USP and that WILL run like the devil.

If they can get the quality back to their old standards...I hope the M11 sells and is a good piece of kit.

I am still trying to kill my 1991 made P228....a very hard thing to do.

-brickboy240

While you may very well be correct about SIG focusing on finishes and gimmicks, and QC is sliding, I don't KNOW that. I strongly suspect it though, and just recently this caused me to pass on purchasing a new SIG. I instead bought a 1993 manufacture 226 (which has been nothing short of awesome, by the way).

I will readily admit that my concerns about quality were enough to definitely keep me from spending over $1000 on a new SIG. I know SIG's reputation is suffering. And probably rightly so. I hope they can right the ship, because I have a new found appreciation for SIGs and would love to be able to buy a new one with confidence.

LtNovakUSA
07-31-12, 17:36
What's with the UID Label? Is that just a gimmick? I remember when I was an Army Rifle Company XO when we reset our weapons after re deployment the SARET Team pulled off all the old UID labels and replaced them so its not a factory thing for .mil weapons (at least i dont think, it seems to be something the mil does post factory). I have heard that Sig has two different QC standards, on for civilian and one for .mil/LEO, could it be that these follow the QC standards for the latter?

Slater
07-31-12, 21:34
When Beretta came out with their M9A1 they had a USMC contract for them. Is the M11A1 also a .mil issue item?

Magic_Salad0892
08-01-12, 01:47
When Beretta came out with their M9A1 they had a USMC contract for them. Is the M11A1 also a .mil issue item?

I think but I'm not sure.

F-Trooper05
08-01-12, 03:17
Not sure why anyone would buy these over a $500 used P228?

Magic_Salad0892
08-01-12, 03:50
Not sure why anyone would buy these over a $500 used P228?

Certain parts of the old West German P228s have been discontinued. So if they break, you're going to have to pay more, IF you can find them.

That's A reason.

ffhounddog
08-01-12, 06:37
I do have two Sig P228s that are West German and I like them better than the two P229s that I have. I love the P228 but I have gone almost totally to the H&K P2000 due to what you said about part avaliability.

I think replacing the springs will be best on the West German Sigs so they can run to peak performance.