PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 90's 2000's Sig P220 In 45acp...Any one here love them? have good reliabilty?

davebee456
08-03-12, 23:10
Vintage 90's 2000's Sig P220 In 45acp...Any one here love them? have good reliability?
I just got a mint 96 P220, I have heard they make great reliable 45acp pistols for carry or home defense, then I read a few times that the P220 in 45 was the worst of the P-Series in terms of reliability.
Any good or bad stories about this platform?
I got rid of a Hk45C (I never it shot well) and replaced it with this and a Glock 30 Gen4 i bought with my GSSF.
here she is...
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/dgbee456/Screenshot2012-07-29at113132PM.png

El Cid
08-03-12, 23:29
My uncle had an early model (had the heel clip mag release) that I shot a LOT. That was in the late 80's or early 90's. It was problem free for several hundred rounds. Not sure when Sig started their downward slide but I think yours is from the safe period.

Tzook
08-03-12, 23:37
I would definitely say you're in the safe period. Sigs used to be regarded as some of the best pistols money can buy... Your gun definitely came from that time.

loupav
08-04-12, 02:27
I have one just like that but slightly different grips. My dad gave it to me when I turned 19. So it hold sentimental value. Other than that, it was a great shooter when I shot it. Now my HKs get all the range time.

filthy phil
08-04-12, 04:44
i've had 2-3 of those. there's a lotta x cop220's guns on the mkt you used to be able to get for $400

Microalign
08-04-12, 08:23
I've never had a problem with any of the old P220s that I have owned. All of them have been reliable, accurate guns. I'm currently selling this one off. It's a great gun, but I just prefer higher magazine capacity, and the economics of the .40S&W:
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee465/scott19761442/DSC00329.jpg

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-04-12, 09:09
First pistol I ever bought in 2001 at the exchange. I love it very accurate, I used to shoot the I beams that hold the concrete barriers at the range in pungo va. They were 200m away and no more than 4" wide.

signal4l
08-04-12, 09:47
I cracked the frame on one duty weapon and cracked the locking insert on another. My personal P220 (circa 1995) has a lower round count and is still running fine.

I have carried them since 1999 and been through the armorer school a few times. My recommendation is to keep the recoil spring changed. Sig suggests you change it every 5000 rounds. I would change it 3000 - 4000 rounds on a personal gun. The roll pin that holds the breech block in place needs to be switched out as well. If the block gets loose the slide cracks. Its a good idea to keep a few trigger springs handy as well. The end occasionally snaps off especially if you dry fire alot

The main issue I have had with the 220 is mag related. The old "zipper back" or spot welded mags are crap. The feed lips spread and the welds pop. The only mags I trust are the most recent version. I use the stainless steel mags with the indentation near the back of the mag.This keeps the top round from working forward. I broke a few of the plastic base plates on the early 8 round mags when I dropped them on the concrete floor of our range. I use the metal base plates on all of my duty mags. This reduces capacity to 7 rounds. If I am stuck with 8 round mags I only load 7 rounds. I have had far too many failures to feed the when the pistol is loaded 8 +1 . One local PD had good luck with wolf extra power mag springs. I havnt tried them

Check here for a decent armorer DVD and good source for parts:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-armorers-course-dvd_p-series.html

The P220 is a cool gun. I think there are better choices for a defensive weapon. It was a very popular cop gun back in the 1990's--early 2000's. It is past its prime as a LE weapon. I will probably purchase my latest duty (2004 vintage) weapon if given the chance. For a defensive/ cop weapon I prefer the P228/ P226 or one of the Glock 9mm's

davebee456
08-04-12, 11:01
this is will just serve as a 45 acp Range gun and collectors piece.
I ccw a S&W Jframe 38 60% of the time and a Glock 19 or Glock 32
the rest of the time.
I have the glock 30 gen 4 for 45. Home Defense and etc if it works well
I still distrust Gen 4's but have heard the 45 acp's are good to go.

Striker
08-04-12, 11:50
I was looking into buying a P220 a few months back and what I found was that most guys that put a lot of rounds down range and had tried one said the gun was fragile. In fact I found a lot of reviews from LEOs that started with a P220 and eventually switched to a P226 9mm because the 226 was more durable and less work to keep running. So I decided not to buy one. I actually didn't buy anything, but I would be more comfortable with an HK/USP if I wanted a .45.

My understanding is that the Gen 4 Glock 21 has been the most reliable of all the new Glocks. If it's on your list, do a quick search on it. Hope that's helpful.

Magic_Salad0892
08-04-12, 20:49
My uncle shoots SIGs exclusively, and used to carry a P220.

He loved it, but gave up .45ACP because he felt like the SIG design favored the 9x19mm round.

Carries a SIG P226 now.

I personally feel that if you're gonna get a Glock or a SIG, you should get ONE or the other, and put together a mental list of why you're going with the one you're choosing, then do the same with the caliber.

And FWIW: I don't care for internal extractors. Even on SIGs.

Edm
08-04-12, 22:01
Most accurate pistol I ever owned. A freaking laser.

acaixguard
08-05-12, 13:55
I had an early 2000's model P220. I didn't shoot it that much, but throughout the amount I shot, it was very reliable and accurate. I got rid of all my SIGs (and other DA/SA guns) because I ultimately, the having 2 trigger pulls was not for me. Additionally, I didn't care for the high bore axis, having the slide release so close to where my thumb rode, and having to worry about a decocker.
The SIGs from 10 years ago or older are great though, as long as you can deal with the attributes described above.

BIGUGLY
08-05-12, 15:49
Have one from 2001, great gun. Has approximately 2500 to 3000 rounds through it. Have not had one problem that was the guns fault. Only problems were from a bad batch of ammo, ie missing primers or bullet set back that caused double feeds. Made for some great training though.

brickboy240
08-05-12, 19:11
I have a 1977 made Browning BDA, which is actually a P220 SIG in 45ACP. Says "SIS Sauer System - Made in W. Germany" on one side of the slide and "Browning" on the other.

My uncle bought it new back in the day and willed it to me when I got out of college in 1990. My first 45ACP pistol, actually.

To be honest, I don't ever recall this pistol ever jamming or giving a lick of trouble. The thing just flat out runs...although I admit I do normally shoot my 1911s more than this pistol. It is reasonably accurate and seems to be a very well made pistol.

The d/a is smoother than many other d/a s/a pistols and even though I don't run tons of ammo through the thing, I'd never part with it because a trouble free 45 is just something I don't feel the need to get rid of! LOL

If you like the P220...you are not alone. I have to admit, this old thing is one of the most reliable single stack 45s I have ever owned.

-brickboy240

fowler
08-09-12, 07:20
I have had a few early German 220's and they are reliable ,but not as strong as a the new Exter USA made new ones. The finish is weaker and the 3 piece welded slide is rust prone and slide&breech plug spread. The new USA made onepiece stainless slide with the Ionbond nitron finnish is stronger. I carry the a 2011 made standard P220r and it has fired near 1,500 rds with no jam's. Dead accurate and reliable. 9rd's of 45acp. and 2 spare magazine's is enough for defence. I prefer it to the 1911 for carry. For under $1000 it's one of the most reliable 45acp's right out of the box. In test's some have shot 10,000rds in one session without a bobble. I consider the P220R one of the best carry defence auto's out there and I have tryed Glock,hk,SW ,Springer's . Keep it lubed and rails wet with good lube and change the recoil springs every 10,000rds and it will last 100,000's of rd's. I use Shooters choice oil and high tech grease on mine. At about $25 a box of 50rds firing 10,000rds it would cost $250,000 for the ammo,so $18 for a recoil spring and $20 for oil&grease ,plus $800 for the pistol is not much for the best.

ikor
08-09-12, 16:52
I have one that saved my ass years back and won't knock it , but they are obsolete now and even the 9mms are close to that IMO. Nice gun but not reliable enough for serious use for me. Mine stays in the safe now.

fowler
08-09-12, 19:34
The 220 series is not that old compared to my 1911's,J-frames and Browning Hi-power's which are old and long in the tooth. The 226 is still a prime combat service auto today. I won,t knock my old irons that saved me in the past and won,t knock the suberb reliable 220r of today which I pack 24/7 over my oldster's.

Rinspeed
08-10-12, 13:44
Mine was made in 95, I have a little over 2000 rounds through it and no malfuntions other than a broken trigger return spring.

davebee456
08-10-12, 18:25
Today I brought her to the range I only put 50 rounds through it today of FMJ and 7 Gold Dots, no failures.
This gun is very accurate.
This P220 was near a virgin, so much so that the 57 rounds I put through her made me feel guilty.

I am glad I bought this german made, beefed up frame mid 90s model.
It is very accurate and i think it is a really beautiful gun.

I sold my hk45C for 850. and i bought this for $620 OTD, I feel a little regret because the Hk45c is a tank and a great gun but I was never able to shoot it that great, in fact i shoot all my g19's better.
Thanks for the help on here guys.

S-1
08-10-12, 21:12
I have one that saved my ass years back and won't knock it , but they are obsolete now and even the 9mms are close to that IMO. Nice gun but not reliable enough for serious use for me. Mine stays in the safe now.
:rolleyes:

Alaskapopo
08-10-12, 22:36
Vintage 90's 2000's Sig P220 In 45acp...Any one here love them? have good reliability?
I just got a mint 96 P220, I have heard they make great reliable 45acp pistols for carry or home defense, then I read a few times that the P220 in 45 was the worst of the P-Series in terms of reliability.
Any good or bad stories about this platform?
I got rid of a Hk45C (I never it shot well) and replaced it with this and a Glock 30 Gen4 i bought with my GSSF.
here she is...
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/dgbee456/Screenshot2012-07-29at113132PM.png

They were much better guns back then than they are today. One issue with the P220 is the trigger return spring can brake and if it does your done. The 220 I had was reliable. Like all sigs it was top heavy with snappy muzzle flip and a lot reset on the trigger. Better guns available today but a fun classic to own if your nostalgic.

S-1
08-10-12, 23:41
They were much better guns back then than they are today. One issue with the P220 is the trigger return spring can brake and if it does your done. The 220 I had was reliable. Like all sigs it was top heavy with snappy muzzle flip and a lot reset on the trigger. Better guns available today but a fun classic to own if your nostalgic.

The newer P220's are much better weapon. They have stainless steel slides, better extractors, better finishes and are all around better hard use guns. Avoid the P220s with stainless slides and internal extractors. They are very problematic. Newer ones with external extractors are GTG, but they still require more maintenance than the P226's. SIG is currently recommending their 20lbs recoil spring, which is eliminating the need for higher maintenance and makes the P220 into a VERY smooth shooter.

Alaskapopo
08-11-12, 00:50
The newer P220's are much better weapon. They have stainless steel slides, better extractors, better finishes and are all around better hard use guns. Avoid the P220s with stainless slides and internal extractors. They are very problematic. Newer ones with external extractors are GTG, but they still require more maintenance than the P226's. SIG is currently recommending their 20lbs recoil spring, which is eliminating the need for higher maintenance and makes the P220 into a VERY smooth shooter.

I don't trust anyting from Sig any more. The older guns were put together much better. There is a whole thread with several pages on this forum about sig problems. (Sig Face Palm thread)
Pat

S-1
08-11-12, 03:46
I don't trust anyting from Sig any more. The older guns were put together much better. There is a whole thread with several pages on this forum about sig problems. (Sig Face Palm thread)
Pat

Really? That's why a guy that has worked for SIG in the past said that he wouldn't buy ANY SIGs with the older stamped slides for numerous reasons? Several SEALs have also said the same thing that mirrors his obseravations. It also mirrors my own experience with SIGs. But we should all discredit what we have to say because "alaskapopo", who is a cop in rural Alaska, and plays gun games says so? Really?

Alaskapopo
08-11-12, 05:13
Really? That's why a guy that has worked for SIG in the past said that he wouldn't buy ANY SIGs with the older stamped slides for numerous reasons? Several SEALs have also said the same thing that mirrors his obseravations. It also mirrors my own experience with SIGs. But we should all discredit what we have to say because "alaskapopo", who is a cop in rural Alaska, and plays gun games says so? Really?

Really is that the best you can do.
I suppose all the complaints on Sigs on this site and others are all wrong. I am supposed to just ignore the malfunctions I have seen in Sigs issued to federal agents in my area. I should take the word of some anonymous internet Navy SEAL groupie (who is afraid to tell us what he does for a living or where he gets his insights but is more than happy to slam others like myself who do tell people their training and background) who says Sigs are good and they do no wrong despite all the evidence to the contrary. Yea I am going to do that. You're just a Sig apologist pure and simple. Oh and I noticed won’t respond to my PM trying to settle this little dispute you seem to have with me but your more than happy to take cheap shots in the open forum. What a class act.
Pat

fowler
08-11-12, 07:30
All non-sense put aside the Sig 220 is a fine 45acp pill platform. I have had a old 1991 and still have a 2011 220r. I prefer the new updated over the old. Why spend $500-600 for a used pistol when you can get new for about $150 more. There is alot of Sig hater's out there on the web,but first hand real operaters love them and trust them in harms way. I find comfort with a Sig 220r in the holster and nite stand. Gents it's not a HIGHPOINT.