PDA

View Full Version : DD M4V5 Pistol Grip Spec?

Roecar
07-31-12, 12:19
I just picked up my DD M4V5 and I started to add the furniture and tried to mount an older Tango Down BG16 grip. I had issue with the BG16 not fitting properly.

The TD grip will seat properly but there is a 1-2mm gap between the front most edge of the grip and the back of the trigger guard. I performed a function check and the selector and FCG works fine but the gap is very unsightly.

I am confident that the DD M4V5 is within spec so I believe the grip is off. I'm surprised considering this grip used to be on an AR15 and that fit and looked fine without gaps.

Did I miss something or do the older TD grips have different specs?

Roecar
08-01-12, 10:52
I'm surprised that no one has a response.

To update my situation I purchased a Magpul MIAD grip to see if I experience the same problem. The gap issue isn't as bad as the Tango Down but the grip is seated properly with a slight cant. I've watched several videos on properly installation and the problem persists.

When either grip is seated in the "proper" position the factory bolt and included grip bolt will NOT thread properly. The bolt can't even interface with the threads. To engage the threads I have to cant the grip at an angle to start threading the bolt. Doing this is causing the weird gap or cant.

Either I am seriously doing something wrong or I managed to get an expensive lemon from Daniel Defense. I'm hoping for the former than the latter otherwise I am totally disappointed with QC of Daniel Defense.

TheJRK
08-01-12, 11:43
Maybe you should post a pic of the grip on your rifle so people can see what you are talking about. A 1mm gap doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I have DDM4V7 which is the same lower as the V5 and I put a Magpul MOE grip on it with no problems.

Roecar
08-01-12, 11:56
I'm getting pictures up as soon as I'm back from work. Time isn't my friend atm.

The original grip easily goes on and off without any effort at all, seated and bolted properly. Installing these aftermarket grips is somehow causing problems.

Roecar
08-01-12, 21:35
Well I did all the function checks and it works fine. I haven't test fired it but the physical checks like functioning safety, fire, and selector are fine. Being my first AR I'm blind to what's good/bad go/no-go.

If you can believe the Tango Down grip had a gap that was even bigger.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Roecar/Realsteel/IMG_4394.jpg

Redbeardsong
08-01-12, 21:54
Hmm... yeah, that would bother me, too.

Roecar
08-01-12, 22:10
I honestly don't know myself... if it's the rifle that is the problem then Daniel Defense let a lemon slip by that cost me $1500...

Aside from the gap the function checks seem normal. Haven't test fired but idk... I need more input but I'm already feeling bummed about this whole thing.

gunrunner505
08-01-12, 22:31
I don't know how wrapped around the axle I'd get over this.

I know we all want our stuff to be buttoned down and perfect and I'm the same way but....

Run the shit out of that bad boy and have a good time.

Roecar
08-01-12, 22:37
The first picture makes it look "okay," this one doesn't. It's bad especially if you paid $1500 for it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Roecar/Realsteel/P1020362.jpg

ForTehNguyen
08-01-12, 22:41
i would call Daniel Defense

Roecar
08-01-12, 23:14
I didn't pay attention to this earlier but it looks as if the newer DD M4V5s have proprietary parts. The black grip is the factory A2 grip and the FDE is a new Magpul MIAD.

The A2 grip hole lines up with the receiver, the MIAD doesn't.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Roecar/Realsteel/P1020366.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Roecar/Realsteel/P1020367.jpg

TheJRK
08-01-12, 23:34
You are using the bolt that came with the Magpul grip right? Not the one that came with your rifle and the A2 grip.

I do remember now that it did take quite a bit of effort to get mine screwed in properly. I had to basically lean on the screwdriver with my body weight while also turning to screw it in. I have to look at my rifle though as I don't remember if I had the same type of gap in between the grip and the trigger guard.

FireandFlames
08-01-12, 23:34
Ive had a moe, and now a bcm grip on my dd m4, they both fit perfect. I also own a small truck load of their products and have never found a problem with any of them. That being said, mistakes can be made in the hi tech machining world dd works in. There may not be a issue with the lower at all, step back from the rifle and have a buddy attempt to put it on, maybe he/she will have better luck with less frustration. If it truely is a defect in the lower im sure the customer service at Daniel defense will make it right, they are one of the best in the industry for a reason.

I'd also like to add i have a rifle built off a billet lower, and the miad on it has a very subtle gap on it like that. Never bothered me, shoot the gun, after a couple cases of ammo and a few training classes that little gap will be one of the lesser things taking away from the rifles aesthetics.

Roecar
08-01-12, 23:44
I sent an email to DD about it and we'll see what they say. It's a non-issue functionally and eventually the rifle will get beat to shit during classes but what kills me is the the fact I bought a $1500 rifle that should be "perfect" to a degree and in this case it isn't.

If I knew that this would happen it wouldn't change me from buying it but it's like saying you'd buy a new car with only three wheels. I guess my point is if something is supposed to be or advertised as "milspec" it should be.

You are using the bolt that came with the Magpul grip right? Not the one that came with your rifle and the A2 grip.

I do remember now that it did take quite a bit of effort to get mine screwed in properly. I had to basically lean on the screwdriver with my body weight while also turning to screw it in. I have to look at my rifle though as I don't remember if I had the same type of gap in between the grip and the trigger guard.
I tried the Magpul screw first and noticed the gap so I tried the DD screw and the same thing. The grip and screw is tightened as far as it will go. Any tighter and I'm sure I'd strip the threads.

Grand58742
08-02-12, 01:17
I'm having issues getting the grip replaced on mine as well. Almost stripped the screw head trying to get it out and will now replace the flat head with a hex anyway. But it's nigh on to impossible to get the screw to back out like it's supposed to. It's almost like it's got Locktite on it, but according to Joe over at DD, it's not supposed to be that way. Just tight tolerances I suppose and no chance of it backing out on its own lol

Haven't replaced it entirely yet since my new grip is on the way, but I just tried a bunch of different grips on my DD M4V3 (bought in May of this year) to see if I had the same problem you were having. Used a T handled driver since the regular screwdriver was stripping the head more than turning it. The MOE grip, I had the same problem you did. The spare Ergo seemed to fit okay. I tried a Bushy A2 and it didn't fit over the receiver. The Larue APEG fit, but wouldn't snug up to the receiver. Large enough gap between the grip and the receiver that I could clearly see the detent spring. I might have been able to tighten that up, but I didn't want to strip another screw head.

It's a moot point with me since the Ergo seems to fit fine and that's my grip of choice. But yours isn't the only one with these issues.

TMS951
08-02-12, 09:09
I have two TD grips, one big, one small. Neither fit well. The big one had to be trimmed, and the small one needed to be pried open to fit onto the receiver.

Mag-pul grips have always fit for me.

Roecar
08-02-12, 10:16
These seem like inconsistency issues if you ask me. I've asked some other DD owners and many have said their rifles are fine. Those rifles are "older" gen M4s while the "newer" gen M4s seem to have these weird fitment issues. So far on this forum and Calguns the DD M4s with grip fitment issues tend to be the newer M4s.

I'm still waiting for a reply from DD.

sinlessorrow
08-02-12, 10:23
I sent an email to DD about it and we'll see what they say. It's a non-issue functionally and eventually the rifle will get beat to shit during classes but what kills me is the the fact I bought a $1500 rifle that should be "perfect" to a degree and in this case it isn't.

If I knew that this would happen it wouldn't change me from buying it but it's like saying you'd buy a new car with only three wheels. I guess my point is if something is supposed to be or advertised as "milspec" it should be.

I tried the Magpul screw first and noticed the gap so I tried the DD screw and the same thing. The grip and screw is tightened as far as it will go. Any tighter and I'm sure I'd strip the threads.

How is a small gap newr the trigger guard similar to a car woth only 3 wheels?

Roecar
08-02-12, 13:40
To me it's simple, if I bought something for $1500, it better damn well be perfect. If the company that makes it has claims such as 100% Milspec, it better be.

It may seem like a small gap is nothing to you but when I buy something new especially big ticket items I'd rather it be me that gradually wears it out rather than get something factory already out-of-spec or damaged.

Like I said until DD chimes in I'll hold judgement.

JSantoro
08-02-12, 14:57
The rule is that the manufacturer should get contacted, first, anyway, and given a reasonable opportunity to respond....

http://m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

Lemme know when they roger up; we'll open this again so you can report the nature of the resoution. Even if it's "lack thereof."