PDA

View Full Version : The Made in Germany Schmeisser AR-15 ...

Army Chief
08-03-12, 19:50
Was surfing on the German side of the web earlier today and came across something mildly interesting: the Schmeisser line of AR-15s (http://www.schmeisser-germany.de/en/products_civil.html) currently being manufactured in Germany. Having lived there for some 10 years, I already knew about the Oberland Arms models and the HK MR series, but had no idea that the late Hugo Schmeisser had a namesake company building Stoner rifles. Not sure the news is all-that-earth shattering, but as a student of history and weapon design, I couldn't help but find a certain poetic overtone to the discovery. =]

AC

MarkG
08-03-12, 20:44
They had a booth at SS two years ago. I didn't see them this year. I do know they do not have any connection to Hugo other than leveraging his last name.

Army Chief
08-03-12, 21:25
They had a booth at SS two years ago. I didn't see them this year. I do know they do not have any connection to Hugo other than leveraging his last name.

Good point. It would seem to be a co-venture between a couple of guys with no relationship to the Schmeisser family or interests, but it was an interesting namesake choice nonetheless.

Odd that we still think about the MP-40 when we hear the name, when we probably ought to be thinking about the StG44. In many ways, Schmeisser was the father of the intermediate battle rifle.

AC

MarkG
08-04-12, 00:18
Good point. It would seem to be a co-venture between a couple of guys with no relationship to the Schmeisser family or interests, but it was an interesting namesake choice nonetheless.

Odd that we still think about the MP-40 when we hear the name, when we probably ought to be thinking about the StG44. In many ways, Schmeisser was the father of the intermediate battle rifle.

AC

... and the AK-47. Like the new Schmeisser, the only thing Kalashnikov had to do with the AK was his name. The Russians are and always have been a bunch of thief's...