PDA

View Full Version : Ambi safety Noveske 60' selector

420ollie
07-31-12, 17:29
Update: Poll added Can you guess which safety I decided on

I was looking for a ambi safety and came across this. I need your opinion on one of the ambi safeties from Noveske.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sts60a&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

Do you guys think it is better than the BAD ASS.

Preach
07-31-12, 18:02
I was looking for a ambi safety and came across this. I need your opinion on one of the ambi safeties from Noveske.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sts60a&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

Do you guys think it is better than the BAD ASS.

I am pretty sure this is one of magpul's new products. Stick posted a pic a while back with it. I hadn't heard it is out yet so info might be hard to come by. But you can try to pm Stick, he should know.

420ollie
07-31-12, 18:46
:help: Which stick I can't find which one?

titanse05
07-31-12, 18:55
I don't need to see the Noveske offering to know that the BAD-ASS offering is better. The true short throw (45) of the BAD-ASS has to be experienced to be appreciated. To be honest I don't think they are comparable since one is customizable and the other isn't.

Rodman24
07-31-12, 18:57
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/06/10/noveske-sts-60-degree-selector/

buckjay
07-31-12, 18:59
The BAD ST safety accomplishes everything I could want from a safety and does so in exemplary fashion.

I may be in the minority here but I don't see any reason to go with the Noveske/Magpul safety besides the price. And for something I use as much as the safety, I'd rather fast for a few days to save up the difference.

And while we're here, might as well attach a pic of both. The first is my picture, the second pulled from Noveske's page.

http://buckjay.com/drop/white/kac-14-4.jpg
http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/sts60a_3d.jpg

Preach
07-31-12, 19:02
:help: Which stick I can't find which one?

Sorry, I meant one of our prominent members, Stickman. He has some of the best AR pics.

glocktogo
07-31-12, 20:14
I just ordered one of the Noveske units from Ranier Arms. I look at it as a "proof of concept" purchase. The BAD-ASS is what I really want, but no one local has one for me to play with and that's a lot of $$$ for a selector. It's not like I can just buy one BAD-ASS to cover my needs. If one AR gets it, they all have to get it. :)

420ollie
07-31-12, 21:42
I just ordered one of the Noveske units from Ranier Arms. I look at it as a "proof of concept" purchase. The BAD-ASS is what I really want, but no one local has one for me to play with and that's a lot of $$$ for a selector. It's not like I can just buy one BAD-ASS to cover my needs. If one AR gets it, they all have to get it. :)

I was thinking the same ting. That why I wanted some suggesions before hand. I don't know which to get.

chadil1ac
07-31-12, 22:35
I'll keep my BAD ASS.

420ollie
08-13-12, 19:42
So can you guys guess what I decided on.

titanse05
08-13-12, 20:54
So can you guys guess what I decided on.

Hopefully the Short Throw BAD-ASS....

420ollie
08-13-12, 21:06
There was another safety I was looking at also.
Here is the thread. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109743

Stickman
08-14-12, 10:23
I may be in the minority here but I don't see any reason to go with the Noveske/Magpul safety besides the price.

Based on use, or based on something else? BA makes a great product, and is available in a bunch of configurations, but I'm missing what the negative is of the Noveske variant.

Watrdawg
08-14-12, 10:35
Personally I don't see double the value when comparing the price of the BAD ASS to the Noveske/Magpul. Once I get my stamp for my SBR I'll be replacing the safety for the Noveske/Magpul ambi one.

420ollie
08-22-12, 17:42
I got the badass with stainless levers. It is the beez kneez.

mtdawg169
08-22-12, 18:09
Am I mistaken in thinking the BAD short throw requires a compatible lower and the Noveske does not? Sorry guys, I haven't been paying attention to some of the new products.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Duffy
08-22-12, 21:49
We had to make it so it's not a drop-in part for receivers without the proper, 45 degree FIRE engravings.

Nobody can argue that somewhere between SAFE and FIRE is FIRE, this necessitates the "lawyer pin" :cray: More info here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82851

We pressed a stainless steel pin in the body of the selector center to act as a block. 45 degree compatible receivers (most of them are 45/90 compatible, they can be used with either 45 or 90 degree selectors) have a notch on the left side of selector hole to allow the pin to go through.

If the pin is removed, it becomes a drop-in part for any standard AR receivers, but it will void the warranty. We neither encourage nor suggest its removal, we don't want to get sued, and we don't want our customers to get sued because a shooter that just picked it up may not realize this is not a 90 degree selector, and the pointer doesn't point to FIRE.

Never mind the pirate or zombie themed, or Obama (HOPE and CHANGE markings) may run into the same liability issue, or may not, for I don't know of attorneys that can argue that ARGG or DEAD actually mean FIRE, we're not opening ourselves or our customers to litigation :)

420ollie
08-22-12, 23:29
We had to make it so it's not a drop-in part for receivers without the proper, 45 degree FIRE engravings.

Nobody can argue that somewhere between SAFE and FIRE is FIRE, this necessitates the "lawyer pin" :cray: More info here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82851

We pressed a stainless steel pin in the body of the selector center to act as a block. 45 degree compatible receivers (most of them are 45/90 compatible, they can be used with either 45 or 90 degree selectors) have a notch on the left side of selector hole to allow the pin to go through.

If the pin is removed, it becomes a drop-in part for any standard AR receivers, but it will void the warranty. We neither encourage nor suggest its removal, we don't want to get sued, and we don't want our customers to get sued because a shooter that just picked it up may not realize this is not a 90 degree selector, and the pointer doesn't point to FIRE.

Never mind the pirate or zombie themed, or Obama (HOPE and CHANGE markings) may run into the same liability issue, or may not, for I don't know of attorneys that can argue that ARGG or DEAD actually mean FIRE, we're not opening ourselves or our customers to litigation :)

I didnt know you were on here too. You are working every angle and that is great customer service. ;)

Duffy
08-23-12, 07:53
Every serious manufacturer and developer needs to have a presence here :D

Koshinn
08-23-12, 09:35
I have both a standard BAD-ASS and the Noveske STS.

The BAD levers are much more comfortable - the Magpul levers feel sharp somehow, but I can't find any sharp edges. I don't really know what's going on. The BAD-ASS is also much easier to install, but seems more likely to unscrew itself due to the positioning of the screws. Locktite should fix that problem and I've never seen a BAD-ASS unscrew itself.

Basically, here's how I break it down:

BAD
+ Feel (smoother, yet also more aggressive texturing)
+ Metal vs plastic (arguably stronger because metal will deform/bend before breaking, which is good in a part with low tolerances like a lever, but bad in a part with higher tolerances like, say, magazine feed lips... but I don't know how you'd impart enough force on a safety lever to deform/bend/break it)
+ Ease of installation (doesn't require less-common tools, it's really idiot-proof)
+ Variety of levers to choose from

Noveske/Magpul
+ Cost (half or less of the price of a BAD short throw, should come free on Noveske lowers now)
+ Plastic vs Metal (less likely to get super hot when not wearing gloves)
+ Impossible to remove

I'd say if you have the money, go for the BAD. If you don't do anything besides shoot bench rest and need an ambi or left-handed safety, go with the Noveske/Magpul.

MrSunday
08-23-12, 10:54
I'm a big Noveske & Magpul fan but I will stick with the BAD safety. It's so well made, easy to install and customize exactly how I want it. Though the Noveske would be my second choice over stock MilSpec

Duffy
08-23-12, 10:54
To date, we know of one instance where the user had lost the screw, and the lever along with it, he did not use thread locker on the screws.

In addition to what's known, there was an unknown variable: the amount of torque applied to the screws. Both the screw and lever were replaced at no charge.

We have instructors/dealers that purposely leave the screws without thread locker, as they need to be able to swap them out for their customers / students. Tens of thousands of rounds later, the screws have not come loose.

This is not to say that one should omit the use of thread locker, it is recommended to use thread locker on the screws, but it does demonstrate the benefits of using the Torx screws, which allow more torque to be applied.