PDA

View Full Version : Want to take the plunge, first set of plates, dont want to dive into the shallow end!

DJTHEMAC
08-03-12, 16:18
Howdy Gents
I am looking for some advice. I am interested in purchasing my first plate carrier/plate setup and need some direction.

To get some basic info out of the way: I am looking for advice regarding what make/model of plates to buy, I am a civillian, planning to create a set up for SHTF what have you. I am thinking about going with a PIG plate carrier, as it has quite a large set of followers, and excellent reviews.

I do not know exactly what strength of plates I need, but I am thinking standalone level IV, due to the proliferation of the m855 available at all major retail outlets in my area. I would like to keep it under a grand for the entire set up, but I plan to save up for these items over the course of 6 months so, plus or minus a few benjamins is not a big deal.

Also I have heard the term spalling spoken about with regards to rifle plate damage after bullet impact, how often does this happen, and what if anything is suggested to mitigate these effects?

Thanks

bruin
08-03-12, 17:36
FNG here... but please thoroughly read DocGKR's post and his hard armor tests:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19910

That should get you started on plate selection. Level III can stop M855 fine, depending on the plate. Spalling is an issue mostly with steel plates; you'd have to wrap the strike face with several layers of kevlar to catch the spall. I don't think it would mitigate ricochets, though.

I'm a civvie like you and put together a PC kit not long ago; my priorities were effectiveness against M855/193, low cost, lightweight, and sized to fit me (I'm a skinny dude). I settled on a pair of TAP Gamma+ 10x12 in a Tyr Tactical BPC. A no-frills setup under 12 lbs for under $360. The BPC really is an outstanding plate carrier for the money; it has features even the popular $200+ PCs don't. If you don't need a cumberbund, this should be at the top of your list.

In the end, make sure your plates work (find some tests to confirm this), make sure they're big enough, and make sure you wear them high enough. The rest (material, cut, curve, PC, etc.) is your preference.

DJTHEMAC
08-03-12, 18:33
thanks for the info and link!!

I think the TYR BPC is a great cost effective option. Do you feel sufficiently protected without a cummberund / side armor? Can you use full 10X12 rectangle plates for the back or do you need the clipped corner plates for the rear as well?

I think the gamma plus plates are a great option, and I agree that class III may be all I need. Have you had any experience with www.bulletproofme.com

bruin
08-03-12, 22:48
I wanted to keep it as light as possible, so I ruled out side plates right away. With the my sides free of plates/cumberbund, I draw from the belt more freely as well. Side plates won't protect your heart (they cover the lower part if you wear them really high); for me the small added coverage wasn't worth the cost, bulk, and weight.

The Tyr BPC takes the same ESAPI profile plates front and back. A rectangular backplate won't fit. I've heard you can request it to fit swimmer's cut plates. Contrary to what Tyr will tell you, 10x12 plates will fit fine in a medium BPC. You have about 1.5" depth in the plate pockets, which gives you room for backers even with a 1" thick plate. No experience with Bulletproofme personally.

Tigereye
09-06-12, 21:31
bruin,
Can you tell me where you found the Gamma plates?
Thanks,
Eric

pentosinjunkie
09-06-12, 23:01
Consider running something like the Eagle low-vis or Mayflower low-pro carriers, so you can have your armor and load-bearing gear separate...this'll allow you to run just the armor without the added bulk, should you choose. I like the Mayflower solution; the BFG Rackminus will clip directly in...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD