PDA

View Full Version : So I have this post-ban Bushmaster. SPR?

Mauser KAR98K
08-02-12, 23:25
My dear dad has relegated his Post ban B(M)ushmaster carbine to me. He is in bad health, trying to pull out of it, but he is giving me a few things he may not be able to enjoy in the near future. (Poor man has been in the hospital since last November).

This year I am going after Bambi, considering the price of beef and chicken is about to sky-rocket this fall-winter, no thanks to the drought. There is also a good possibility I might do some hog hunting as well.

Which brings me to my idea (also a valid excuse:D), and a few questions.

The Bushmaster has a 16" upper but with an A2 lower. Thanks to the Brady bunch, this screaming carbine, with a rifle stock, gave me a concussion when I was 16 (concrete floor, tin roof and sponge ear plugs are not a good combination for a .223 that has an AK-74 muzzle brake). Needless to say, I do not like the upper.

I have done lowers before, but uppers are a new thing for me. I know I need to get a barrel nut and wrench. but my plan/idea is this:

Rainier Arms match grade upper.
Noveske SPR 18" barrel.
Troy 15" Alpha forearm system.
Either a Smith Enterprises Vortex; or
AAC SPR M4 black out (the long one).

I am considering the Vortex due to my LMT MRP has one perminatly attached and I am looking to get a suppressor to fit it, and might as well fit the SPR. However, will a muzzle brake, or the AAC suit the SPR better?

Does the 18" SPR's perform well with a rifle buffer tube, buffer and sprong?

Any possible mating difficulties I might have with a post ban lower (aside that it is a Mushmaster)?

Anything else I might want to consider for parts and what not? I am trying to keep it under $1,000, or even under $900. I was considering a Rainier 18" SPR match barrel, but they are out of stock at the moment.

Again, this is going to basically be for hunting, but will also be a fun gun to take out to the longer ranges and stretch the legs some.

Merle
08-03-12, 14:04
Too bad you aren't closer because I have all the tools to do an upper. I even live close to Rainer Arms..lol. I don't see you having a problem swapping out the barrel with something better unless there are some local laws where you lIve that I don't know about that say you can't. Im actually in the process of UN-neutering a postban bushmaster that my brother bought back in the late 90's. I've used a rifle buffer and spring on an 18" midlentgth before without issues. Your upper probably doesn't have m4 feedramps so try to get a barrel that doesn't either but even if you can't it shouldn't make a difference.

Mauser KAR98K
08-04-12, 00:37
Yeah, this is going to be a total upper build. A4 upper with the barrel having M4 feed ramps. The current upper is a stock A2, so, no flat top, or feed ramps. Its the lower I am going to use and am hoping I will not have any problems with it.

Anyone have one of the new APEX forearm systems? they seem a little cheaper than the Troy, more of my speed, but not the length I am looking of (15").

Thanks again.

wetidlerjr
08-04-12, 16:04
I have put BCM uppers on two BM lowers and had no issues although I did replace both triggers with Geissele SSAs.