PDA

View Full Version : magnetized bolt?

sinlessorrow
07-31-12, 21:15
is it possible for a Bolt to become mildly magnetized?

ill work on getting a video but I swear my bolt is magnetized, or maybe its the cotter pin.....IDK but its strange.

IYAAYASwarrior
07-31-12, 21:19
Definitely try to get a video up of that. I am interested in seeing that happen. What brought you to think it may have become magnetized?

sinlessorrow
07-31-12, 21:29
Definitely try to get a video up of that. I am interested in seeing that happen. What brought you to think it may have become magnetized?

I was drying it out to prepare it for its first dose of frog lube come thursday, and the cotter pin kind of followed the bolt lol.

not the best quality since its my iphone being sent to my photobucket, but youll get the point. I am able to pick up both the cotter pin and the extractor pin

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/Mobile%20Uploads/th_IMG_8980.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=IMG_8980.mp4)

WS6
07-31-12, 22:45
Well, apparently it's possible.

sinlessorrow
07-31-12, 23:19
Well, apparently it's possible.

But is it something to worry about?

spartakis252
07-31-12, 23:48
What brand is your bolt? How new is it?

If it was Magnetic Paritcle inspected I would venture to guess it may have retained a magnetic field from that.

As to whether thats bad or not, I have no clue.

sinlessorrow
08-01-12, 00:05
What brand is your bolt? How new is it?

If it was Magnetic Paritcle inspected I would venture to guess it may have retained a magnetic field from that.

As to whether thats bad or not, I have no clue.

It is a MPI bolt from a highly recommended company, as long as there are not negatives from it being that way I couldn't care less. It was def a shocker for me lol.

Blankwaffe
08-01-12, 00:13
Ive seen this a couple times in the past few years.I had a couple factory new bolts which were magnetic right out of the bag from not being properly degaussed after MPI,according to the manufacturer anyway.Im talking magnetic enough to stick to the side of the carrier.

Strangely,I had another bolt that developed a magnetic charge while in use,I was told it was probably friction related due to tight bolt fit in the carrier.In this case it was a very weak magnetic charge that would barely pick up the FPRP.

Regardless of the actual cause,just take it by a machine shop and ask if they can degauss the bolt for you,will only take a second.

Blankwaffe
08-01-12, 00:19
But is it something to worry about?

Naw nothing really to worry about.The manufacturers I discussed this with said it was not an optimal condtion,but would not affect function.Both did ask for me to send the bolts back to be degaussed though...so take that how you will.

Personally I don't like it,so I have them degaussed.

M4Fundi
08-01-12, 02:48
If it is stored next to an electrical field it could cause this.

ErikS
08-01-12, 03:54
It could be from either the MPI or use, either way it won't hurt a thing. Much to do about nothin'.

JSantoro
08-01-12, 09:22
About the worst thing that can happen is that it'll affect your lensatic compass during land-nav...;)...but a firearm'll do that just by being close enough, and even that effect is paid more attention than it truly deserves.

Like Blankwaffe said, a local machine shop could degauss...but there may be merit in knowing that you're not gonna misplace your FP retaining pin without making an effort to do so. :D

Keydet08
08-01-12, 09:35
A ferrous object can be turned into a temporary magnet which will exhibit weak magnetic properties. The machining and testing process for creating the bolt carrier could have somehow caused the molecules in the bolt carrier to align. The simple fix is to subject it to some sort of disturbance to cause the molecules to cease being aligned. Tap it with a hammer...

sinlessorrow
08-01-12, 10:50
About the worst thing that can happen is that it'll affect your lensatic compass during land-nav...;)...but a firearm'll do that just by being close enough, and even that effect is paid more attention than it truly deserves.

Like Blankwaffe said, a local machine shop could degauss...but there may be merit in knowing that you're not gonna misplace your FP retaining pin without making an effort to do so. :D

Haha, I was actually thinking that myself.

When I go to clean the BCG I'll just stick the small parts next to the bolt so they have no chances of running away:lol:

WS6
08-01-12, 11:42
Sorry for the ignorant question, but what and how is degaussing?

GTifosi
08-01-12, 12:59
Tweaking by realigning or outright removing a magnetic feild from an object.

Most frequently mentioned in older TV repair stuff when the picture goes wonky.
If you've an old CRT PC monitor, likely it even has a degauss function in its internal settings options.
(the menu reached via the buttons on the monitor, not through software)

In the case of a bolt, they'd pass it through a wire wrapped ferrous material loop that had voltage applied to.
Simular to an electromagnet, but not actually the same as the object is to create a 360 field around the object not make physical contact to pick it up from one end.

Think MRI not scrapyard crane.

jmoore
08-01-12, 13:38
Those of us old enough to remember this science show, also remember him hitting a screw driver handle several times with a hammer - resulting in the blade metal becoming a mild magnet. Something about the repeated impacts aligning bipolar particles or something like that. I'm guessing that the repeated cycling of the bolt may result in a similar situation, depending on the makeup of the metal?????????

john

5pins
08-01-12, 19:22
The barrel on my wife's model 65 ladysmith is magnetic. She has been shooting it for 15 years without issues.

Suwannee Tim
08-01-12, 20:38
.....caused the molecules in the bolt carrier to align..... Tap it with a hammer...

Metals are comprised of atoms not molecules, if you don't know this you don't know anything about physics, if you don't know anything about it why are you posting? Tapping a magnet with a hammer will not demagnetize it. Beating it with a hammer will diminish but not completely remove the magnetism. Don't beat your bolt with a hammer and don't bother tapping it with a hammer which will only waste your time. Your bolt is probably magnetized because it was not properly degaussed after MPI. Degaussing is accomplished by applying a powerful AC magnetic field which is gradually diminished to zero. A magnetized bolt can attract ferromagnetic particles, not a good thing but if you clean your rifle regularly it is probably not a bad thing either. Your bolt will slowly demagnetize itself which will be hastened by shooting.

Ned Christiansen
08-01-12, 20:55
It's no big deal but any tool and die shop will have a demagnetizer and you might just be able to get them to do it. It'll take whatever time it takes to walk to the device, turn it on, pass it over a few times, and walk it back to you. Maybe do it in the AM and bring donuts!

bphorseguy
08-02-12, 09:33
Your bolt will attract any small ferrous metal shavings or particles in its immediate area, this is unlikly to cause a problem but why take a chance. Any machine shop or ndt metal testing place can fix you up in a few seconds. That is the reason that degaussing is a step in the MPI process, could cause FOD or foreign object damage in aerospace terminology!