PDA

View Full Version : Broken at the range! Up and running finally.

Caduceus
07-31-12, 20:58
So today I went over to my local indoor range - only 25meters, but it's only 20 minutes away. I have a new (to me) LMT 16" M4 upper bought of EE, and a new LMT bolt (headspaced and passed w/ Go and No-go gauges). Mounted it on the only lower I have, a S&W that normally holds the 15OR upper.

Reportedly this upper has about 500 rounds - I've put about 150 on it so far, nearly all M855 (federal ammo cans) or M193 (PMC X-tac). It's been a bit finicky on the last round and not holding the bolt open

Anyway, today I load up, go to sight in my new ACOG (again, of EE). First round fires, and doesn't cycle the bolt. I look, and BCG is only showing the bolt at the rear end of the dust cover. I can rack the charging handle and lock the BCG to the rear but it won't release. Remove the mag, try a few more times, and come off the line. Off line, am unable to separate the upper and lower - the pins come down, but the BCG is stuck halfway into the buffer tube.

Get some help from the range guys, grab their tools, and have to unscrew the buffer tube. All sorts of little pieces come out, but everything looks intact (detent pin, spring, etc). Manage to get the BCG out by pulling and tugging and cussing and finally it manages to slide forward enough to separate the upper and lower. On pulling the BCG out, everything looks fine. Put the BCG and CH back on the upper, and everything runs fine for about 10 hand-cycles, then suddenly it locks up again (at this point, just cycling the upper; the lower is on the table)

Anyway, end of the story is that the forward assist broke. Took me and another guy about 15 minutes to find the piece. Fortunately it wasn't in a life/death situation, but if it had been, the rifle would have been out of business.

Hopefully if this happens to someone else it'll clue them in faster than we were.

Once we pulled that piece out, I finished sighting in the ACOG. Need to go figure out how to replace the FA. The original S&W upper is now back on it's lower.

Edit: Pics per request. Pic one is the approximate position of the BCG/bolt when stuck. Pic two is an attempt to look into the FA port. Pic three is the piece off the FA. I tried to remove the FA, but the pin is pretty well in place.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/Caduceusmd78/DSC02341.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/Caduceusmd78/DSC02346.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/Caduceusmd78/DSC02347.jpg

duece71
08-01-12, 07:56
I had a somewhat similar situation happen at the range. BCG locked half way back and was completely frozen. With some tugging, mortaring, and cussing I managed to get it all the way back to get the empty case out. Of course, the BCG would not move forward at all, preventing me from breaking the rifle down. I ended up being done for the day at the range anyway. I got home and took a flat head screw driver and gently pryed at the BCG through the ejection port and managed to get the BCG forward. It only took a small amount of prying before it flew forward on it own. It seemed like it was being held up by something, but upon closer inspection, I could not for the life of me find any problems. The forward assist was fine, it didn't look like anything was dragging on the inside the upper. No pieces fell out of the rifle when it was finally broken apart. Total mystery. I have not shot the rifle since, I am debating wether to go shoot it again or send it off for an inspection just to make sure.

amd5007
08-01-12, 08:15
Contact LMT and see what they say. They might take a look at it or at the least ship you a new forward assist.

wahoo95
08-01-12, 08:23
Forward Assist is held in with a roll pin and easily replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Caduceus
08-01-12, 08:24
Contact LMT and see what they say. They might take a look at it or at the least ship you a new forward assist.

I hadn't really thought of calling them. First, I'm not the original owner, and second, parts fail. But, not a bad thought to just talk to them and get their opinion.

On a side note, it was also the first time I used FrogLube on my gun. Literally the very first bullet. Not saying that was a problem, but I was grumbling to myself until we found the broken part. No, I haven't stripped it off and re-applied CLP.

amd5007
08-01-12, 08:44
I hadn't really thought of calling them. First, I'm not the original owner, and second, parts fail. But, not a bad thought to just talk to them and get their opinion.

On a side note, it was also the first time I used FrogLube on my gun. Literally the very first bullet. Not saying that was a problem, but I was grumbling to myself until we found the broken part. No, I haven't stripped it off and re-applied CLP.

I don't think it would be an issue. LMT has good customer service and they'll help you out if needed. All in all the FA is a mechanical part and is subject to failure, but at the worst you'll be out the $10 to replace it.

Isn't it funny how that works. I once had a water pump fail the day after I changed the coolant.

WS6
08-01-12, 11:33
I don't think it would be an issue. LMT has good customer service and they'll help you out if needed. All in all the FA is a mechanical part and is subject to failure, but at the worst you'll be out the $10 to replace it.

Isn't it funny how that works. I once had a water pump fail the day after I changed the coolant.

It is my OPINION that changing fluids on a vehicle that change pH/solvent ability (coolant, transmission fluid, etc.) over time can result in things like this, if you do not do them regularly at low-mileage intervals. At first I called BS, but after owning a few cars and changing transmission fluid, I no-longer call BS, and I no-longer change fluids. When the car is new, I break it in per owner manual instructions, put about 1500 miles on it, and change the diff,trans (for manual), and engine oil. After that, scheduled maintenance only.

I also hate dex-cool.

As to the FA...what exactly "broke", and are there pictures of the dead body?

Caduceus
08-01-12, 11:49
It is my OPINION that changing fluids on a vehicle that change pH/solvent ability (coolant, transmission fluid, etc.) over time can result in things like this, if you do not do them regularly at low-mileage intervals. At first I called BS, but after owning a few cars and changing transmission fluid, I no-longer call BS, and I no-longer change fluids. When the car is new, I break it in per owner manual instructions, put about 1500 miles on it, and change the diff,trans (for manual), and engine oil. After that, scheduled maintenance only.

I also hate dex-cool.

As to the FA...what exactly "broke", and are there pictures of the dead body?
Pieces are in my shorts pocket at home. I'll see if I can get them up tonight.