PDA

View Full Version : How much is my AR worth?

JMCSD
08-03-12, 12:22
Hey Guys,

Hang around here a lot but don't post too often. Here's the deal, I've hit a hard time, plan to move to another state and have made the difficult decision to sell my AR. The parts that I ordered to put the rifle together are as follows:

Palmetto State Armory Lower
Del-ton 16 inch mid-length upper (Chromoly
YHM Specter Length forearm (YHM-9638)
YHM Low Profile Gas block and also a YHM Phantom Com/Flash hider (5C2)
The lower is outfitted with Magpul furniture all way around. I'd be selling it along with 6 pmags.

http://i.imgur.com/gBwIv.jpg

If I remember correctly I spent some around 900-950 before purchasing the additional mags and such. I've only put about 1000 rounds through her too :(.

What is a reasonable asking price. Please let me know what important details I've left out.

Thanks,
Joe

ParanoidCivilian
08-03-12, 12:28
$600, The Del-Ton upper is not very desirable.

BCmJUnKie
08-03-12, 12:31
The problem with selling your rifle is that not everyone is looking for that set-up.

Even when going top of the line everything, people dont run their set ups the same.

I normally say your best bet would be to part it out and sell it however....(and dont take offense)

You didnt exactly go "Top of the line" on this build. You spent a little under what you could have bought a Colt for, and the resale would have been much higher.

If I had to throw a price out there I would say $550-650.

JMCSD
08-03-12, 12:31
$600, The Del-Ton upper is not very desirable.

Fair enough, I can understand that. It's a shame though cause the upper new cost damn near that much with the parts I had them put on it prior to shipping.

JMCSD
08-03-12, 12:34
The problem with selling your rifle is that not everyone is looking for that set-up.

Even when going top of the line everything, people dont run their set ups the same.

I normally say your best bet would be to part it out and sell it however....(and dont take offense)

You didnt exactly go "Top of the line" on this build. You spent a little under what you could have bought a Colt for, and the resale would have been much higher.

If I had to throw a price out there I would say $550-650.

Valid point. If I'm honest if (well... when) I build another one in the future it'll be a lot different. And yes, no offense taken. I didn't go top of the line in the slightest.... but in my defense I wouldn't consider this... well.... completely a 'budget build'. I haven't been doing this for very long though so please go easy on me if I am mistaken.

Thank you for the input.

BCmJUnKie
08-03-12, 12:37
Valid point. If I'm honest if (well... when) I build another one in the future it'll be a lot different. And yes, no offense taken. I didn't go top of the line in the slightest.... but in my defense I wouldn't consider this... well.... completely a 'budget build'. I haven't been doing this for very long though so please go easy on me if I am mistaken.

Thank you for the input.

Ya buddy, Like I said, I wasnt tryin to be rude.

At least you know why Colt or BCM, DD etc are recommended rifles.

Not just for HD, "SHTF", but if someone does decide to sell it to fund another rifle, you can get what its worth.

JMCSD
08-03-12, 12:40
Ya buddy, Like I said, I wasnt tryin to be rude.

At least you know why Colt or BCM, DD etc are recommended rifles.

Not just for HD, "SHTF", but if someone does decide to sell it to fund another rifle, you can get what its worth.

Man I'd love to have got a BCM rifle. But obviously finances were taken into consideration. I also hadn't planned on selling this rifle ever. Not because its special... but it's my first build. I like my rifle :(. But I do appreciate the information. I honestly didn't think you were rude in the slightest.

DeltaSierra
08-03-12, 13:32
Man I'd love to have got a BCM rifle. But obviously finances were taken into consideration. I also hadn't planned on selling this rifle ever. Not because its special... but it's my first build. I like my rifle :(. But I do appreciate the information. I honestly didn't think you were rude in the slightest.

Obviously, if finances had been taken into consideration you would have just bought a BCM to begin with....

Look, you have a sub-par collection of junk (sorry, just stating the facts) that isn't worth more than $600-$650, unless you happen to find some poor soul that doesn't know any better that would actually pay more than that...

Radar363
08-03-12, 13:54
I'm not sure where you live but on one of the local gun sites I've seen lower quality rifles sold or traded at close to $1000. I wouldn't pay that much but people that don't know the difference think Colt/BCM/DD and Del-ton/DPMS/Windham are all made to the same specs and only the roll mark is different.
The PSA lower alone could bring close to 300 (yes, I've seen used Zombie lowers sell for more than a new unblemished BCM).
There is a High Standard HS-15 listed at 900 and the seller claims it is 'mil-spec'....:sad:

filthy phil
08-03-12, 17:47

Look, you have a sub-par collection of junk (sorry, just stating the facts) that isn't worth more than $600-$650, unless you happen to find some poor soul that doesn't know any better that would actually pay more than that...

lmao
harsh:D

seb5
08-03-12, 18:06
At a gun show I'd expect to see it for $800.00-$900.00. Obviously on this site it's not that desirable. But still, at a show, people will just see an AR with magpul furniture and a rail. Expect about $700.00 to sale it unless you happen to come across the right person. Keep in mind that you never get what you paid for it. My builds with top of the line parts are still used to many people. My builds always cost more than I can sale them for or buy a complete rifle for. It's part of getting exactly what you want/need. Live and learn!

d90king
08-03-12, 18:27
$600ish unless you find a suckah... $60-70 for mags.

Edward78
08-03-12, 18:37
Its worth about $700

Ed

ralph
08-03-12, 18:38
Seb5 has the right idea.. One of the very few things gunshows are good for, are the disposing of unwanted/uneeded items..This being a election year, I'd say take it to a show and see what you can get.. You might be surprised..I've gotten rid of a few rifles,pistols, I did'nt want, that were'nt worth alot this way, more than once, I got more than I figured I'd get, Of course, expect to get lo-balled alot.. I sold a M48a Yugo Mauser,I had bought when I had a C&R, within 60 seconds of walking through the door once..It had a pitted bore, and I even told the guy, he looked down the bore asked what I wanted, I told him, and he bought it...I could'nt leave fast enough...

Tzook
08-03-12, 20:40
Though people here (rightfully so) wouldn't be terribly interested in the Del Ton stuff, that isn't true unfortunately of the rest of the gun community. You will have much, much better luck at a gun show, on a local gun forum, or on TOS.