PDA

View Full Version : Remington R1 Enhanced

piesandcheese
08-01-12, 17:32
I'm in the market for a 45acp handgun. My first thought was to go with the obvious M&P 45 midsize, but then I started to consider something a bit fancier.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the R1 Enhanced? It seems to get great reviews across the internet and at $800, it seems to be an amazing deal for a "special feature-loaded" 1911.

Is this pistol generally held in high regard or would I be fooling myself to consider it "high end"?

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

http://usautoweapons.com/imagedb/image96135-0db1bbed60b77320abd5fa967de22ddc.jpg

Richard Belott
08-01-12, 20:19
I have shot one not bad I would rate it a mid level 1911.

John Fritz
08-01-12, 20:53
I think that one you're looking at is a very nice gun for the money. And it's simply a nice gun too.

I have the plain Jane R1 and am quite pleased with it. I haven't shot it a lot but I have handled it quite a bit and it's a well put together 1911. Ran me just about 600 dollars, zero complaints.

Yes. I would buy another.

piesandcheese
08-02-12, 11:37
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. I'm starting to feel pretty confident with this purchase. I'll continue to monitor this thread, so if anybody else has some input it would be greatly appreciated.

tctlrld
08-02-12, 11:44
The Remington R1 has someone of a bad reputation, at least if you spend time on forums. I have the basic R1 and I've been really happy with it for what it is (Basic 1911). Not what you asked, but for the money I think that the SIG 1911s brings a lot to the table. The only negative in the past was the nonstandard slide which made finding holsters a little tricky. But they just released the "traditional" version with a standard style slide. I would look at that!

G34
08-02-12, 13:09
The Remington R1 has someone of a bad reputation, at least if you spend time on forums. I have the basic R1 and I've been really happy with it for what it is (Basic 1911). Not what you asked, but for the money I think that the SIG 1911s brings a lot to the table. The only negative in the past was the nonstandard slide which made finding holsters a little tricky. But they just released the "traditional" version with a standard style slide. I would look at that!

I think you've got that backwards.

rathos
08-02-12, 19:31
I would rather have a springfield loaded...

piesandcheese
08-03-12, 14:50

yeah, and I'd rather be driving an Acura than a Civic.

If I was willing to spend $2,000 on a handgun, I wouldn't be asking about the R1 Enhanced.

C4IGrant
08-03-12, 15:11
Talking to 1911 pistolsmiths that have looked this gun over, it was not well thought of. In this budget, the Ruger is probably a better gun as would be the S&W E series for a little more money.

Or just get a Colt 1911.

C4

piesandcheese
08-03-12, 16:20
Thanks for the heads up, Grant!
What in particular did the smiths disapprove of?
Not that it makes that much of a difference. I'll be looking into the other models you specified. I'm just curious.

piesandcheese
08-03-12, 17:03

I apologize for the smart-ass response I gave you. I'm finding the Springfield "Loaded" for around $850-$900 on gunbroker.

Now I'm leaning towards spending the little extra and getting the Springfield. Any objections on the Springfield "Loaded"?

Navymid2011
08-03-12, 17:05
yeah, and I'd rather be driving an Acura than a Civic.

If I was willing to spend $2,000 on a handgun, I wouldn't be asking about the R1 Enhanced.

The Springfield Loaded is going to cost you about the same amount as the R1. ~$800. Your options in this price range are:

Springfield Loaded
Remington R1
Kimber Custom II/TLE II
S&W (Basic Models)
Colt 1991

Having been down this road, I would go with either the Colt and shoot it, and actually decide what modifications you want, or the Springfield. But do not buy a Springfield sight unseen. Their guns have a huge variance in quality, so don't buy one that you can't look at in person first, and evaluate fit and finish.

rathos
08-03-12, 19:47
Glad you wrote this before I gave my smart ass reply ;) I have had one for about 6 years and many thousands of rounds. No issues with it what so ever. I have it looked at every year by a local shop to make sure that the parts still look good, and I did replace the full length guide rod with a GI setup. So far the only thing I have had to replace is recoil and firing pin springs. My night sights are also getting a bit dim, but I have been thinking about replacing them with Heine straight 8s so that isn't much of an issue.

I would say spend the extra and get the springfield any day of the R1 enhanced

I apologize for the smart-ass response I gave you. I'm finding the Springfield "Loaded" for around $850-$900 on gunbroker.

Now I'm leaning towards spending the little extra and getting the Springfield. Any objections on the Springfield "Loaded"?

John Fritz
08-03-12, 19:48
... What in particular did the smiths disapprove of? ...
I'm curious too. Seemed like a good gun for the money.

~kev~
08-29-12, 16:13
I have a 1911 R1, and so far I am not happy with it.

Out of the first 100 rounds it probably had 8 malfunctions.

Now that I am between the 300 - 400 round mark, I have about 1 - 2 malfunctions per 100 rounds.

Went shooting a couple of weeks ago, had a stovepipe at around 30 rounds or so.

This with Mec-Gar, wilson combat and the factory 1911 magazines that came with the pistol.

Ir0nHide
08-29-12, 16:25
Get the Springfield. That's what i would have gotten, but a guy hard up for cash sold me his almost new Kimber Custom II for $650, so i couldn't pass it up.

John Fritz
08-29-12, 17:47
I have a 1911 R1, and so far I am not happy with it. ...
Have you contacted Remington C.S.? What did they say?

MTD
09-09-12, 23:44
You're located in one of the free States; look up the Ruger 1911 before finalizing your 1911 "hit list".