PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps is the first white male to win 20 medals in the Olympics.

SHIVAN
08-03-12, 12:55
Pretty awesome, right?

LHS
08-03-12, 13:11
Pretty awesome, right?

Who gives a shit that he's a white male? (I'm guessing that's the point, i.e. who cares that so-and-so is the first black/hispanic/female/transgendered/polka-dot/whatever to accomplish something)

SHIVAN
08-03-12, 13:40
Who gives a shit that he's a white male?

Racist.

The_War_Wagon
08-03-12, 13:58
... and the punchline is? :confused:

AR15barrels
08-03-12, 14:04
Damn, I didn't know he was the first white male.
I thought he was the first person...

So who was the first handicapped black woman to win 20 medals in the special olympics?

SHIVAN
08-03-12, 14:24
... and the punchline is...

...obvious.

Yep, it is. Plain as the nose on your face.

LHS
08-03-12, 14:33
Racist.

:D :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-03-12, 15:00
OK, I'll go where no one wants to go........

swimmers get too many bites at the apple to win medals. 100,200, 400m versions of the same race, medleys both individual and group.

Trap guys don't get different shots at medals by using 9, 8 and 7 shot. Shotputs don't do all kinds of different weights, do they?

Don't get me wrong, those swimmers are excellent athletes. In High School I swam and played water polo so I know what kind of athletes they are and the time commitments, but how many gold medals can a freestyler get? The fact that swimmers can range from 100 to 400 yard versions justs shows how little distinction there is between these events.

Nathan_Bell
08-03-12, 15:14
Who gives a shit that he's a white male? (I'm guessing that's the point, i.e. who cares that so-and-so is the first black/hispanic/female/transgendered/polka-dot/whatever to accomplish something)

That's how I read it.

Army Chief
08-03-12, 15:20
Nicely played, Ed.

AC

Doc Safari
08-03-12, 15:22
All I know is that Sally Ride was the First Lesbian in Space.

chadbag
08-03-12, 15:28
For those having a hard time understanding the point of this, please read the first paragraph of this article and you will understand

http://todayinlondonblog.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/03/13102685-gabby-douglas-gold-medals-are-made-out-of-sweat-blood-and-tears?ocid=ansmsnbc11

(Not to diminish Gabby Douglas's Gold Medal -- outstanding effort!!!)

--

Moose-Knuckle
08-03-12, 16:48
Shivan = :lol:

Thanks man, I needed that. :D

Moose-Knuckle
08-03-12, 16:52

swimmers get too many bites at the apple to win medals. 100,200, 400m versions of the same race, medleys both individual and group.

Trap guys don't get different shots at medals by using 9, 8 and 7 shot. Shotputs don't do all kinds of different weights, do they?

Don't get me wrong, those swimmers are excellent athletes. In High School I swam and played water polo so I know what kind of athletes they are and the time commitments, but how many gold medals can a freestyler get? The fact that swimmers can range from 100 to 400 yard versions justs shows how little distinction there is between these events.

Yeah, but Phelps can never top what American shotgunner Kimberly Rhode has done either.

Kimberly Rhode sets U.S. record

"the first American with individual Gold medals in five straight Olympics"

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/shooting/story/_/id/8210910/2012-summer-olympics-us-kimberly-rhode-wins-skeet-gold-fifth-straight-medal

theblackknight
08-03-12, 17:01
Veiled racism really burns me.

Someone who is "African-American" has dual citizenship,if that even possible.

Why does everyone confuse nationality and ethnic heritage.

Zhurdan
08-03-12, 17:01
Goram haters gonna hate!

AR15barrels
08-03-12, 17:27
Why does everyone confuse nationality and ethnic heritage.

Because there is no such thing as an "american" ethnic heritage unless you are talking about the native americans that were displaced when the white man came here...

tb-av
08-03-12, 18:03
You know what's interesting...... It's really hard to find the interview where they asked her about the flag ceremony. I thought it was the same interview as posted above but now I can find no reference to it.

I expect it's because she spoke of God and Country.

D O U G L A S

U S A G O L D

feedramp
08-03-12, 18:22
So who was the first handicapped black woman to win 20 medals in the special olympics?
Janet Reno.

M4Fundi
08-03-12, 21:15
Sad that journalism today is just shamelessly a business. Racism sells :(

SHIVAN
08-03-12, 21:48
http://news.yahoo.com/the-white-world-of-sports--what-gabby-douglas’-vault-into-olympic-history-means.html

You guys think I'm crazy huh....?

SHIVAN
08-03-12, 21:53
Yeah, but Phelps can never top what American shotgunner Kimberly Rhode has done either.

Kimberly Rhode sets U.S. record

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/shooting/story/_/id/8210910/2012-summer-olympics-us-kimberly-rhode-wins-skeet-gold-fifth-straight-medal

First white woman to do it???

uwe1
08-03-12, 22:27
Because there is no such thing as an "american" ethnic heritage unless you are talking about the native americans that were displaced when the white man came here...

But.....are they really "Native" Americans since it is believed that their ancestors really came from Asia via the land bridge at the Bering Strait? :D

Raven Armament
08-03-12, 23:01
na·tive   [ney-tiv] Show IPA
adjective
being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being: one's native land.
belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature; inherent: native ability; native grace.
belonging by birth to a people regarded as indigenous to a certain place, especially a preliterate people: Native guides accompanied the expedition through the rain forest.
of indigenous origin, growth, or production: native pottery.
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the indigenous inhabitants of a place or country: native customs; native dress.

I was born in America. That means I'm native to America.

Indians are from India. American Indians are those that originally crossed the Bering Strait and were found by whites a few times until Columbus thought he arrived in India, so he called them Indians. The name stuck.

American Indians are not indigenous to America, they came from Asia.

chadbag
08-04-12, 00:15

I don't know. The standard American culture is the American ethnic heritage. No matter your color (just like hispanics can be of any race). Cowboy hats, hotdogs, Apple pie, Springsteen (:( ), Chevrolet, and the AR15 etc are all part of the American ethnic heritage.

--

Sensei
08-04-12, 00:18

I agree - get rid of the extra distances and settle on the 100 meter to crown swimming champions. In fact, maybe we should do the same for the track events. Perhaps all we really need is the 100 meter sprint and marathon to determine the best runners. That way, guys like Phelps and Carl Lewis can't rack up medals running similar events.

Look on the bright side. By applying this standard, we are being fair to both backs and whites. Then, there is the added benefit that the Olympics could be completed in 1/2 the time to allow a speedy return to regular programming.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-04-12, 01:17
Only the modern press could take a nationalistic them-vs-us corporate infused ad orgy and debase it by bringing up race, as in skin color not the measurement of time over distance versus competitors 'race'.

Can't we hear more about the races and less about race?

And in the name of all things non-denominationally Holy, let's get back to the true spirit of the games and have them done in the nude- I'd go for all-hurdling/all-the-time if so.

http://youtu.be/8PmD7FhbZCg

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-12, 02:16
http://news.yahoo.com/the-white-world-of-sports--what-gabby-douglas’-vault-into-olympic-history-means.html

Nope, infact feel the same way.

I saw this interview when Costas said that, also when Béla Károlyi said; 'now there will be a boom in African-Americans in gymnastics'.

First white woman to do it???

One would have to assume so as no one reports on white accomplishments.

Moose-Knuckle
08-04-12, 20:39
*cough Make that 22 Medals cough *

18 of which are Gold. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/22-facts-michael-phelps-record-22-olympic-medals-000650620--oly.html

Belmont31R
08-04-12, 22:06
Only the modern press could take a nationalistic them-vs-us corporate infused ad orgy and debase it by bringing up race, as in skin color not the measurement of time over distance versus competitors 'race'.

Can't we hear more about the races and less about race?

And in the name of all things non-denominationally Holy, let's get back to the true spirit of the games and have them done in the nude- I'd go for all-hurdling/all-the-time if so.

http://youtu.be/8PmD7FhbZCg

Thats the type of chick that just screams fun.

Gabby earned her medal just like anyone else does. Its obvious certain skin colors make a person better at certain sports. Just watched the womens 100M sprint and not a white girl in sight. Good for black people and black females.

I do agree about how many swimming events there are. Its like they stuck swimming in a probability calculator and created as many events as they could. It gets old after a few races.

chadbag
08-04-12, 23:44
Just for the record, there are big differences between 100m, 200m, and 400m swimming events. Just as there are big differences between 100m, 200m, and 400m "Athletics" events (as the BBC calls them) on the track.

Good for Michael Phelps! And good for Gabby Douglas!

And good for the Jamaican woman who won the 100m dash tonight!

--

Belmont31R
08-05-12, 00:15
Just for the record, there are big differences between 100m, 200m, and 400m swimming events. Just as there are big differences between 100m, 200m, and 400m "Athletics" events (as the BBC calls them) on the track.

And good for the Jamaican woman who won the 100m dash tonight!

--

You could do the same thing to every sport. I once did a trap event of 500 singles. Like 100x5. I think we are just saying swimming has taken the combinations of events so far its a lot easier for a swimmer to be the most decorated Olympian of all time vs other sports. I mean we could do 4X100 Skeet or any combination of events to the extreme as swimming has done, and create possibilities of people winning over 10 medals in one Olympics.

M4Fundi
08-05-12, 01:28
There should be more beach volleyball events:p

dwhitehorne
08-05-12, 05:31
There should be more beach volleyball events:p

No kidding. All my life I have been watching grown men wearing tight pants throwing a football. I have definately been watching the wrong sport. David

The_War_Wagon
08-05-12, 07:05

OK... I didn't have THAT reference, before NOW.

Aside from the shooting sports, I pay ZERO attention to the Olympics. So are Jesse Jackson & AL Sharpton gonna DEMAND that the WASR-10 emptied in the side of a crackhouse driveby, Glock Foh-TAY across a bar parking lot at 2am, and Hi-Point in a meth lab shootout bust, be added as Olympic competitions, to address the INHERENT racial inequalities of Olympic Shooting? :rolleyes:

montanadave
08-05-12, 16:18

Seconded. And just leave it at that.

chadbag
08-05-12, 23:08
You could do the same thing to every sport. I once did a trap event of 500 singles. Like 100x5. I think we are just saying swimming has taken the combinations of events so far its a lot easier for a swimmer to be the most decorated Olympian of all time vs other sports. I mean we could do 4X100 Skeet or any combination of events to the extreme as swimming has done, and create possibilities of people winning over 10 medals in one Olympics.

Well, looking at http://www.london2012.com/shooting/ it seems that there are 9 events for men in the "shooting sports" so someone could beat out Phelps shooting if they could shoot in and get Gold in every shooting event held.

-