PDA

View Full Version : What books are you reading right now?

Doc Safari
08-01-12, 16:42
I admit I like creepy stuff, whether it's true crime, paranormal, or just plain weird shit. I'll read a history book for example, but it has to be something out of the ordinary, not just a retelling of some event.

I just finished this one:

http://www.nabigfootsearch.com/missing_411.html

Missing: 411 by David Paulides

Paulides started as a Bigfoot researcher, but don't let that scare you away. The author got sidetracked into investigating literally hundreds of disappearances in the nation's national parks and forests through the decades. He also chronicles the government's mysterious stonewalling when asked for any kind of statistics, as if they know how bad the problem is but don't want the public to know. Some of the disappearances have some unexplainable aspects to them, like how a handicapped child ends up miles away from where he disappeared and in a shorter amount of time than a normal adult could have covered the same distance. The author doesn't offer any sorts of conclusions, paranormal or otherwise. He just puts the data out there. You will know what you think by the end of the book, though, just like I did.

Paulides was featured on two episodes of Coast to Coast AM, and the shows got an overwhelming response.

I'm waiting for volume 2 to be published. :D

B Cart
08-01-12, 16:47
I don't know if this is narrowed to a specific genre of books, but I just got finished reading Outlaw Platoon and then Fearless, Adam Brown's story. Both great books. I'm currently reading Red Circle by Brandon Webb.

That Missing 411 book sounds pretty intriguing!

Outlaw Platoon: http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Platoon-Renegades-Brotherhood-Afghanistan/dp/0062066390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344010859&sr=8-1&keywords=outlaw+platoon

Fearless: http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Undaunted-Ultimate-Sacrifice-Operator/dp/0307730697/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344011362&sr=1-1&keywords=Fearless+Adam+Brown

Doc Safari
08-01-12, 16:52
I don't know if this is narrowed to a specific genre of books...

Anything goes, Man! Truth be told I started this thread looking for some new reading material! :D

Please everybody: provide enough info that we can go out and find the book! You know: author, link to Amazon, whatever.

Thanks!

THCDDM4
08-01-12, 17:03
-Stephen King The entire Dark towers series (7 books total) on book #2 currently

-East of Eden- John Steinbeck

-Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality- Manjit Kumar

-A tale of two cities Charles Dickens

-This is your brain on music- Daniel levitin

All great books, read all of them before, just re-reading to catch and or understand more in depth; or just to enjoy again.

Voodoochild
08-01-12, 17:05
Just finished up American Sniper. Good book. Recently read Sniper One, book on Lincoln (not Bill O's) and a book by the only known survivor of Op Valkeryie (sp).

buzz_knox
08-01-12, 19:25
Just finished Countdown: M Day by Tom Kratman. I recommend anything he writes. I also recommend Larry Correia if you want sci fi/urban fantasy written by a certified gun nut.

a0cake
08-01-12, 19:59
Most recently:

The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins (No news here if you're already educated on evolution. Dawkins is sometimes incoherent and rambling in this book. Personal anecdotes are randomly inserted in tangentially related ways. But overall, it's a brilliant depiction of what really is the greatest show on Earth by one of the greatest evolutionary biologists the world has ever known)

Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali (A must read if you're interested in the very real threat that is radical Islam. Powerful evidence of the dangers of cultural relativism from an author with undeniable street-cred)

Eichmann in Jerusalem - Hannah Arendt (Famous exposition on the "banality of evil." Covers the trial of Adolf Eichmann, the architect of the finely tuned Nazi genocide machine)

Godless - Dan Barker (The personal story of an evangelical minister giving up his faith. It's not all that well written; I'd say it's composed at a High School level of scholarship. There's nothing new here for those well versed in Theology and Philosophy, but the personal story is engaging at times)

The Koran - Allah ghostwriting for Mohammed :lol: (Nothing really to say here. As you dig deeper into the text you'll find a shocking amount of internal contradictions, requiring extreme hermeneutical gymnastics to give it all some semblance of cogency. The Koran is a cheap rip-off of previous holy books, and the absolute worst among the monotheistic texts)

The Religion of the Founding Fathers - David Holmes (A level-headed look at the religious beliefs of our nation's founders. It's dry, scholarly, and not all that engaging, but if you can stick it out, Holmes' book is highly educational)

Working on Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi right now. Excellent so far. Nafisi and Ayaan Hirsi Ali give outsiders an amazing insight into the lives of women under the dark cloud of Islam.

SeriousStudent
08-01-12, 21:11
Just finished up American Sniper. Good book. .......

Agreed, I liked it a great deal. I particularly liked how his wife Taya had input, her perspective was welcome.

If you have not already read them, may I recommend the following?

Brandon Webb's The Red Circle.

Marcus Luttrell's Service, a follow-up and prequel to Lone Survivor.

I'm currently reading Wars of Blood and Faith by Ralph Peters, and re-reading The Quest by Daniel Yergin.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-01-12, 21:33
Economist Milton Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom.

Historian Bob Carruther's The Wermacht in Russia.

lifebreath
08-01-12, 21:47
I'm on the non-fiction end of my pendulum swing ...

The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA's Clandestine Service

and

Cruising Guide to the Abacos and the Northern Bahamas - 3rd edition

kaiservontexas
08-01-12, 22:06
Re-reading Neuromancer it helps kill my inability to sleep.

SeriousStudent
08-01-12, 22:29

Have you read Fighting in Hell by Tsouras?

I'll have to pick up Friedman's book.

kmrtnsn
08-01-12, 22:35
Currently bouncing back and forth between two books, both in Spanish;

Los señores del narco, by Anabel Hernández

and

El Cartel de Sinaloa: Un Historia del Uso Politico del Narco, by Diego Enrique Osorno

lifebreath
08-01-12, 22:42

If you haven't already, you might enjoy

Wealth of Nations
Das Capital
The Road to Surfdom

DTHN2LGS
08-01-12, 22:57
Almost finished with "To Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy

DocHolliday01
08-01-12, 23:26
Recently finished "The Only Thing Worth Dying For", Fearless and I'm now reading Marcus Luttrell's "Service". The first two I highly recommend, and Service I'm sure will be good as well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-01-12, 23:44
Have you read Fighting in Hell by Tsouras?

I'll have to pick up Friedman's book.

If you haven't already, you might enjoy

Wealth of Nations
Das Capital
The Road to Surfdom

I actually haven't read any of those. I picked up Friedman's book after realizing I needed some better points to use when debating liberals. I'll have to add those to the Kindle list.

Dienekes
08-02-12, 02:16
Currently rereading Winston Churchill's History Of WWII; first volume is "The Gathering Storm". Five volumes in all.

I'd rather read than shoot. And I really like to shoot.

Doc Safari
08-02-12, 09:23
Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali (A must read if you're interested in the very real threat that is radical Islam. Powerful evidence of the dangers of cultural relativism from an author with undeniable street-cred)

[The Koran - Allah ghostwriting for Mohammed :lol: (Nothing really to say here. As you dig deeper into the text you'll find a shocking amount of internal contradictions, requiring extreme hermeneutical gymnastics to give it all some semblance of cogency. The Koran is a cheap rip-off of previous holy books, and the absolute worst among the monotheistic texts)

For dessert, I suggest you seek out the works of Walid Shoebat.

Voodoochild
08-02-12, 12:31
Agreed, I liked it a great deal. I particularly liked how his wife Taya had input, her perspective was welcome.

If you have not already read them, may I recommend the following?

Brandon Webb's The Red Circle.

Marcus Luttrell's Service, a follow-up and prequel to Lone Survivor.

I'm currently reading Wars of Blood and Faith by Ralph Peters, and re-reading The Quest by Daniel Yergin.

I was unaware Marcus Luttrell had another book out. Will look it up on Amazon.

08-02-12, 12:44
I'm a voracious reader so I keep several going at once. Right now:

Foundation-Asimov

Paul of Dune-Brian Herbert(Frank's son)

Les Miserables-Hugo

And as always, the Torah.

platoonDaddy
08-02-12, 12:47
Summer project: The New Dealers' War by Thomas Fleming

The parallels between FDR & Obama's administration is freighting. Reading the book, one is able to insert the current administration and actions into each story line.

SeriousStudent
08-02-12, 20:36
I was unaware Marcus Luttrell had another book out. Will look it up on Amazon.

It's quite good. It both precedes and acts as a post-script to Lone Survivor. You find out more about Marcus and his Teammates. He gives some helpful insight into survivor's guilt, and how to help a brother. It's not a self-help book, but contains good lessons.

It's also an excellent discussion of why men do the things they do. As opposed to males, who worry about what shoes go with their skinny jeans.

B Cart
08-03-12, 11:45
Recently finished "The Only Thing Worth Dying For"

I've been looking for another good book and have been eyeing this one.^^ I've read Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Fearless, Outlaw Platoon, and many others. Is this one pretty good?

SeriousStudent
08-04-12, 00:38
I've been looking for another good book and have been eyeing this one.^^ I've read Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Fearless, Outlaw Platoon, and many others. Is this one pretty good?

I have it and have read it. I do think it's a good read.

I liked Outlaw Platoon as well. I loaned it to my young nephew who is about to be commissioned as a Army 2LT. He said "it made him think an awful lot".

Which is why I loaned it to him.

DocHolliday01
08-04-12, 04:08

Very good. It is sad as **** though. As bad as Fearless. you get to see a lot of what those guys go through with regards to the politics they have to deal with. If you want to see a lot of the story they there is a Patriot Profile on the NRA Life of Duty website about ODA 574. The book is more detailed obviously.

boondocksaint
08-04-12, 06:52
Just finished The Pirates of Somalia (Inside Their Hidden World) -Jay Bahadur
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Somalia-Inside-Their-Hidden/dp/0307476561/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344079961&sr=1-1&keywords=Pirates+of+Somalia

It was an interesting read on the failed state that is Somalia and the evolution of modern day piracy. The author actually traveled to Somalia, hired a couple of bodyguards and lived there for a few months.

I also have Pirate State -Peter Eichstaedt on my Amazon Wish List, but haven't read it yet.

Also, I highly recommend Out of Captivity: Surviving 1,967 Days in the Colombian Jungle -Marc Gonsalves, et al.

This was an incredible book about three Americans that were captured by the Colombian FARC and held for over 5 years. This book is a fascinating account of what people can endure....and they had no idea of when/if it was going to end.

Magic_Salad0892
08-04-12, 10:02
http://www.amazon.com/Survivor-A-Novel-Chuck-Palahniuk/dp/039333807X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344092509&sr=8-1&keywords=survivor+chuck+palahniuk

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/0375703764/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344092539&sr=1-1&keywords=house+of+leaves+by+mark+z.+danielewski

Have fun.

Nathan_Bell
08-04-12, 11:03
Technician Class 2010-2014

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0945053622/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307377903/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Are the two that I am working through. Reading fiction by Tom Kratman as well, for when I get feeling to hopeful.

3 AE
08-04-12, 11:39
Just started rereading "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. Read it before about twenty five years ago. I shake my head in disgust as society, media, and governments, have taken an active role to bring the "sheep" through the gates leading into the corral of "collectivism". "I", thank goodness, won't live long enough to see the day when that corral is full and the gate is closed. In the meantime, "I" will just have to carry on the fight against the "We".

1911pro
08-04-12, 19:37
Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead... half way done.
Just started Philip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle.

Vic303
08-05-12, 18:37
Terry Pratchett's The Long Earth

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-12, 03:05
Has anybody ever read Flowers for Algernon?

Jesus Christ. I just finished it today. That's the saddest book ever...

DTHN2LGS
08-10-12, 14:17

The movie is good too.

theblackknight
08-10-12, 16:08
Halfway thru Mike Seeklanders"Your competition handgun training program".

murphy j
08-10-12, 16:15
We read it in high school. It was definitely a sad book and I teared up back then. I would probably bawl my eyes out now lol.

I just finished 'The Outcast Blade' by Jon Courtenay Grimwood.

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-12, 18:32
The movie is good too.

The one that was done in the 60/70's?...

I knew there was one, but I've never seen it. Somebody also told me there was a remake done in the 90's.

DTHN2LGS
08-11-12, 17:17
The one that was done in the 60/70's?...

I knew there was one, but I've never seen it. Somebody also told me there was a remake done in the 90's.

I meant the one from 1968, "Charly" with Cliff Robertson.

I don't recall seeing the 2000 TV movie version.

Magic_Salad0892
08-11-12, 17:29
I meant the one from 1968, "Charly" with Cliff Robertson.

I don't recall seeing the 2000 TV movie version.

Sweet. I'll check it out soon. I've kind of fallen in love with the book now. Lol.

BrigandTwoFour
08-11-12, 17:34
Between readings for my military-mandated masters degree, I also just finished up American Sniper by Chris Kyle. I picked up a couple fiction books, but haven't had the interest to read them.

Chris Kyle's book sparked my interest in non-fiction concerning snipers and the SEALs. I just started on The Red Circle by Brandon Webb, and have been mulling around with Lone Survivor after that.

Sitting on my shelf and asking for a re-read is In the Company of Heroes by Mike Durant, the blackhawk pilot shot down and captured during the Mogadishu incident. That one is a great book about the special operations helicopter guys.

A paper I recently wrote for my masters has also made me interested in going back and re-reading Steel My Soldiers' Hearts by Col. David Hackworth.

SeriousStudent
08-11-12, 23:45

Sitting on my shelf and asking for a re-read is In the Company of Heroes by Mike Durant, the blackhawk pilot shot down and captured during the Mogadishu incident. That one is a great book about the special operations helicopter guys.

A very good read. If you liked it, may I suggest Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton? It's got some interesting bits about the role of the 160th in the early days of Afghanistan.

justin_247
08-12-12, 13:10
Between readings for my military-mandated masters degree...

Lucky you! I haven't had a chance to read **** between my readings.

Mark/MO
08-12-12, 17:18
I too am a veracious reader. I’m currently reading “Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln’s Killer” by James L. Swanson. A couple of good books that I’ve read quite recently are “Unbroken”, by Laura Hillenbrand and “Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone”, by James Brady. “Unbroken”, for those who haven’t heard of it, is the story of Louis Zamperini, a runner in the Berlin Olympics and an airman in WWII who was lost at sea and captured by the Japanese. I recommend all three.

Magic_Salad0892
08-13-12, 02:51
In the Graveyard of Empires: America's War in Afghanistan is a pretty good book, and I'm sure a lot of dudes here would be into it.

Redmanfms
08-13-12, 06:26
Going back through Rand, right now I'm on Atlas Shrugged. She pegged both the mindset and the terminology of the Left. Obama could quite adequately stand-in for Wesley Mouch or Orren Boyle.

When I'm finished with Shrugged I'm going to re-read Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.

Before coming back to Rand, I went through Vonnegut's works beginning in January. All I can say is, ugh.

Between We the Living and Anthem I read Hothouse by Brian Aldiss. It has a scientific problem which usually isn't good for a sci-fi novel but the imagery created by that faux pas is really quite profound and fitting given the theme. It was an enjoyable, quick read, I recommend it.

After America by Mark Steyn.

ridgerunner70
08-25-12, 20:57
The Mission,The Men, and Me by Pete Blaber

Magic_Salad0892
08-25-12, 23:08
The Mission,The Men, and Me by Pete Blaber

I have that book, but haven't read it yet. I've heard great things.

Mjolnir
08-26-12, 06:03
Re-reading the following:

(1) THE GRAND CHESSBOARD by Zbigniew Brzezinski

(2) All of F. William Engdahl's books.

DTHN2LGS
08-26-12, 16:11
"Beyond Band of Brothers - The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Major Dick Winters.

ridgerunner70
08-30-12, 15:09
"Broke" by Glenn Beck

Magic_Salad0892
08-30-12, 15:14
I, Lucifer by Glenn Duncan.

sammage
08-30-12, 15:19
The Human Factor by Ishamel Jones
Brave New War is en route from Amazon

Doc Safari
09-03-12, 17:11
I just finished "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly over the Labor Day Weekend.

I have to say I don't see what all the hype is about. You'd think it was "In Cold Blood" they way people heaped praise on it.

It's an easy read: short chapters, easy to follow. Very few surprises.

Supposedly you have to have read this one to get the most out of O'Reilly's upcoming book "Killing Kennedy."

All in all a decent read but certainly can't be classified as "literature" IMHO.

maximus83
09-03-12, 18:17
God's Battalions: The Case for the Crusades (http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Battalions-The-Case-Crusades/dp/0061582603), by Rodney Stark (a professor at Baylor, and a sociologist/historian of religion).

The book aims to be a more balanced treatment of the Crusades which, while not excusing crimes and excesses of the Crusaders, also shows that the Crusades were a legitimate response to an aggressive and expansionist Islamic empire. Gives hard evidence to contradict the ideological view of the Crusades (as early Western colonialism) that predominates in the media and most Universities.

RancidSumo
09-04-12, 19:40
I'm currently switching between two:

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
A good start for anyone looking to learn more about economics. I find it slightly repetitive since I am far from new to economics but it is full of detailed explanations disproving many common economic policies and ideas. All of it is based around the "lesson"-

The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups.

I find Hazlitt to be a fabulous writer. I really enjoy his overall style.

The book is available free here- http://mises.org/document/6785/Economics-in-One-Lesson

One Hundred and One Famous Poems (The 1958 version)
I like reading poetry so long as it is good poetry. Unfortunately you have to search through a lot of crap to find anything good so finding this book on my mom's bookshelf was a nice surprise. I made it my mission to memorize a poem a day earlier this summer and after a couple weeks fell out of it because of school and work but finding this book has got me back into that goal. It has poems from some of my favorites like Kipling and Frost as well as many I'd never heard of before.

I'm about to start another by Hazlitt titled Thinking as a Science. It should be good. If anyone is interested, it is also available free from mises.org-
http://mises.org/document/3456/Thinking-as-a-Science

Here are some others I've read lately that others here might enjoy-
Alter of Eden and Devil Colony - James Rollins http://www.amazon.com/Altar-Eden-James-Rollins/dp/0061231428 and http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Colony-Sigma-Force-Novel/dp/0061785652/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346805530&sr=1-1&keywords=Devil+Colony
The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower-Novel/dp/1451658907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346805553&sr=1-1&keywords=the+wind+through+the+keyhole
Bourbon for Breakfast - Jeffrey Tucker http://mises.org/document/5509/Bourbon-for-Breakfast
The Profession and The Legend of Bagger Vance- Steven Pressfield http://www.amazon.com/Profession-Thriller-Steven-Pressfield/dp/0767931173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346805598&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Profession and http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Bagger-Vance-Novel-Golf/dp/038072751X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346805622&sr=1-1&keywords=the+legend+of+bagger+vance

ForTehNguyen
09-04-12, 19:55
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1331844545l/13260131.jpg

jaxman7
09-24-12, 08:46
This wasn't intentional on my my part but it seems every book I've read lately has been on modern warfare with an emphasis on special operations.

More specifically Navy SEALs.

My recent readings:

-I just reread Lone Survivor for the third time. I swear I cry every time I read what Lieutenant Mike Murphy and the other guys did.

-American Sniper by Chris Kyle

-The Red Circle by Brandon Webb

-reading No Easy Day now

Can anyone recommend some other books along the same theme? Thanks,

-Jax

ridgerunner70
09-24-12, 08:52
This wasn't intentional on my my part but it seems every book I've read lately has been on modern warfare with an emphasis on special operations.

More specifically Navy SEALS.

My recent readings:

-I just reread Lone Survivor for the third time. I swear I cry every time I read what Lieutenant Mike Murphy and the other guys did.

-American Sniper by Chris Kyle

-The Red Circle by Brandon Webb

-reading No Easy Day now

Can anyone recommend some other books along the same theme? Thanks,

-Jax

Rogue Warrior by Richard Marchinko
And Combat Swimmer by Bob Gormly. They are kind of rivals.

caelumatra
09-24-12, 14:32
Patriots (http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156975599X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348514631&sr=1-1&keywords=patriots) (Almost done with it and have been reading it forever :( )
The Road (http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348514834&sr=8-1&keywords=the+road) (just started)
Lone Survivor (http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-Eyewitness-Account-Operation/dp/0316044695/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348514869&sr=1-1&keywords=lone+survivor) (half way through)
Survive (http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Essential-Skills-Tactics-Anywhere/dp/0061373516/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348514927&sr=1-2&keywords=survive) (damn this is pretty boring...having a hard time getting into this)
Some Cody Lundin books, but I can't remember which ones. They're on my kindle so...cant remember the name

But school started again, so I've had to put a pause on my reading

BrigandTwoFour
09-24-12, 14:49
I finished my SOC readings (except for Lone Survivor, that is still on the list to be read).

Slowly working my way through "The Cold War: A New History" by John Lewis Gaddis. It's pretty thick reading, lots of political interweaving going on. I only have vague memories of the 80's, so this is all very interesting to me given my current career.

Also quickly going through The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. I know a lot of guys have mentioned this here before. It is rather eye-opening.

ridgerunner70
09-24-12, 14:50
Started No Easy Day by "Mark Owen"

zacbol
09-24-12, 15:08
Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist

CaptainDooley
09-24-12, 20:22
I've decided to read through Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series. Kubrick's film (2001) has been on my top 5 list of films for years, but I had never read the book. I'm now halfway through 2061. I never watched 2010 until after I read the book - I hate the movie, it was a terrible interpretation of the book.

Caeser25
09-24-12, 21:03
I'm jumping back forth between a few:

The creature from Jekyll island - mostly about The Fed, little bit of IMF, world bank, ecb, Fabian socialists, UN.

Ron Paul's end the fed

Chris martenson's crash course

The virtue of selfishness ayn rand

Capitalism the unknown ideal ayn rand

Man and money.

I have a large stack sitting here that will keep me busy for years. devil take the hindmost, more than you know, atlas shrugged, fountainhead, 1984, the new left - the anti industrial revolution and a stack from murray rothbard and fa Hayek.

One second after was ok, six silent men series was pretty good.

J Krammes
09-24-12, 21:29
World made by Hand... (almost finished, and it is real good)

Next up is American Sniper.

tuck
09-24-12, 21:42
After a stint reading Tom Clancy books I finally decided to finish "Not a Good Day to Die" by Sean Naylor. I don't read very often, so I still have quite a bit to go but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

jaxman7
09-24-12, 21:58
After a stint reading Tom Clancy books I finally decided to finish "Not a Good Day to Die" by Sean Naylor. I don't read very often, so I still have quite a bit to go but I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Did you read Locked On by Clancy? Gotta admit that was the first book by him I was not that impressed with. Not bad but nowhere near say, Without Remorse or Clear and Present Danger.

-Jax

tuck
09-24-12, 22:05
Did you read Locked On by Clancy? Gotta admit that was the first book by him I was not that impressed with. Not bad but nowhere near say, Without Remorse or Clear and Present Danger.

-Jax

I have it, and was planning on reading after I'm done with "Not a Good Day to Die" but, I'm thinking I might read Lone Survivor next though.

jaxman7
09-24-12, 22:16
I have it, and was planning on reading after I'm done with "Not a Good Day to Die" but, I'm thinking I might read Lone Survivor next though.

Ooops...:suicide:

Hopefully you'll enjoy Locked On.

The first time I read Lone Survivor I could not put it down. I cried 3 times and read it in 2 days. Probably my all time favorite nonfiction book. It's just very moving. The world needs to stop worshipping 'heroes' like football players and .50 cent.

Marcus Luttrell, Mike Murphy, Danny Dietz, and Matthew Axelson (the SR SEAL team the story focuses on) are true heroes that people need to look up to.

-Jax

SeriousStudent
09-24-12, 22:26
Ooops...:suicide:

Hopefully you'll enjoy Locked On.

The first time I read Lone Survivor I could not put it down. I cried 3 times and read it in 2 days. Probably my all time favorite nonfiction book. It's just very moving. The world needs to stop worshipping 'heroes' like football players and .50 cent.

Marcus Luttrell, Mike Murphy, Danny Dietz, and Matthew Axelson (the SR SEAL team the story focuses on) are true heroes that people need to look up to.

-Jax

I quite agree. You should consider reading Marcus Luttrell's new book "Service." It's excellent.

jaxman7
09-24-12, 22:34
Will do Serious and thanks. Wasn't even aware he had a second book.

-Jax

On a side note after reading LS again it got me curious about the upcoming movie. Wahlberg is going to portray Lutrell (common knowledge here probably) and it looks like Eric Bana has been cast. It appears he'll play a composite type character. Much like the one he played in (and did a great job IMHO) Black Hawk Down. The Delta Force character, Hoot.

GeorgiaBoy
09-24-12, 23:28
A Hope in the Unseen - Robert Suskind

No Easy Day - Mark Owen

a0cake
09-25-12, 00:01
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

What Evolution Is - Ernst Mayr

The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion - Peter Berger

Waiting for the Barbarians - J.M Coetzee

Palestine Betrayed - Efraim Karsh

The Iron Cage: The Story of the Palestinian Struggle for Statehood - Rashid Khalidi

The last two are particularly interesting for anyone interested in the Israel / Palestine question. Both are partisans -- Karsh writes for the Israeli side and Khalidi for the Palestinian side. If you can only read two accounts of the situation, these two are it. Even for those who are highly educated on the topic, you'll likely find out how little you know by reading these two authors. Highly recommended.

tuck
09-25-12, 00:04
I quite agree. You should consider reading Marcus Luttrell's new book "Service." It's excellent.

I'll make a note of it. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to sit down and read all that often so it takes me quite a while to finish a book. I probably need to spend less time on this site... :secret:

obucina
09-25-12, 00:40
Just finished "No Easy Day" and mostly through "Red Circle" and have been bouncing in and out of "Monuments Men". While I think that the Monuments Men were some very interesting folks who took on an insurmountable task, the book is slightly dry.

caelumatra
09-25-12, 13:00

Without Remorse is an EXCELLENT book as is Rainbow 6 if you haven't read them.

tuck
09-25-12, 13:06
Without Remorse is an EXCELLENT book as is Rainbow 6 if you haven't read them.

I haven't read Without Remorse, but Rainbow Six was the last book I read. I loved it and have made it a goal of mine to own a suppressed MP-10. :D

jaxman7
03-04-13, 00:40
Anyone read one of Larry Schweikart's books? Appear to be very pro-American. Trying to decide on the next book purchase and am considering one of his writings.

-Jax

duece71
03-04-13, 06:10
One second after by William Forstchen.

Magic_Salad0892
03-04-13, 06:27
The Mission, The Men, And Me - Pete Blaber (Can't recommend it enough.)

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Men-Me-Lessons-Commander/dp/0425236579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362400048&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Mission+The+Men+and+Me

The Only Thing Worth Dying For - Eric Blehm (Also great.)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Only-Thing-Worth-Dying/dp/0061661236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362400013&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Only+Thing+Worth+Dying+For

austinN4
03-04-13, 07:27
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Ranger-John-Wells-Novel/dp/039915972X

This is the 7th book in the John Wells series. Only about one quarter thru it but so far it is pretty good. I have rated the other 6 books as good to very good.

JSantoro
03-04-13, 08:44
Just got through reading A Memory of Light, the last book of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series.

Jordan died in 2007, so the last three books of the series were actually written by Brandon Sanderson, an author selected by Jordan's...wife?....estate? (unclear to me). I think he actually did a really good job of keeping the tone Jordan set in his writing.

Epic fantasy with Tolkien's depth of storytelling, but without the snotty overtones of the author trying to talk over the reader's head.

I started reading that series in 1990....good lord, the things that've passed in the interim...!

a0cake
03-22-13, 00:09
Keeping this thread going. I've recently finished...

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking: I really hate to say it, but a once frighteningly powerful mind may be dimming. He dismisses philosophy as a dead subject, then goes on to do poor philosophy, making untestable and unjustified inferences from modern cosmology. Hawking mastered the art of physics popularization with "A Brief History of Time," which is how I'll try to remember him.

The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker: The Harvard cognitive scientist conducts an in-depth study on the history of human violence and why it has declined so drastically in modern times. The best book I've read in years. If you're going to read one book this month, make it this one. You can see him very briefly run through the ideas found in the book in this lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feuq5x2ZL-s

The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker: Pinker deconstructs the idea that human minds are blank slates. He examines how selective pressures have molded human nature. If you're interested in the field of evolutionary psychology, this is a must-read.

The Nonsense of Free Will: Facing up to a False Belief by Richard Oerton: A legal expert examines the illusion of free-will and the potential consequences for humanity should it, as a whole, finally admit that the notion of libertarian, contra-causal free-will is incomprehensible, literal nonsense. There's nothing new here if you're well versed in the areas of free-will and determinism.

GeorgiaBoy
03-22-13, 01:04
The Nonsense of Free Will: Facing up to a False Belief by Richard Oerton: A legal expert examines the illusion of free-will and the potential consequences for humanity should it, as a whole, finally admit that the notion of libertarian, contra-causaul free-will is incomprehensible, literal nonsense. There's nothing new here if you're well versed in the areas of free-will and determinism.

I must say a0cake, I read the book/essay you once recommended here, Free Will by Sam Harris, and it was without a doubt very enlightening. I guess The Nonsense of Free Will will be next on the list.

Dave L.
03-22-13, 01:13
We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance (http://www.amazon.com/We-Die-Alone-Escape-Endurance/dp/1599210630/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363931941&sr=1-1&keywords=We+Die+Alone)
By David Howarth

From the booK:
A World War II chronicles of Jan Baalsrud's escape from Nazi-occupied arctic Norway.

We Die Alone is an astonishing true story of heroism and endurance. Like Slavomir Rawicz's The Long Walk, it is also an unforgettable portrait of the determination of the human spirit.

1/3 in, it's a great book. It's amazing to read about the hardships people faced back then.
The only part that I didn't like was how the author makes it a point to leave out details of the torture and murder from the story, which by default, covers for the Nazi's actions. He claims it was so inhumane that it should not be written in the story.

It also has me more interested in the state of pre-war Norway and why they were so easily occupied. They apparently where not a gun culture with any means to defend it self from occupation. The Nazi's also made possession of radios/transceivers illegal.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
03-22-13, 06:30
The Heart and the Fist by Eric Greitens.

It is a fabulous book!

newyork
03-22-13, 07:24
Mark Levin's Men in Black

tuck
03-22-13, 08:04
I'm still on a Tom Clancy fix. I'm about halfway through "Locked On"

jaxman7
04-08-13, 19:02
Just read through the first chapter and a half of The Finish by Mark Bowden. It details the hunt for OBL. Anyone else read this. At first it seems to focus a little too much on dear leader. Please tell me it's better down the road and gets more into the boots on the ground side of Intel and direct action.

-Jax

SeriousStudent
04-08-13, 21:11
Just read through the first chapter and a half of The Finish by Mark Bowden. It details the hunt for OBL. Anyone else read this. At first it seems to focus a little too much on dear leader. Please tell me it's better down the road and gets more into the boots on the ground side of Intel and direct action.

-Jax

I have bad news for you...... It does not get better, it gets worse. The actual mission itself is only discussed in tha last dozen or so pages.

I have all of Mark Bowden's previous books. This one really caused me to lose the respect I had for him. After Blackhawk Down, Killing Pablo and Guests of the Ayatollah, he had the contacts and ability to write a definitive book about the raid.

Instead, we got a wet slobbering liplock for the CINC. :(

jaxman7
04-08-13, 21:19
Thanks Serious,

That's what I was afraid off. :confused:

I had the choice of The Finish and Gentlemen Bastards. A book about 18X in Afghanistan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425252698?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Looks as though I may have chosen....'poorly'. May purchase the other sooner than I thought. Appreciate the input.

-Jax

Todd00000
04-08-13, 21:29
Just finished re-reading Dr. Harry Turtledove's Striking the Balance (Worldwar Series, Volume 4) and have started The Forever War, and will also start Prophets and Princes: Saudi Arabia from Muhammad to the Present before I PCS to SA.

Todd00000
04-08-13, 21:34
Keeping this thread going. I've recently finished...

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking: .

I have read every thing Dr. Brian Greene has written, and have read The 4% Universe and String Theory for Dummies. The combination of these books will give the layman a tremendous understanding of the history and current thinking of modern physics. I also have found Hawking's books hard to read.

fixit69
04-08-13, 21:45
Reading an assload of old(60's and 70's) military manuals.
Explosives, antitank, munitions and color codes...

Found a treasure trove of old fashioned goodness. Learned a bunch. Awsome reads.

chadbag
04-08-13, 21:45
In the last year I've read

The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten (actually still reading this one)

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire

The Mongoliad: Book One

The Music Lesson is really interesting. "Novelized" life philosophy.

The Star Wars and Mongoliad books were interesting and fun, but not enough to get me to buy the follow-on books, yet.

And am also now reading Core Data: Second Edition (technical iOS book) but I am not sure that counts :p

--

a0cake
04-08-13, 22:11
I have read every thing Dr. Brian Greene has written, and have read The 4% Universe and String Theory for Dummies. The combination of these books will give the layman a tremendous understanding of the history and current thinking of modern physics. I also have found Hawking's books hard to read.

I'm a big fan of Brian Greene. He is definitely one of the best physics popularizers out there. I obviously don't have any semblance of a technical understanding of Quantum Mechanics, but Dr. Greene is the one who explained it in such a way that I can now speak intelligently about it.

Wake27
04-08-13, 22:29
Working on my senior paper :suicide: so I'm reading a few. I'm really liking Combat Corpsman: The Vietnam Memoir of a Navy SEALs Medic which was autographed and given to me by the author several years ago but I have only just recently cracked open. Also using several books on SF in and around Vietnam.

Zane1844
04-08-13, 23:43
Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

SteyrAUG
04-09-13, 00:45

Read it in the 8th grade. Inside Delta Force was a much sadder book (re: American POWs in Vietnam)

It's the most depressed I've been since 9-11.

SteyrAUG
04-09-13, 00:47
"Beyond Band of Brothers - The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Major Dick Winters.

Really enjoyed that one, lots of those guys wrote follow up books.

SteyrAUG
04-09-13, 00:54
I have bad news for you...... It does not get better, it gets worse. The actual mission itself is only discussed in tha last dozen or so pages.

I have all of Mark Bowden's previous books. This one really caused me to lose the respect I had for him. After Blackhawk Down, Killing Pablo and Guests of the Ayatollah, he had the contacts and ability to write a definitive book about the raid.

Instead, we got a wet slobbering liplock for the CINC. :(

Thanks for the heads up. Big Bowden fan, I'll remember him fondly by not reading this book.

a0cake
05-11-13, 12:37
Here's the last 2 months worth of extracurricular reading, which hasn't been much. Some good ones though:

Informal Logic, A Handbook for Critical Argumentation by Douglas Walton. A really good survey of informal logic. It covers the strengths and weaknesses of various categories of argument, as well as almost all of the logical fallacies. The book also teaches you to parse complex arguments into their component parts in order to effectively deconstruct an otherwise impermeable case.

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin. A look at the intersection between race and religion during the civil rights movement by one of America's most iconic authors and social critics. He looks at the Christian churches of Harlem in the 1950's and 1960's, as well as the Nation of Islam. His description of meeting Elijah Muhammad is especially interesting.

Phillygunguy
05-11-13, 12:57
I just started reading Jefferson's War America's first war on terror by Joseph Wheeler. Pretty much talks about the Barbary wars and conflicts during his presidency and the influence of Islamism between then and now.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 19:51
Taliban by Ahmed Rashid
The Hunt For KSM don't have the book next to me, and forgot the author.

Army Chief
05-11-13, 20:17
A Higher Call (http://valorstudios.com/a-higher-call-book.htm) by a fellow historian and personal friend, Adam Makos. This new release -- already a New York Times bestseller -- chronicles one of the most intriguing (true) stories of chivalry in the skies over Europe during WWII. If you are a student of the war, interested in aviation history, or are at all familiar with the incredible story of Franz Stigler (Me-109, Me-262 pilot) and Charles Brown (B-17 pilot), this one is a must-read. Highly recommended!

AC

Mjolnir
05-11-13, 20:35
DIRTY WARS by Jeremy Scahill

and

FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE by F. William Engdahl

"One man with courage makes a majority."

philcam
05-11-13, 21:03
A Higher Call (http://valorstudios.com/a-higher-call-book.htm) by a fellow historian and personal friend, Adam Makos. This new release -- already a New York Times bestseller -- chronicles one of the most intriguing (true) stories of chivalry in the skies over Europe during WWII. If you are a student of the war, interested in aviation history, or are at all familiar with the incredible story of Franz Stigler (Me-109, Me-262 pilot) and Charles Brown (B-17 pilot), this one is a must-read. Highly recommended!

AC

AC,

A Higher Calling was fantastic! I read it a few months back.

If you are a fan of military aviation books, Low Level Hell is a good read. It's about hunter/killer helicopter teams in Vietnam.

05-11-13, 21:10
Of Mice And Men , Philosophy Of Chabad

Reading both right now. Started Of Mice and Men today. I understand why it's considered superb.

tb-av
05-11-13, 23:06
The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten (actually still reading this one)
The Music Lesson is really interesting. "Novelized" life philosophy.
--

Victor has a really unique way of relating music. I saw a couple of his Youtube videos and bought his DVD. I really enjoyed just listening to him talk. I might have to check out his book.

Deep Survival - Gonzales - Really enjoyed this

Survive! - Les Stroud - Enjoyable

Zen and the Art of Producing - Mixerman - Good insight to music production business

Mixing Secrets for the small studio - Mike Senior - Well laid out guide.

Bushcraft - Kochanski - Holy cow! if you are going to live that life, that's probably a good one to read.

ReaMix, Breaking the barriers with REAPER - Francis - Great how to guide for advanced techniques in REAPER audio.

Might have to pick something off a0cake's list next to totally blow my mind.

GeorgiaBoy
05-11-13, 23:16
Thomas Jefferson: Art of Power by Jon Meacham.

SeriousStudent
06-13-13, 23:21
I got Chief Kyle's book "American Gun" delivered last week. I'm about half-way through the book. I do like the conversational style, and it's got a lot of interesting facts.

The book has ten chapters discussing ten weapons. I'll learning about the Thompson now. :D

Magic_Salad0892
06-13-13, 23:35
I got Chief Kyle's book "American Gun" delivered last week. I'm about half-way through the book. I do like the conversational style, and it's got a lot of interesting facts.

The book has ten chapters discussing ten weapons. I'll learning about the Thompson now. :D

What weapons?

Zane1844
06-13-13, 23:43
"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Dostoevsky is becoming an interest of mine, and his works are now what I focus my studying on.

Magic_Salad0892
06-13-13, 23:44
"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Dostoevsky is becoming is becoming an interest of mine, and his works are now what I focus my studying on.

I LOVE that book.

Zane1844
06-13-13, 23:52
I LOVE that book.

What translation do you have? I have the Garnett, it was the first and the most widely read. Others, however, have been said to be "better" and closer to the original Russian. I have not felt that this book so far is hard or bad to read.

I just read "Notes From Underground," translated by Gernett as well, and it read fine.

Magic_Salad0892
06-14-13, 00:08
What translation do you have? I have the Garnett, it was the first and the most widely read. Others, however, have been said to be "better" and closer to the original Russian. I have not felt that this book so far is hard or bad to read.

I just read "Notes From Underground," translated by Gernett as well, and it read fine.

I had the Garnett translation. I'm not 100% sure though, because I gave it to my sister to read like a year ago, and haven't seen it in a while.

I need to re-buy it. That and The Idiot.

Matthew
06-14-13, 00:37
Last several books I've read have been a mix of new and old books I decided to read again:

BODY OF SECRETS - James Bamford (second of his books about the NSA, excellent and informative, but he is obviously left-leaning and it enters into his writing)

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand (re-read)

BLOODY HEROES - Damien Lewis (excellent book about British SBS operators)

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (re-read)

FEARLESS (Adam Brown story) - Eric Blehm

current
1984 - George Orwell (re-read - this and "Brave New World" are incredibly relevant in today's society)

next
CONTROL - Glenn Beck

THE SHADOW FACTORY - James Bamford

Alaskapopo
06-14-13, 01:33
I wish I had time to read.
Pat

Palmguy
06-14-13, 05:55
The Joy of Hate, by Greg Gutfeld

William B.
06-14-13, 06:45
Phantom Warriors Book I: LRRPs, LRPs, and Rangers in Vietnam. When I finish that I have 15 Months in SOG: A Warrior's Tour waiting on me.

tb-av
06-14-13, 07:47
The Pistol Shooter's Treasury

- kinda fun reading those old articles...

"now $69.95 is really all you need to spend on a good gun, but for double that you can have the very best" LOL... paraphrased

RancidSumo
06-14-13, 10:29

I've got the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of both those books as well as I think one (but maybe two) others of his. I haven't read any other translations to compare their's with but I felt they did an excellent job and I've seen almost universally great reviews of their Dostoevsky translations. Maybe I'll pick up Notes from Underground in a couple other translations to compare since it is so short.

ridgerunner70
07-02-13, 00:09
Just started "With Winning In Mind" by Lanny Bassham

khc3
07-02-13, 01:47
Valley of Death by Ted Morgan, a fairly recent history of Dien Bien Phu, and Rascal by Sterling North, one of my favorite books of childhood, with my 9 year-old son.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
07-02-13, 06:29
just finished Lone Survivor. Wow that is a moving book!

Started Modern day gunslinger

.46caliber
07-02-13, 11:48
Just finished Wasdin's autobiography and the Duck Commander book written by Willie and Korie Robertson.

Next on the list is Mike Durant's book or Phil Robertson's autobiography Happy, Happy, Happy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Aries144
07-02-13, 20:07
Just finished reading (again) Caiphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. Now reading Homer's Odyssey for the first time.

Need to cry? Dig up an old issue of Shotgun News and look at the prices. I found one from '01 and wish I'd had the money at the time to buy a pallet of those bins of South African surplus 5.56. :(

montanadave
07-10-13, 12:44
I've always been fascinated with the opacity surrounding the Federal Reserve since reading William Greider's excellent book Secrets of the Temple twenty years ago.

So I was interested to hear an interview with Brad Thor about his recently published novel Hidden Order: http://www.nationalreview.com/media/betweenthecovers/352944

I've yet to read it, but it's next in the fiction queue on my Kindle. From what I gather, it's a thriller about some nebulous conspiracy emanating from the Federal Reserve. Given the popularity of that institution amongst many of the membership here, I thought some members might enjoy it.

I'm unfamiliar with Brad Thor as an author, but his previous works certainly seem popular. Might make a descent summer read. We shall see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A25F0BW/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Straight Shooter
07-10-13, 14:48
Just yesterday bought a small pocket copy of The Constitution.
Gonna keep it with me at work for when some of those inbreds I work with, who never once in their lives EVER so much as read a single WORD of it, want to argue with me about something.
Cant WAIT for the "separation of church and state" argument.;)

PlatoCATM
07-10-13, 19:54
"Bringing it to the Table" by Wendell Berry. It's a collection of articles he's written on the virtues of old-school farming and the dangers of the current industrial farming system.

Crow Hunter
07-10-13, 20:01
Ummm...

The Creepy Archives reprints from Dark Horse Comics.

Does that count as a book? It is hardbound.

:D

I read one or 2 stories a night right before bed. I get some interesting dreams.

It is interesting to watch the "gist" of the stories change from the late 1950's through the early 1970's (Where I am now).

Definitely a turn to the Left.

High Tower
07-10-13, 23:58
Just finished Free Fall. The author spent 2 years in the Russian saboteurs as a sniper in Chechnya. Pretty wild story.

Next up is Rise and fall of the Third Reich and Walking Drum.