PDA

View Full Version : clueless

Travelingchild
08-01-12, 21:39
Strange dilemma, Some how my bosses think that because I take pistol and carbine classes that I must know how to shoot a shot gun.:blink:
I was asked by Boss 2 if I wanted to go to a private hunting ranch in for a Sporting Clay, trap skeet competition. I respectfully declined stating I know NOTHING about shotguns or sporting clays etc.
His Boss #1 jumps in NO your going as part of the company team. Me But I know NOTHING about this shit! Him "Well you shoot guns don't you!":cray: Your going ! Me "well okay".
So they're going to supply the shotguns and all the ammo. Should I ,20 gauge 12gauge overunder/sideby side/pump/ or auto. I'm 5'7" 125 lbs.
I'm going to be milling around with guys that probably make over 200thou a year so I really don't want to be a total clueless idiot.

jhs1969
08-01-12, 23:31
In that situation I would expect to see a lot of over/unders. Just remember, with a shotgun, to focus on the target, not the sight/bead. I'm not much of a shotgunner myself either, but that has been successful for me. Good luck.

VaeVictis
08-01-12, 23:51
From my experience with shotguns, if you're not very familiar with them a simple pump is much easier to get used to than an over under.

ETA: I'm 5'5'' 145lbs and have no problem with a 12 gauge. Know how to shoulder a shotgun and use a propper stance and a 12 gauge will be easy to shoot.

gunnut284
08-02-12, 02:57
I would suggest a 20g over/under, you are a smaller guy and the 12g field guns are big for me (and I have a few inches and pounds on you). Remember you are just looking down the rib, not sighting, and remember to keep the gun moving. Don't stop when you pull the trigger, keep following through with the shot.

Travelingchild
08-02-12, 06:58
Thanks, I'm off to the local range to practice this weekend. I'll try a couple of different shotguns. leaning towards a 20 gauge of some type.

I'm guessing this is more of a smooze fest so my big boss can make connections and line up another large project,( think golf but with shotguns) than a serious competition.

More I read the waiver and other paperwork It sounds like fun(More if I knew what I was doing, LOL)

Even if I screw this up, Get Breakfast , lunch, Dinner, and happy hour cocktails after the fact

Hopefully, I won't get fired If we score badly!

Texas42
08-02-12, 07:08
Trust me, shotguns, and shooting clays is lots of fun. A lot more fun than static range stuff.

12 gauge will be easier because of more lead in the air, but I prefer 20 gauge. The ammo is the same price.

Travelingchild
08-02-12, 07:44
The ammo is the same price.
Not an issue cause I ain't paying for any of it!:p

I think we get driven around in custom off road golf carts!:D

I was also told during an actual pheasant hunting event they have veterinarians on standby for the dogs if they over heat etc.

I think I'm in way over my head and in the wrong social class......:blink:

skatz11
08-02-12, 09:12
In that situation I would expect to see a lot of over/unders. Just remember, with a shotgun, to focus on the target, not the sight/bead. I'm not much of a shotgunner myself either, but that has been successful for me. Good luck.

This and make sure to keep your head down. A good cheekweld and eye on the bird and you will be good to go. You will quickly learn to keep the gun moving as well. I don't shoot clays much, but I tend to do better the less I think about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

spclk
08-02-12, 11:52
Eek. The invitation you've received is a dream come true for so many people and you're worried about being 'outclassed' because they make too much money?

If you know how to shoot safely, you're going to do fine. Quit whining and enjoy yourself.

glocktogo
08-02-12, 12:42
Research some basic principles on wingshooting and you'll probably beat a lot of them. Lead and follow through are important.

Personally, I really like autos in 20ga. If it's a gas gun like a Beretta or Remington, they shoot soft and feel right. After the auto, I'd pick O/U.

High Tower
08-02-12, 16:11
Another huge tip for fitting in with that crowd -

Safeties might as well not exist as they are not used by most of them. Keep your action open unless you are actually shooting and you will get along fine with them.

I would stick with a 12 gauge as you get more shot per shot. You will see a lot of double guns - some with release triggers.

Shotgun sports are a lot of fun. Have a good time!

Travelingchild
08-07-12, 17:42
Soo, went to practice using a 870.. One was in 20 gauge that was fun! Tried a 870 12 gauge way to punishing for my midget self..LOL .:) Went through 50 rounds 20 gauge & 25 rounds of 12 gauge.. By the way I suck..Got to work on the "swing through"after the trigger press.

Picked up a padded upland shooter shirt. Hope that helps with the recoil.

Picked up shot gun my boss said I be using...20 gauge side by side..

What's with the dual triggers? and which one do I use first?

Googled the manufacturer It's worth about 5 grand fancy engraving and all. Hope I don't drop it.:blink:

Only 2 more practice days....

glocktogo
08-07-12, 22:05
Soo, went to practice using a 870.. One was in 20 gauge that was fun! Tried a 870 12 gauge way to punishing for my midget self..LOL .:) Went through 50 rounds 20 gauge & 25 rounds of 12 gauge.. By the way I suck..Got to work on the "swing through"after the trigger press.

Picked up a padded upland shooter shirt. Hope that helps with the recoil.

Picked up shot gun my boss said I be using...20 gauge side by side..

What's with the dual triggers? and which one do I use first?

Googled the manufacturer It's worth about 5 grand fancy engraving and all. Hope I don't drop it.:blink:

Only 2 more practice days....

Does said SXS have choke tubes? If not, one barrel should have more choke constriction than the other, for longer shots. That will dictate which one to use first.

Good luck!

High Tower
08-07-12, 22:10
With double triggers, figure out which one fire which barrel. This is important depending on what choke which barrel has. For doubles, save the tighter choke for the second shot.

Its not as easy as it looks, but it is fun.

LHS
08-08-12, 00:39
Try a push-pull technique to mitigate recoil. Push out with the support hand as you pull the stock in snug to your shoulder with the strong hand, as if you're trying to pull the gun apart at the receiver. It'll soak about half the recoil into your forearms rather than letting it hit your shoulder. I've been shooting shotguns for years, and I can testify that it works.

Travelingchild
08-08-12, 21:22
Well tried again with the loaner shot gun. Did better averaged 16 out of 25 in two sets of sporting clays, figured out the double trigger thing.
Almost have the lead and follow through figured out..Bear in mind literally the 2nd time in my life I've done this.

Oh here's a link to my loaner..
http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/24144.htm

I stand corrected it's only a $4300 shotgun, Still hope I don't drop it.:cray:

jhs1969
08-08-12, 23:46
Well tried again with the loaner shot gun. Did better averaged 16 out of 25 in two sets of sporting clays, figured out the double trigger thing.
Almost have the lead and follow through figured out..Bear in mind literally the 2nd time in my life I've done this.

Sounds like your'e begining to "get it", I remember as a young teenager, once it "clicked" I began to get good consistent hits on moving targets. But that was a long time ago and far far away.:fie:

glocktogo
08-08-12, 23:51

Haha, I feel you. It was the same for me when I was holding this:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0957.jpg

In a vault full of guns in the low to mid 5 figure range, this one didn't even have a price. :blink:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0939.jpg

Travelingchild
08-09-12, 07:04
In a vault full of guns in the low to mid 5 figure range, this one didn't even have a price. :blink:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0939.jpg

Wait a Sec! That looks like the collection we just built a custom walnut gun room For! Your not related to my last client are YOU? He handed me a H & H that was leaning against a rock fireplace somewhat haphazardly I might add, after setting it down, He told me what it was worth, Almost had a heart attack...:cray:

Texas42
08-09-12, 08:05
beautiful gun!

I hope I never have a gun so beautiful I'm afraid to shoot the shit out of it. . . . . Well not more than a couple.

: )

Travelingchild
08-18-12, 19:33
Well I officially suck at this!:fie: so we're getting ready to shoot the trap? 1st even 5 shooter stations 1 house 25 rds. Boss hands me a total different shot gun over/under vs the Badddd Idea. 2nd event flurries or swarm , all 4 team members on the line birds launched left or right till all 25 rounds expended everyone shooting same time did better.
3rd event 10 houses 5 shooter stations, each station 1single, 2 call,2true. Better
After lunch goes rapidly down hill, 14 stations up against hillside or open field. spaced about 75 yards apart single shooter either 6 or 8 rds. Hell I couldn't even see most of the birds against the background.
Was it fun Sure, would I do it again probably not, My one consulation was the guy whose place I took from last year claimed to be good! & he was at my level....

Travelingchild
08-18-12, 19:35
Well here it is,
http://www.lazytriplecreek.com/

42 thousand per day for a party of eight, if I understood correctly,$5250 per person parties generally stay 2 days.

VaeVictis
08-18-12, 19:44
Whether you sucked or not, it had to have been a good time. If you're used to shooting static targets with a rifle, clays will definitely take some getting used to. Don't be discouraged if your not great from the get go, clays are a lot of fun and you'll find that you get better the more you do it.

HES
08-19-12, 00:50
Exactly. Shooting for free and in such a gorgeous location? Man I've got two ranges near by and have never been.

Travelingchild
08-23-12, 21:49
Not what I did but video of actual hunting events..

http://www.blixtco.com/stat/ShootingEstates/dsamericaltcr.htm