PDA

View Full Version : Tango Down ARC mags (the original ones)

Animal_Mother556
08-01-12, 20:37
I bought a couple of them for cheap from DSG arms. These were the original configuration (the ones they had problems with). I bought them just to see what's what.

Filled them both with 28 rounds, and neither one worked. Rounds were nosediving every two or three rounds.

Anyways...shall I throw them in the trash? Is there any way to make them work?

ST911
08-01-12, 20:54
I bought a couple of them for cheap from DSG arms. These were the original configuration (the ones they had problems with). I bought them just to see what's what.

Filled them both with 28 rounds, and neither one worked. Rounds were nosediving every two or three rounds.

Anyways...shall I throw them in the trash? Is there any way to make them work?

Are you testing them in live-fire, or dry handling? The rounds in many of my early ARCs don't seem to clear the front of the mag fully when loaded, but run reliably in live-fire.

5pins
08-01-12, 21:08
Contact Tango Down they will replace them with the newer ones.

Animal_Mother556
08-01-12, 21:19
Yes, this is live fire...no go

Good to know about TD replacing them. Do they want me to ship them the old ones?

ffhounddog
08-01-12, 21:35
yes send in the old ones.

WEC
08-01-12, 21:44
Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep one around for malfunction drills.

ST911
08-01-12, 22:11
What are the particulars of your rifle (upper, lower, etc)? Manufacturer?

Animal_Mother556
08-01-12, 22:31
What are the particulars of your rifle (upper, lower, etc)? Manufacturer?

PWA lower receiver
Superior Arms upper receiver 16inch carbine gas
M4 feedramps

Lots of rounds through that set-up and hardly any issues (20 round Pmags seemed to cause double feeds with this rifle, and other rifles that I tried). I have since sold this rifle and have a BCM coming.

Would it be worth trying these mags in the BCM? Or just sending them in, getting the new ones and be done with it?

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-12, 22:44
PWA lower receiver
M4 feedramps

Lots of rounds through that set-up and hardly any issues (20 round Pmags seemed to cause double feeds with this rifle, and other rifles that I tried). I have since sold this rifle and have a BCM coming.

Would it be worth trying these mags in the BCM? Or just sending them in, getting the new ones and be done with it?

I would try them with your new BCM. I've been using half a dozen of the gen1 ARC mags for 2+ years with no failures in most of my rifles, specifically including BCM and DD midlength 16's. I have experienced failures when trying to use them in a Del-Ton and a friend's POF - neither of which has M4 feedramps, which I thought was the likely cause. They are some of my favorite mags for competition and training use, and have been used in at least 10 competitions. I'll admit that I might pause at using them for defensive purposes given the failures in the two rifles noted.

ST911
08-01-12, 22:46
PWA lower receiver
M4 feedramps

Problems with early ARCs tended to trend toward guns made to less consistent standards. The BCM is known-good, and will likely work with them.

Animal_Mother556
08-01-12, 22:58
Alright, I will probably hold off and try them in the BCM.

If anyone gives a crap, i will update you all in a few days...

HKBanger
08-02-12, 08:22
Let me know how it turns out.

I just bought a couple of these for $10 each not realizing that the first generation had these issues, which would explain why they were $10 shipped brand new!!!

I'll be running them in my BCM but likely won't be able to try them for a couple of weeks. I was going to just call TangoDown and ask for replacements but if they work in my AR then that's all I care.

If they DO run nicely in BCM's then I'll probably even snag some more for $10; especially if TD will replace them with the 2nd generation "MK2" version of them.

Littlelebowski
08-02-12, 10:38
This worked for me.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/01/problem-with-tango-down-arc-ar15.html

ST911
08-02-12, 11:03
Which of the Mk1 mags do you have? L/R in each pic? (Sorry, I reversed them when I took them some time ago.)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/LE6920%20Hammer%20Drag%20Damage/ARC%20Mags/58f17a10.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/LE6920%20Hammer%20Drag%20Damage/ARC%20Mags/111466f2.jpg

Animal_Mother556
08-02-12, 11:21
This worked for me.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/01/problem-with-tango-down-arc-ar15.html

You know.....I thought to myself, "Hell, just take a file or a dremel to the damn things!" Then thought..."No, there is no way it could be that easy."

I will try this.

Thanks, Dude. I'll buy you a Caucasian if we ever end up in a bar somewhere.

5pins
08-02-12, 18:25
Brownells has them on sale for $5ea right now.

seb5
08-02-12, 19:39
Brownells has them on sale for $5ea right now.

And has for a while now. That's a clue.

Littlelebowski
08-02-12, 20:23
And has for a while now. That's a clue.

Not to me. I bought a few.

.45fmjoe
08-02-12, 21:03
Not to me. I bought a few.

Same here. Plus TD will back them if there is a problem with them.

Animal_Mother556
08-02-12, 22:14
The BCM upper shipped today...I will try to get to the range with it and let you know how they work with no modifications

HKBanger
08-03-12, 08:13
I was just in contact with TangoDown and they will be sending me a mailing label to ship the magazines back and get the newest generation. Thumbs up for their customer service! Still looking forward to hearing how the ARC's run in your BCM.

TACAV
08-03-12, 09:37
ha at $5 a piece I bought 5 of them from Brownells. If they shit the bed I can get them replaced for the new fixed ones. So in the end I am basically getting 5 MK2 mags at a great price.

In the very least ill get some new training mags for malfunctions.

ST911
08-03-12, 10:47
OP- Can you look at the pics I posted and tell me which mag you have?

HCM
08-03-12, 13:25
I recently purchased 20 ARC mags from Brownells. I took 3 of them out to the range on two separate occasions and ran each fully loaded with 30 rounds of Federal 62 grain soft point .223. Like P Mags, the ARCs are supposed to work with a full 30 rounds.

First, I tried them in my duty rifle, a stock Colt M-4, known reliable with this ammo using GI mags and P mags. I got multiple failures to feed using the ARC mags. The first round chambered and fired followed by failures to feed ( bolt over base) every round in the first half of the magazine. These were live rounds partially in the chamber with the bolt over the rear of the case. Once the mag was down to about 15 rounds it would function 100% I repeated this this four times with the same results.

I then tried the ARC mags in my personal S&W M&P 15T and LMT rifles - Both rifles ran 100% with the ARCs.

Finally, I tried the ARC mags in two of our spare Colt M-4’s at work. One ran 100% with the ARCs and the other had multiple failures to feed just like my duty rifle.

Tango Down is standing behind their product. Here is TD’s response to my E mail describing these issues:

“We are sorry that you are having trouble with the Gen 1 mags. Please use the attached form and return all the mags to us for inspection and replacement with the latest MK2 mags.”

Though they worked in 3 out of the five rifles I tried, I sent the mags back to TD for exchange.

G-lock
08-03-12, 13:40
I bought 10 awhile ago for my SCAR and they work perfectly in both the SCAR and my BCM gun.

Bought a bunch more yesterday...:D

Rayrevolver
08-03-12, 14:24
The mags were in-stock last night. Out-of-stock today, and then completely removed from Brownells.

Looks like I missed out.

Ak44
08-04-12, 03:07
I ordered 15, we'll see what happens. If they don't pan out I'll just get in touch with TD

Animal_Mother556
08-04-12, 07:34
OP- Can you look at the pics I posted and tell me which mag you have?

Crap! sorry...I forgot

It appears to me that I have the RIGHT magazine in the UPPER photo...

richiecotite
08-04-12, 17:36
The mags were in-stock last night. Out-of-stock today, and then completely removed from Brownells.

Looks like I missed out.

DSGarms has them for 6.50

I ordered 4 tuesday, got them in friday. i like how they look and feel. loaded 1 up with 20 rounds of xtac 193 and manually cycled rounds (i realize it's not the same as firing and not a suitable test for reliability). After about 15, got a bolt override malfunction.

I have seen on the other site a fix for mk1 issues. basically file down part of the front of mag and that should help alleviate problems. Going to to try that on 2 mags then hopefully i'll get to try them out soon to see how it works.

HCM
08-06-12, 11:24
I had the same issues - Contact Tango Down - They stand behind their products and will replace them with Mk 2's if they aren't 100 %

Tootsies
08-06-12, 12:17
I ordered 20 from brownells with free shipping. For 5 bucks a pop and since TD stands behind them, it seemed like a win win.

Animal_Mother556
08-10-12, 09:38
UPDATE -- -- -- -- --

Just got back from the range. Put the first rounds through my new BCM LW midlength upper. I took ONE of the two ARC mags that I have (forgot the second one, due to being a dumbass)

I ran 60 rounds through the ARC mag...flawless.

It's amazing how the quality of the rifle/upper receiver effects things...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/BCM1.jpg

HCM
08-27-12, 14:44
Just an update - Tango Down replaced 30 ARC mags for myself and co-worker with Mk -2 's. kudos to TD Customer Service !