- the Bolt Carrier group
+ Colt Semi bolt carrier group
+ Midwest Ind Carbine length rail system
+ Mil surplus BUIS
+ Aimpoint Comp
+ Surefire 952
+ Magpul AFG

And you have a nice little carbine for under $1600.00

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6498/cmmg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/cmmg.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

irishhitman
08-02-12, 17:59
I will eventually add some paint to it... just not sure what scheme I want.
There may be a new grip as well either a Tango Down or MIAD> just not sure what I want.

Leonidas24
08-02-12, 22:29
Does that Aimpoint clear the front sight post?

irishhitman
08-02-12, 22:33
Not at present awaiting a new larue mount to give her a lift!

yallknowho
08-04-12, 12:26
you could have done a lot better for 1600 bucks.

polymorpheous
08-04-12, 12:49
you could have done a lot better for 1600 bucks.

Seriously.

Complete BCM built on a blem lower can be had for >$1000.
Why choose a lesser product?

irishhitman
08-04-12, 17:29
Seriously.

Complete BCM built on a blem lower can be had for >$1000.
Why choose a lesser product?

If you can build me this gun with a BMC NON Blem...with the Aimpoint, Surefire, Redi Mag, etc... for under $999...... I will buy it.

yallknowho
08-04-12, 18:01
If you can build me this gun with a BMC NON Blem...with the Aimpoint, Surefire, Redi Mag, etc... for under $999...... I will buy it.

but you'll spend 1600 on something inferior?

irishhitman
08-04-12, 18:05
but you'll spend 1600 on something inferior?

What makes the CMMG so inferior to the BCM...
I have used m4 platforms since 1994 and M16 platforms since 1986.... not seeing that big a difference in those to weapons.

If it puts rounds out accurately and reliably.... all the other shit is nuance.

polymorpheous
08-04-12, 18:41
Off the top off my head...
CMMG put out a bunch of barrels with non-concentric bore.

yallknowho
08-04-12, 18:47
There are just better quality parts made by more dependable, attentive companies out there for the money.

the light and stock are odd choices too. That light is huge. I'm surprised you can get a grip on the weapon with that behemoth. that aimpoint needs to be moved forward as well.

irishhitman
08-04-12, 18:54
Got the Duo Stock on my second deployment. The light works fine and with the Aimpoint.... I have clear view when stock is opened. Collapsed to fit in rack. Pulled out for pic.

Ran very close to same a few years back.. with 203 rather than AFG under it. Ran fine.

Would I be crazy to begin my next build with a LWRC lower?

polymorpheous
08-04-12, 19:01
Doesn't matter what lower you use as long as it specs out.

The most important part of the rifle is the barrel and bolt.
CMMG is not known for putting out quality upper receiver groups.

The duo-stock was made to be used with body armor.
Is this how you plan on running this rifle?

The_War_Wagon
08-04-12, 19:31

You're gonna weep when you read this... :cray:

This was a build I did on a tight budget awhile back - I'm posting the original pics, so you can check it out.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/COMPLETE.jpg

Precision Aero complete lower, WITH ARF-X stock - $150 off another board, delivered.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/100_6123.jpg

Lightly used (> 500 rounds) complete BCM upper off this - board - LaRue fixed rear sight included - $500 delivered

Used Troy drop-in rail - $35

(NEWER PIC - different stock at this point)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/BCM_rifle.jpg

Aimpoint Comp M2 w/QRP mount, rubber armor, & flashkill - $200 delievered!

Used AVG - $15

Sling - $35

Gear Sector Mount, new - $55

I'm at $990 at this point. Granted, the DD sling rail mount was another $35, and the Surefire E1B isn't cheap, but I'd had it laying around. I was in fact trying to sell that light, but decided to keep and utilize it instead. All told, I'm STILL $500 cheaper than your CMMG at this point.

I've since changed to an MOE, and then a CTR stock, a Troy rear sight, and a complete BCM blem lower from Grant, for a complete BCM rifle. I'm STILL running the Comp M2, in a ADM mount now.

I too, set OUT to build a 'budget' rifle, but I can't even seem to do that! :p Even my BUDGET rifle turned into a better quality rifle in time... but it can be done, with some SERIOUS scrounging, wheeling & dealing, and PATIENCE, in finding GOOD gear - from 'motivated sellers' - at a GOOD price.

This is what it looks like now, for reference. It's around a $1200 +/- rifle in this configuration! :D

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/RIFLE1-1.jpg

far9mm
08-04-12, 20:03
Nice budget build!

Iraqgunz
08-04-12, 20:10
Not gonna raid on anyones parade, but 1600.00 is not a budget build. For that price i know exactly what can be had.

HKBanger
08-04-12, 20:13
CMMG makes terrible products. The quality control and overall quality is an absolute miss. You could have put together a complete BCM for under $1000 and then thrown an Aimpoint on and still be just shy of $1,500. The quality is 5x that of a CMMG. Put 5,000 rounds through that CMMG piece o' garbage and you're going to be understanding the difference between CMMG and BCM reeeeeal quick, my friend.

Not trying to bash your rifle, BUT to claim that CMMG is even remotely close to the quality of BCM is very misleading for anyone that does not know better.

You could have bought a Knights Armament SR-15 on the EE here for what you paid for a ... *cough* ... CMMG ... :blink:

Steve S.
08-04-12, 20:43
And you have a nice little carbine for under $1600.00

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6498/cmmg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/cmmg.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I'd move that Aimpoint a bit forward so your BUIS isn't kissing it. I know you said the much needed mount is on the way, so you're good there.

This is what it looks like now, for reference. It's around a $1200 +/- rifle in this configuration! :D

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/RIFLE1-1.jpg

You have to move your Aimpoint back. Keep the mounting screw off the handguard. Use the furthest rail slot on the upper. Or if you have to have it that far forward (you don't unless you run a 3x magnifier or NV), look at the dedicated cantilever mounts for this position.

I know a couple people who have had CMMGs, and they are nothing but problems. Limited first hand experience there.

Mr Elbowseed
08-04-12, 20:45
I came in @ just over 1k with a bcm mid 16 upper, bcm blem lower, bcm bcg, used Troy buis,magpul ctr stock and a moe hanguard :D

El Cid
08-05-12, 00:34
How is pinning a complete upper to a complete lower and accessorizing it a custom build?

rob_s
08-05-12, 06:24
How is pinning a complete upper to a complete lower and accessorizing it a custom build?

Because: special snowflake

Mauser KAR98K
08-05-12, 12:51
Sir, minus my Aimpoint that I had paid a little too much for 3 years ago and the flashlight which i have taken off, THIS came in just $87 over your $1,600 budget carbine:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6788286926_ca256877d3_b.jpg

Noveske Flared lower: $250+$40 for the transfer fee.
LMT Gen1 MRP with barrel: $900 from a member here.
DD Parts kit: $65.
Magpul UBR: $218
BCM BCG: $149
Magpul AFG. $30
Magpul MIAD: $35

All this adds up to a super reliable, 3-gun, home defense and homeland defense weapon system that hardly kicks.

My friend, someone sold you a pig-in-a-poke, mostly through bad information.

LeroyRT
08-05-12, 13:20
^ AND you don't have a donkey dick stock.

Mauser KAR98K
08-05-12, 13:22
^ AND you don't have a donkey dick stock.

I thought that was a crude antenna.:D

I've never really seen a duo stock that much, nor do i know the use of them, except maybe tacticool.

I do own a Gretsch Duo Jet, but that is something completely different, but still came under $1600.

Question: Parts you have lying around that you have acquired over the past 2 to 3years; do those count in this "game?"

irishhitman
08-06-12, 21:36
Seriously glad I joined this board.
I have had most of this shit given to me over the years at the cost of the taxpayer. LOL! Now, I can get more into the commercial side of these systems.

I will be looking over the posts a lot. It appears that Bravo has a ton of fans here. As deployments come and go.. I will be adding to my gun and parts collection. I look forward to learning as much as I can from you all. I appreciate the constructive criticisms, comparisons, and ideas.

hikeeba
08-09-12, 07:41
Because: special snowflake

:laugh: I'd pay 86$ for a stripped lower with a 'limited edition one-of-a-kind*' Special Snowflake rollmark.

*Of course, all of the rollmarks would be identical.

irishhitman
08-09-12, 08:38
Sir, minus my Aimpoint that I had paid a little too much for 3 years ago and the flashlight which i have taken off, THIS came in just $87 over your $1,600 budget carbine:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6788286926_ca256877d3_b.jpg

Noveske Flared lower: $250+$40 for the transfer fee.
LMT Gen1 MRP with barrel: $900 from a member here.
DD Parts kit: $65.
Magpul UBR: $218
BCM BCG: $149
Magpul AFG. $30
Magpul MIAD: $35

All this adds up to a super reliable, 3-gun, home defense and homeland defense weapon system that hardly kicks.

My friend, someone sold you a pig-in-a-poke, mostly through bad information.

Yet,
You carry an M&P.... that makes you suspect for all realms of reason.

Koshinn
08-09-12, 09:03
Yet,
You carry an M&P.... that makes you suspect for all realms of reason.

Let me guess, you're a 1911 only guy?

irishhitman
08-09-12, 09:20
Let me guess, you're a 1911 only guy?
Started with the 1911, then went to an M9, Sig 226 & 228 then used a Glock 17 for a few years... carried them for work not for fun. All combat proven weapon systems.

slowkota
08-10-12, 23:24
That Duo stock is the wierdest stock I've ever seen on an AR. Whats the deal with that thing?

jasonhgross
08-21-12, 12:59
Started with the 1911, then went to an M9, Sig 226 & 228 then used a Glock 17 for a few years... carried them for work not for fun. All combat proven weapon systems.

What is your experience with the M&P? Are you aware Pat Rogers shoots them?

You have a douostock, you are not permitted to comment on the M&P.

And no, I am not an M&P guy (glocks) but several people I respect, who know more about them than you do, rely on them.

irishhitman
08-21-12, 13:09
What is your experience with the M&P? Are you aware Pat Rogers shoots them?

You have a douostock, you are not permitted to comment on the M&P.

And no, I am not an M&P guy (glocks) but several people I respect, who know more about them than you do, rely on them.

Jason,
We can debate this all day... as we can debate what toilet paper we like and use and why.
I used this platform as a "fun" build. I am not going to theater with this gun.
I have run a Duo and it worked on an Interceptor IBA in 2002. Since you decided to input your expert advice on my build, I would not care if stated Jesus carried an M&P. We will have to agree to disagree. Don't like my build, easy.... don't build one like it.

markm
08-21-12, 13:38
At least you have an Aimpoint. :)

CMMG has a long history of mediocrity and inconsistency. Many of their parts are on par with, if not supplied by DPMS.

My buddy did a group buy on some middy uppers years back and they put the gas port and/or the FSB in the wrong spot.... then tried to tell him it would still work.

Don't take it personal... it's just that there are guys here who've suffered with Bushmaster, DPMS, CMMG, etc.

Just take rsilvers example of what it takes to get an extractor pin made of the best material possible. Do you think that CMMG is doint those kinds of things? HELL NO.

munch520
08-21-12, 15:15

You're in a good mood today mark! :p

DiabhailGadhar
08-23-12, 10:44
You're in a good mood today mark! :p

no sh!t....lol.

Look Irish...it is what it is...you should have seen the lashing I took after my first build..I dropped like 1700 without an optic and that was on a spikes tactical..we all make mistakes. I didnt know any better and guess what I do now. you have to realize that there is "mil-spec" and then there's "MIL-SPEC" some companies say they do shit the right way and just simply dont. use the search key and you'll be able to read all about it. this website is awesome you just have to have thick skin and you'll learn a tremendous amount of knowledge. Alot of what gets spewed around the military isnt necessarily the truth, we'd all like to think we know what we're talking about but its mostly here say and BS. I now know the Marine Corps is full of gun shop commandos I just didnt realize it until after I joined here. Just like the Corps though there is an abrasize atmosphere here in order to keep the learning curve high. take it with a grain of salt...you will find the occaisonal dickwad just repeating what monitors have written without any first hand account but those guys get beat by there wives any way....lol.

by the way my second build was an m16a4 knock off that i built with all colt and BCM parts..for less then $950...like i said learning curve...; )

munch520
08-23-12, 12:36
Jason,
We can debate this all day... as we can debate what toilet paper we like and use and why.
Charmin or get out. :p

I used this platform as a "fun" build. I am not going to theater with this gun.
Regardless of use, a waste of money is a waste of money. Unless you have "fun" wasting money. Then mission accomplished!

I would not care if stated Jesus carried an M&P. We will have to agree to disagree. Don't like my build, easy.... don't build one like it.
What is your reason for dissatisfaction? There's no shortage of opinions on this board. Your input becomes of value when you start substantiating said opinions with firsthand experience.

TehLlama
08-23-12, 14:00

CMMG has a long history of mediocrity and inconsistency. Many of their parts are on par with, if not supplied by DPMS.

My buddy did a group buy on some middy uppers years back and they put the gas port and/or the FSB in the wrong spot.... then tried to tell him it would still work.

Don't take it personal... it's just that there are guys here who've suffered with Bushmaster, DPMS, CMMG, etc.

Just take rsilvers example of what it takes to get an extractor pin made of the best material possible. Do you think that CMMG is doint those kinds of things? HELL NO.

I have 4 CMMG's - two peaches, and two lemons. Not a really good success rate. I've got one that I've put $1750 into, and it's not a budget build, but is still an effective rifle, but only because they were selling the LW 14.7" uppers for actually good prices 5 years ago, and that after I removed the horrible DPMS LPK from that lower and replaced it with a G&R one did it perform correctly. Still a backup-only rifle. The other 'good' one still required me to replac the BCG with an LMT unit, but since then it's been a really solid rifle - but SOCOM profile M4A1 barrel was still a dumb noob choice I made.

There was a time when CMMG was the only outfit that offered certain configurations (Lightweight 1:7 CL barrels), and when they were smaller the QA was better. That time has passed, and CMMG has fallen completely by the wayside.

markm
08-23-12, 14:03
That's kinda been the thing with CMMG. Inconsistency.